• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
I hate socializing with other parents at kids programs more, because you can't avoid them there.

"How do the babies sleep?"
"Poorly right now. It's a rough patch."
"Oh, my Timmy slept through the night no issues from 6 months."
"Ok"

Sometimes I give my daughter (who's 2) a pacifier after swimming class, because it's a late class and she gets tired.

"Oh? She still has a pacifier?"
"When she's tired, yes."
"My Timmy never had one and my oldest gave it up at 1 year"
"Ok"

I'd love to meet some normal ass parents sometimes who don't constantly need to lie or comment on every fucking parenting choice. It drives me nuts.

These "competition parents" are annoying as hell. You meet a lot of them when kids are still very young. I guess since babies don't really do much so every little thing is an accomplishment.

I remember one parent bragging about how their son got all their front teeth after I mentioned my daughter's first tooth was just coming in. We didn't become friends with those parents. But don't worry, normal folk are out there.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
I hate socializing with other parents at kids programs more, because you can't avoid them there.

"Ok"

Sometimes I give my daughter (who's 2) a pacifier after swimming class, because it's a late class and she gets tired.

"When she's tired, yes."
"Ok"

I'd love to meet some normal ass parents sometimes who don't constantly need to lie or comment on every fucking parenting choice. It drives me nuts.

Every kid is different, so you can't really apply the same thing to all of them. People can be jerks about it.

I do want to say that you probably shouldn't let a two-year-old use a pacifier though, not because my kid is better but because it can damage their dental growth / teeth and cause problems for them developmental wise. It really is better for your child if you wean them off soon, especially if they are already two.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
God damn sodium levels are on some next level shit in this thread.

Pro tip: Anyone making a thread about how much they don't care about someone else's kid cares WAY too much about someone else's kid...

Oct 28, 2017
Siloam Springs
Something I'm noticing on Facebook and Twitter is people introducing their kids to Star Wars and doing it via the prequels.

oh I know. Why not try the originals first? Hide the prequels from the kids! In my case, my kid got bored of the OT while watching it. But he loves the Sequel trilogy and I think he would love the prequels. Hell he may even like Jar Jar. Maybe.

BUT HOLY FUCK. When I mentioned this on social media I got bombarded with "MY KID ONLY LIKES THE OT", "MY KID WANTS THE ORIGINAL CUTS".

That's great. But let's talk...

This is a larger problem parents have to deal with and that problem is: STOP MAKING YOUR CHILD'S MINOR ASS CHOICES A STATUS SYMBOL. That's great that little Lily hates candy and loves broccoli. That's fantastic that your kid loves to listen to Bach and discovered it on their own. Yes my kid watches YouTube and yours has to fight to be brought inside. That's great. And yeah, your kids only want to watch the first two seasons of G1 Transformers and refuses to touch the Bay films. Weird flex but aight.

STOP OBNOXIOUSLY COMPARING OUR KIDS OVER THE SMALLEST THING LIKE A MOVIE CHOICE TO A LARGER THING LIKE HEALTH.

It's like parents are so desperate for other parents to acknowledge their child's superiority and when they're too young to save lives or conduct a suite, you have to just fluff up everything. Even minor shit like their choices in movies.

PS, a bigger and shittier flex: my son's autistic. That's great that your kid skipped a grade and is doing college shit in grade six, but did your punk ass have to tell me that immediately after I tell you my son is 11 and can't tie his shoes?

I'm with you there. I avoid my friends and family that "have to" compare their kids to my son (6 Autistic).

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
Every kid is different, so you can't really apply the same thing to all of them. People can be jerks about it.

I do want to say that you probably shouldn't let a two-year-old use a pacifier though, not because my kid is better but because it can damage their dental growth / teeth and cause problems for them developmental wise. It really is better for your child if you wean them off soon, especially if they are already two.

Lol fuck off

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle

"Ok"

"When she's tired, yes."
"Ok"

My daughter is 4 and is sleeping in our bed after only a couple hours of sleeping in her bed.

So that sucks balls.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
rachmanjackoffs canons were dogshit, and my billy knows that only bach constructs such fulfilling and consistant canon works

he listens while chewing on his montessori toys

My Edouard rejected Montessori's charlatanism and only dismantles first class, exclusive toys. I've got him a private tutor.

I'm introducing him to the works of Béla Tarr and it makes him profoundly pensive for hours.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
My daughter is 4 and is sleeping in our bed after only a couple hours of sleeping in her bed.

