• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
My cable is only 4 feet long. Which is more than long enough to go from my USB power strip to my couch.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
In this thread people somehow seem unaware rechargeable batteries exist and then advocate for built in rechargeable batteries. It's a weird stance to take.

Also, it is a fact that rechargeable batteries lose their battery capacity over time and it loses it faster the more you use it, or by leaving it completely drained. So anyone saying their battery life is just as good is fooling themselves from the reality of how rechargeable batteries work.

Now nobody is saying a Dual Shock 4 has to use AA batteries, but at the very least it should have a battery compartment that opens up where you can pop out the rechargeable battery and replace it with a brand new battery rather than needing a screwdriver or buying a new controller.

Microsoft offers the best solution in that it gives you all options and lets the consumer choose. You want disposable AA batteries? You can do it. You want rechargeable AA batteries? You can do it. You want a rechargeable battery pack that will function exactly like a Dual Shock 4? You can do it.

The idea of an easy replaceable battery is something we all should agree on regardless if that battery is standard or proprietary and hopefully we would prefer a standard rather than proprietary too.

OP
OP

TCG276

Dec 17, 2017
Never had a piece of hardware need to be replaced because of a dying internal battery so, nah, I'm good.

Do you replace your laptop, tablet, or phone every two years? If yes, than it makes sense that you've never experienced a battery needing replaced.

Last edited:

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
Do you replace your laptop, tablet, or phone every two years? If yes, than it makes sense that you're never experienced a battery needing replaced.

Ugh I get that you prefer AA batteries but this is a really poor argument. Most people aren't upgrading their phones every two years, and CERTAINLY not exchanging laptops and tablets that often.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
I have zero interest in keeping rechargeables and a charger around. It's just clutter for minimal benefit.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
i hate having to route cables in weird ways to hide my controllers when charging. I would much rather have a single place to charge a bunch of AAs and be able to throw all my controllers in a drawer and never worry about charging them individually.

you only need one more set of eneloops than controllers. it's simple.
But you have to remember to charge them, just like the controller. It makes no sense that people forget to plug the controller and remember to do it with batteries that are probably in a drawer in another room

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know anything about that. I'm judging this based on Microsoft's controller designs.

The Xbox One controller doesn't have a bump on the back. It's totally flat. It's only the 360 controller that has the battery bump.

Microsoft-xbox-one-controller-4948_1_610x407.jpg

Megamind.

Nov 18, 2019
This is not a malfunction, it's how rechargeable batteries work. Rechargable batteries experience chemical changes over time, this is why batteries are rated for a number of charges.

And how much are those? this seems to be a none issue as it doesnt occur after a very long time. The lifecycle of these batteries seem extremely long, and outpace the lifecycle of other components in the controller like the analog sticks for example. You have a lot more people complaining about drifting than this

Deleted member 2652

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But you have to remember to charge them, just like the controller. It makes no sense that people forget to plug the controller and remember to do it with batteries that are probably in a drawer in another room
you have to do something with the batteries you take out of the controller, which is put them into the charger (which is in a single location) you're taking batteries off of. are you being purposefully dense?

for internal batteries you need to know what the status of each one is, and either swap out cables or have enough cables for every single device, which all have to be routed somewhere.

rechargables i just need to know at least 1 set is in the charger (most have more than a set) and then EVERY device is covered.

Oct 25, 2017
I prefer built in batteries, as my setup allows me to just put them on charging after any session and utterly allow me to forget about battery levels.

E.Balboa

Oct 30, 2017
Florianópolis, Brazil
Removable batteries are the superior choice always. Thats a fact. You can choose rechargeable, disposable, connected, not connected, whatever.

Super annoying to be in the middle of a gaming session and your controller dies. Then you obligatory have to plug a cable. How's that superior to swapping batteries?

Nonsense.

Mad Scientist

Oct 29, 2017
On top of that, the real secret is that the xbox rechargable battery pack is really just a pair of eneloops in a fancy case with the charger built in.
Likely it is even sader: It is a fancy case with eneloops and a chip that tells the controller that it can be recharged. Rechargable batteries could be as convenient as any internal battery, but attempting to recharge non-rechargable batteries is a fire hazard, so MS forces you recharge them outside the controller.

