• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

OnionKnight10

Dec 28, 2019
It's a baffling majority position for sure and I can only guess it's because most people just don't give a shit if their electronics last or not. And this applies to smartphones, laptops, wireless earbuds and so on.
I just think it's way more convenient.

Is it really convenient when your DualShock 4, Apple Airpods or iPhone no longer holds sufficient charge, as all battery-operated electronics inevitably will, and you either have to pry the thing open with specialized tools (not hard with a DS4 thankfully, but not so trivial with my Galaxy Note 5) or resign to getting rid of the device and getting a new one? Meanwhile, with my Xbox One Controller that I use for my PC, I simply purchase an Eneloops 1900 mAh 4-pack and charger for less than 40 Canadian dollars and each pair of batteries last for so long I don't even bother tracking it and when the time comes to replace the batteries, I simply reach into my charger with two freshly charged batteries. The whole process of replacing batteries takes literally less than a minute, for something I do less than once a month, if that. To me, not only is that far more convenient, it completely erases any anxiety I have about battery degradation.

Dec 15, 2017
I bought a set of 4 rechargeable batteries and I have been doing just fine with the xbox 360 controller for the last 7 years. I think both options are great. Having rechargeable batteries is not the inconvenience most folks make it to be.

Lego

Nov 14, 2017
I'm definitely on team AAs. My rechargeables last so much longer in my Xbox controller than the PS4 controller does.

But that might be another problem all together.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
With the PS controller you don't have that choice, and when the built in battery starts to no longer hold a charge, you have to either buy a new controller or DIY replace it.

In theory, yes. In practice, this has never happened with either of my launch ps4 controllers, and I play wireless 100% of the time, they're only on the wire when the console is off/in sleep mode.

I definitely prefer ps4 built in battery to the (minor, but still extant) hassle of having to buy/replace/charge AA batteries.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Controllers accepting AA's while using rechargeable AA's is the best case scenario.

Rechargeable internal batteries give the controller a finite lifespan and in theory would fail before any other component would.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
For people saying it's more convenient, it's definitely convenient needing to drive to the store to buy a whole new DS4 every time I go to play my PS4, because I only use the system once or twice a year and my DS4s consistently fail to hold a charge whenever I inevitably try to boot the damn thing.

Eneloops are great, but I think there is an even better solution: Controllers that come with replaceable, rechargeable batteries. This is a revolutionary idea, I kno- wait, what do you mean this is a technology that has existed for nearly two decades now that we have moved away from for literally no reason?

Oct 25, 2017
I just plug my controller in when it's out of batteries. When next gen finally gives us non-dogshit USB ports on the controller there will be even less reason to care about built-in vs AA.

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
In theory, yes. In practice, this has never happened with either of my launch ps4 controllers, and I play wireless 100% of the time, they're only on the wire when the console is off/in sleep mode.

I definitely prefer ps4 built in battery to the (minor, but still extant) hassle of having to buy/replace/charge AA batteries.
My 10 year old ps3 controller holds charge just fine too.

OP
OP

TCG276

Dec 17, 2017
AA batteries are way more harmful to the environment than internal batteries simply because you buy lots of them and have to discard lots of them over the course of years. With internal batteries you discard them on a span of 2 to more years depending on the product. Let's not even enter in the realm of design, since AA batteries suck for product design. So, yeah, there's no reason for using AA batteries nowadays.

How often do you believe that modern AA rechargeable batteries need to be replaced? I've had sets that have lasted me 2 years easily.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
It's a baffling majority position for sure and I can only guess it's because most people just don't give a shit if their electronics last or not. And this applies to smartphones, laptops, wireless earbuds and so on.

Is it really convenient when your DualShock 4, Apple Airpods or iPhone no longer holds sufficient charge, as all battery-operated electronics inevitably will, and you either have to pry the thing open with specialized tools (not hard with a DS4 thankfully, but not so trivial with my Galaxy Note 5) or resign to getting rid of the device and getting a new one? Meanwhile, with my Xbox One Controller that I use for my PC, I simply purchase an Eneloops 1900 mAh 4-pack and charger for less than 40 Canadian dollars and each pair of batteries last for so long I don't even bother tracking it and when the time comes to replace the batteries, I simply reach into my charger with two freshly charged batteries. The whole process of replacing batteries takes literally less than a minute, for something I do less than once a month, if that. To me, not only is that far more convenient, it completely erases any anxiety I have about battery degradation.

This. I just pop em in and boom I have a fully charged controller that lasts for dozens of hours. And I know I will always be able to easily get AAs in the future.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Playstation Moves are notorious for their batteries no longer holding a charge.

SuiQuan

Oct 25, 2017
Kazakhstan - soon
It has its pros and cons. I can have many rechargeable batteries charged and ready to go, never having to worry about not having enough left. But at the same time, taking them out, putting them into a separate charger, plugging it in, then do all of this in reverse is a bit of a hassle. Also, you need to buy the batteries and the charger...

