• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
All these liquid death videos and nobody posted the Steve-O tattoo video.

Oct 27, 2017
Water most definitely has a taste -- unless you buy Pathwater; shit tastes like nothing and I love it -- depending on the source. It's why the collective of humanity has agreed that Arrowhead tastes like an oil slick.
It's also why Dasani is universally known as garbage-tier water.

I swear they put extra salt in that shit. It tastes so bad and leaves you thirstier after drinking it.

Red Comet

Jan 6, 2018
Saw this being sold at a concession stand during a concert I was at last year, and I assumed it was alcoholic seltzer water. Laughed my ass off when I found out they were literally charging that much for water.

Irminsul

Oct 25, 2017
"From the Austrian Alps"?

To think I could've just canned my tap water, invent some ridiculous logo and get rich from that... Ah well.

Also, to that note, it can't be that environmentally friendly to ship that to the US. I get the need for bottled / canned water because the local tap water is crap, but there should be good sources available that are a lot closer.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Everything else tastes worse from a can and now canned water exists? I want off this planet and fuck this thread for letting me know this abomination exists.

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure what I was expecting here, but anyway, getting people to drink more water has got to be a good thing, no?

If a skull design keeps you from another Pepsi that's good.

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
I'd have to do a blind taste but I'd probably get it wrong.

I would find it hard to believe that someone could accurately differentiate the water from like 10 different brands.
Ludwig made a video doing exactly this and had his mates test it. One of them said there was one he would 100% get right. He didnt.

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
If a skull design keeps you from another Pepsi that's good.
We definitely live in a weird world.

To the wider discussion, our water is from the well on our property and it is the most potable water I have ever drank, so delicious. When I was in chemistry in college we actually did an experiment with titration to try to correlate certain mineral content with preferred taste/flavor, but my results were inconclusive. The downside to our well is that we have to maintain and test it--heavy radon content and I just sprang $5k recently to replace our mitigation system, which is annoying. We actually also have an old 200+ year old hand dug well on the property that I'd like to fill and be able to pump in case of power outages, just for giggles.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I disagree with the associations between Liquid Death and, like Dude Whipes or Ed Hardy, anti-gay, "MAN" stuff. From my perspective liquid death seems to be marketed to and bought by former 90s/2000s punk, emo, scenesters who are in their 30s or 40s, at Whole Foods, trying to maintain their edge. That is to say, the two people who I know who drink Liquid Death and have it part of their personal identity fit that profile really well. Progressive post-scenester dads about to hit middle age. Like, let's say you used to go to shows and drink Gennessee, Schlitz, or PBR 10 years ago, and now you've got responsibilities and don't want to die an early death, this brand might appeal to you in the same way.

not bro culture or conservative/manliness culture, like the opposite.

I think it's a great and environmentally friendly way for sober people to not feel out of place at punk/metal shows

This is a good case for it 👍

Last edited:

Empty Your Head

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 1, 2022
I always assumed that Liquid Death was for the same market of people buying Dude Wipes. Straight men who think hygiene and taking care of themselves (like drinking water) makes them gay or something.

Really dumb products. I'm sure there are other ones that seemingly target that "straight male who really loves the band Sevendust" market.

I disagree with the associations between Liquid Death and, like Dude Whipes or Ed Hardy, anti-gay, "MAN" stuff. From my perspective liquid death seems to be bought by former 90s/2000s punk, emo, scenesters who are in their 30s or 40s, at Whole Foods, trying to maintain their edge. That is to say, the two people who I know who drink Liquid Death and have it part of their personal identity fit that profile really well. Progressive post-scenester dads about to hit middle age.

You posted this as I was writing mine. I have only ever seen the type of people I describe buying and drinking this shit so I assumed it was intended for those kind of people.

Maybe it's a regional thing. Never seen the Whole Foods, more progressive crowd consuming this product.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
Heh, reading the thread title I thought the OP was talking about OD'ing on electrolytes / sodium imbalance due to water toxemia.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
You posted this as I was writing mine. I have only ever seen the type of people I describe buying and drinking this shit so I assumed it was intended for those kind of people.

Maybe it's a regional thing. Never seen the Whole Foods, more progressive crowd consuming this product.

hahah yeah I noticed our posts back to back, good timing :D

I'm basing my prospective buyer entirely on 2 people who I know so very limited sample size 😄 One is a music geek late 30s dad, skinny jeans Elizabeth Warren stan former scene kid trying to keep his cred into middle age. First exposure to liquid death was at a party at his house and walked into his basement and he had like 20 CASES of it, and I was like wwwwtttf is this..... assuming it was some very hip beer from somewhere, only to realize it's water. Second guy is former scene kid, gages type, about to hit 40, same deal. The marketing seems to lean heavily into mustachioed ironic hipster scene to me, like "We get how stupid it is to have edgy water, but that's the hook, that's why you have a pencil mustache and wore jorts 3 summers ago as a 34 year old"

Honestly I'm just convincing myself to go buy some liquid death, given that I'm literally sitting in a whole foods typing this.................

