• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RSTEIN

Nov 13, 2017
I don't get it either, but having children is absolutely your choice. It's totally fine to decide one way or the other.

I agree with the post that says that a lot of this forum skews towards depressive attitudes, and that probably affects the view towards having kids. If you're so depressed that you don't think life is worth living, then it's understandable that you don't want to bring another person into the world to experience the same thing. I just hope those people find happiness and self-worth in their lives.

As for the climate change thing... While I think climate change is an incredibly important topic that needs to be addressed, I don't think not having children is a good way to address it. Living consumes resources, but I don't agree with the thought process that goes "people consume resources > therefore people are a waste of resources > therefore people shouldn't exist at all." That's an insanely reductive and pessimistic view of human life.

If you think along those lines, then human extinction is the fastest way to stop climate change, and that's obviously insane. The fact that a fair number of people on this forum seem to lean towards this sort of thinking links in to the whole depression thing.

You're more than the air that you breathe and the food that you eat. Everyone is.

Depression is the only thing that can explain a lot of the stuff said around these parts.

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
I think the world has actually gotten much worse from the time I was born. Give me the old days of Nintendo, and TV shows, and Sega and VCRs and such.

When the world discovered globalisation in the form of the internet, laws and being kind to one another went out the window.

Sir Blaming

Oct 26, 2017
Things that will happen to your future kid due to climate change if you live in the in-land US

1. The economy will probably grow less fast than in prior years
2. Your taxes will go up for a couple years to pay for drip-feed irrigation systems for farmers which will save a lot more freshwater than we lose to climate change issues. Considering that almost all freshwater in the U.S. is used for farming, this will make the water issue not much of an issue.
3. It will be hotter which is lame.
4. People will want to build an apartment in your neighborhood, gasp.
5. There will be fewer parking lots.

Climate change is largely an Africa and South Asia issue, climate change will be very bad, but the people saying "your kids will be so much worse off your shouldn't have kids!" are non-serious people who either

A): Do not understand how human populations work and thus stupidly think Thanos had a good point.
B): Are fishing for attention.

You know, with all your other replies that I have seen, maybe you should wake up and realize that you're
A:) absolutely up your own ass
B:) contributing nothing to this thread other than making it much more shitty

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
Depression is the only thing that can explain a lot of the stuff said around these parts.

Sometimes I think I'm not depressed because the last thing I want to do is kill myself, but maybe I am a little depressed. I feel like my self esteem has dropped significantly since like 10 years ago, and its noticeable. It's the first time I'm admitting it.

Oct 26, 2017
User warned: post-count shaming
You know, with all your other replies that I have seen, maybe you should wake up and realize that you're
A:) absolutely up your own ass
B:) contributing nothing to this thread other than making it much more shitty

Put together the argument that the world in 2100 for in-land Americans will be worse than the world for the life of children living in 1960 Africa.

When should have people in Africa not have had children.

Also, you seem like an alt account.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think the world has actually gotten much worse from the time I was born. Give me the old days of Nintendo, and TV shows, and Sega and VCRs and such.

When the world discovered globalisation in the form of the internet, laws and being kind to one another went out the window.
No, you were just young and naive and ignorant back then and aren't now.

pixelation

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Where I live the water is already becoming scarcer by the day, climate change isn't something that's gonna happen in the far future it's something that's happening now. If you can't see it I don't know what to tell you, I'd hate to bring children to this planet knowing that food and water are gonna be harder to come by and also this world is going haywire, killings left and right, racism, bigotry, hatred just keeps on growing and I don't see how it all could be turned back or reversed. This world is going down the shitter and I don't wanna bring a child that I'll love because I know that I'll eventually die and won't be able to protect them from it (the world and it's inhabitants).

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
I have kids and am deathly terrified for their future. Its not that i think the end is unavoidable, its that the people who really have the power to change it dont care.

At the same time i think its a weak arguement to think simply not having kids is doing enough. You can not have kids but still live a life that leads to a humongous carbon footprint. Not having kids doesnt automatically absolve you from being part of the problem.

Sir Blaming

Oct 26, 2017
Put together the argument that the world in 2100 for in-land Americans will be worse than the world for the life of children living in 1960 Africa.

You talk like the world revolves around the US alone. Like I said, you're not contributing anything to this conversation other than "hurr durr, but the United States would be totally fine lol", which is completely not true. And comparing stats few decades apart is the most stupidest thing that has been typed out by you so far.
Maybe for once, you should actually start searching up on "critical thinking". Or maybe that's too much for you.

