• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How often do you finish games?

• Always

Votes: 211 26.1%
  • From time to time

Votes: 553 68.5%
  • Never

Votes: 43 5.3%

• Total voters

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
After getting a kid I started not to care whether I finish a game. Limited time for gaming made me enjoy the gameplay in the particular session, without obsessing that I have to roll the credits to be done with a game. Of course there are many games that I play from start to finish, but in the age of Game Pass, I often just download a title, play it for an hour or two and I'm done. Also still have some games that I bought years ago, which I know I won't finish. And it's ok. You could say that the urge to complete all the games I have died with my age and a plethora of responsibilities.

Last edited:

Any Questions

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
UK
After getting a kid I started to not care whether I finish a game. Limited time for gaming made me enjoy the gameplay in the particular session, without obsessing that I have to roll the credits to be done with a game. Of course there are many games that I play from start to finish, but in the age of Game Pass, I often just download a title, play it for an hour or two and I'm done. Also still have some games that I bought years ago, which I know I won't finish. And it's ok. You could say that the urge to completing all the games I have died with my age and a new plethora of responsibilities.

I completed games on consoles. Got lazy with PC as it's easy to buy more then you need.

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
As long as I get fun out of the purchase, I don't feel the NECESSITY to complete it, unless it's a game I've really been looking forward to, or something by a designer that will make an indelible mark in gaming culture. Then I really feel motivated to complete it.

Jan 9, 2018
The older I get the harder it is to sink tons of hours in a game unless I love it a ton of games if it does not hook me in a couple hours I'm out

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
I try to finish all the games I started and like. I succeed in most cases. But I should be more harsh on games that are just okay. Too many great games to bother with the mediocre titles. I am currently struggling with dropping Jedi Fallen Order.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
I play one game at a time and that is all I play until I complete it. I don't leave games unfinished.

*Endgame content is at my discretion though.

Numberfox

Aug 5, 2018
The ones I finish are generally my personal GoTY's, since they're the only ones that interested me enough to see them through.

Oct 28, 2019
I try, but its hard when you grew up playing games and the only way to get full value was to finish it. Honestly I feel my issue with game is that publishers feel the need to cram single player campaigns with so much padding to compete with multiplayer, GTA, and Elder scrolls that its hard to finish a game.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Agreed. It's your time, gamers who try to dictate and police what you do with your time can fuck off.

Deleted member 7883

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think I bought like 50ish games this year but the only one I beat was Ape Out, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3, and Street Fighter 2 on the arcade for the first timel. Had/having a blast with like 30 of those games rn too. I don't expect to beat any of them. Death Stranding's currently my GOTY.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
Same. Sometimes it isn't even an issue of if the game is good or not, I dont even know why I just stop sometimes. Its whatever though.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
OK BOOM...
jk, it's the fruits of growing up. Gotta play what you think it's really worth your time.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Yep.. Thanks to gamepass I started but never finished the outer worlds and rage 2. Both games seemed fine but I just wanted to go back and play rocket league.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
I rarely finish games. In fact, this is the first year in many I've finished a handful of games. Outside of this year, I might finish 1 game per year lol.

Due to responsibilities and other hobbies, I favor games I can play in short bursts(15 mins here and there). This is typically MP games.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhat adjacent, over the last few years I've become much more comfortable with saying "this game isn't very good, so I'm not gonna finish it". I'm looking at you Ni no Kuni 2. For games that I do like, I still absolutely try to finish it, especially if it's very story-focused.

Ramako

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
I almost always finish every game I start, but I'm pretty selective with what I start. I typically stick to the GOTY candidates, classic retro titles, and short indies.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Even with two kids (another on the way), I complete my games 99% of the time unless it's something I'm really not feeling. I can't leave stories unfinished.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
I finish almost all the games I play since I only play one thing at a time, and I only buy games I'm almost positive I'll enjoy.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
I play one game at a time and that is all I play until I complete it. I don't leave games unfinished.

*Endgame content is at my discretion though.
This is how I go about it as well, though I won't like force myself to finish a game I don't like. Though I rarely end up getting stuff I don't like.

Edit: But also I don't think anyone needs to finish games if they don't feel like it, and looking at trophies/achievements that's in line with most people anyways.

SparkleMotion

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I'm so OCD that I can't NOT finish a game I'm playing (that I like, otherwise I drop a game I'm not having fun with)

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
I generally finish games--I have to really dislike them to put them down or just quit if they're story based.

I think the only game I did that too this year was The Last Remnant. Truly not for me.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I mostly don't do extra stuff, but i will defeat the final boss and see the credits if i liked the game.

Ending the single player campaign experience is part of the fun for me. Can't see them just as "gameplay loop with a context".

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really wish I could feel the same way lol. I'm grinding through Death Stranding and I really don't want to anymore...