Still, I think it is just as convenient to keep a pair of AAs charged and be able to swap batteries in seconds, as it is to watch your battery status and recharge accordingly or play tethered to your console. Plus I think of internal batteries as somewhat of a scam to force people to throw away and rebuy otherwise fully functional devices once their battery dies. Because if your average joe does not buy rechargable AA's, he is certainly not going to replace a proprietary internal battery.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And how much are those? this seems to be a none issue as it doesnt occur after a very long time. The lifecycle of these batteries seem extremely long, and outpace the lifecycle of other components in the controller like the analog sticks for example. You have a lot more people complaining about drifting than this

The battery in my Playstation Move navigation controller absolutely did not die before the analog stick in the same controller. today's capacitors last for 23 years or longer, the playstation controllers are only rated for 4-5 years.

Source: Someone who very frequently recaps components.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
It is also fun that people always have AA batteries fully charged just in case, but always forget to plug a USB cable after long sessions with their DS4. Seems a bit odd, especially those that seem so upset about battery life... Seems not very logical that if you are so aware and vocal about this issue you always forget to charge it. Makes no sense

It also doesn't make sense almost no one mentioning Switch, which is way more complicated than replacing a controller, lol.

There are always a spare pair of batteries in the charger, so when you need fresh batteries you put the dead ones in at the same time you take out the old ones. It literally happens like twice a month vs having to always remember to plug in your controller after ever session if you don't want risk having it die halfway through another gaming session.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
the best Xbox controller uses an internal battery.

The first iteration didn't though; it used the option to replace the batteries easily. The second iteration did that and a lot of people complained about the notion of spending that much on a controller where it had a finite lifespan because of the internal battery though.

Ugh I get that you prefer AA batteries but this is a really poor argument. Most people aren't upgrading their phones every two years, and CERTAINLY not exchanging laptops and tablets that often.

Is it though? Unless you're swapping out devices constantly, the older they get, the more battery capacity they lose. So you saying they don't replace them frequently likely means they are more likely encountering battery capacity loss.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
you have to do something with the batteries you take out of the controller, which is put them into the charger (which is in a single
location) you're taking batteries off of. are you being purposefully dense?
If a controller is on low battery you just plug it and done, next time will be fully charged. I'm not being dense. However, pretending that rechargeable controllers are always 'dead' because people forget to recharge them after playing, and at the same time arguing that using AA batteries is better because you have a few of them fully charged , that is a ridiculous statement

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
In this thread people somehow seem unaware rechargeable batteries exist and then advocate for built in rechargeable batteries. It's a weird stance to take.

Also, it is a fact that rechargeable batteries lose their battery capacity over time and it loses it faster the more you use it, or by leaving it completely drained. So anyone saying their battery life is just as good is fooling themselves from the reality of how rechargeable batteries work.

Now nobody is saying a Dual Shock 4 has to use AA batteries, but at the very least it should have a battery compartment that opens up where you can pop out the rechargeable battery and replace it with a brand new battery rather than needing a screwdriver or buying a new controller.

Microsoft offers the best solution in that it gives you all options and lets the consumer choose. You want disposable AA batteries? You can do it. You want rechargeable AA batteries? You can do it. You want a rechargeable battery pack that will function exactly like a Dual Shock 4? You can do it.

The idea of an easy replaceable battery is something we all should agree on regardless if that battery is standard or proprietary and hopefully we would prefer a standard rather than proprietary too.

Yep, this is my take. The DS4 and the upcoming Dualsense using rechargeable is fine.
But I think we should be able to replace these batteries ourselves without the headache of full disassembly. However, we know why they don't want that.
Since it impacts people just buying another controller rather than buying a $10 battery sadly.

OP
OP

TCG276

Dec 17, 2017

I prefer user replaceable batteries in general. For all products. I could care less what type of user replaceable battery it is. It's consumer friendly and means that less people will toss out their devices simply because it no longer holds a charge.

OP
OP

TCG276

Dec 17, 2017
Yep, this is my take. The DS4 and the upcoming Dualsense using rechargeable is fine.
But I think we should be able to replace these batteries ourselves without the headache of full disassembly. However, we know why they don't want that.
Since it impacts people just buying another controller rather than buying a $10 battery sadly.

This!