WindUp

Oct 30, 2017
My buddy in university used to have a part time job handing these out to kids on campus as part of an advertising push by the company. He quit after like a month but we still had 3 cases of the stuff in the house we lived in. I will forever associate it with waking up hungover as shit and chugging 2 of them to try to recover.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
I always assumed that Liquid Death was for the same market of people buying Dude Wipes. Straight men who think hygiene and taking care of themselves (like drinking water) makes them gay or something.

Really dumb products. I'm sure there are other ones that seemingly target that "straight male who really loves the band Sevendust" market.

Do you see people drinking this and then go perform some kind of personality analysis on them? How do you know how progressive they are?

Or are you seeing people drink it at school so you know what clique they're in by which table they sit at during lunch?

I've barely heard of this stuff and I've literally never seen it, being consumed or even just on a shelf, but it seems silly to stereotype people based on a drink. Like I can come with a stereotypical image of someone who is a huge fan of Starbucks or Monster or whatever but I would say "I've never seen a blue collar Midwestern person drinking Starbucks" or "Monster isn't intended for people over the age of 15."

This thread is actually hilarious, I had no clue Liquid Death was water. I vaguely recall reading an article about it that said Machine Gun Kelly was somehow involved with it, and I think I've seen a couple ads. Based on the name I totally assumed it was like Red Bull with extra caffeine, or a revival of Four Loko or something like that.

Kind of weird to see people say it's good for the environment. I'm not sure how recyclable cans are compared to plastic bottles, but if the environment is a concern just get a Nalgene or whatever.

Last edited:

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canned water is better for the environment than the abundance of plastic waste normal bottles are producing. It's as simple as that. How do you get that to catch on? Good marketing, like the OP has noticed.

Oct 27, 2017
Newnan, GA
It comes in handy for events that allow you to bring in sealed food/beverages. I went to a NASCAR race with some friends and brought a couple of these and they were a hit.

Empty Your Head

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 1, 2022
[
Do you see people drinking this and then go perform some kind of personality analysis on them? How do you know how progressive they are?

Or are you seeing people drink it at school so you know what clique they're in by which table they sit at during lunch?

The people I've seen and consume this brand of water are people that wear pro-Trump, pro-Gun, pro-idiocy bullshit. Not "they look like the type," actually wearing that kind of apparel.

I've also seen people that drink this brand first hand in public spaces with the same presentation.

Do I really need to give these people a quiz on where their beliefs align or can I read between the lines a little?

I don't recall where I said everyone that drinks Liquid Death is a bigot or whatever. All I said was what I have seen first-hand and how the brand comes off to me.

Porco Rosso

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The people I've seen and consume this brand of water are people that wear pro-Trump, pro-Gun, pro-idiocy bullshit. Not "they look like the type," actually wearing that kind of apparel.

I've also seen people that drink this brand first hand in public spaces with the same presentation.

Do I really need to give these people a quiz on where their beliefs align or can I read between the lines a little?

I don't recall where I said everyone that drinks Liquid Death is a bigot or whatever. All I said was what I have seen first-hand and how the brand comes off to me.

The brand is extremely progressive and the "influencers" (primarily bands/musicians) they align themselves with are all very progressive as well. I also receive their newsletter (for some bizarre reason) and they've openly mocked MAGA/Trump culture many times in there. I can't say nobody from that audience is drinking this stuff, but they're doing everything they can to not court those individuals.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
[

The brand is extremely progressive and the "influencers" (primarily bands/musicians) they align themselves with are all very progressive as well. I also receive their newsletter (for some bizarre reason) and they've openly mocked MAGA/Trump culture many times in there. I can't say nobody from that audience is drinking this stuff, but they're doing everything they can to not court those individuals.

Clearly they're fucking up somewhere, the streets are apparently full of proud Trump supporters murdering their thirst.

I was curious how often they publish progressive stuff to social media and the first thing I see is the Liquid Death NFT. Of course, lol.

Empty Your Head

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 1, 2022
Clearly they're fucking up somewhere, the streets are apparently full of proud Trump supporters murdering their thirst.

I was curious how often they publish progressive stuff to social media and the first thing I see is the Liquid Death NFT. Of course, lol.

I never said that everyone or "the streets" were filled with Trumpers drinking Liquid Death. I spoke on what I've seen and how the brand comes off to me.

