• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Megamind.

Nov 18, 2019
almost every other modern device uses a built in battery, it shows its just more convenient.

your choice of having either way comes with a price though. if you want a built in battery thats rechargeable you need to pay microsoft extra. if it was really about a choice MS would offer two types of controllers both at the same price, one with the option for AA batteries and one built in.

i dont see how popping in a wire to your controller is less convenient than opening up your controller, taking out old batteries and putting in new ones while then closing it again. what if you run out of batteries? then your controller is useless. i just dont see how its more convenient

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I mean, if you're claiming that you've bought a shit load of batteries for your Xbox controllers then it's totally on you for wasting money and not getting rechargables. I've had the same 6 batteries for many years that I swap out between various devices.

Again, _nothing_ else in my household uses AA batteries, I'm not buying a goddamn charger like I'm in high school again listening to walkman just for that.

Deleted member 15311

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
AA batteries are way more harmful to the environment than internal batteries simply because you buy lots of them and have to discard lots of them over the course of years. With internal batteries you discard them on a span of 2 to more years depending on the product. Let's not even enter in the realm of design, since AA batteries suck for product design. So, yeah, there's no reason for using AA batteries nowadays.
You do? Not me, i have rechargable batteries. I don't even know how people are using this as an argument to be honest.Searching for batteries, buying lots of batteries.I have the huge ammount of 4, that's right, batteries.

They take up an whole drawer, but fuck me if they're not convenient. I charge 2 of them when i'm using the controller, which takes about 3~4 hours, then i just store them and when the controller starts asking for batteries, change up and put the other ones to charge.

zthan

Oct 27, 2017
Lmao people thinking using AA batteries in 2020 means going to the store every time your controller is dead.

There's a wonderful thing that we have in 2020, it's called rechargable batteries. One of the best and most popular ones are Panasonic Eneloop. You can buy 4 of them boxed with a charger, they last around 60h on my Xbox controller, swapping them out takes literally 15 seconds. That's way more convinient than dealing with cables if you ask me.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Can some please explain their logic as to why you believe that a controller with a built in battery is better than a controller that uses AA batteries?

I think having a built in battery is far less consumer friendly than a controller that uses AA batteries. If we are looking at Xbox vs PS, you can purchase a charge kit for the Xbox controller so you have that choice. With the PS controller you don't have that choice, and when the built in battery starts to no longer hold a charge, you have to either buy a new controller or DIY replace it. How is that a better solution? With my Xbox one controller I have two sets of AA rechargeable batteries. One set is in the controller and the other in the charger on the wall. When one set dies I swap them out. It's super simple and requires no charging cables.

As someone who is planning to switch to PS next gen, the built in battery , and the controller battery life, have me the most concerned.

EDIT: I am referring to NI-MH rechargeable AA batteries. This is the same tech used in built in controller batteries. Saying they are worse for the environment makes no sense. They should technically last as long as a built in battery before needing replaced.

The argument makes no sense. If the AA batteries last longer per charge, and retain their capacity longer, I dont see how they arent viewed as objectively superior.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
You can tell who never had to replace batteries for his GameBoy every two weeks back in the day.

Wired is superior to either anyway.
I had to preemptively replace them because of the fear of them running out all of a sudden while I hadn't saved the game.
With that said, I did open one of my Dualshock 4 controlles once and I think replacing the battery wasn't that hard. It should be like some phones where you simply lift a cover and take them out.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Again, _nothing_ else in my household uses AA batteries, I'm not buying a goddamn charger like I'm in high school again listening to walkman just for that.

Lucky you I guess. I can see six devices from where I'm sat now in my gaming room that take AA batteries, not including my Xbox controllers!

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Same as Xbox . Best of both worlds
xbox-elite-play-charge-battery.jpg

Microsoft just stop being stingy and include one with the console or something

They used to with the Xbox 360.

Jangowuzhere

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The AA batteries add extra weight to the controller. I prefer a lighter gamepad.

It's one of the main reasons I prefer the Dual Shock 4 to the Xbox One Controller.

Deleted member 46948

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
You don't have TV remotes, a wireless mouse, a wireless keyboard, a smoke detector, or a thermostat?

Fine, you're right, out of all of those, I do have a TV remote that uses AA batteries, I stand corrected. I think I had to replace them exactly once, a couple of years ago.
That justifies the charger, I see the light now.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
If we are looking at Xbox vs PS, you can purchase a charge kit for the Xbox controller so you have that choice. With the PS controller you don't have that choice, and when the built in battery starts to no longer hold a charge, you have to either buy a new controller or DIY replace it.

