• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
i dont see how popping in a wire to your controller is less convenient than opening up your controller, taking out old batteries and putting in new ones while then closing it again. what if you run out of batteries? then your controller is useless. i just dont see how its more convenient
If your controller's internal battery stops holding a charge, you need to buy a new controller. If your rechargeable AAs stop holding a charge, you need to buy a couple more AAs.

But this is a future-proofing, long term thing.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I have a bunch of eneloops and a battery dispenser. It takes maybe 30 seconds to swap batteries out, and I don't have to play with a controller plugged in at all. Yes, it's a bummer that people who want to just plug in their controllers to charge them have to pay extra for a charger kit on Xbox consoles, but I'd rather have the choice to do that than to be stuck with an internal battery. I have 2-3 dozen eneloops. Those will outlast any internal battery by a longshot.
I mean, the elephant in the room that goes unmentioned is that the charger kit, or the sorts of rechargables that people tend to recommend for gaming, tend to last a lot, lot longer on a full charge than the DS4 in particular does

Wouldn't mind it if the DS5 lasts like five times longer though. DS4's battery life has more in common with a modern Nintendo handheld than it should

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
There's been many times where I've have my controller run low on battery in the middle of competitive matches and having to replace them mid match means disconnecting your controller for a short time. Recharge battery can be plugged in almost immediately with no disconnection. That is really my only issue with AA.

If your AA batteries are running low you can plug in the controller and just use it wired, just the same. You don't have to put any batteries in it. In future, just plug it into your console, same as you would to charge a DualShock. They both work the same way.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I see ppl saying convenience for built in batteries.

I have 10 rechargeable AA. Just yesterday every PS4 controller in the house was dead. I have 9, (other family members have their own PS4)

I always have at least 2 AA charged up. I could also make sure the same thing happens to the PS4 controllers, but I can only control my own, and I usually do.

For the AA, I always have some hidden. So I'm always ready to play.

There is a convenience factor to rechargeable AA batteries. And the XBO controller can be used wired with no batteries. All MS had to do was make it work wireless too and it would be the best of both worlds. Their solution is nice tho.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Similar argument to preferring the ability to replace the drive rather than just plugin in expandable storage.

For many I understand that it's bewildering that something as advanced as a home console input is using AA batteries. It's not like a TV remote where you use it so irregularly that batteries will last for months. It's used for uninterrupted hours on end. People are used to the rechargeable AAs method and it works, so they'll keep going that way. If Xbox switched to internal tomorrow, people would just adjust like they once upon a time adjusted to using AAs after they switched from wired controllers to wireless. It's that simple.

The industry standardised internal long ago and electronic input devices are being designed to not have to work around the bulk that is a AA battery compartment.

Col.Asher

Nov 10, 2017
I'd rather not buy a pack of batteries every week, and just get a usb charger if i run low whilst playing. I've had to stop playing more often due to not having AA batteries.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
I game for 20+ hours a week on PlayStation for the last 15 years or whatever it has been since PS3 released and none of my controllers have ever stopped holding a charge.

I'll take 15 years of pure convenience over having to buy/replace/charge batteries.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
The ps4 controller isn't a good argument against built in batteries, that's just a bad piece of design. The elite 2 and switch controllers both work fine

Apr 19, 2018
Germany
I always play wired, never have to think about batteries/battery life one way or the other. Probably prefer built in batteries over buying recharable batteries or a battery pack extra though.

NickatNite

Oct 27, 2017
California
I've never had a issue with PS3 & PS4 regarding charging. Day 1 DualShock 4 still holds a charge that last for several sessions. My DualShock 3 from ~08 still works perfectly fine.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
almost every other modern device uses a built in battery, it shows its just more convenient.

your choice of having either way comes with a price though. if you want a built in battery thats rechargeable you need to pay microsoft extra. if it was really about a choice MS would offer two types of controllers both at the same price, one with the option for AA batteries and one built in.

i dont see how popping in a wire to your controller is less convenient than opening up your controller, taking out old batteries and putting in new ones while then closing it again. what if you run out of batteries? then your controller is useless. i just dont see how its more convenient

Every other modern device has a built in battery because having a removal battery has a major impact on the form factor (specifically the size / thinness of the device). That's not an issue with most video game controllers, the one exception being something like the JoyCon.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
What controller and batteries are you using?

I've been using the same rechargeable eneloop batteries since the xbox 360 days, and they last longer per charge, than PS4 controllers purchased this gen. I swap them out once a month whereas ps4 controller must go on the charger daily.
I've tried many, for years, so don't know, usually from reliable brands, Energizer for example, but also Amazon ones. Controllers: Wii and 360.
But goes beyond that: remotes or even led lights i have in the wardrobe last less using rechargeable vs alkaline. And what is worse, with alkaline i know more or less good long will last, with rechargeable is a lottery.

