• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
Batteries are expensive, yo. I'd rather get a controller that's rechargable than buy batteries all the time.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
This is one of my biggest concerns about wanting to switch to a PS5 next gen. I hate the idea of having to plug a long ass usb cable in when the controller dies. My cat would inevitably fuck with a long as cable running across my living room too, which will be annoying.
Use a rechargeable usb battery plugged to your controller, solved. You can have it by your side

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
people who prefer built in batteries dont realize rechargeable batteries that last longer than those garbage built in batteries exist

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
As we can see, everyone is different and have different experiences. So the AA battery option would be welcome to quite a few people using the PlayStation, but just how many actually want it and can it be proven that it's enough to warrant a complete redesign that may well completely mess up the existing controller functions and make it unreliable?

The same with DualSense - if they were to redesign it to fit AAs, that would add to the cost of the controller AND it would stifle the kind of innovations they want to include because they have to design the controller around that AA compartment when they already have a lot of tech in there that will already potentially drive the cost up for the coming generation.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
You all have TVs right with a remote that likely uses AAs, maybe other things in your home as well. Buying a charger and some eneloops for those and game controllers is so worth it and cheap in the long run. So much less hassle and free to swap out batteries.
What are you talking about. Ppl don't use remotes anymore.

/s

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For average Joe gamer like me PS4 controller is great. Don't have to worry about batteries, haven't had the need to replace it for 4 years, and that probably is the use case for 99% of the PS4 population.

Clowns

Oct 25, 2017
i'm so confused

do people not know rechargable AAs exist

do Xbox controllers not charge the batteries if plugged in

OP
OP

TCG276

Dec 17, 2017
People are asking for the option to replace the battery easily, not necessarily for AA batteries. Internal batteries in cellphones is not done to be convenient, it's a strategic move so that companies like Apple, Samsung and Google can charge you an obscene amount of money to replace the battery or worst, force the customer to buy a new device. So many products today are built under the guise of convenience, when in reality it's meant to make it as inconvenient and difficult to self service as possible. There was a time when replacing a battery in a cell phone was as simple as sliding the back off and replacing the battery.

This is so on point. It is mind boggling to me how people don't get this. I think it's because many people are privileged enough to just replace phones and computers before the internal batteries start to fail, so they don't even think about it. Unfortunately, many of these same people will also scream about the environmental impact of batteries. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Megamind.

Nov 18, 2019
If your controller's internal battery stops holding a charge, you need to buy a new controller. If your rechargeable AAs stop holding a charge, you need to buy a couple more AAs.

But this is a future-proofing, long term thing.
That is a malfunction and it can happen in any component of the controller. If the battery dock has a malfunction and it can not use the AA batteries you need a new controller. Citing a malfunction is not the same as citing a design choice or flaw.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
TCG276 Or it's just not that serious. My DS4 hasn't ever died (to the point of requiring replacement) nor has any iPhone I've ever owned. I'd imagine thats the case for 98.6% of users.

I understand it's a possibility....but then so is a meteor destroying my apartment.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Built in Battery: "Oh no my controller's running out of charge!" > "plugs in usb charager usually connected to console, continues playing as it charges"

AA Batteries: "Oh no my controllers running out of charge!" > "finds charged batteries" > "opens back of controller" > "removes dry batteries" > "inserts new batteries" > " closes up back of controller" > "inserts old batteries to be charged" > "can finally game again"
More like...

Built-In Battery: "Oh no! My controller's running out of charge!" > *picks up USB cable* > *tries to plug it in, but it won't fit* > *turns cable and tries to plug it in, but it still won't fit* > *turns cable back to originally orientation and successfully plugs it in* > *curses the design of microUSB ports and cables* > *can finally play again*

I think they're a bit more competitive now.

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've owned my PS4 and controllers since the launch of bloodborne. Never had to replace the batteries

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
TCG276 Or it's just not that serious. My DS4 hasn't ever died (to the point of requiring replacement) nor has any iPhone I've ever owned. I'd imagine thats the case for 98.6% of users.

I understand it's a possibility....but then so is a meteor destroying my apartment.
Exactly, sometimes it seems all controllers using non replaceable batteries die sooner than later. ( But nobody is worried about their Switch that uses the same solution and is worse since more battery cicles will be used because battery lasts less, plus it's stressed by heat)

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That is a malfunction and it can happen in any component of the controller. If the battery dock has a malfunction and it can not use the AA batteries you need a new controller. Citing a malfunction is not the same as citing a design choice or flaw.

This is not a malfunction, it's how rechargeable batteries work. Rechargable batteries experience chemical changes over time, this is why batteries are rated for a number of charges.

Megamind.

Nov 18, 2019
Having a long USB cable running from my couch to the console under my tv is a much bigger inconvenience than replacing the batteries in my controller, which takes about 30 seconds.

