• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Apr 21, 2018
The thread says it all.

Cancel Culture isn't real. It's just people being fired for saying or doing stupid things. They aren't "cancelled", they are simply fired from their jobs. People have been getting fired for awhile, for all sorts of reasons.

Actors may do something or say something so stupid/offensive it gets them fired, and subsequently not hired by anyone else. Because people don't want to see them in movies/shows anymore. This is not new. This is not new at all. Sure, some people got away with more back before their stupid/offensive words were able to be recorded, but it's still nothing new. There is no culture around it. People do stupid = people get fired.

Let's stop giving this term any credence or legitimacy. It's some weird conservative term out of desperation as they realize their bigotry is not tolerated. Let's stop acting like it's new, a movement, a culture, or even defined at all. It's just normal. People getting fired for being stupid/offensive is normal. As it should be.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
images

astro

Oct 25, 2017
The term cancel culture was invented by those who fear being held accountable.

If anyone here disagrees, show us people who actually got cancelled. We'll go case by case.

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
im starting to see more people say this in response to complaints about it, which is good cause yeah its not real

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
"Cancel culture" doesn't refer to the people getting fired. It refers to people who spend their days scouring others' social media posts with a particular mission. You may like it or you may not, but yes, it does exist - it's the one activity that gives always-online people the illusion of control over the world around them.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
It's more like cancel sub culture. It definitely exists but on a much smaller scale than the vocal critics whine about.

CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018
I despise the term "cancelled / cancel culture". Whenever I see a poster here saying something along the lines of " ___ cancelled when??", I just roll my eyes. It's such a cringey term

OP
OP
Apr 21, 2018
"Cancel culture" doesn't refer to the people getting fired. It refers to people who spend their days scouring others' social media posts with a particular mission. You may like it or you may not, but yes, it does exist.

The use of "cancel culture" that I often hear about is not that. People scouring over social media should have a different name.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Whether or not you wanna call it cancel culture, people using the Internet to boycott people and businesses against their values are ultimately a symptom of the reality that sociopolitical power dynamics help perpetuate unfair outcomes in terms of behavior from privileged groups.

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
"Cancel culture" doesn't refer to the people getting fired. It refers to people who spend their days scouring others' social media posts with a particular mission. You may like it or you may not, but yes, it does exist - it's the one activity that gives always-online people the illusion of control over the world around them.

Are you referring to what happened to James Gunn in 2018?

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
"Cancel culture" doesn't refer to the people getting fired. It refers to people who spend their days scouring others' social media posts with a particular mission. You may like it or you may not, but yes, it does exist.
Yeah this has always been my take on it.

I don't think it's a negative phrase either, the vast majority of 'cancelled' people deserve it. But you can see in pretty much thread on here when someone does something wrong, it's "how can we get them fired?". To me that's cancel culture. People realized they can weaponize transgressions against people rather than just letting everything slide, which again, by and large is a good thing although obviously some people do it with ill intents (see Republicans attempting to take down left wing celebrities). But this whole "how can we take down X who we don't like" approach has definitely grown in the past few years, from all political aisles.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I think it's hard to deny that this has become more common.

Oct 25, 2017

I don't think it's a negative phrase either, the vast majority of 'cancelled' people deserve it. But you can see in pretty much thread on here when someone does something wrong, it's "how can we get them fired?". To me that's cancel culture. People realized they can weaponize transgressions against people rather than just letting everything slide, which again, by and large is a good thing although obviously some people do it with ill intents (see Republicans attempting to take down left wing celebrities). But this whole "how can we take down X who we don't like" approach has definitely grown in the past few years, from all political aisles.
Pretty much how I feel about it, there's definitely a subset of people who enjoy or perhaps need to do this

Melville85

Banned
Nov 15, 2020
I've always preferred ignoring people that offend me. I wish more people could learn to do that.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
There is no "cancel culture".

There is social media, that amplifies the good and the bad. The term "cancel culture" is a term explicitly used to push back against accountability.

The "subset of people" who might do the things described above are NOT what this term refers to. It PRETENDS to be aimed at them, making them out to be larger and more in control than they are, but in reality it is a weaponized term used to shield people from ANY accountability.

People getting together and taking shit to far has been around FOREVER, it is amplified now when it happens but it is nothing new. And it does not happen anywhere nearly as much as the term is thrown around.

