• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

InfiniteKing

Oct 26, 2017
It's some real stupid shit but OP you should probably just not have twitter and try to ignore more stuff on here. I know I do.

These tired ass jokes ain't going away

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
People use humor to cope. It's how I get through a lot of my day to day. Otherwise I'd probably be dead.

I get it, OP. I do. But Imma have to ask you to focus your attention elsewhere

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Ed3hZUp.gif

Sorry OP, hope this suits you better.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
how would you prefer people cope with the world around them? the world is fucked in just about every direction. dont be mad at people for finding a way to cope with things beyond just being angry and depressed. you dont think those people are tired too and know how messed up things are? past a certain point you kinda just have to accept that there isnt much you can do at the end of day and cope with it in whatever way you can instead of feeling like you need to hold the worlds burden on your shoulders 24/7 by being angry all the time. most people dont have the privilege to care about trying to fix the worlds problems because they can barely manage their own.

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
OP, you can be as miserable as you want, but don't drag the rest of us into your spiral of misery.

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
It's a satirical comment on how everything is shit because everything IS shit. We're passed the point of this kind of stuff making sense on a TV show of all places, that's fucked it is.

It's as much of a joke as it is a statement on how absurd this world is at the moment. A chuckle doesn't mean much when you see how horrified the person laughing actually is.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Like my mom says, "You have to laugh to keep from crying."

Most of us are painfully aware of how shitty things are. You can either dig down deep to find the strength to keep putting one foot in front of the other, or you sink further into despair. That's always easy, and people struggle to find that strength. At best, posts like what you quoted, maybe helps them cope a little easier. I don't take these jokes as a sign of apathy or making light of how serious the situation is, but their way of coping with the shitshow we live in now.

A good laugh does wonders for your mental and emotional state. I had to take a break from social media and following every crumb of news that's just a button press away. It helped immensely. Allowed me to recharge, ground myself mentally and emotionally again, then get back to it. I don't remember what it was, but I was watching something the other day, and I laughed so hard I had tears streaming down my face. It felt good, because I hadn't had a good laugh in a long time.

wisdom0wl

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
we're just extras in this tv show

... also it's def a coping mechanism for some people and a worn out joke for everyone else

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Like my mom says, "You have to laugh to keep from crying."

Most of us are painfully aware of how shitty things are. You can either dig down deep to find the strength to keep putting one foot in front of the other, or you sink further into despair. That's always easy, and people struggle to find that strength. At best, posts like what you quoted, maybe helps them cope a little easier. I don't take these jokes as a sign of apathy or making light of how serious the situation is, but their way of coping with the shitshow we live in now.

A good laugh does wonders for your mental and emotional state. I had to take a break from social media and following every crumb of news that's just a button press away. It helped immensely. Allowed me to recharge, ground myself mentally and emotionally again, then get back to it. I don't remember what it was, but I was watching something the other day, and I laughed so hard I had tears streaming down my face. It felt good, because I hadn't had a good laugh in a long time.

This is exactly how I'm working through my emotional toll right now.

I've used the joke that we're on some terrible alternate timeline before but not the season finale kinda joke, but I get it.

I spend a shameful amount of time in private doing what I would describe as a terrible 90's Jim Carrey impression for the sole sake of not being completely devoured by despair. I sometimes just spontaneously burst into dance in my kitchen, and I can't fucking dance. Definitely seems to bring some cheer to me, even if it looks like I'm acting like a goddamned fool in the face of increasingly terrible news.

Makes me really understand the idea of mania after trauma. I don't think I could tolerate my mental state raw right now -- I think it would literally be lethal for me to just take it 100% humorlessly.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
This is exactly how I'm working through my emotional toll right now.

I've used the joke that we're on some terrible alternate timeline before but not the season finale kinda joke, but I get it.

I spend a shameful amount of time in private doing what I would describe as a terrible 90's Jim Carrey impression for the sole sake of not being completely devoured by despair. I sometimes just spontaneously burst into dance in my kitchen, and I can't fucking dance. Definitely seems to bring some cheer to me, even if it looks like I'm acting like a goddamned fool in the face of increasingly terrible news.

Makes me really understand the idea of mania after trauma. I don't think I could tolerate my mental state raw right now -- I think it would literally be lethal for me to just take it 100% humorlessly.

Yeah, absorbing all of this and not expelling it isn't healthy. It's like your food not digesting properly and getting lodged in your bowels. It's toxic. Forming an emotional filter has helped me do wonders. Like, shoving it deep down, or ignoring it altogether isn't actually going to help process it, so instead, I allow myself to feel it. Be hurt. Be upset. Be angry. But then I let it pass through. Absorb something else that lifts my spirits and refuels me. It really does help, as hard as it is.

Tanerian

Feb 24, 2018
Just because someone makes jokes about something doesn't mean they don't take it seriously.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
It's textbook gallows humour. Human beings have been using it as a coping mechanism forever. Ever been to a funeral? It's extremely common to make jokes to cope with grief.