And i still have my almost 15 years old sixaxis (the one without vibration) which i use as a second controller for my switch using mayflash ns adaptor working perfectly well.
Ps4 controllers last less than DS3 but also zero problems with then batteries dying

MajulaDream

Oct 25, 2017
I just want fewer things to manage or worry about when playing a game. Much prefer just plugging a cable into a controller to charge it, than go looking for batteries and having to dispose of the old batteries.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I
im already plugging in like 20 devices to charge and its the easiest thing aside from wireless charging. Then add one charger for individual c-cells and another for managing large lipos. This is already obnoxious enough without having to flip aa's in and out and tend another charger for the few devices without their own battery. Unfortunate the steam controller uses aa's. At least they last a reasonable time, because I just throw them away. I use the steam controller less for this reason. Wireless keyboards and mice last so long that I don't worry about throwing them away. Never mind it seems to be only 'eneloop' enthusiasts who want to use aa's in their controllers lol.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yes it a bit disappointing they didnt also include a little 2000mah battery and usbC fast charging for the XsX controller.
I would happily pay an extra £5 per controller for this.

I would too, but that willingness to spend more is probably one reason they don't, because there will unfortunately always be some consumers (like me) that pay the extra for their play and charge kits instead, which when I checked just now are £16.99. That's a tidy extra margin for Microsoft for those that do buy their proprietary P&C kit instead of rechargeable batteries and a charger.

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017
Imagine expectations to putting AA batteries into your iPhone lol

Or Surface pro for that matter.

Why do they have built in rechargeable batteries? Because it's higher quality expectations.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think one is superior over the other, it's a matter of personal preference. I've never lost a controller due to the internal battery not holding a charge.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
You may want to be obtuse to the point, but akaline batteries are prone to bursting and acid corrosion. Replacing those wholesale is smart regardless because when those things die next time, you can replace them with something that won't die again in a few years.

Smoke detector batteries tend to die more frequently, and if you're going to be consistently replacing those lest you want to die, makes sense to buy rechargeable ones to save you money over time.

If you play video games extensively, it makes more sense to not have to tether yourself to a controller in order to keep playing when the controller dies when swapping in a fresh pack or a fresh pair takes 10 seconds and you can charge your other batteries, and you don't have to deal with the whole "my controller won't charge, but I have a screwdriver, let me buy a replacement battery off of ebay and Amazon" only for it to arrive at your home and be a pack of shit because the battery is actually 500mah instead of the 1500 because you have a counterfeit. And if you don't feel like researching which battery to get, you're just going to chuck the controller, the old battery, and probably the fake one in the trash and buy a new controller; that's far more wasteful.

And just because you have some seemingly niche electronics lifestyle where nothing but a single remote needs batteries and are more than capable of subsisting off of a single micro-b cable doesn't mean it's the superior solution.

...okay? That feels like you're devoting way more thought to my lifestyle and various electronics in my house than I do, which is a bit weird, but fine.
I don't have a smoke detector and pretty much everything else that is battery operated (like the kitchen scale and whatnot) uses button cells.
Honest to god, AA battery charger would be only for my Xbox controllers, which, at this point in the lifecycle of the console sounds like a bad investment anyway, but more importantly, I can only argue what is more convenient for me personally.
I understand this is a hard concept to grasp. Give it a few minutes. Smell the roses. Go outside. Move on with your life.

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
It's all preference, really. I prefer having a controller charging while playing with the other, instead of stopping and fiddling with batteries. (Rechargable batteries are cheap at costco these days)

Every official play and charge kit for my Xbox has died within a year, so in my experience, those battery packs should just be avoided.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I don't care either way, I may even slightly prefer AA batteries, but... You could make an argument you're getting more value with a built-in battery because with the Xbox controllers you have to either purchase rechargeable AA's or replace AA's regularly which could add quite a bit of cost to the controller over its life.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
I agree it's nice to have the option but I do wish Microsoft included a play and charge kit. It's stinks having to buy one for another $25 when the controller is already like $65 I know there are cheaper third party options but I've always had bad experiences with them.

Deleted member 46948

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Because you're just replacing one worry with another, that being that you need to remember to plug in your controller to charge it all the time. I don't have a set start and end point when I'm gaming and often I'll get interrupted in the middle of playing and don't end up coming back, so my controller doesn't get plugged in, when I need it, it's dead. Not to mention my DS4 has horrible battery life, it's constantly dying on me. So I either have to stop playing or play with it plugged in. There is NO other option and that is certainly not convenient.

Meanwhile my Eneloops generally last me for about 2-3 weeks of average gaming and if my controller dies it literally takes 15 seconds to swap out the batteries sitting the charger and I'm back playing. To me that is FAR more convenient.

Good. That is not my experience at all, but I understand that this is your preference.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
There's been many times where I've have my controller run low on battery in the middle of competitive matches and having to replace them mid match means disconnecting your controller for a short time. Recharge battery can be plugged in almost immediately with no disconnection. That is really my only issue with AA.

You can plug in a usb and keep going on the xbox controller....

Deleted member 15311

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like a "you" problem. You should buy rechargable AAs instead.
It's seems to me that, anything you say, he always has a life experience that contradicts exactly what you're saying, so i suppose you're just wasting your time. A friend of mine was like that with everything Sony, until 2 controllers died then he changed his tune.This after i said several times i was pissed off at them because my mp3 player at the time (expensive as fuck) didn't hold a charge after 1 year of use.

