• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jayembi

Jun 19, 2019
AA batteries are not the only type of replaceable batteries. Smart phones should

I guess I never had a problem changing the batteries even though they are "screwed". It just seems ridiculous to say that one AA battery is "friendly" and the others are not. I also agree that they "should" be easily replaceable.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
I'll take rechargeable AAs any day over built in ones that wear out.

All of my Sony controllers from the PS3 to the PS4 have had terrible battery life after a year of consistent use.

Oct 25, 2017
I prefer built in batteries, but only if they're decent. DS4 charge times are a joke. Even after so many years, my DS3 batteries hold for many times longer. I just wish they still made DS3s so I could buy a new one, my buttons and sticks aren't great anymore.

Hopefully the PS5 controller will be better.

OP
OP

TCG276

Dec 17, 2017
Buying some solid rechargeable AA batteries and not the Akaline ones are no worse for the environment than the battery packs slapped inside of Sony controllers. Both are lithium-ion. The only difference between the two is that for Sony and Nintendo, you need a screwdriver to replace the battery when it finally goes out.

And if you buy an aftermarket battery, you have to remember the swap the wires around before slotting it back in, lest you fry your controller. And you have to make sure that the controller shell has enough space for the battery you're putting in. And the worry about buying the ones in the plastic enclosures since those tend to be knockoffs of lesser quality, so you can't go buy "replacement Playstation/Switch controller battery" and be good.

But all of that is digression. In the grand scheme, the Play/Charge packs that Microsoft puts out are just lithium-ion AA batteries in a plastic shell. AA lithium-ion batteries are no worse for the planet than other brands.

Stop buying shitty cheap AA or AAA batteries from the grocery store and start buying rechargeables.

I see the environmental argument far too much and completely agree with what you said.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Yep you can use AA batteries.

IMG-20200509-182804-resize-97.jpg
IMG-20200509-182921-resize-38.jpg

I don't use batteries but I like have the option when the interna battery dies.

This is fantastic and the best of both worlds. This should be standard, no exceptions.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
I'd happily trade water proofing, size, and weight reductions for removable batteries on my electronics again. Whatever I have to give up so I never have to take a wedge around the edges of phones or laptops again trying not to break plastic tabs. Controllers aren't so bad except for the ribbon cables and trigger springs. Screws are easy to strip too.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
The equivalent would be things like the Oculus Touch controllers which use AA batteries.

This isn't "Xbox vs playstation" this is "rechargable batteries vs standardized batteries" hth

Fine. My Dualshocks4 hold charge just fine after 6 years, and my Move controllers after two years.

Meanwhile, I've bought a shit load of AA batteries for my Xbox One controllers. I'll let you do your own math on what is more convenient.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fine. My Dualshocks4 hold charge just fine after 6 years, and my Move controllers after two years.

Meanwhile, I've bought a shit load of AA batteries for my Xbox One controllers. I'll let you do your own math on what is more convenient.

Sounds like a "you" problem. You should buy rechargable AAs instead.

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
I prefer a built in battery simply because of the price and convenience, don't have to go shop to buy new batteries when they die/ran out, I had an xbox one for a brief period and after a few months I realised I was buying batteries almost every week or so, so I just stuck to wired for the rest of the time I had it.

With built in it is true the charge does dies down, but my PS4 controllers after almost 5 years can still hold like a couple hours of charge, I just plug in and play for half hour if need and it's back to full. No need to buy or replace anything, I buy the controller and that's it, if I'm getting multiple controllers like I do every gen for local co-op then it's more money spent that I don't need to with a built in battery.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
I prefer built in batteries, but only if they're decent. DS4 charge times are a joke. Even after so many years, my DS3 batteries hold for many times longer. I just wish they still made DS3s so I could buy a new one, my buttons and sticks aren't great anymore.

Hopefully the PS5 controller will be better.

How can you be for built in knowing this? Wouldn't it be easier to just be able to buy your own and not hope for someone else to make that decision for you?

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
I just have the charge kit for my Xbox controller and its now basically a built in battery. I had to spend so much more buying that charge kit though.

I never had any battery problems with my DS4 so having a charge kit is basically the same.

Now I have wireless keyboards and mouse that needs batteries, it's such a damn hassle I have to get batteries every few months. Sure I can get rechargeable batteries (not even sure if that is easily available where I am) but if I had to just plug in these peripherals each time they're drained would make me worry about it less.

