• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Farlander

Game Designer
Verified
Sep 29, 2021
Horses are best when they don't control like a horse (ironically enough), but when they have similar physics/way to move like the main character. This might make them look more unrealistic, but far more comfortable to navigate with.

EDIT: Of course, if the point of the game would be to bond with a horse or something, then there are arguments for realistic horse controls to be the better choice. But in abstraction, horses are better when they don't control like horses.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
In the 100+ hours I played BOTW, I think I only rode a horse like 2 or 3 times. I just had way more fun gliding and climbing everywhere.

rainking187

Oct 25, 2017
People really liked Agro? Every time I actually needed them they were always on the opposite side of the battlefield. Annoyed me the entire game.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why is a horse/mount the primary way to traverse every open world game these days? Vehicles are always more fun due speed/physics. Part of the reason why I liked Days Gone was because it was fun to rip around that world on the bike once you upgraded it enough to not worry much about fuel or damage.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
I defiently would like to see games use horses more like... well animals that they are, rather than just a fancy medieval bike.

Pendas

Oct 28, 2017
Torrent feels amazing to control, and not just because of the double jump.

There are three things I look for whenever it comes to riding horses in Open World Games.
1) You can do everything you do off the Horse, on the Horse.
2) Instant Summon.
3) Better Mobility

Elden Ring Ring is the only game where I consistently use the Horse for Travel.

anaa

Unshakable Resolve
Jun 30, 2019
People really liked Agro? Every time I actually needed them they were always on the opposite side of the battlefield. Annoyed me the entire game.
People who liked agro are the same people that liked yorda or trico. The fact that they are sometimes a nuisance makes them seem more like a thing with a mind of its own and more endearing in a way. e.g. real pets/children/etc are at times frustrating and yet we still love em.

this magic trick, to your point, isnt going to work on everyone, but for the ones it does work for it can be quite effective

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Dunno why devs insist on making horses so damn difficult to control. Every game's fast method of transportation should be as easy to control and as convenient as Destiny's Sparrows. They control incredibly well and you can summon them in an instant just about anywhere.

The horse controls are better than average in Elden Ring, but trying to do any tight platforming sucks due to how turning the horse while stationary works. It's not even a more realistic approach, because I'm pretty damn sure that a horse can turn to any angle while standing at the same position.

Breath of the Wild's horse was basically useless due to all of its arbitrary limitations. I'd much rather have the Goron Mask from Majora's Mask back.

Red Dead Redemption 2's horses are expendable and control poorly. But everything in that game is going for realism over enjoyability, so that tracks.

The Witcher 3's horse has fewer limitations than RDR2 and Breath of the Wild's horses, but also probably has worse controls than either of them.

Chippewa Barr