• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Justin Bailey

Justin Bailey

BackOnline
Oct 28, 2017
They're a pop rock band, and they do what you'd expect a pop rock band to do: Make catchy and inspirational, if a bit shallow, pop rock songs for the masses. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, either. But obviously, if you're looking for something with more substance, it's not going to be very appealing. And I think criticizing them for the shallowness is a fair take.

That being said, I do enjoy some of their music. On Top of the World was nice. Their songs are fun to play in Beat Saber too.
Yeah, they aren't free from criticism for sure but the degree of hate just seems like overkill. Like they're not that bad.

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
OP... you said the singer for Imagine Dragons has range. Do you have any proof or examples of this? Because I have NEVER fuckin heard any range on that dude at all

You can dance to Around the World, there is a lot of energy in that song. All you can do to Thunder is drive your Jeep Grand Cherokee through a desert with the windows down during the golden hour
I seriously thought you were gonna end that sentence with drive your Jeep Grand Cherokee off a cliff which would also be acceptable.

And to be fair, I don't even like Daft Punk, but what an asinine ass pull that comparison is lol

Oct 7, 2018
USA
I've been to 100 plus concerts from Pink Floyd to Tool,Pantera,Outkast,The Rolling Stones, Drake,Migos etc..took my 10 year old son to see them when they last did a big summer US tour.

It was a great show.

PunchyMalone

May 1, 2018
They remind me of Maroon 5 in that their music feels designed to be played in restaurants and grocery stores. And working in a restaurant, I'm very sick of hearing both of them.

I also feel like their song is just one long chorus. Which just annoys me personally.

Oct 25, 2017
it's this, and the fact that they and bands like them are what mainstream rock comprises of these days. Like Todd in the Shadows said, rock should be more like AC/DC's "Thunderstruck" than Imagine Dragons' "Thunder".
AC/DC is as corny and bland as Imagine Dragons, people just have fonder memories because they're ancient. Mainstream rock needs to accept that it doesn't need to have uber masculine cred like "Yeah, keep on rocking brother, ROCK ON!"
AgonizingHeartyArrowana-small.gif

Rock has always been better in the underground where it wasn't so obsessed with being the Ford F150 of music

Deleted member 1086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
AC/DC is as corny and bland as Imagine Dragons, people just have fonder memories because they're ancient. Mainstream rock needs to accept that it doesn't need to have uber masculine cred like "Yeah, keep on rocking brother, ROCK ON!"
AgonizingHeartyArrowana-small.gif

Rock has always been better in the underground where it wasn't so obsessed with being the Ford F150 of music
That's all well and good, only AC/DC is what people want rock to be. Something with energy and swagger and balls. That's why people like such an "ancient" band to this day.

let me know when Imagine Dragons is perennially popular 40 years from now.

Oct 25, 2017
That's all well and good, only AC/DC is what people want rock to be. Something with energy and swagger and balls. That's why people like such an "ancient" band to this day.
60 year old dads, sure. The only young people who really yearn for the ol' days of classic rock are teenagers who think they were born in the wrong generation. Not to mention your statement is quite misogynistic, especially considering how women have moved the rock genre forward the most over the past 20 years.

Last edited:

Birdito

Oct 30, 2017
I really enjoyed their album Night Visions, it was solid. I was disappointed by everything after that, though.

Bazza

Oct 27, 2017
So I'm not an old old person (35) but I do watch NCIS (I should be ashamed but fuck you I don't care) and Friction was used in one of the episodes. Obviously I first had to find out what song it was and who released it, picked a few random songs and every one was awful.

I have always believed that every album has a track or part of a track you can enjoy, Imagine Dragons so far has disproved my theory but they are the exception. To be fair I haven't listened to every track on every album so the rule may still stand, just going to be a while until I will know for sure.

ninnanuam

Nov 24, 2017
They are no more a rock band than Coldplay is.
There is a market out there for middling adult contemporary pop. I am not that audience.

Deleted member 1086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
60 year old dads, sure. The only young people who really yearn for the ol' days of classic rock are teenagers who think they were born in the wrong generation. Not to mention your statement is quite misogynistic, especially considering how women have moved the rock genre forward the most over the past 20 years.
I never said women couldn't have balls(in a figurative sense of course), there's a really long history of that in rock in fact.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Like what you like

i hate them though. They just make generic 'motivational' rock that fills gyms and sports stadiums around the world

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
Nickelback comparison is very apt. Basically they are to indie rock what Nickelback is to grunge. They are indie rock for people who think The Killers and Mumford and Sons are a bit too edgy.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine Dragons is like modern bro-rock. Whenever I hear them, I imagine (dragons... hehe, nah) a white dude hopping up and down in place, his arms stretched up and out, then starts doing hand movements by bringing them down and all around as he starts boppin' his head (not banging, just boppin'). The kind of guy that point with two fingers, not just the index, gotta add the middle finger because all his points are a statement.

