• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

StarErik

Oct 27, 2017
Wii U has some good games, but the platform itself is trash. I truly despise the GamePad. It's clunky, feels cheap and the image is all fuzzy. But thank god they wasted that concept on Wii U so that the Switch could be so much better tech wise.

Midgarian

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2020
Midgar
I still maintain that calling it Wii 2 and Sony calling Vita the PSP2 would have helped sales and perception somewhat.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Honestly as a WiiU owner, its the worst Nintendo console.

It felt like a demo version of the Switch.

Last edited:

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I loved the Wii U from Day 1. I still prefer its first party exclusives to the Switch exclusives, the VC offerings combined with the Wii BC was way better than this NSO garbage, and it had a decent selection of indies, including a handful of exclusives which I never played, but heard good things about.

I know I can play a good majority of these exclusives on Switch now, but that's absolutely not happening with me unless someone else here wants to buy me the Switch versions of all the Wii U games I have. Being able to re-buy and play first party Wii U games I bought and played through in like 2013/2014 isn't and wasn't a selling point for the Switch for me.

The only real negatives were the marketing wasn't great, and it had a lack of AAA titles, but I've never chosen Nintendo for AAA stuff, and that's not changed with the Switch and its ports of AAA stuff from 4 or 5 years ago launching at full price.

I'd never call it an amazing system though, unless of course you're modding it to act as a great emulation machine, but I don't think that counts.

Mahnmut

Oct 27, 2017
Brussels
Same thing for the Dreamcast. When the system was released nobody gave a damn because the PS2 was around the corner. Years later, I keep on reading that the machine was the best and yada yada... I call that phenomenon "gaming revisionism".

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
They mostly mean the games. The console itself and its name were a marketing nightmare. The controller was okay but not ideal. And there were the Nintendo Droughts™.
A lot of the games were incredible though. As many Switch owners now also realise.

Oct 28, 2017
I mean it's no Vita, but it had some really good games and the Gamepad was honestly fantastic I just wish it had better range for off tv play. Miiverse was great and Switch online is garbage in comparison, which is embarrassing especially since Switch online is paid.

Oct 28, 2017
I still maintain that calling it Wii 2 and Sony calling Vita the PSP2 would have helped sales and perception somewhat.
Sony didn't call Vita PSP2 for a reason. People seem to forget that PSP was a somewhat tainted brand and was despite being an 80m selling system, percieved as a failure at the time. Calling it PSP2 would not have helped anything.

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
It directly lead to the switch which feels like a fully realised version of what the wii u wanted to be.
It had good games for sure but yeah the hardware was garbage

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
It had a few games I adored but to be honest, there were too few of them and I kind of ditched the console about 18 months after buying it. I occasionaly bought some games but I don't have fond memories of it. It was a badly supported console which had a lot more potential but it never delivered. Nintendo Land is still one of the best party games and single player games every made though. So many good stuff in there.

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, it was not that great.

Dreamcast was great because it had great 1st and 3rd party games, and quite a few of them! Hell, some are still best played on Dreamcast!

WiiU is definitely nowhere near Dreamcast.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
"Nobody is saying it's better than Switch" - Well.. I am, but that's obviously just my own feeling on it. How is that possible, you ask?

-Played AAA releases years before they were released on Switch
-I don't care about portability
-Wii and virtual console availability
-Quality over quantity appeals to me, I don't want to play huge amounts of mediocre games
-My Wii U library was much larger than my Switch library (hopefully this changes), and I got way more enjoyment out of it overall
-Wii U hardware and OS suits me fine, and in fact I think they're quite charming
-Online may not have been great, but at least it was straightforward
Well said. I really like Wara Wara plaza too.

garion333

Oct 27, 2017
That's some circular logic you've got going on. If it had more amazing games it wouldn't be underrated.

It was marketing + lack of third party that failed it. And the Nintendo offerings on the system were top notch almost across the board.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
It's just people being hipsters
No having some good games doesn't make a console good

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't think many people think the console itself was actually that great but it's undeniable but that it was definitely a high point for a lot of Nintendo first-party games.

AmFreak

Oct 26, 2017
Ridiculously outdated hardware with a ridiculous gimmick for a ridiculous price.
Nintendo is the only one who could/can release such junk hardware, everyone else would have been laughed out of the room immediately.

Oct 28, 2017
Thank god for the 3DS during this period!
Now this? This was an actual garbage piece of hardware. How people can look at Wii U and call the hardware shit yet say thank god for 3DS is an absolute joke. 3DS deserved to fail a hell of a lot more than Wii U in my book. Wii U brought the gamepad to the table. It at least did something interesting and new. The gamepad when used well was incredible.

What did 3DS do? Brought an awful 3D gimmick that was quickly forgotten. And what else did it do? It did its best to hold handheld gaming back.

