• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
Never had a piece of hardware need to be replaced because of a dying internal battery so, nah, I'm good.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

On top of that, the real secret is that the xbox rechargable battery pack is really just a pair of eneloops in a fancy case with the charger built in. As people have mentioned, 8-bitdo does the same thing.

This is exactly how controllers should work going forward. It's the best of both worlds, it is also great for preservation.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
The best thing about the Elite Series 2 controller is that it has an internal battery. The amount of time I had to spend charging and swapping out batteries in the regular Xbox controller was a real drag.

Oct 25, 2017
wrong

51dSBvGXumL._AC_SX425_.jpg

This works identically to how people are describing the DS4, with the added bonus that I don't have to disassemble the controller to replace the battery when it no longer holds a charge, and I can switch to standard batteries in the future when they stop outright producing the proprietary batteries inside controllers like the HTC Vive controller or DS4.
This is a perfect solution except it costs 30 dollars. A 10ft USB cable costs 3.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
people who prefer built in batteries dont realize rechargeable batteries that last longer than those garbage built in batteries exist

The battery in my PS4 pad that I got 6 years ago is still fine.

the battery in my PS3 pad from 11 years ago is still fine.

I have no doubt the battery in my Elite Series pad and Switch Pro controller will also last a very long time.

Last edited:

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
With PS4 controllers, I just put the controller on a charger each night, super easy. The controllers I've had for years still work fine.

With Xbox controllers, I have to remove physically remove the low batteries, grab the battery charger with the good batteries in it, swap them, plug it back in somewhere, put the good batteries in the controller, then store away the other ones when they finish charging. Not nearly as convenient.

For record, I bought a 3rd party battery pack and charger kit for my Xbox controllers, so I don't have to go through the battery swapping anymore.
So in a way, it's still better to have a controller use AA batteries, as long as battery packs are an option for those who prefer it.

Last edited:

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
You are making it sound like it's perfectly acceptable having to replace an insanely expensive piece of hardware like a cellphone every 2 to 3 years. And before using the tired addiction argument, I have kids so if I play a little bit and each of my kids too throughout the day, it adds up. It's not acceptable to have built-in non exchangeable batteries that degrade after 2 years, no matter which way you want to spin it.
Batteries degrade based on recharge cycles. All of them. Swappable or not . The only problem here is the difficulty or how expensive is changing them because the design of a piece of hardware, be it a phone or a pad or a portable device. You don't have to replace it, you can get your battery replaced. But many don't like to pay 100€ for a battery and instead want a fancy new phone. I still have my note 4 which i will replace its battery when dies ( used by my daughter to play).
I don't know how much is replacing a battery in a controller, I've never had such an issue, which is the debate here, but if out of warranty (2 years) is not much more expensive than a charger and 4 rechargeable batteries.
Oh, and if you have kids, chances are high that you have more than one controller, so cycles are halved in the long run, unless you always use the same pad, which makes no sense.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
I don't understand why it has to be a black and white thing. There are pros and cons to both and people have their preferences about what works best for them.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
It's all about options and a controller supporting AA batteries means you have a lot more.

you don't have the option for a lighter controller where you never have to replace the batteries.

There's a reason Nintendo, Sony, and MS on their high end controller, all use internal batteries.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
My controllers will break (analog stick drift, trigger sticks when pressed in, button doesn't always register, etc) YEARS before their batteries can't hold a charge, so I really don't get why this is an issue for some people. Even if I don't use the controller enough to wear it down, it stills takes a hell of a long time for the batteries to go. Like my PS3's Dual Shock 3, which I bought in 2011 and still holds a charge for ~5 hours. Sure, it'll become a problem eventually but by then there's a good chance my PS3 will be sitting in my closet and I'll never use it anyway.

OP
OP

TCG276

Dec 17, 2017
More like...

Built-In Battery: "Oh no! My controller's running out of charge!" > *picks up USB cable* > *tries to plug it in, but it won't fit* > *turns cable and tries to plug it in, but it still won't fit* > *turns cable back to originally orientation and successfully plugs it in* > *curses the design of microUSB ports and cables* > *can finally play again*

I think they're a bit more competitive now.

This made me laugh! I think everyone can relate to this. Thank god everything is moving to USB C!