Aphotic

Oct 25, 2017
Both may have their benefits, but in our house Eneloops were a total game changer. I wish every one of my kids' controllers and electronics had the option to use them. Kids are not good about keeping any electronic charged, and they are not good at keeping track of cables. They are really good about asking dad for more batteries. Also my PS controllers might as well be wired controllers at this point as I find it easier to just keep them plugged in. The worst offender for us is the Move controllers, as they are never charged when the kids want to play PSVR and you can't play until they have charged. The ability to pop in some batteries would be so much more convenient.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Oh, I just thought of something. It's probably already been mentioned in this thread, but I'm pretty sure you can use an Xbox One controller with or without batteries while it's plugged in, so you could use the same argument for being able to just continue playing by plugging the controller in. It doesn't charge, but the whole point of a wireless controller is to not have to deal with a cable, so I'm sure a lot of people would prefer to play wirelessly, anyway.

because it's 2020 and replacing aa batteries reminds me of the 90s
Well, using a controller with a cord reminds me of the 90s, as well, so I think I'll stick with my antiquated AA batteries.

Friction

Nov 20, 2017
Preference I suppose. I know nothing beats eneloops for me and would like if possible avoid internal batteries. Losing charge after a long session and pulling in a cable vs swapping batteries is annoying.

OP
OP

TCG276

Dec 17, 2017
Likely it is even sader: It is a fancy case with eneloops and a chip that tells the controller that it can be recharged. Rechargable batteries could be as convenient as any internal battery, but attempting to recharge non-rechargable batteries is a fire hazard, so MS forces you recharge them outside the controller.

Still, I think it is just as convenient to keep a pair of AAs charged and be able to swap batteries in seconds, as it is to watch your battery status and recharge accordingly or play tethered to your console. Plus I think of internal batteries as somewhat of a scam to force people to throw away and rebuy otherwise fully functional devices once their battery dies. Because if your average joe does not buy rechargable AA's, he is certainly not going to replace a proprietary internal battery.

This!

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
There are always a spare pair of batteries in the charger, so when you need fresh batteries you put the dead ones in at the same time you take out the old ones. It literally happens like twice a month vs having to always remember to plug in your controller after ever session if you don't want risk having it die halfway through another gaming session.
If you controller battery life is so bad you face that problem so often, as some seem to say, you would probably remember to plug it after playing. It is not that difficult. Or do you guys further to plug your phone every night or put switch on the dock?
Sometimes it seems we are very aware of some 'problems' here in forums, and then in real life , everyone complaining magically forget ds4 battery life is bad and never plug it. Makes no sense.

Deleted member 2652

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If a controller is on low battery you just plug it and done, next time will be fully charged. I'm not being dense. However, pretending that rechargeable controllers are always 'dead' because people forget to recharge them after playing, and at the same time arguing that using AA batteries is better because you have a few of them fully charged , that is a ridiculous statement
how is a ridiculous statement? ps4, switch, switch pro controller all have different charging solutions. you always have to put them back on their individual spots. with rechargables i NEVER have to worry about where i store my controllers. EVER. i only need ONE set charged. that's the SAME solution for all of them.

it's simpler solution in every scenario.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think most of the complaint comes from needing to buy more shit to make the controller rechargeable. Not everyone has a stack of eneloops just sitting around. I agree they're great and relatively inexpensive, but for most people the controller's internal battery will last long enough to be worth the included price.

Also, a DS4 with (short ass) battery is the same price in most places as an Xbox one controller with zero rechargable solution in box.

For the record, my primary controller is an Xbox Elite with rechargable eneloops. Just making the point that I understand the argument for built in batteries too.

Chapo

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The cable to recharge the PS4 controller is not long enough to reach across my living room. I literally have to stop gaming to allow my controller to recharge. Not convenient at all.

On the other hand, I bought an 8 pack of rechargeable batteries towards the beginning of the current gen. Once 4 of them die, I usually have the other 4 fully charged. I plug the other 4 to the wall plug overnight and im back to 8 fully charged batteries. This kit might last me all of next gen as well.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
Kids are not good about keeping any electronic charged, and they are not good at keeping track of cables.

This too. I have 7 sets of Joy-Cons and yet somehow I still encounter a situation where someone is in the middle of a game, or even a multiplayer situation where at least one half of the Joy-Con set comes up with a low battery situation and there isn't a ready to go charged controller on hand to replace it.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
I will never understand people who think that having to wire in their controller for a long gaming session is "convenient."