My little brother had a 360 and I bought a PS3 when we lived closer. I don't remember us once ever thinking it sure is nice to need to replace batteries a lot for our 360. PS3 we played it. Plugged it in when needed. Didn't need to buy batteries or a charger for those batteries. Didn't need to buy a charge pack.

I gamed on the PS3 a ton and my wife still uses it to stream shows on our bedroom tv (I largely play the PS4). Haven't had a battery go out yet.

The key part in your post was you can purchase a charge kit. I didn't have to do that with the PS3 and my little brother did.

FWIW I don't think either is a monumentally big deal. But personally I have no desire to deal with rechargeable AA batteries. We use them for my electric toothbrush and I don't even like that part. First world problems and all, but I prefer Sony's "solution."

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
I love never having to think to recharge AA batteries or have a battery pack laying around, plugged in and ready or having to have an extra set laying around.

Low battery? Plug in USB and keep it moving. Since 2013 I've never had a controller battery "die" and need replacing.

Rolodzeo

Nov 10, 2017
Spain, EU
I prefer rechargeable AA batteries because I use them in several devices, and I always have a few already charged and ready to go in case my controller dies, so in less than a minute I have the problem solved and without the need to use a cable to charge the pad. It's a win-win for me.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
The AA batteries add extra weight to the controller. I prefer a lighter controller.

It's one of the main reasons I prefer the Dual Shock 4 to the Xbox One Controller.

Yep.

I think the XB1 controller was a little too heavy. Really interested to see where the new controllers come in at with the changes.

OnionKnight10

Dec 28, 2019
So, basically, I should spend some more money to buy a thing that enables the same functionality on Xbox controller as I have on the PS controller out of the box?
Cool.

The Xbox One Controller not coming with a built-in rechargeable battery sucks, I agree.
Close thread.
The only reason why this discussion still get some fuel is not because the discussion is about "built in batteries vs AA" but because it becomes another Playstation vs Xbox one.

Please don't be dumb. I don't give a shit about PS4 vs XBone. Neither of them are as good as a gaming PC anyway :^P. But Xbox One Controllers having the option of being able to use a standard, rechargeable battery is a massive plus to it in my book.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
You're already buying a shitload of batteries for your controller so what does it matter if anything else in your house uses batteries? Rechargables are cheap. I'm not understanding why you're being so against the idea.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
I have never understood it either tbh. I need AA batteries for various things around the house such as my TV remotes, wireless computer mice, my wireless headset, my multimeter, my flashlights and so many more random things around my house. Using them for my controllers is one more minor thing that has never bothered me.

My PS3 controllers on the otherhand have both needed new battery packs, and are a pain in the ass if I ever forget to charge them after a game session since they (and the PS4 controllers) have a pretty short battery life and I hate having to plug my controller into either a charging dock or the console compared to my Xbox controllers that I can just set down on my coffee table and let them be

Burger Time

Oct 26, 2017
Eneloops or other rechargeable batteries are great but the only downside is how heavy they are. This is more of a problem with computer mice if they allow it but you can also use AAA with adapters.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The average joe won't seek out rechargable batteries or battery packs, so the choice can not be considered advantageous.
The average joe will, on the other hand, always without fail plug in their rechargeable controller after each and every session, just like we always do.
And of course that's why nobody ever talks about any rechargable controller's battery life and longetivity, on reddit or on old gaf or on era or anywhere really.

So, basically, I should spend some more money to buy a thing that enables the same functionality on Xbox controller as I have on the PS controller out of the box?
Cool.
Functionality-wise, they're identical, yes.

Well, except for one thing.

On a full charge, that battery pack (or a solid pair of rechargables) will keep an Xbox One controller going for 30 hours out of the box.
Compared to the DS4's 8-hour out-of-box battery life.

I'm imagining just how many hours I'd have to spend using one of those to bring its longetivity down to where my Dualshock 4 - purchased in 2017 - currently sits. (at a little less than 4 hours on a full charge, I'd estimate - played FFVII R for 4 hours the day it came out and had to plug my DS4 in to keep going by nearly the end of my session.)

I mostly just leave my Xbox controller on my desk, unplugged, when I'm done with it. I charge my batteries like once a week. Of course, YMMV, but I think that's pretty convenient too.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
I have the opposite experience using AA rechargeable batteries. So for me are objectively inferior

What controller and batteries are you using?

I've been using the same rechargeable eneloop batteries since the xbox 360 days, and they last longer per charge, than PS4 controllers purchased this gen. I swap them out once a month whereas ps4 controller must go on the charger daily.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
FWIW I don't think either is a monumentally big deal.

I think this should be the takeaway for OP if they're thinking of 'switching' consoles. Outside of preference and people preferring one or the other, you're gonna be fine. Neither solution is gonna break you. If you have an Xbox controller you're gonna get used to switching out some rechargeable batteries once a month. If you have a DualShock/Sense, you're gonna get used to plugging it in to charge when you're not playing. Neither is a problem and neither will ruin your gaming.