Neuroxia

Mar 31, 2019
No preferences here. I have 3rd party battery packs for my 360 and Xbox One controllers and they basically function like built in ones. But if i would have to use AAs, that would be annoying.
Also, replacing the built in battery on dualshocks and nintendo controllers takes at most 2-3 minutes and should be doable even by someone who never used a screwdriver before, so i don't see it as an issue.

Nov 8, 2017
I don't understand why it has to be a black and white thing. There are pros and cons to both and people have their preferences about what works best for them.

Realistically all that has to change for the AA battery solution to be outright better is a price drop on the game pad so that the rechargeable battery packs (the plug and charge kits) plus the game pad is the exact same price as the competitors controller.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
I've had my PS4 since 2014 and this year was the first time I've ever had to buy a new controller because battery was lasting about 1~2 hours only. I've been using the DS4 that came with my PS4 exclusively before then.

I don't know, I think built-in batteries are fine.

ZeroMaverick

Mar 5, 2018
I find it really, really hard to believe that you can't see why people argue that a controller with a built in battery is better. It's pretty obvious.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
No preferences here. I have 3rd party battery packs for my 360 and Xbox One controllers and they basically function like built in ones. But if i would have to use AAs, that would be annoying.
Also, replacing the built in battery on dualshocks and nintendo controllers takes at most 2-3 minutes and should be doable even by someone who never used a screwdriver before, so i don't see it as an issue.
trying to replace the internal batteries in current gen controllers isnt as easy as ps360 era controllers. you risk breaking really small parts or clips that leave the controllers no longer functioning the same

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
I bought a play and charge kit at the beginning of the gen and it still lasts me 7-8 hours a charge and I can just plug it in via usb when I play to charge. Meanwhile, my PS4 controller lasts me about 6-7 hours and I've only had it for a year. Constantly have to stop my play sessions or charge it every night.

You can charge it while you play. All you need is a USB cord and a power adapater.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
That comes with the charger and the batteries last 2100 charges. Even if you charged them once a week they're going to last you a LONG time.
Good, better price. 2100 cycles is a bit misleading imo though. Varies on what kind of battery, i guess, but always have seen that the usual number of cycles for majority of batteries is around 400, then they start losing capacity

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
oh yeah buy a 60 dollar controller instead of buying the 4 pack of eneloops that come with charger for 15 bucks that only take 10 seconds to swap out.

Amazon.com: Panasonic K-KJ17MCA4BA Advanced Individual Cell Battery Charger Pack with 4 AA eneloop 2100 Cycle Rechargeable Batteries: PANASONIC: Electronics

Buy Panasonic K-KJ17MCA4BA Advanced Individual Cell Battery Charger Pack with 4 AA eneloop 2100 Cycle Rechargeable Batteries: Batteries - Amazon.com ✓ FREE DELIVERY possible on eligible purchases

You're going to have 2 dualshocks anyways if you play local multiplayer at all.

Oct 25, 2017
Have yet to have a problem with ds3/4 battery life. The 360 battery packs were hot garbage though. Can't speak on One battery pack since it's a recent purchase. I used to have eneloops but it was a hassle organizing what was charged and what wasn't and things that required 3 batteries or AAA. I also misplaced a bunch moving multiple times.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I think that the best solution is the one on xbox one where you can either use batteries, or a play and charge kit if you want to recharge your batteries while playing. Now, I think that the other great solution is the pro controller on the swtch where the battery lasts a good time

Sony needs to improve the battery life with the dualshock though, I feel that in one week I recharged that controller the same amount of times than I do with the other 2 for 1 month

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
wrong

51dSBvGXumL._AC_SX425_.jpg

This works identically to how people are describing the DS4, with the added bonus that I don't have to disassemble the controller to replace the battery when it no longer holds a charge, and I can switch to standard batteries in the future when they stop outright producing the proprietary batteries inside controllers like the HTC Vive controller or DS4.

If every controller came with this pre-packaged I think it'd be no contest that it's the best option. Buying extra peripherals or having to go out to a grocery store to buy AAs suck.

OP
OP

TCG276

Dec 17, 2017
I'm currently doing the best and worst of both worlds.