You're taking what I said to such an extreme that isn't even necessary. It feels antagonistic.

gnexus

Mar 30, 2018
At first glance a year or two ago when I first saw it, I thought it was like some sort of super coffee canned drink. Yeah, the heavy whoa dude bro wicked cool marketing is helping push it.

They have a commercial with kids drinking it and pregnant women drinking it, making it look like some sort of alcoholic drink. Really fucking weird, but it works. I've never tried it and I won't try it because I hate sparkling water.

Naythan

Oct 25, 2017
ATL
Fun marketing, cans being better than plastic bottles, and a way for people on the edge of an alcohol problem to have that familiar weight/style of can in their hand without having a beer. Those are what makes it appeal to my senses but I rarely buy it because it's oddly pricey.

valuv

Oct 25, 2017
At first glance a year or two ago when I first saw it, I thought it was like some sort of super coffee canned drink. Yeah, the heavy whoa dude bro wicked cool marketing is helping push it.

They have a commercial with kids drinking it and pregnant women drinking it, making it look like some sort of alcoholic drink. Really fucking weird, but it works. I've never tried it and I won't try it because I hate sparkling water.
At a lot of concert venues I go to, it's the only option for water. I don't get the sparkling water though, just regular

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
I never said that everyone or "the streets" were filled with Trumpers drinking Liquid Death. I spoke on what I've seen and how the brand comes off to me.

You're taking what I said to such an extreme that isn't even necessary. It feels antagonistic.

Sorry if it came across like that, like I said, just seems like a silly observation to me. I don't pay that much attention to what other people are drinking or wearing or whatever. I live in Central PA so I see people in Trump gear on a nearly daily basis and I've never seen Liquid Death at all. And like I said, I associate Starbucks with yuppies, but obviously a ton of people drink it. I associate Monster with spazzy teenagers but obviously a ton of people drink it. Just seems funny to me to say "I saw a few people in Trump gear enjoying this product, it must be for toxically masculine people/ Sevendust fans."

Didn't mean to come across as antagonistic though, apologies.

It's easier to recycle than plastic bottles.

It's still way worse than using a reusable water bottle though, right? Maybe I just don't understand recycling but like I said earlier it seems weird to see people imply it's an environmentally friendly product. It might be better than some alternative, but a reusable bottle still has to be way better, right?

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
Sorry if it came across like that, like I said, just seems like a silly observation to me. I don't pay that much attention to what other people are drinking or wearing or whatever. I live in Central PA so I see people in Trump gear on a nearly daily basis and I've never seen Liquid Death at all. And like I said, I associate Starbucks with yuppies, but obviously a ton of people drink it. I associate Monster with spazzy teenagers but obviously a ton of people drink it. Just seems funny to me to say "I saw a few people in Trump gear enjoying this product, it must be for toxically masculine people/ Sevendust fans."

It's still way worse than using a reusable water bottle though, right? Maybe I just don't understand recycling but like I said earlier it seems weird to see people imply it's an environmentally friendly product. It might be better than some alternative, but a reusable bottle still has to be way better, right?

I mean of course use tap water and a reusable bottle, that's the best solution, but I guess if you're buying water at a store, canned might be better than plastic, so long as you recycle the can.

gig

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Y''all pretentious as fuck. Sparkling water is good, and Liquid Death's has a really crisp taste and good carbonation level. Plus it's in a larger can, whereas I never get enough out of normal size cans. Easy to recycle as well.

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017

Plastic isn't very recyclable. Aluminum is very recyclable. Also aluminum cans don't breakdown into micro plastics and as a pollutant are relatively benign.

Same with glass. Using a reusable container is better than all three options, but in a society where most people don't do that, there are better options for those people.

Zipties

Nov 5, 2017
Never paid attention to this but have also noticed that it's popping up everywhere.

I assumed the inventors of this got their inspiration from Dethklok's Duncan Hills Coffee
www.youtube.com

Dethklok - Duncan Hills Coffee Jingle [HD]

Ultimate "Best of" Metalocalypse mini-series coming soon! Featuring Nathan Explosion, Toki Wartooth, Skwisgaar Skwigelf, William Murderface, Pickles the Drum...

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Nov 19, 2019
Y''all pretentious as fuck. Sparkling water is good, and Liquid Death's has a really crisp taste and good carbonation level. Plus it's in a larger can, whereas I never get enough out of normal size cans. Easy to recycle as well.
This is a genius-tier move. Turn the pretentious label back around on them!

(Also all beverages--including water--just taste better in a can, it is known)

Deleted member 35509

Account closed at user request
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
First and foremost, better for the environment. That's also the top thing ads and people who drink it mention.

Better than bottled for recycling so nothing weird here.