Now this? This was an actual garbage piece of hardware. How people can look at Wii U and call the hardware shit yet say thank god for 3DS is an absolute joke. 3DS deserved to fail a hell of a lot more than Wii U in my book. Wii U brought the gamepad to the table. It at least did something interesting and new. The gamepad when used well was incredible.

What did 3DS do? Brought an awful 3D gimmick that was quickly forgotten. And what else did it do? It did its best to hold handheld gaming back.
TELL EM! I couldn't play my 3DS, the hardware was that bad. I waited on emulation to become decent.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It had great titles, but it's good releases were so infrequent. Also it had horrible third party support for the most part which is what killed it.

It definitely is underrated though in the larger scope of the gaming pop. Era is composed of a lot of enthusiasts so you will see way more people here who owned the console.

Obsonet

Nov 26, 2019
I liked the idea of it but it really didn't feel like a good piece of hardware at all, it had some good games but like yeah it wasn't a good system at all

Selphie

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Thank god for the 3DS during this period!
I honestly think that during the time the 3DS and WiiU were available the WiiU was the better piece of hardware, the 3DS hardware always felt really cheap coming from the DSi, and for me personally the 3DS library didn't come close to the DS, while the WiiU top games absolutely topped the best Wii games for me.
3DS was a huge dissapointment

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
The only praise I will shower Wii U with that comes close to what you describe OP is that it's the greatest party console of all time. That's a pretty specific niche though

Wariobenotware

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 2, 2020

The 3DS hardware was bad but it did have a consistent stream of great games. Wii U never did. The Gamepad was a bad idea and the controller was terrible. A tablet with a badly calibrated 480p screen when the whole point of the Wii U is that it is the first HD Nintendo system made for a really terrible mix.

Waveset

Oct 30, 2017
It had good games, the system is a faff.

I fire it up to play Wii games these days and the Wiipad is just an entry barrier when it should just let me use a Wii Remote.

phant0m

Oct 29, 2017
Wii U was a trash system with a (fairly) good library. Awful hardware and even worse software (OS).

Lion

Banned
Jul 7, 2020
My favourite console of all time!

Best place to play wii u, wii and gamecube games with 3 generations of compatability.

Nintendo console are always the best for local multiplayer, and this is why the wii u is my favourite console. It was my kids first console and we had some great times playing 4 player 3d World, mk8, smash bros, Mario bros u (really hard on multiplayer imho) and Nintendo land.

I really appreciate Nintendo producing family friendly content, they are so much better for this than Sony or xbox that it is not really comparable.

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
I had so many great experiences on it that I still haven't had on the Switch. The gamepad was bulky, the OS was slow and the marketing was poor - but everything else was great. Switch has a lot to thank Wii U for, not least some of its best games.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think exclusive vs exclusive that WiiU is a better console than Switch although obviously Switch is only just past the halfway point of it's life cycle.

Once BotW 2, Bayonetta 3, SMTV, Metroid Prime 4 and perhaps a new 3D Mario all arrive in the coming years then Switch will be ahead.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well you could also elaborate instead of just saying you disagree
Game.com is an example of a bad system.

Apple Pippin is a bad system.

Phillips CDi is a bad system.

3D0 is a bad system.

N-Gage is a bad system (with still some rare examples of redeeming software).

Gizmondo was a bad system.

Ouya is a bad system.

Wii U is not a bad system. It's a flawed system, sure. It's less beloved, sure. But it definitely has a following for good reason and some banging software that will leave a lasting legacy. You could easily justify the price tag and have hundreds, maybe even thousands of hours of playtime on it.

AmFreak

Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo actually went out of their way to make a console that in some ways were weaker than the consoles that was like 7 years old at that point. Who the fuck prioritizes size and absurdly low power consumption in a console?
They didn't, they prioritized cheap in combination with bc and sold it as size and power consumption.

Jun 4, 2019
Looking back, the Wii U feels like a proof of concept for the Switch. The hardware certainly had its limitations (i.e. one GamePad per system), but after ditching said GamePad and playing nearly all of the games with the Pro Controller, I enjoyed the system a lot more. There is a reason why so many of those games were remade for the Switch, and it wasn't just due to the smaller audience (hint: the system had some classics).

Also, even Iwata acknowledged the marketing mistake of attaching the Wii name to the hardware...and having the potential to be seen as a peripheral device.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
I can run nearly every mainline Zelda game on my Windwaker Wii U, including everything from GameCube forward - natively, without emulation and on the Gamepad only. I can also play all the handheld Zeldas up to but not including the 3DS one. It's basically my Zelda machine and I love the thing. Is it under-rated? Probably not, but I love mine a hell of a lot more than it deserves or people give it credit for.

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
It's easier when you get a console when it's generation already ended. People see all the games and think it was always like that, they don't think about how dry it was.

Also, Dreamcast was better.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
There is no dimension in which the WiiU had a better library than the Switch and the Switch isn't even at the end of its life.