I can see that being an inconvenience, despite me not having it. It would seen like having a dock station to charge your controller on between play sessions would solve that as you wouldnt run out of battery time unless you're play sessions are incredibly long. just my point of view though

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
I think this should be the takeaway for OP if they're thinking of 'switching' consoles. Outside of preference and people preferring one or the other, you're gonna be fine. Neither solution is gonna break you. If you have an Xbox controller you're gonna get used to switching out some rechargeable batteries once a month. If you have a DualShock/Sense, you're gonna get used to plugging it in to charge when you're not playing. Neither is a problem and neither will ruin your gaming.

I mean it's started spirited debate in here more than once, but we're really talking about trivial stuff for the most part. I prefer what Sony does, but 0% chance of it being the reason I would buy a PS5 or Series X.

Even with my example of the 360 we're talking about the nittiest of first world problems. I didn't like having to get or charge those batteries but come on we're not talking monumental effort or gobs of money.

Zeel

Oct 27, 2017
This is so on point. It is mind boggling to me how people don't get this. I think it's because many people are privileged enough to just replace phones and computers before the internal batteries start to fail, so they don't even think about it. Unfortunately, many of these same people will also scream about the environmental impact of batteries. 🤦🏻‍♂️

True, almost every cellphone nowadays will have a very noticeable drop in battery capacity after 2 years of use, same goes for many controllers, especially dual shock 4 of you are using it regularly. People who claim otherwise most likely are privileged enough to buy new hardware regularly or just don't use it much.

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
It's the same reason I prefer QC25s over 35s. Aside from the fact that I'm not a fan of wireless tech, QC25s use a single AAA battery.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
I definitely prefer AA batteries. Can easily have another set charging when needed. Especially compared to something like my ps4 controllers where they only last a few hours.

FGLS1992

Banned
Apr 8, 2020
The amount of people saying that they feel in the 90s is fascinating.

The AA batteries give you options. If you buy a pair of eneloops, you're good to go for many years. If you buy 2 pairs, then you'll be able to switch without hassle when a pair dies and need a charge.

The built-in battery is convenient, there are millions of people that do not want to deal with changing batteries anymore and they prefer the easier to use option, as you can see on this thread. They lose their choice just to have a little more convenience. It's so weird that they believe is the best choice, but each to their own.

I'm a 100% on board with replaceable batteries everywhere. Because it makes sense. Imagine a car without replaceable batteries. Imagine a DSLR camera without replaceable batteries! THAT WOULD BE INSANE! LOL.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
More like...

Built-In Battery: "Oh no! My controller's running out of charge!" > *picks up USB cable* > *tries to plug it in, but it won't fit* > *turns cable and tries to plug it in, but it still won't fit* > *turns cable back to originally orientation and successfully plugs it in* > *curses the design of microUSB ports and cables* > *can finally play again*

We're talking about micro USB, not USB-A. Most people have never had problems finding the right orientation with micro USB.

And even then, USB C is coming.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
More like...

USB-Superposition-1.jpg

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
More like...

USB-C in the new controllers means we no longer have to worry about that pesky microUSB. That argument then ceases to be. As tech advances, so should our experience.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
It's convenience for me at least.

I always reach a point with AA's that I run out.

I don't view it as choice vs no choice. But more like free vs the choice of what to pay for.
As long as the free is decent, it's usually the more optimal choice for me.

Jamaro

Oct 27, 2017
I'd rather have to swap AA batteries than run a USB cable from my PS4 to wherever I'm sitting. I guess I could get a longer USB cable and it wouldn't be a huge issue. But as someone who has played a lot more PS4 than XBox One I vastly prefer swapping AA batteries. With two pairs of rechargeable batteries it is not an inconvenience at all to me.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Get two dual shock 4 controllers swap them as needed with one on the charger. Problem solved.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
People love to pretend that their controllers are wireless while being tethered via a USB cable half the time, or outright replacing controllers because they won't charge any more.
My first DualShock 4 died after a year or so, and its replacement no longer charges via USB any more - so I had to buy an expensive dock for it.
Very convenient.

Meanwhile I'm still using the same Eneloops that I bought back in 2012 in other controllers.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
True, almost every cellphone nowadays will have a very noticeable drop in battery capacity after 2 years of use, same goes for many controllers, especially dual shock 4 of you are using it regularly. People who claim otherwise most likely are privileged enough to buy new hardware regularly or just don't use it much.
Phones are charged daily, almost full charge. And it takes 2 years to drop battery. Unless you use you controller daily for hours, and i would say that you have a problem of addiction in that case, you won't face this issue.
As for the environmental experts, sure, AA aren't a problem, everyone takes them to recycling spots, sure.

Lost Knight

Mar 17, 2019
West Virginia
Having AA batteries means I have options, I still remember when one of my DS3s died on me and I couldn't do anything because the battery was inside. At least with the Xbox controller I can open it up and use a battery pack if I wanted it to be rechargeable and there are even rechargeable AA batteries, options are good.