Think I'm going to make it a goal in 2020 to drop games I'm just not enjoying (at least for games that are 30+ hours long). Too much great stuff out there.

Clowns

Oct 25, 2017
Depends. Sometimes I can push through a game I'm not enjoying, sometimes I can't. Dropped MGSV at the half way point because that was just ungodly long and boring.

dDASTARDLY

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Facts OP. The only game I've cared to beat and actually remembered doing so, this gen, was RDR2.

If I beat a game I do, if I don't I don't.

Saiyaman

Dec 19, 2017
It's never bothered me. My friends and family don't understand and tell me I'm wasting time/money by playing a game and not finishing it. I try to explain it's not so much about reaching an ending as it is about enjoying myself. If I reach my fill in twenty hours and haven't finished it? Time to move on, I got my enjoyment.

I'll keep doing me cause that's how I enjoy video games.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Depends if I'm still having fun with it, if something becomes an absolute chore then no I don't think it's worth my time to stick it out unless the story is keeping me going to see the end and even so these days you can just watch that shit on YT.

There is a certain ocd I have about seeing certain kinds of games to their end even if I should probably take a break or space the experience out more, case in point I grinded through Death Stranding over two and a half days and felt like a shell of myself afterwards, but still found it to be a mostly unforgettable rewarding journey. I'm still playing it here and there for the side deliveries so clearly the base gameplay is keeping me coming back.

I loved what I played of Bloodborne but as soon as I got to the Upper Cathedral Ward and dlc area I felt like a damn scrub all over again and just couldn't find the patience to keep grinding or get gud which bums me out because the world and lore is just so rich and satisfying and I wanted to see more for myself, and for games like that there's zero appeal watching someone else play through the parts I couldn't get to, I wanna earn that shit. The irony of course is if it ever had a PC release I'd be all over using a trainer just to see everything, so I guess it's moreso I want to be able to control the exploration on my own.

Fishook

Dec 20, 2017
I tend to complete 90% of games I want to play. Other stuff on Game Pass and free games it doesn't bother me whether Complete them or not..

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
I only finish games I really enjoy or games that are very short. I have a lot of stuff to play and I'm not going to waste my time with something that isn't fun enough.

JohnPaulv2.0

Dec 3, 2017
I'm picky about what I pick up but, once I've chosen something, I try to finish it unless it's offensively bad. My rationale is: if I'm enjoying it then why wouldn't I keep on going. Not picking up too many games at once helps with that, as does the 52 games 1 year threads we do here.

Oreoleo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
If I've paid money for a specific product I have a really hard time letting a game go if I'm not getting any enjoyment out of it. Definitely some kind of Gambler's Fallacy going on there.
It's been one nice thing (amongst others) about GamePass and similar services. If I don't like a game I finally don't feel obligated to still trudge through it anymore.

x.f

Nov 1, 2017
I feel incredibly guilty having a huge backlog of games I never beat. If I get halfway through a game I like and don't finish it, I feel bad. I know I'm a crazy person

Oct 25, 2017
Games are just really different from other things where you don't get much out of them if you don't finish them. With games, you can get a lot out of them without "finishing" them. And only certain games can even be "finished". And then there's games where "finishing" them leaves you wanting a lot more. It varies so much it's just not worth worrying about. Play them until they run their course.

doemaaan

Oct 27, 2017
For me, deep down I want to finish every game and I try to, but so many games want so much of my time now that it's insulting. If something is too hard, I lower the difficulty to the easiest setting. If I get stuck, I go straight to the Internet for the answer. If I get too frustrated, I quit the game.

Mind you, I'm not so quick to turn in those examples. I do give it some time, but I definitely have less tolerance now than I did in the past.

Sep 25, 2018
After getting a kid I started not to care whether I finish a game. Limited time for gaming made me enjoy the gameplay in the particular session, without obsessing that I have to roll the credits to be done with a game. Of course there are many games that I play from start to finish, but in the age of Game Pass, I often just download a title, play it for an hour or two and I'm done. Also still have some games that I bought years ago, which I know I won't finish. And it's ok. You could say that the urge to complete all the games I have died with my age and a plethora of responsibilities.

switch fix that for most who have limited time

Deleted member 9486

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't force myself to finding games I'm not enjoying. Never have. I do a pretty decent job of knowing my tastes and buying things I enjoy though so I finish way more games than I abandon.

Oct 28, 2017
If i get bored with a game and something else interests me, I'm gonna move on. It's the ones I come back to and finish which stand out the most imho.

I play games as a break from my obligations. I refuse to let them turn into one

Ryutaryi

Oct 25, 2017
No time to care, even with no kids myself. Life is far too short to put much stock into finishing a game. As long as you get enjoyment out of it it's good enough.