Rechargeable battery wise, I only roll with Eneloops and have them in an 8 bay charger. 8 in the field, 8 on charge.

But I roll with the switch pro controller. So I have two, one in use, and one on charge.

I agree with OP with the benefits of field serviceable batteries. But the one good thing about the built in OEM batteries is that they allow for slimmer design. Which is a big win for moving hardware that's sexy. The moment something is modular, space is eaten up. Macbook vs IBM Thinkpad comes to mind.

I definitely agree that built in internal batteries have allowed companies to build sexier products, however, it is at the cost of more devices being pitched out sooner than past products with user replaceable parts like batteries, so if I truly think about that impact on the environment, I don't think it's worth it.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
I have ADD, controllers with built in batteries are Satan's spawn 🤣.

I hate the DS4. I can't use it unless it's wired when I forget to plug it in. I have to have like a 15 foot USB cable across the room if I forget.

It's a stupid design it you consider all scenarios.

Controllers with both standard battery AND rechargable docking/plug in options, like Xbox, is 1000% the best way to make controllers.

It gives you multiple options. Options are always better than no options, always.

Gif

Dec 20, 2019
My PS move batteries have died and it sucks.

I wish they just had AA batteries - got loads of enelopes lying around

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
Outside of the argument of convenience AA batteries add more weight and a slightly odd bump to the back of the controller.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Built in Battery: "Oh no my controller's running out of charge!" > "plugs in usb charager usually connected to console, continues playing as it charges"

AA Batteries: "Oh no my controllers running out of charge!" > "finds charged batteries" > "opens back of controller" > "removes dry batteries" > "inserts new batteries" > " closes up back of controller" > "inserts old batteries to be charged" > "can finally game again"

Reality:

AA batteries: Oh no my controllers running out of charge!" > plugs in USB cables, continues playing > swaps out batteries when its convenient to do so.

This rarely happens though because you've got 20hrs+ of playtime.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
AA batteries and investing in rechargeable batteries is the way to go. Slight inconvenience for something that is easy to replace when they die is well worth it

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
Never had a PS4 controller lose its battery life. I get the same disappointing 6 hours now that I was getting 6 years ago. No judgement, but how frequent and for how long are people's gaming sessions that they're losing DS4 battery life in a few years?

Also OP it's a little silly to say you don't understand why people think built-in batteries are better and then first thing you do is make the topic strictly about the DS4. Getting 40 hours out of a Switch Pro Controller is incredible.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
It is also fun that people always have AA batteries fully charged just in case, but always forget to plug a USB cable after long sessions with their DS4. Seems a bit odd, especially those that seem so upset about battery life... Seems not very logical that if you are so aware and vocal about this issue you always forget to charge it. Makes no sense

It also doesn't make sense almost no one mentioning Switch, which is way more complicated than replacing a controller, lol.

EdgeXL

Oct 27, 2017
California
I have no issue with people who have different preferences than me but I cannot fathom that I would ever prefer a sealed internal battery over cheap, commonly available AA batteries.

Especially when the sealed internal battery has notoriously low capacity and there is no official replacement available on stores.

Deleted member 2652

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i hate having to route cables in weird ways to hide my controllers when charging. I would much rather have a single place to charge a bunch of AAs and be able to throw all my controllers in a drawer and never worry about charging them individually.

It is also fun that people always have AA batteries fully charged just in case, but always forget to plug a USB cable after long sessions with their DS4. Seems a bit odd, especially those that seem so upset about battery life... Seems not very logical that if you are so aware and vocal about this issue you always forget to charge it. Makes no sense
you only need one more set of eneloops than controllers. it's simple.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
You are correct that in the longterm it is preferable to be able to replace the batteries. However, you aren't going to notice battery degradation until years later (and that is only if you are frequently gaming). For the most part, built-in batteries are just way more convenient. It would be nice if it was easy to remove them though (without having to undo any screws) so that we could have the best of both worlds.

leburn98

Nov 1, 2017
Funny thing about the cost argument is that while yes there is an added cost to using rechargeable AA batteries and a charger, many PS4 owners I know have gone out and purchased a charging station for their controllers, defeating the cost argument. In fact, in my circle of friends and family that own a PS4 (about 10), I think I am the only one that still sticks to using a long USB cable.