Zeel

Oct 27, 2017
It's all about options, why can't some people see that? We can have chargeable batteries AND exchangeable single-use batteries at the same time.

KamiCrit

Oct 27, 2017
Western Canada
I'm currently doing the best and worst of both worlds.

Rechargeable battery wise, I only roll with Eneloops and have them in an 8 bay charger. 8 in the field, 8 on charge.

But I roll with the switch pro controller. So I have two, one in use, and one on charge.

I agree with OP with the benefits of field serviceable batteries. But the one good thing about the built in OEM batteries is that they allow for slimmer design. Which is a big win for moving hardware that's sexy. The moment something is modular, space is eaten up. Macbook vs IBM Thinkpad comes to mind.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
Get two dual shock 4 controllers swap them as needed with one on the charger. Problem solved.
oh yeah buy a 60 dollar controller instead of buying the 4 pack of eneloops that come with charger for 15 bucks that only take 10 seconds to swap out.

Amazon.com: Panasonic K-KJ17MCA4BA Advanced Individual Cell Battery Charger Pack with 4 AA eneloop 2100 Cycle Rechargeable Batteries: PANASONIC: Electronics

Buy Panasonic K-KJ17MCA4BA Advanced Individual Cell Battery Charger Pack with 4 AA eneloop 2100 Cycle Rechargeable Batteries: Batteries - Amazon.com ✓ FREE DELIVERY possible on eligible purchases

Camoxide

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
UK
Having a long USB cable running from my couch to the console under my tv is a much bigger inconvenience than replacing the batteries in my controller, which takes about 30 seconds.
Why don't you use a phone charger near your coach.

In fact, a lot of modern outlets have USB ports on now. You don't have to use the USB port on the console to charge.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
all of this is moot, because the xbox controller has a USB port
I think what people are getting at with plugging the DualShock 4 in when the battery runs low is that you don't have to keep it plugged into the USB port for that long to get the charge back to a place where you can then uplug it and sling it back to where you picked it up from. All of these actions can be achieved without interrupting your session for more than a couple of seconds if at all. With the Xbox controller, you will always have to keep it plugged in via USB unless you go to wherever your rechargable AAs are and go through the replacement process.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think what people are getting at with plugging the DualShock 4 in when the battery runs low is that you don't have to keep it plugged into the USB port for that long to get the charge back to a place where you can then uplug it and discard it across the room to where you picked it up from. All of these actions can be achieved without interrupting your gameplay for more than a couple of seconds if at all. With the Xbox controller, you will always have to keep it plugged in via USB unless you go to wherever your rechargable AAs are and go through the replacement process.

wrong

51dSBvGXumL._AC_SX425_.jpg

This works identically to how people are describing the DS4, with the added bonus that I don't have to disassemble the controller to replace the battery when it no longer holds a charge, and I can switch to standard batteries in the future when they stop outright producing the proprietary batteries inside controllers like the HTC Vive controller or DS4.

styl_oh

Fallen One-Winged Chicken Chaser
Nov 24, 2019
Alberta, Canada
OK yeah I knew there was something weird with the Xbox thing. Does the USB not actually... charge it? It just keeps it on?

I was under the silly assumption that it was an either/or option. Welp time to see if these two possibly dead mixed-brand gas station batteries work for a bit

Zeel

Oct 27, 2017
Phones are charged daily, almost full charge. And it takes 2 years to drop battery. Unless you use you controller daily for hours, and i would say that you have a problem of addiction in that case, you won't face this issue.
As for the environmental experts, sure, AA aren't a problem, everyone takes them to recycling spots, sure.

You are making it sound like it's perfectly acceptable having to replace an insanely expensive piece of hardware like a cellphone every 2 to 3 years. And before using the tired addiction argument, I have kids so if I play a little bit and each of my kids too throughout the day, it adds up. It's not acceptable to have built-in non exchangeable batteries that degrade after 2 years, no matter which way you want to spin it.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
wrong

51dSBvGXumL._AC_SX425_.jpg

This works identically to how people are describing the DS4, with the added bonus that I don't have to disassemble the controller to replace the battery when it no longer holds a charge, and I can switch to standard batteries in the future when they stop outright producing the proprietary batteries inside controllers like the HTC Vive controller or DS4.
I stand corrected.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
I'm still using the same eneloop batteries from 360 era... still outperform ps4 internal battery.
Good for you. I've spent quite a bit of money on rechargeable batteries and chargers, my experience is exactly the opposite. Plus the different brands available will offer also different experiences.
Just an example, i bought 4 from Amazon some weeks ago to use them for a Bluetooth mouse i bought.
Despite charging those for 12h , windows 10 says battery for mouse is only 67% full just after turning it on. That was 2 weeks ago approx, today battery is 30%
However the other mouse i have has been using the same alkaline batteries for 10 months now.
So i guess luck is part of the equation, as some here claim their DS4 batteries are dead in less than a year ( which would be still under warranty btw)