Jayembi

Jun 19, 2019
Smart phones used to come with user replaceable rechargeable batteries and it was great! Do you enjoy paying Apple to replace the battery in your iPhone when it no longer holds a charge, or are you privileged enough to get a new phone often enough that you have never had to do that?

The truth is that I don't buy iPhones, I understand that people like it but I feel that they are super overrated and there is a more feeling of belonging / social group for having them than for the functionality that gives for price / quality. And on the smartphones that I bought, I rarely had to change the battery, and when I did, I bought a generic one and changed it.

But I understand what you say, the problem is that they don't allow removable batteries without losing the warranty.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
I bought a play and charge kit at the beginning of the gen and it still lasts me 7-8 hours a charge and I can just plug it in via usb when I play to charge. Meanwhile, my PS4 controller lasts me about 6-7 hours and I've only had it for a year. Constantly have to stop my play sessions or charge it every night.

Th0rnhead

Oct 27, 2017
I personally prefer built in batteries. I have controllers with both—DualShock 4, Switch Pro Controller, and Joycons with rechargeable. Xbox One, Windows Mixed Reality, and Steam Controller that use AAs. I use rechargeable AAs for all those controllers, but I find just plugging in the controller itself much more convenient.

I think the best option is controllers with rechargeable batteries that are easily replaceable. Like the Switch Pro Controller—it's very easy to get to the battery. It also uses the same battery as the 3DS, making getting a replacement that much easier.

The main argument against proprietary batteries is that further into the future, when the batteries in old controllers are dead, it could be nearly impossible to get a replacement. So far though, a lot of older consoles still have replacement batteries being produced by third parties, for relatively cheap.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The truth is that I don't buy iPhones, I understand that people like it but I feel that they are super overrated and there is a more feeling of belonging / social group for having them than for the functionality that gives for price / quality. And on the smartphones that I bought, I rarely had to change the battery, and when I did, I bought a generic one and changed it.

But I understand what you say, the problem is that they don't allow removable batteries without losing the warranty.

I actually refuse to upgrade my Samsung phone, because they moved towards that model. In my experience, my phones stop holding charges very rapidly, I very much value the ability to easily swap out a battery for a new one.

I am actually looking for a newer phone with replaceable batteries for the very reason being discussed. it really sucks.

Deleted member 46948

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
So your experience is you never have to plug in your controller to charge it? Cause I never have to plug the Xbox controller in to charge it.

I have two Dualshocks and I just switch them on the cable. Problem solved.
I could do that with two Xbox controllers, too, if I forked another 25 bucks per controller for the same functionality.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
I've never had a preference either way, however my original PS3 controllers still work perfectly fine and I used the shit out of them. I've never replaced or had an issue with a controller with built in batteries losing charge. Other devices? Sure. I do hate the weight that gets added to Xbox controllers from batteries though.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
What controller and batteries are you using?

I've been using the same rechargeable eneloop batteries since the xbox 360 days, and they last longer per charge, than PS4 controllers purchased this gen. I swap them out once a month whereas ps4 controller must go on the charger daily.
I had some from then too. That they lasted into another console generation is wild.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
The industry standardised internal long ago and electronic input devices are being designed to not have to work around the bulk that is a AA battery compartment.

Bulk? There's still a battery inside rechargeable controllers. There still needs to be space for it. I've just held up both controllers and the backs of the DualShock and the Xbox controller are almost exactly the same size. The back of the Elite controller (internal, rechargeable battery) is exactly the same as the AA controllers. They're certainly not like the old 360 pads.

Just because they're not using specifically AA batteries doesn't mean there's no battery in there!

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I hate having to constantly worry about replacing AA batteries. Give me a built in battery that I can just charge anytime I want and not worry about replacing.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Rechargeable AA's can get you up to ~5000mAh compared to the 1000-1400mAh that seems typical of internal controller batteries.
Would be ideal if you could charge AA's in the controller through USB, but I suppose there are safety or reliability reasons why you can't.
Having to maintain an additional set, and swapping AA's every 50 hours of use or whatever isn't something anyone should be particularly bothered by, but I guess is some manner of inconvenience. I can't see how it's particularly more of one than either being unable to use the controller until it's at least partially charged, or having to wire it. Or having to buy a charging dock that charges the controller when the console is off.

Whether or not to use this or that is kind of a moot question as Microsoft's solution allows you to choose between AA's or an easily replaceable internal battery, offering whatever inconvenience you prefer. It's clearly and objectively superior to having just an internal battery that you have to break the warranty and risk fucking up the controller to replace. Would they have to pay Microsoft licensing fees or why is everyone else not copying Microsoft here?

Hopefully the DS5 battery life won't be terrible like the DS4's. And hopefully the charging cable won't make you sit in front of your couch.
Hopefully Microsoft won't decide to change course.

Last edited:

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Even if the rechargeable battery dies, it's very easy to buy a cheap replacement and replace it yourself. Like if you can use a screwdriver, you can do it. I don't understand how people like swappable batteries, with MS it just seems like a cash grab to sell you a play and charge kit. I would be less annoyed with it if they included the kit with the controller, then maybe you could argue that you're giving customers value + choice.