I swear this sounds like some true moral scold nonsense "kids these days with their Twitter".

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
It's a joke mechanism to rationalize the existential horror that is 2020.

Oct 26, 2017
"I'm sorry, did I take some subjects that are ugly and dark and soul-lacerating, painful... shitty, maybe unavoidable-in-life kinda stuff and I made it fun?! What a dick I must be!" -Doug Stanhope

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
People are really dying out there, getting murdered by the police or dying from a pandemic. Kids are still locked in cages. The world is on fire. This isn't a show, this isn't a game, this is real fucking life.
I had a bizarre dream where we were telecasting all of earth on to alien planets (yes, like the Southpark episode). The bigger the news here on earth, the more viewers on the alien worlds.

But, yeah, it's very dismissive.

Yeah, this isn't Mr. Robot Season 5...

Who and whose identity do I need to seduce, intercept, and hack to get that sweet, juicy, season 5 Mr. Robot D?

-COOLIO-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i'm just here to give the op what they wanted

*starts a slow clap and waits for others to join in*

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
I hear what you're saying, and I'm sure you're feeling sensitive because of the situation we are all in. Sometimes you can overreact or take things the wrong way, which in my opinion seems to be what happened. I'm sure you've got enough replies by now, but it's ok to feel that way. Maybe just don't make a thread about it and instead realize that everyone copes differently. Was that post simply "coping" or was he trying to be funny and get internet laughter? Who knows, but there's no point in assuming the latter.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
People have always used figurative language like metaphors or similes to help express their thoughts on things. Here's it's partly to express their powerlessness in most of what's happening to the world.

It's a good thing. They're not making light of the situation per se.

Wyvers

Banned
May 5, 2020
I think the fact that there's a global pandemic has just put every other major issue under a magnifying glass.

It is not the end of days.

Blent

Oct 26, 2017
East Midlands, England, UK
I do massively hate the select few phrases popularised on Reddit that have gradually seeped into the rest of online discourse.

"This is the weirdest timeline"
"Who's chopping onions?"
"Sir, this is a [retail store]", etc.

They are the worst.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
The problem is it wasn't an especially funny joke when it was told 3 years ago during the Meuller investigation... and now not only is it extremely tired, it's also laced with a snarky indifference to real suffering.

Life sucks, it doesn't need to suck any more because you aren't original enough to make any funny jokes.

Annatar86

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
"Wow, the script writers really outdid themselves this time."
"Can't wait to see what the season finale brings in November."
I see this shit all the time here or on twitter.

People are really dying out there, getting murdered by the police or dying from a pandemic. Kids are still locked in cages. The world is on fire. This isn't a show, this isn't a game, this is real fucking life.

if you use sentences like "kids are still locked in cages" and "the world is on fire" you should understand what the people you are criticizing are trying to express, since you're doing a very similar thing.

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
"Wow, the script writers really outdid themselves this time."
"Can't wait to see what the season finale brings in November."
I see this shit all the time here or on twitter.

Thank God you were here to make sure everyone understands the seriousness of it all, and make sure absolutely no-one uses humour as a coping mechanism.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Sometimes, as to not irrevocably damage your very soul, you need to detach yourself from reality by making jokes like those. It's a coping mechanism, OP.

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Eh, it's a silly joke that everyone who makes thinks they're the first one to make. If you can't laugh at anything, what's the point? ot

Anyway, let's hope ratings improve with November's sweeps week.

RocketKiss

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I do massively hate the select few phrases popularised on Reddit that have gradually seeped into the rest of online discourse.

"Who's chopping onions?"

They are the worst.
"Say it louder for the people in the back."
"Ding Ding Ding. This guy gets it!"

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017

"Who's chopping onions?"

They are the worst.

Sir, this is a...

*checks notes*

Wendy's.

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Society is a spectacle. And no one's offering an alternative, even the guy who coined the phrase ended up shooting himself.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Gallows humor is a common coping mechanism.
I think there are people who absolutely don't get gallows humor. Not saying this applies to anyone in this thread, but I remember a heated discussion that just went in circles, where I kept explaining that gallows humor doesn't mean the matter isn't taken seriously, with definitions, and examples, and articles, and I just got "but this is not a laughing matter, humor has no place there" in return.

Personally, I think gallows humor makes the unbearable bearable. Just recently, I saw some horrific headline on Era and caught myself just saying "hah, nice", because actually seriously engaging with the fact that things are as fucked as they are just wasn't an option at that moment.

Oct 30, 2017
I think the fact that there's a global pandemic has just put every other major issue under a magnifying glass.

It is not the end of days.
Nope, it isn't. WW2 with 55 million dead, two atom bombs and the world half in crumbles. That was a shit show.

I'm starting to get irritated by people who say everything is fucked and keep that mindset. There are still tons of joyfull, hopefull, beautiful things in this world and you better start seeing that.