Y'all are kidding yourselves if you believe otherwise.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The term is relatively new but the idea (facing the consequences of your actions) has existed forever. People just use the term "cancel culture" to make it sound bad.

It amazes me that conservatives think this is something new when all we heard as kids from our parents or teachers is to watch what you do in public or post online because it could be reflective on you, your family, school, etc. It's nothing new.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Are you referring to what happened to James Gunn in 2018?
I'm not talking about any particular cases.

I'm referring to the impulse - the "culture" - that some people have to browse through social media in search of damning evidence to get back at someone. That happens constantly, whether the person targeted "deserves it" or not.

If you wanna get into particular cases, though - that whole thing with the obnoxious guy who wouldn't teach his daughter how to open a can or whatever it was. What happened is that he annoyed people, who then proceeded to prod through his old posts in search of shit to bring up to the rest of Twitter. Had the culture not existed, people would've simply laughed at the guy and moved on with their lives. That's not what happened.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
a corporation making a value judgement should not be equated to a group making their voices heard because no matter the outcome the corporation comes out of it with more power than they previously had.

astro

Oct 25, 2017

It's the wrong take, some of you really have fallen fro the grift.

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
Regarding the verb "cancel"

Why does the word sound so pompous, like if someone with a huge ego had termed it?

If some student says the n-word and gets expelled, they aren't cancelled. But if they are popular, then they are cancelled.

The word just screams "I'm famous and I am entitled to stay that way!". I hope I'm not the only one who thinks this.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not talking about any particular cases.

I'm referring to the impulse - the "culture" - that some people have to browse through social media in search of damning evidence to get back at someone. That happens constantly, whether the person targeted "deserves it" or not.
This does not happen anywhere nearly as much as the term is used.

The term is used now, in the vast majority of cases, as a shield against any rightful criticism.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
You'd have thought people here would get the hint after the amount of times Trump & co leaned on it but no, must defend bigoted comedians at all costs.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
You'd have thought people here would get the hint after the amount of times Trump & co leaned on it but no, must defend bigoted comedians at all costs.
People ITT right now falling for it. Honestly surprised how often people do.

No, it's the take I've definied for myself after observing the cultural shift over the last few years. I don't particularly engage in anyone discussing their views on cancel culture outside of well, this thread.
Yes, it is, as explained above.

If you believe that, the ones who weaponized the term did their job.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
This does not happen anywhere nearly as much as the term is used.

The term is used now, in the vast majority of cases, as a shield against any rightful criticism.
You're absolutely wrong. Yes, you have famous people who ended up facing the consequences of their actions blaming it on "cancel culture" like some Scooby-Doo villain mad that they got caught, and that's stupid.

But the culture - the custom, the tendency, call it what you want - is there, and it is a weird phenomenon on social media that affects even non-famous people.

It's incredibly common to see on Twitter - someone says something stupid in the replies, and someone else goes into their profile to bring up old, unrelated tweets that paint them in a bad light. It's all about those little moments of "AHA! See! You do suck as I thought you did because you said something I disagreed with!"

It doesn't even necessarily results in people getting fired or any actual consequence - it's mostly just about "sticking it to them."

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Yes, it is, as explained above.

If you believe that, the ones who weaponized the term did their job.
You've doing a poor job explaining it.

Are you trying to say there hasn't been a significant uptick on people using the internet and transgressions against others? Because you're horribly out of touch if you think that isn't the case. Again, I'm not saying it's bad, largely the opposite. To me that's what the 'culture' is, so to speak.

LaoJim

Mar 29, 2020
I think, whether or not 'cancel culture' is the best way to describe it, the Internet, social media generally and Twitter specifically have radically changed how celebrities and 'ordinary' people interact together.

Take someone like Kirstie Alley a few months back who had a storm blow up over pro-Trump tweets. Back in the 80s when she was on Cheers, I personally would have had no idea what her personal politics were.My knowledge of her revolved around the role she was playing and, possibly if I saw her on a chat show, 9 times out of 10 they wouldn't have been discussing politics anyway. And if by chance, she did say something which I found offensive, there wouldn't be that much I could about it personally anyway except stop watching her shows. I could tell my friends, but they probably wouldn't have have seen the same interview as me anyway. There was also probably less of a idea that the celebrities in the media you consume needed to have similar political views to yourself anyway. To get into serious trouble in those days, you needed to turn up to a television interview completely drunk and incoherent or say something completely abhorrent.