So that sucks balls.
Rough shit, man. My twins will not leave our bedroom. My wife breast feeds, so it got to be way easier for her to co-sleep with both of them whining throughout the night, but now they don't lay down for solid sleep without their mother beside them, so I've been sleeping in a chair in my game room for about 6 months now.

And fucking whatever. I'm not ashamed of that shit. I'm not going to go to gymnastics class and lie about it. Every kid is different, every kid develops at their own pace, with their own quirks. Whatever. We're all just trying to do our best at the end of the day and fuck the backseat parenting and constant one-upmanship can get lost.

Stabi

Oct 25, 2017
France / san francisco
Yeah that's star wars thing is dumb.

But between feeling proud of their kids, worrying that they may be behind in some areas, and just the fact that when they have young kids their life pretty much revolves around them to the point they have next to 0 life, lots of parents are just going to speak of and compare their kids.

It can be tiring but it's more them being proud of their kids than wanting to diminish yours.

Oct 31, 2017

Pro tip: Anyone making a thread about how much they don't care about someone else's kid cares WAY too much about someone else's kid...

Lol we get it you're one of those competitive parents

And no, most of the time when people say "I don't care," it doesn't mean they secretly really care.

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What a...strange thing to complain about. I show my kid all Star Wars films, and she enjoys them all.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is it true that single mothers dress their kids like the men that left them?

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
User Warned: Inappropriate language
The secret is that nobody's kid actually prefers the original theatrical versions of Star Wars. They just wish their parents would shut the fuck up about how much George Lucas has raped and pillaged their cherished memories by putting a goofy CGI slug in A New Hope.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
If I ever have a kid, it will be free to like whatever it wants rather than being forced to watch some old crap 'dad' thinks is oh so great. Let kids be their own people.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
The secret is that nobody's kid actually prefers the original theatrical versions of Star Wars. They just wish their parents would shut the fuck up about how much George Lucas has raped and pillaged their cherished memories by putting a goofy CGI slug in A New Hope.
The smart ones want them to reserve that complaint for the way he ruined RotJ.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
I've tried very much to live by
"You can't flex on me if I'm happy for you"
It's helped lot when so much of day to day life is a constant contest of one-upsmanship, why I rarely engage with social media, most vapid shit ever

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Why are you talking about your kid on social media?
They'll get exposed enough to it once they get older, no need to start ASAP.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017

I thought so too from the title but reading the thread itself it's pretty clear it's bitching about parents

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
OP it must be tough bringing up an autistic kid. All that matters is that you love each other and he's happy. Fuck the people who make you feel bad for not having a perfect child with impeccable taste. I bet those kids are fucking miserable.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The weirdest flex is parents obsessed about the size of their kids.

'Oh there are in size 10 shoes'

'Oh they are only 2, but wearing clothes for a 4 year old'

I really don't give a fuck how big your kids feet are.

Oct 27, 2017
My kids have to put FIFA 18 onto amateur level in order to score any goals. What a bunch of scrubs.

I feel you OP, bragging about your kids is deeply irritating. I'm always very careful not to do it, but holy hell so many parents just toss these little "My kid is better than your kid" snipes into everything they do.

That's the problem with social media, it's a heavily curated vertical slice of a life, showcasing only the positive elements and adding serious amounts of spin to every activity. It's so false and I just can't engage with it.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
My kid only likes Seven Samurai, she has no interest in that toy commercial knock off made for plebes

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada

"Ok"

"When she's tired, yes."
"Ok"

My daughter has actually slept till like noon since she was like 1 but I feel very lucky and don't rub that shit in. Also she's probably of average intelligence lol and has a sucker which she grabs when she wants and she's 28months.
The weird flex I see is dad's constantly bragging how big their sons are. You'd think the entire human race will be giants in 10 years

Oct 27, 2017
The clothes size thing, at least from my perspective is more incredulity that my kid can be 7 and be wearing pyjamas apparently designed for a 12 year old; less in a "look how big my child is" because who wants a massive daughter and more "there must be some seriously runty 12 year olds out there if they fit into this".

GarudaSmiles

Dec 14, 2018
If I ever have a kid, it will be free to like whatever it wants rather than being forced to watch some old crap 'dad' thinks is oh so great. Let kids be their own people.
Nothing wrong with sharing something you hold fondly with your kids. Most kids will be happy to have something to share in common with their parent. The problem comes when people try and force their kids to like things.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
It happened even here or previously on gaf :

"My 5 year old asked me if trump will destroy america if he's elected and what can they do to stop it?"

totally real for sure!