• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Imagine Dragons have a special place in my heart because when raids were first added to Pokémon Go it was common for someone to start blasting out "Thunder" when there was like 50 people at a Zapdos raid lol.

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
Calling them a rock band is offensive to the whole rock genre
Nickelback at least can rock hard when they want to + they are a great Metallica cover band

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
Not a fan of their stuff personally, but they're an alright pop rock band. I know the drummer from school too (even played in jazz band with him), good guy, great musician (he played everything, in fact I remember him as more of a trumpet player, he didn't play drums for the school band until later in high school I think).

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Popular things tend to attract loud negativity attempting to counter the popularity. It's inoffensive pop rock that is easy to listen to, pretty sure I have them mixed in to some of my lists.

nilbog

Oct 25, 2017
I used to like them now can't stand them.

Lyrics are silly, songs are catchy at first but become annoying after hearing them 1000 times in a shopping mall.

The singer got stale on me also. 🤷

ConfusingJazz

Not the Ron Paul Texas Fan.
Oct 26, 2017
China
That does seem to be the bar doesn't it? Like to me, that could be funk, that could be jazz, that could be bluegrass, that could be reggae, that could be calypso, that could be anything, but I think the thing you might be missing is that they are "young white dudes" making this music, so it's probably just gonna get called "rock", despite having almost no roots in the genre at all.
"young" in "young white dudes" is doing a lot of work, there

Edit: also, I put in steel guitar, because the difference between pop rock and pop country is the steel guitar. And I suppose the guy is more likely to sing out the side of his mouth.

grang

Nov 13, 2017
Some early songs were alright but then it was just on repeat from then on so it got tired. I would never buy tickets to see them, but I bet their live show is pretty good.

Sep 10, 2020
The musical manifestation of cringe. Heard someone blasting Thunder from their car the other day and had to do a double take.

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
Nickelback for the new generation is a good description for them.

I don't like the singer's style and their songs just seem to lack any substance, personally.

Maccix

Jan 10, 2018
Mainstream pop/rock bands always get a lot of hate. Linkin Park also had a lot of loud haters, until they found out that Chester Bennington didn't try to cater to emos but lots of the songs where about what he went through.

AGoodODST

Oct 28, 2017
That song Believer makes me want to launch myself into the Clyde and never resurface. Swear to god there is a guy in my work playing it fucking constantly over his speaker. Terrible.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Edgelords mostly. I don't like them but there is tons of music I don't like. Don't care at all. Let people enjoy stuff.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Tbf does anyone who is taken seriously actually hail Imagine Dragons as the revival of rock?
Ok if they are being considered some kind of "rock revival" then yeah that's a stretch - so I hear you guys there. They are not hard enough to be considered pure rock.
The 2010s were dire for rock.

dvRCZF6.jpg

I mean, there was lots of good rock, but none of it made a cultural impact.

offtopic

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Formulaic yes but not really any more-so than most of the pop artists at the top of the charts (usually spots that are just manufactured/paid for).

Oct 27, 2017
Thunder is, literally, not figuratively or hyperbolically, the worst song I've ever heard on the radio.

I couldn't believe how awful it was. I'd listen to country or pop ALL DAY if it meant never accidentally hearing that song again. It's so, so bad.

SecretCharacter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado Springs, CO
Besides some of the other not so hot takes in here, I just find their music over-produced and generally designed to appeal to the lowest common denominator of listener. It's inoffensive, generic, and "safe."

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
In general I like Imagine Dragons. I own most of their cds, I have a number of their songs on my playlist. And I know the lyrics to a number of their songs.