TinTuba47

Nov 14, 2017
I don't really like their music, but I don't think they sound generic. They sound unique, even if it's not something I totally dig

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I've always said that certain forms of rock are strongly tied to people who never emotionally matured beyond the age of 13.

iAmPossum

Oct 29, 2017
I'm not too familiar with the band but the only song that kills my ears is their Thunder song. That shit got replayed far too many times whenever I turned on my car radio.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure if Feel it Still is a song people hate but I quite enjoy it.

This version is better than the album version, though:

The singer has great vocals.

No yeah. Portugal. The Man is like the one band on that list where I'm like "You know what? Good for you." It was crazy seeing them blow up out of nowhere with how long they've been a thing

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I guess some people dislike their style of music, and are exposed to it against their will frequently enough.
Otherwise there's no reason to hate music you dislike, you simply ignore it forever.

The only time I've managed to hate a song out of my own volition, is when I somehow happened upon Marnie Stern - Grapefruit.
I find that song just fascinatingly hideous. The nails on a chalkboard of music. Just instinctively unpleasant.
I listen to it purposely on occasion because of that unique...quality.
Actually I'm not sure I can say I hate it, as I have this weird appreciation for it, but it's the worst.

I'm not frequently exposed to imagine Dragons. My main association is that one time they played at a Game Awards. So I can't hate them.

Last edited:

Deleted member 69573

Banned
May 17, 2020
Melbourne, Australia
They're worse than Nickelback by most every metric.

They're the P!nk era pop of rock bands. Completely lukewarm, predictable and flat. If you turn on literally any other rock album it becomes very clear how god awful they are.

An early 2000's manufactured band with a 2020 sheen. Artless.

Last edited:

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
They are what Linkin Park became for movies

Except the only difference is they were always that.

Glenn

Oct 27, 2017
After hearing terrible acts like the 1975 hate on Imagine Dragons.. I will always root for them ha

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
They made some really nasty songs. Say what you will about Nickelback, but it's been almost exclusively straight bangers

Pravus

Oct 28, 2017
To me, their sound is like if Facebook or Google had a band to represent their brand. No soul, created for the lowest common denomination of listeners, and meant to be as palatable and inoffensive as possible. That's most pop music anyway, and it's fine if you want to enjoy the Billboard equivalent of elevator muzak. But there exists so much more music that resonates on deeper levels if you venture out of your comfort zone even just a little. But hey, that's just my opinion.

Hark

Oct 29, 2017
I've been waiting to smile, 'ey
Been holding it in for a while, 'ey
Take it with me if I can
Been dreaming of this since a child
I'm on top of the world

It's irrational af, but I loathe this line because it's so fucking lazy.
This loathing extends to the rest of their catalogue.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
I guess some people dislike their style of music, and are exposed to it against their will frequently enough.
Otherwise there's no reason to hate music you dislike, you simply ignore it forever.

The only time I've managed to hate a song out of my own volition, is when I somehow happened upon Marnie Stern - Grapefruit.
I find that song just fascinatingly hideous. The nails on a chalkboard of music. Just instinctively unpleasant.
I listen to it purposely on occasion because of that unique...quality.
Actually I'm not sure I can say I hate it, as I have this weird appreciation for it, but it's the worst.

I'm not frequently exposed to imagine Dragons. My main association is that one time they played at a Game Awards. So I can't hate them.

Ahahaha I love Marnie Stern. One person's garbage really is someone else's treasure lol

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
They write generic, muscular pop rock anthems with shallow lyricism, tailor made for GMC truck commercials. And I hate how every song of their does that same shouty-harmonizing thing.

I dislike them for the same reasons I dislike Nickelback. And millions of people love them for the same reason million of people love (loved?) Nickelback.

I don't like most new music these days though, so *shrug*. I only ever listen to the radio at work, and it seems like 75% of music these days is R&P and pop music set to the same 2-3 latin-infused drum beats that make me want to jam wooden stakes in my ear canals.

In rap, this is known as vibe music, like Sunflower.

Edit: If you guys are gonna unironically criticize 'Thunder' then you have to criticize Daft Punk too:

sdsd.png

The lyrical expectations of house/dance music are very different.