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017

You're assuming everyone has a console close to their couch. I'm 15 feet from my console so you end up having to buy an extra long USB cable which costs more than the rechargeable batteries. Also, it's funny that people are saying "Batteries? What is this the 90s?" but are A-OK with having to play wired LOL

The thing is everyone's situations are different. You might keep all your batteries in a drawer but my charger is on a table next to the couch so it's literally less than 30 seconds to swap the batteries and put the old ones in the charger. Also if you don't game regularly on the PS then it's really easy to not remember to plug it in to charge, especially when you're used to never having to do that.

YellowBara

Oct 26, 2017
Built in with the option to replace the battery easily if needed should be the end goal for controller manufacturers tbh. So long as we don't use AA as the only option.

Ugh. I'm not complaining. The question was "why do people prefer a built in battery controller", I'm telling you why.
If you're this belligerent over shit like this, you must be so fun to be around.
Just ignore them. Their thread count shows what little else they have going on to be so obnoxious.

Edit: WOW this thread moved fast LOL

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
how is a ridiculous statement? ps4, switch, switch pro controller all have different charging solutions. you always have to put them back on their individual spots. with rechargables i NEVER have to worry about where i store my controllers. EVER. that's the SAME solution for all of them.
The solution is the same for those: an usb cable. Usually in the same place.Wow, such a difficult thing to do after playing.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Good for you. I've spent quite a bit of money on rechargeable batteries and chargers, my experience is exactly the opposite. Plus the different brands available will offer also different experiences.
Just an example, i bought 4 from Amazon some weeks ago to use them for a Bluetooth mouse i bought.
Despite charging those for 12h , windows 10 says battery for mouse is only 67% full just after turning it on. That was 2 weeks ago approx, today battery is 30%
However the other mouse i have has been using the same alkaline batteries for 10 months now.
So i guess luck is part of the equation, as some here claim their DS4 batteries are dead in less than a year ( which would be still under warranty btw)

Are you saying you've had repeat bad luck with eneloops specifically? If so id say your experience is far from the norm.

As far as DS4s losing capacity. That's gonna be a function of how many times they are cycled. With comparable usage, a controller using eneloop AAs will be cycled far less often than a DS4, and the batteries will be rated for far more cycles.

Also there battery is not included in the ds4 manufacturer's warranty.

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
I hate replaceable batteries. I hate spending extra money on batteries or a replaceable battery kit, when it should be built in.

I had the same rechargable battery through the entire life cycle of the Xbox 360. I've had the same battery since day 1 of the Xbox One. I used the same day one controller on my PS4 till I gave it away a few months ago. And I've been using the same Pro controller on the Switch.

The built in battery lasts days. Hell, it lasts fucking months in the case for the Switch Pro controller.

Thinking a built in battery is an issue to be worried about is absolutely asinine.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
If they included the charging option in the box, that'd be great

When it's a separate peripheral it's a whole 'nother hassle

Plus I play games on a computer monitor at my desk so even if the battery dies I can just make it wired again, not a big deal for me

But yeah the ideal solution would be making it all part of the package

Play and charge kit is honestly more an argument for why they should keep doing it this way. Because if the battery in that thing was inbuilt? I shutter to think. That battery is so bog standard and not that great. It loses its charge so fast. The 360 one was even worse.

And as a separate item like now, I genuinely would be annoyed if they upped the price to include the play and charge kit, which they would do. Actually they do do that. It's a bundle. And it's expensive. I think if the battery was inbuilt they'd honestly just raise the price. I don't think we're losing anything honestly.

I like that I can plug in eneloops, of my choosing. I wish I could do that with my DS4.

Also you can make it wired without batteries. You don't need batteries to use an Xbox One controller.

Jon God

Oct 28, 2017
Pay once, play until next generation.

Better for the environment.

Never get stuck without batteries.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Most people won't use rechargable batteries. Let's not pretend otherwise.

What? I only know two people irl who use disposable batteries...for anything, and that's because they're back neighborhood sorta country boys who are used to that and have a way of finding people who hook them up with bizarre things like, a truckbed, which is apparently useful, and a huge like, gigantic bag of batteries they are slowing going through.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I've never had to replace the built batteries on my Nintendo and Playstation controllers, ever. Maybe preservationists will slap us in the face 15 years from now, but they hold up well after the intended generation of usage.