Snowfruit

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 8, 2018
United States
I've had the same PS4 controller from launch and it still charges just fine. Is this another case of people not taking care of their controllers again?

I remember a thread about people having their DS4s die on them or the rubber peeling off while I've had none of that.

Had an Xbox 360 last gen, batteries were just annoying and inconvenient.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
My original DS no longer holds a charge and I need to get the battery replaced. Not THAT big of a deal, but still a hassle and maybe will be more hassle next time it happens.

Meanwhile, my Game Boy from the 90s still works great on rechargeable AAs.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
I've never had to replace a controller for that reason, so it just isn't something that occurs to me.

On the other hand, having to worry about batteries over just plugging in when I'm done is annoying.
Exactly. I've never have had to replace a controller because the battery died, and no one i know has had such a problem.
however the cost of a charger and rechargeable batteries which usually don't last much, was a bad experience using my 360 and Wii.
The better solution would be rechargeable battery that can be swapped by an adapter that can use AA batteries, that could be sold separately. Not the other way round.
It is so convenient to my controller to the console and next session is 100% again

I see this more of a problem on portable consoles, like vita or switch, since it is more probable that you reach the cicles that a battery can be recharged much sooner than with a standard controller

Last edited:

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Convenience, value proposition, modernisation.

The funny thing is, internal lithium ion batteries can actually be replaced at roughly the same price as a set of Eneloops, and can be done so in a matter of minutes, so the whole if my battery dies my controller dies thing is not and has not ever been true.

I think the early revision DS4's gave internal batteries a bit of a bad rep because they had such poor battery life, but you can get internal batteries that have excellent battery life too, see Switch Pro, Xbox Elite controller etc. Hell, the second gen DS4 isn't too bad either.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
The best solution would be for all controllers to use the standard AA battery interface (as the Xbox controllers do), but come standard with rechargeable battery packs a la Microsoft's Play-and-Charge Kit.

This way, once the battery degrades and doesn't hold its charge well anymore, you can easily swap in a new rechargeable battery pack without having to buy a new controller or take the whole thing apart.

This freedom of choice is why Microsoft's decision to stick with the standard AA battery interface for the next-gen Xbox controller is the right one. Unlike with Sony controllers, which force you to use their crappy internal batteries, Microsoft gives you the choice of either using AA batteries, their own rechargeable battery pack they sell, or any of the cheap and widely available rechargeable AA batteries you can find on Amazon.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You should stop telling me what I should do, friendo.
And yup, I'm sure buying a charger for power cells literally no other device in my household uses is super convenient and the galaxy brain solution.

51dSBvGXumL._AC_SX425_.jpg

These are

A) Less than "shit loads" of batteries on amazon

B) fit into the AA battery slot on the controller

C) charge via the Xbox controller's USB port, the exact same port you are using to charge your PS4 controllers with

I mean, you just told me you are spending "shit loads" on AA batteries for your controller, but when I tell you how to spend your money smarter, you're all "Don't tell me what to do"

keep wasting your money then, I guess.

Flame Lord

Oct 26, 2017
I don't either; I wanted to play my 360 a few months back and all I needed to do was pop in my Eneloops I use for my Xbox One controller and I was good to go. Meanwhile I had to replace my DS3, and my DS4's battery is holding less and less of a charge. Sure I can order the tool needed to open it as well as a compatible battery, but surely you can understand how much more of a process that is than popping in some fucking AA's and being done with it.

OnionKnight10

Dec 28, 2019

The only reason I can think of for you buying shit loads of AA batteries would be if you aren't aware of the existence of rechargeable AAs. Eneloops are branded to hold 70% charge after 10 years and even if you think that's a very optimistic projection, that would still equate to having to replace a pair after a couple of years, certainly nowhere close to a shit load.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
And yup, I'm sure buying a charger for power cells literally no other device in my household uses is super convenient and the galaxy brain solution.
Nothing in your house uses these?

s-l300.jpg

Or these?

811e%2Bf73sXL._AC_SY450_.jpg

Nothing you own would benefit from being able to be topped up by one of these?

83697_1000x1000.jpg

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
51dSBvGXumL._AC_SX425_.jpg

These are

A) Less than "hundreds of batteries" on amazon

B) fit into the AA battery slot on the controller

C) charge via the Xbox controller's USB port, the exact same port you are using to charge your PS4 controllers with

I mean, you just told me you are spending "shit loads" on AA batteries for your controller, but when I tell you how to spend your money smarter, you're all "Don't tell me what to do"

keep wasting your money then, I guess.