That being said they deserve nearly every bit of hate they get for creating Thunder. They should go to bed ashamed every night for ever releasing that song, let alone managing to get it played on the radio repeatedly. The song is awful, absolutely awful and anyone that likes it is legitimately a bad person. And if I insulted you by saying you are a bad person, well your tastes are so crappy I really don't care. Go suck a lemon. >.>

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
I like how no one is entertaining the insane comparison of Thunder to Daft Punks Around the World. Like what fucking planet do you have to be on to think those are even remotely close in quality just because the lyrical content of Around the World is that single phrase. Jesus fuck. People apparently will defend anything, even artless commercial rock

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
I'm gonna sound like a hipster but ever since radioactive every song of theirs sounds like radioactive

It's Time is so good though

I really hate when they have a song that pumps you up like friction but there's always a slow part that ruins the vibe of the song

I guess I'm disappointed at the "car commercial songs" cause I know they have some genuine talent. Hell, I'm So Sorry was used as a basis for Kai's theme in Kung Fu Panda 3

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
OP... you said the singer for Imagine Dragons has range. Do you have any proof or examples of this? Because I have NEVER fuckin heard any range on that dude at all

I like how no one is entertaining the insane comparison of Thunder to Daft Punks Around the World. Like what fucking planet do you have to be on to think those are even remotely close in quality just because the lyrical content of Around the World is that single phrase. Jesus fuck. People apparently will defend anything, even artless commercial rock

You can dance to Around the World, there is a lot of energy in that song. All you can do to Thunder is drive your Jeep Grand Cherokee through a desert with the windows down during the golden hour

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
There are groups that make bad music but Imagine Dragons make music that's really fucking annoying.

OP
OP
Justin Bailey

Justin Bailey

BackOnline
Oct 28, 2017
OP... you said the singer for Imagine Dragons has range. Do you have any proof or examples of this? Because I have NEVER fuckin heard any range on that dude at all

You can dance to Around the World, there is a lot of energy in that song. All you can do to Thunder is drive your Jeep Grand Cherokee through a desert with the windows down during the golden hour
I mean he's not Freddie Mercury or anything but he can hit some high notes.

Deleted member 34725

User-requested account closure
Banned
Nov 28, 2017
In rap, this is known as vibe music, like Sunflower.

Edit: If you guys are gonna unironically criticize 'Thunder' then you have to criticize Daft Punk too:

sdsd.png
Yeah, that dude had a bad take, the funny part is how all the parts of the song NOT singing "thunder" are the eyerolling parts. Repetitive stuff is fine.

kaisere

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

dvRCZF6.jpg

Blows my mind that Portugal. The Man is on this list. Never expected them to get big reading about them on a Mars Volta board in 2005.

This is also the answer to Imagine Dragons hate. It's sad as someone who grew up with rock music on the charts to see that this is what rock is, but I guess that is a part of getting older. I'm really hoping MGK putting out a punk album will inspire some more rock in a hip-hop dominated pop culture.

FerrisBueller

Jul 15, 2018
UK
It's so soulless. Which isn't a bad thing, not all music needs to have a deep meaning or anything, plenty of great music doesn't, but they try to make themselves sound so "epic" and as if they're doing something amazing. It's like they're purposely making the most cookie cutter music with the only goal of making as many car commercials as possible.

Also I just looked up a couple of videos and the guy is annoying as fuck.

Edit: I also don't get how they're "rock" at all, how did it come to this.

Deleted member 11796

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, that dude had a bad take, the funny part is how all the parts of the song NOT singing "thunder" are the eyerolling parts. Repetitive stuff is fine.

the song is endemic of the band's shit output

comparing it to Daft Punk is laughable considering it's not even a high point of their work by a long shot, while Thunder is one of three major hits

admiraltaftbar

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 9, 2017

dvRCZF6.jpg

I don't know. I'd say the rise of killer female leads in Indie Rock was/continues to be actually quite a big impact culturally and in the music industry. Purely looking at newer groups we don't have the "rock mega star" anymore but I'd argue plenty of genres that have always been more underground have gone on to be big influences on culture.

Plax

Nov 23, 2019
My wife and I bought the Imagine Dragons song pack for Beat Saber because we enjoyed Radioactive and wanted some more songs.

I feel confident when I say, Nickelback look like skilled and creative musicians compared to Imagine Dragons. The songs are completely forgettable, and Thunder is truly awful.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They're a pop rock band, and they do what you'd expect a pop rock band to do: Make catchy and inspirational, if a bit shallow, pop rock songs for the masses. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, either. But obviously, if you're looking for something with more substance, it's not going to be very appealing. And I think criticizing them for the shallowness is a fair take.

That being said, I do enjoy some of their music. On Top of the World was nice. Their songs are fun to play in Beat Saber too.