So the phenomena of 'celerity tweets something dumb, Internet rises up, celebrity gets fired (or not)' is clearly a new thing and probably needs a name and to someone as old as me seems new and alarming - though I don't know why stars don't follow 'never say anything political unless you're Bob Dylan' rule.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
You're absolutely wrong. Yes, you have famous people who ended up facing the consequences of their actions blaming it on "cancel culture" like some Scooby-Doo villain mad that they got caught, and that's stupid.

But the culture - the custom, the tendency, call it what you want - is there, and it is a weird phenomenon on social media that affects even non-famous people.

It's incredibly common to see on Twitter - someone says something stupid in the replies, and someone else goes into their profile to bring up old, unrelated tweets that paint them in a bad light. It's all about those little moments of "AHA! See! You do suck as I thought you did because you said something I disagreed with!"

It doesn't even necessarily results in people getting fired or any actual consequence - it's mostly just about "sticking it to them."
Yep

astro

Oct 25, 2017

But the culture - the impulse, the tendency, call it what you want - is there, and it is a weird phenomenon on social media that affects even non-famous people.

how me the power these people you speak of actually have? Show me people who have actually been canceled.

There might be uproar online often, bit it often appears far louder than it actually is. There might be a lot of noise, but it doesn't lead to cancellation anywhere nearly enough to justify the term existing..

It is literally a weaponized term to shield from accountability.

You are amplifying the voices of the people running the grift, you are helping them push their lie..

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force

Pretty much. How people can't see this is beyond me.

Like it's happening from everyone, it's funny that right wing people are complaining about it while simultaneously doing it themselves.

how me the power these people you speak of actually have? Show me people who have actually been canceled.
Calling it cancel culture means people want to cancel others, it doesn't mean they're actually being canceled.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the first step towards changing people's minds is often and unfortunately getting those people to like you.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Cancel culture? You mean that thing that country listeners did in response to the [Dixie] Chicks being critical of W, or the response against Kaepernick kneeling from football watchers, or the thing 2nd Amendmenters pretended to boycott Dick's over for stopping the sale of assault rifles?

I agree, by the way, I just like to point out the massive stupidity of those throwing the term around (we know who) without acknowledging that concentrated outrage against a person, group, company etc is hardly a left or right issue but the far more obvious consequence of whoever is being "cancelled" being met with the consequences of their actions by an opposing group.

(And there's soooo many more great examples)

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
It's becoming increasingly clear that you're reading things I've never said in my posts.

There might be uproar online often, bit it often appears far louder than it actually is. There might be a lot of noise, but it doesn't lead to cancellation anywhere nearly enough to justify the term existing..
It doesn't matter that it "doesn't lead to cancellation." The culture exists. People do scour through old shit in an effort to fuck with others. This is an undeniable fact, whether it's with famous people or otherwise, and whether you think it's justified or not.

It is literally a weaponized term to shield from accountability.
It is, but it also stems from an actual phenomenon that exists.

You are amplifying the voices of the people running the grift, you are helping them push their lie..
Now this is some nonsense. I'm not "amplifying" anything. I'm discussing the reality of what some people spend their time online doing with fellow ResetEra peers.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
You've doing a poor job explaining it.

Are you trying to say there hasn't been a significant uptick on people using the internet and transgressions against others? Because you're horribly out of touch if you think that isn't the case. Again, I'm not saying it's bad, largely the opposite. To me that's what the 'culture' is, so to speak.
I have explained it very clearly.

Show me any evidence that enough people have been cancelled for the term to have the weight it supposedly does.

People making noise about cancelling people isn't it.

Show me any meaningful evidend that propoe are BEING cancelled.

All this is is people attempting to sheild themselves from a from accountability.

You truly do not see how this "culture" is being hyped up beyond the influence it had, how the term is being weaponized by people trying to steer the conversation away from accountability for things like racism, transphobia, etc...?

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
It's the wrong take, some of you really have fallen fro the grift.
I think it's a pretty persuasive take. Some people just like throwing stones. I can't actually use twitter because of this, because it's actually pretty disturbing. Should people be held accountable for their actions in the court of public opinion? Yeah. Should that opinion lead to consequences for those people? Sure. Are some people bloodthirsty maniacs on social media in particular? I think we all can see that they are and saying they don't exist seems unreasonable.