• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
But they're everywhere!! I don't mind the walking but damn. Horsies be falling down off cliffs and running entire maps for our sake. Someone please let the horses take a rest.

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
I-Love-This-Post-Funny-Horse-Meme-Picture.jpg

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Why isn't there an open world horse game? Screw the asshole on your back, let me roam free and kick dragons in the face.

Garulon

Jul 22, 2020
I loved red dead's horses but getting them right is a ton of work. For some reason a lot of open world games have shitty joyless traversal and I can't work out why.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Torrent feels amazing to control, and not just because of the double jump.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
It cost hundreds of millions for a game (RDR2) to finally (albeit, only arguably) surpass Shadow of the Colossus in regard to horses/horse riding.

I agree OP. If the proper care isn't feasible to put into VG horses, then then focus should be put into just tuning around as your character.

Last edited:

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I want to ride a horse who can stand on its hind legs and start boxing.

Garulon

Jul 22, 2020
It cost hundreds of millions for a game (RDR2) to finally (albeit, only arguably) surpass Shadow of the Colossus in regard to horses/horse riding.

I agree OP. If the proper care isn't feasible to put into VG horses, then then for us should be out on just tuning around as your character

Morrowind didn't have horses or free fast travel and it was fine

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
How else am I supposed to traverse untraversable mountains in Skyrim?

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Really should be emphasized that most devs choosing not to have horses like shadow of the colossus or red dead isn't due to cost. It's mainly a design decision to make them less obtrusive and capable of skyrimming up mountains.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
The only one I liked was the one in SoTC... I forgot his name... Sorry
Agro.

I remember I got a Buy gift card one year for my birthyday, and I thought it was only worth $25, so I bought SotC with it, only to find out it was actually $50. went back a couple of days later and bought the GC version of Twilight Princess after finishing SotC.

Boy did I have some trouble controlling Epona despite it being vastly simpler mechanics wise.

OP
OP
julia crawford

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
It's either that or run everywhere on foot for games with fantasy/historical settings.

You should try it, it's a lot of fun. Walking in Witcher 3 is honestly a lot better, lots of sound design that you miss otherwise like crackling trees and stuff. Walking through the woods in TW3 is extremely relaxing.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
Tell me about it. I am not even overriding the robots in Horizon and just straight up using fast travel and traveling by foot and it's a PITA but I refuse to ride any robots (horses I guess in a way).

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
I stuck with one horse in RDR2, because we had a bond. On the finest of saddles and mane styles. Apples galore.

I hated losing him late in the game.

Oct 27, 2017
I really like the horse in Ghost of Tsushima. There was enough weight there that it didn't feel weird and floaty like Assassin's Creed, but not realistic to the point of being annoying like RDRII. Also that the game lets you pick up collectibles while on the horse without losing speed. Been annoyed playing Forbidden West and having to slow down while picking up stuff on your mount.

Last edited:

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I generally don't use them when given the option. In most games I play where they're available there's too much in the world to miss if you just ride them around all the time, and getting on and off for encounters and collectibles gets annoying.

spyroflame0487

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
I loved red dead's horses but getting them right is a ton of work. For some reason a lot of open world games have shitty joyless traversal and I can't work out why.
Red Dead's horses are fantastic but i think what always bugged me is having to smash the A button to get them to top speed and keep going.
It's like they took the running controls from the human characters and forgot that they made an entire series where you simply hold down one button to go.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Red Dead's horses are fantastic but i think what always bugged me is having to smash the A button to get them to top speed and keep going.
It's like they took the running controls from the human characters and forgot that they made an entire series where you simply hold down one button to go.

if you do rythmic presses along with the galloping, then you don't need to spam to the point of annoyance, just like in RDR 1.

It also consumes less stamina that way IIRC.

RDR 2 is practically the only game where I enjoy the horse riding.

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
i was so pissed that i could not keep the deer in BotW. More fun then horses.

But yeah, i would prefere interesting fantasie beasts compared to horses.

Hoggle

Mar 25, 2021
SoTC still has my favourite horse because it controls like an actual horse. You kick it to tell it to trot or gallop, and you pull back on its reins to stop it. Otherwise it's horse AI dies the rest.

That seems to be the reason most people hate it because they try and "drive it" like a vehicle.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
SoTC still has my favourite horse because it controls like an actually horse. You kick it to tell it to Trott or gallop, and you pull back on its reins to stop it. Otherwise it's horse AI dies the rest.

That seems to be the reason most people hate it because they try and "drive it" like a vehicle.

As someone who has done a lot of horse riding irl i loved the horse in SoTC, it like real horses had a will of its own and will happily just take you where you want if you point it in the right direction.

There could be some stupid ai wonkiness at times, much like with horses irl.

i am a fan of the horses in red dead redemption 2 too, the autopilot mostly worked fine aside from the random hilarious horse crash.
200.gif