So, basically, I should spend some more money to buy a thing that enables the same functionality on Xbox controller as I have on the PS controller out of the box?
Cool.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Just plug it to the USB port. No need to stop playing. Get a really long USB cord if needed. I'd rather connect the controller to the USB port for half an hour (seriously, they re-charge super quick) that finding out that I just drained my last set of batteries and have to stop playing.

Plug an Xbox controller in to the console with a USB cable and it just acts like a wired controller. It literally shuts down the radio transmitter in it and it connects through the wire so it's a perfectly latency free wired controller. You don't need to stop playing when your AA batteries run out, just like with a DualShock. You can take the batteries out and still use it just fine wired in.

OP, you don't have to stress either way. There are obviously pros and cons of both rechargeable and non rechargeable controllers but you don't need to worry about the battery dying in a hurry and having to replace it or anything. I've had three DualShock 4s and haven't had any battery issues with any of them that have required messing with replacements. The battery life is super short, but apparently they've looked into that with the DualSense controller so it should be improved on your PS5.

AM_LIGHT

Oct 30, 2017
Until I got my X i always made fun of Xbox for using replaceable batteries. But after buying a couple of high capacity rechargeable AA batteries , I now firmly believe that it's superior to built in batteries. It lasts much longer than the DS4 and when they run out I just pop in the other pair and I am good to go.

Deleted member 67920

alt account
Banned
May 1, 2020
I think having the option to use AA or a charger kit is super to not having any choices.

Either way, it's not a big deal to me.

Feb 10, 2018
Its a little bit easier to plug in a usb cable then to replace batteries.

Right now I prefer batteries because they last longer and you can be wireless all the time. I have a cheap Amazon basics charger + 8 eneloops next to my couch, it works great.

If the dualsense has a 2000mah battery (double the ds4) and usbc fast charging in 20mins, that will be ideal.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
How interesting it would be if all smartphones come with AA batteries instead of built-in batteries. There I want to see what would be the reactions to these ridiculous defenses in the XXI century to AA batteries.

Close thread.
The only reason why this discussion still get some fuel is not because the discussion is about "built in batteries vs AA" but because it becomes another Playstation vs Xbox one.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Because its not superior.

There are pros and cons of both. I prefer the AA way because of rechargeable batteries.

My rechargeable batteries have more capacity than the DS4. 1000 mAh vs 2300, it's no contest. Is that still the size for the DS4? Not sure now.

But...my DS4 is more durable because the back doesn't come off.

Pros n cons of each.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017

I mean, if you're claiming that you've bought a shit load of batteries for your Xbox controllers then it's totally on you for wasting money and not getting rechargables. I've had the same 6 batteries for many years that I swap out between various devices.

OnionKnight10

Dec 28, 2019
I'll cross that bridge if I get to it. I've never had a controller die like me on that before but if it happens I guess I'll buy a new one, I don't care that much. The convenience still outweighs any "anxiety about battery degradation" for me.

So like I said, most people don't give a shit about device longevity, which isn't that big a deal for a less than $50-60 console controller but is a big fucking deal for thousand-dollar-plus smartphones and laptops and couple-hundred-dollar Airpods. But that's not the point of this thread.

Chille

Jan 7, 2018
I am happy with having batteries built in rather then constantly buying AA batteries

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I don't like the Xbone controller as such, but Eneloops give it a battery life of around 3-4 months on a few hours charge, you can still play via USB while they're charging in a separate charger, and you don't need the console switched on to charge them. It's wonderful.
compared with the DS4 and its 5 hour battery life/2-3 hour charge.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Until I got my X i always made fun of Xbox for using replaceable batteries. But after buying a couple of high capacity rechargeable AA batteries , I now firmly believe that it's superior to built in batteries. It lasts much longer than the DS4 and when they run out I just pop in the other pair and I am good to go.

While I do largely agree with this (I'd take my Eneloops over the battery life of my DualShocks any day of the week), the big where it breaks down for me is how long the rechargeable batteries in my Switch Pro controller and my Elite v2 last. They're CRAZY GOOD. So it seems the issue isn't with rechargeable batteries, but with the same battery that's in the DualShock.