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
I would 100% love if ps3/4/5 controllers had replaceable batteries. I love the box of ps4 controllers either broken or that dont hold a charge or both

Deleted member 46948

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
You're already buying a shitload of batteries for your controller so what does it matter if anything else in your house uses batteries? Rechargables are cheap. I'm not understanding why you're being so against the idea.

I'm not. It's not a great issue, but if the thread asks what is more convenient, I don't understand why people can't accept that not having to worry about batteries, rechargeables or chargers is more convenient.
If one was 100% convenient and the other 99%, there's still a preference.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think this should be the takeaway for OP if they're thinking of 'switching' consoles. Outside of preference and people preferring one or the other, you're gonna be fine. Neither solution is gonna break you. If you have an Xbox controller you're gonna get used to switching out some rechargeable batteries once a month. If you have a DualShock/Sense, you're gonna get used to plugging it in to charge when you're not playing. Neither is a problem and neither will ruin your gaming.

Except it doesn't work like this in VR. You can't just "plug in" HTC Vive controllers, which is why the oculus touch controllers are much superior.

ArcaneFreeze

Oct 27, 2017
There's been many times where I've have my controller run low on battery in the middle of competitive matches and having to replace them mid match means disconnecting your controller for a short time. Recharge battery can be plugged in almost immediately with no disconnection. That is really my only issue with AA.

OnionKnight10

Dec 28, 2019
The average joe won't seek out rechargable batteries or battery packs, so the choice can not be considered advantageous.
The average joe will, on the other hand, always without fail plug in their rechargeable controller after each and every session, just like we always do.
And of course that's why nobody ever talks about any rechargable controller's battery life and longetivity, on reddit or on old gaf or on era or anywhere really.

Functionality-wise, they're identical, yes.

Well, except for one thing.

On a full charge, that battery pack (or a solid pair of rechargables) will keep an Xbox One controller going for 30 hours out of the box.
Compared to the DS4's 8-hour out-of-box battery life.

I'm imagining just how many hours I'd have to spend using one of those to bring its longetivity down to where my Dualshock 4 - purchased in 2017 - currently sits. (at a little less than 4 hours on a full charge.)

That's why Microsoft should do what 8bitdo did and bundle a USB-C-rechargeable battery that can also be replaced with standard AAs in their next controller. Best of both worlds.

Oct 27, 2017
Both methods need to be charged at some point and I much prefer not dealing with wires. Using a headset is already one wire too many, so having to charge a DS4 because the battery is shit just adds another wire that my dog can lay on while I'm deep into a game. I've seen a lot of people say their DS4 charge is fine after a few years and my only thought is "they must not play much". My friends and I have all had our DS4 batteries tank hard within two years.

I'm looking forward to switching back to Xbox and getting myself a set of Eneloop's. The "hassle" of managing rechargeable AA batteries is literally no worse than having to get up and plug the USB cable in, so I have no idea what people are talking about when they speak of the hardship of dealing with AA batteries.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Rechargeables aren't cheap. The charger isn't cheap. I always find more reliable using alkaline (cheaper) batteries than rechargeable on ANY device, last much longer in my experience and are not a lottery. And remotes usually last nite than s year on same alkaline.

OP
OP

TCG276

Dec 17, 2017
How interesting it would be if all smartphones come with AA batteries instead of built-in batteries. There I want to see what would be the reactions to these ridiculous defenses in the XXI century to AA batteries.

Smart phones used to come with user replaceable rechargeable batteries and it was great! Do you enjoy paying Apple to replace the battery in your iPhone when it no longer holds a charge, or are you privileged enough to get a new phone often enough that you have never had to do that?

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
I have a bunch of eneloops and a battery dispenser. It takes maybe 30 seconds to swap batteries out, and I don't have to play with a controller plugged in at all. Yes, it's a bummer that people who want to just plug in their controllers to charge them have to pay extra for a charger kit on Xbox consoles, but I'd rather have the choice to do that than to be stuck with an internal battery. I have 2-3 dozen eneloops. Those will outlast any internal battery by a longshot.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Same as Xbox . Best of both worlds
xbox-elite-play-charge-battery.jpg

Microsoft just stop being stingy and include one with the console or something

That's basically it. They just need to include the Play & Charge kit for free, else they're just being cheap and nickel & diming people, and also unnecessarily making us spend more.