On PS4 I have two gamepads. And while one is charging, I'm using the other one. It's a very quick and easy swap, but... it does require two controllers. Using one was a pain, because the battery life was bad and I had to use a cord far too many times.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My point is that many people argue that not having a built in battery is essentially laughable behind the times and I don't really get it. To me the choice of using batteries or a charge kit makes it a more consumer friendly option.
Not adding extra cost is the consumer friendly option.

Deleted member 54073

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
I've never had to replace a controller due to the battery.

I'd hate having to buy AA batteries for them.

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
Honestly, it doesn't bother me either since I'm always having to charge the PS4 controller way more often as opposed to the rarer occurrence of swapping out batteries on the Xbox controller. Back in the day, I had to swap out six AA batteries out of the Game Gear every 20 minutes if I wasn't plugged into the wall with an AC adapter. Now that was bad!

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
Ive never had a problem with having to replace the battery of the WiiU pro controller or the Switch pro controller, and as everyone knows it holds way more battery than the ps4 controller, so idk why i would even consider using aa batteries.

Flambe

Faster than Light
Oct 25, 2017
Plug low battery controller in, turn on one of many extra controllers, play? It's not like either option is inconvenient

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
How often do you believe that modern AA rechargeable batteries need to be replaced? I've had sets that have lasted me 2 years easily.

I have some 10+ year old AAs that are still holding a decent charge (~1600mah). Though I think that's to be expected, as those with a slightly lower capacity tend to survive quite a few more charging cycles.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
M
Like I said: most people won't buy rechargable batteries.

Xbox "rechargeable battery packs" are literally just AA rechargeables in a plastic case:

za9FF5q.jpg

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
I've been on PlayStation for the last two gens now and have never had a controller loose charge enough that I needed to buy a new one.....and I game a lot.
Putting batteries in a controller isn't a huge deal but it does feel archaic as fuck to me in 2020.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
OP's smartphone is stil on batteries aswell

Well I for one hate that I can't replace my battery in my phone any more. I had a Samsung Focus, and carried 2 or 3 fully charged batteries with me. Just swap em when one got low easy peasy. Nowadays everyones got these external battery packs which are nice because they're universal but now you got cables and such to deal alonside the pack. Wish phones had gone the way of universal standard replaceable battery sizes.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
Convenience plus weight & bulk.

I've never had to replace a battery in a device that has one built in and even then a couple of screws then unplugging a battery and plugging the replacement in its hardly rocket science batteries are pretty standardised these days.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
No one wants to deal with the hassle of AAs. I used them for my Wii remotes back in the day and would have given anything to be able to just plug them in to charge them

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
If the AA form factor didn't suck so much it wouldn't be a problem. They are too large for how little power they provide. Changing internal batteries in controllers is trivial and no where near the difficulty of a modern smartphone. So you end up only really needing to change them every few years.

jml

Mar 9, 2018

I'll cross that bridge if I get to it. I've never had a controller die like me on that before but if it happens I guess I'll buy a new one, I don't care that much. The convenience still outweighs any "anxiety about battery degradation" for me.

Ouroboros

Oct 27, 2017
United States
When you are done playing you can plug in the controller to recharge and be at 100% the next tome you pick it up. Can't do that with AA unless it's rechargeable but then you gotta take them out yadda yadda

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Lmao, having to buy AA batteries suck. And it's way more harmful to the environment.
Buying some solid rechargeable AA batteries and not the Akaline ones are no worse for the environment than the battery packs slapped inside of Sony controllers. Both are lithium-ion. The only difference between the two is that for Sony and Nintendo, you need a screwdriver to replace the battery when it finally goes out.

And if you buy an aftermarket battery, you have to remember the swap the wires around before slotting it back in, lest you fry your controller. And you have to make sure that the controller shell has enough space for the battery you're putting in. And the worry about buying the ones in the plastic enclosures since those tend to be knockoffs of lesser quality, so you can't go buy "replacement Playstation/Switch controller battery" and be good.

But all of that is digression. In the grand scheme, the Play/Charge packs that Microsoft puts out are just lithium-ion AA batteries in a plastic shell. AA lithium-ion batteries are no worse for the planet than other brands.

Stop buying shitty cheap AA or AAA batteries from the grocery store and start buying rechargeables.

OP
OP

TCG276

Dec 17, 2017
I guess a good question that I would like answered is how many of you have replaced the battery in your PS4 controller, or bought a new controller, because it no longer holds a charge? If the majority of you haven't, then I'm surprised, and I will be more optimistic about the built in battery in the DS5 lasting much longer than I imagined it will.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mmm, what would the equivalent of PS Move controller be on Xbox? And does it have replaceable batteries? If not, don't move goalposts, thanks.

The equivalent would be things like the Oculus Touch controllers which use AA batteries.

This isn't "Xbox vs playstation" this is "rechargable batteries vs standardized batteries" hth

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I think both options are fine, the issue I've always had with Playstation pads is how when they do degrade, which they all do, because that battery is so pathetically small in the first place, losing 20+% of capacity really hammers it's usefulness.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
I don't want to have to get new batteries and replace them. A controller that has a built in battery is way less maintenance. Although it works best if you have two controllers. One charging while you use the other.