RRP on XO pad - £49.99
RRP on Play and Charge Kit - £16.99
Total: £66.98

RRP on DS4 - £49.99
Total: £49.99

Lest we forget the XO pad also doesn't have gryo, a touch pad, the light bar (for use with a camera) or an internal speaker, though it does have rumble triggers which the DS4 doesn't. Add in the P&C kit and with the Xbox One pad you're essentially paying more for less.

If Microsoft were to throw in the Play and Charge Kit for free, nobody would complain and all would be happy, those who prefer internal batteries, as well as those who prefer to use rechargeable.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They included AA batteries with 360, no play and charge kit, those were always accessories.
Outside of a couple of special edition pads (I had a red Gears of war pad that came with a matching battery

Perhaps it was a bundle with some store then, because I never bought a rechargable pack, ever, yet I have one that matches the black controller that came with my 2nd Xbox 360, the one I got with Kinect.

Werd

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I've seen the light on buying high quality rechargeables. Quickly swapping batteries from one dedicated charger beats needing every device in the house having to cycle through being plugged in a half dozen cords once you actually get solid battery life from top of the line AAs. Just too many wires, charger stands, etc. had built up once everything switched to wireless... wish more of my stuff could use AA/AAA though obviously not practical for everything, not like I want my iPad running on them.

I'd imagine we are working towards much more flexible wireless charging in the not too distant future though.

Last edited:

Biteren

Oct 29, 2017
in the xbox 360 c0ntroller those back things you put batteries in would eventually get loose making for some bad times, but the Xbox one pad gots it ironed out

then again its been a good while since i had to bust out batteries for controllers

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
My PS4 controller battery last 8h at full charge. It is absolute bollocks taht i have to either open it or use it as a wired.
My xbox 360 controller still has full charge (probably around 40h of play time, maybe more) since i use rechargeable batteries that i can easily switch.
How interesting it would be if all smartphones come with AA batteries instead of built-in batteries. There I want to see what would be the reactions to these ridiculous defenses in the XXI century to AA batteries.
I wish phones could change the batteries. It very stupid that i have to buy a new phone every 4-5 years because the batteries can't hold the charge for the whole day.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Fine, you're right, out of all of those, I do have a TV remote that uses AA batteries, I stand corrected. I think I had to replace them exactly once, a couple of years ago.
That justifies the charger, I see the light now.
You may want to be obtuse to the point, but akaline batteries are prone to bursting and acid corrosion. Replacing those wholesale is smart regardless because when those things die next time, you can replace them with something that won't die again in a few years.

Smoke detector batteries tend to die more frequently, and if you're going to be consistently replacing those lest you want to die, makes sense to buy rechargeable ones to save you money over time.

If you play video games extensively, it makes more sense to not have to tether yourself to a controller in order to keep playing when the controller dies when swapping in a fresh pack or a fresh pair takes 10 seconds and you can charge your other batteries, and you don't have to deal with the whole "my controller won't charge, but I have a screwdriver, let me buy a replacement battery off of ebay and Amazon" only for it to arrive at your home and be a pack of shit because the battery is actually 500mah instead of the 1500 because you have a counterfeit. And if you don't feel like researching which battery to get, you're just going to chuck the controller, the old battery, and probably the fake one in the trash and buy a new controller; that's far more wasteful.

And just because you have some seemingly niche electronics lifestyle where nothing but a single remote needs batteries and are more than capable of subsisting off of a single micro-b cable doesn't mean it's the superior solution.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not. It's not a great issue, but if the thread asks what is more convenient, I don't understand why people can't accept that not having to worry about batteries, rechargeables or chargers is more convenient.
If one was 100% convenient and the other 99%, there's still a preference.
Because you're just replacing one worry with another, that being that you need to remember to plug in your controller to charge it all the time. I don't have a set start and end point when I'm gaming and often I'll get interrupted in the middle of playing and don't end up coming back, so my controller doesn't get plugged in, when I need it, it's dead. Not to mention my DS4 has horrible battery life, it's constantly dying on me. So I either have to stop playing or play with it plugged in. There is NO other option and that is certainly not convenient.

Meanwhile my Eneloops generally last me for about 2-3 weeks of average gaming and if my controller dies it literally takes 15 seconds to swap out the batteries sitting the charger and I'm back playing. To me that is FAR more convenient.

Oct 28, 2019
OP's framing of this whole thread really doesn't help it. You really don't understand the "logic" behind people liking built in rechargeable over having to buy batteries? Of course you do, stop BSing.

lmao you got all that from their post? Ironic that literally all the poster commented on was the hostility in this thread and your post is needlessly hostile addressing points the poster hadn't even said

cgpartlow

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
I much prefer AA because I already have a bunch of Eneloops and if the batteries go dead I can just swap them instead of being tethered to a cable. Also if the batteries lose charge you can get new ones instead of swapping a controller or buying a new internal battery.