Oct 26, 2017
You talk like the world revolves around the US alone. Like I said, you're not contributing anything to this conversation other than "hurr durr, but the United States would be totally fine lol", which is completely not true. And comparing stats few decades apart is the most stupidest thing that has been typed out by you so far.
Maybe for once, you should actually start searching up on "critical thinking". Or maybe that's too much for you.

What are you talking about

My argument: People who say "the world be so much worse in the future due to climate change that people shouldn't have kids!" are extremely, aggressively stupid as there's basically no chance the future is as bad as like the 1700s... When people were still willing to have kids. The only people who are not aggressively stupid while stating this opinion are people begging for attention.

What is your argument.

Do you have an argument

Could you switch back to your main account.

Quixzlizx

Oct 25, 2017

You keep mentioning "inland Americans." Are the only people whose suffering/lack of matter to you the ones who think Olive Garden is high cuisine?

Sir Blaming

Oct 26, 2017
What are you talking about

My argument: People who say "the world be so much worse in the future due to climate change that people shouldn't have kids!" are extremely, aggressively stupid as there's basically no chance the future is as bad as like the 1700s... When people were still willing to have kids. The only people who are not aggressively stupid while stating this opinion are people begging for attention.

What is your argument.

Do you have an argument

Could you switch back to your main account.
Your argument of things not being as bad as the 1700's is not only dumb, because of the difference in population and living standards, but claiming that "yeah maybe we should have kids due to the overwhelming facts" is stupid means you're ignorant of the world at large.

Yeah people will still have kids, but maybe, not having one due to climate change is legit for once due to all the suffering you would have to go through at that time.

And if we were talking about the 1700's, people had kids at that time sure, but the mortality rate was so much higher than today and the literature rate so much lower. People were as dumb as you almost.

Oct 26, 2017
You're argument of things not being as bad as the 1700's is not only dumb, because of the difference in population and living standards, but claiming that "yeah maybe we should have kids due to the overwhelming facts" is stupid means you're ignorant of the world at large.

Yeah people will still have kids, but maybe, not having one due to climate change is legit for once due to all the suffering you would have to go through at that time.

And if we were talking about the 1700's, people had kids at that time sure, but the mortality rate was so much higher than today and the literature rate so much lower. People were as dumb as you almost.

So like

Life in Africa was very bad in the 1980s.

Were the people really dumb to have kids then.

Is every young adult African a mistake made by dumb parents.

Did your ancestors make mistakes by having kids in the Dark Ages or other times of strife due to stupidity.

Genuinely curious when people are stupid for having kids because this argument seems eliminationist, edgelordy, and nihilistic.

Also, this is an incredibly sad meltdown. Switch back to your main account please.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
If your grandparents were too worried to have children because they might have just died in the world war back then, you probably wouldn't be here browsing this site.

Oct 26, 2017
Just to be clear, people who believed in stuff like The Population Bomb, etc, were extremely stupid people who were mocked relentlessly by history.

Even if you're an eliminationist, maybe just try not to embarrass yourself by saying so.

Sir Blaming

Oct 26, 2017
So like

Life in Africa was very bad in the 1980s.

Were the people really dumb to have kids then.

Is every young adult African a mistake made by dumb parents.

Did your ancestors make mistakes by having kids in the Dark Ages or other times of strife due to stupidity.

Genuinely curious when people are stupid for having kids because this argument seems eliminationist, edgelordy, and nihilistic.

Also, this is an incredibly sad meltdown. Switch back to your main account please.
I don't think you understand the problem that is climate change in the first place. This is so much more worst than whatever example you're giving me. The state of the earth and the world at large is so much more different currently. Imagine the future where you can't even have a house over your head, or water, or even food.

The reason why people are able to propagate is because they're fulfilling maslow hierarchy of need. Climate change is going to make that not happen.

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think you understand the problem that is climate change in the first place. This is so much more worst than whatever example you're giving me. The state of the earth and the world at large is so much more different currently.
Imagine the future where you can't even have a house over your head, or water, or even food.

The reason why people are able to propagate is because they're fulfilling maslow hierarchy of need. Climate change is going to make that not happen.

Okay so

Literally no projection of climate change I've seen has suggested that life for future Americans (and I focus on America because that's most of the people on the site) will be worse than in 1800s America.

We have a massive amount of food, water, and land in the United States.

Link me to the models you're referencing to, please

And switch to your main account?

LanceX2

Oct 25, 2017
you are on a video game forum.

Dont think too hard about why some people here say certain things

Oct 28, 2017

I miss my youth of going to blockbuster and Hollywood video in the 90's with my parents on Friday nights. Me and my brothers trying to decide which game to rent. Great times.

Ppl looked happier back then too. Now everyone looks depressed and angry all the time. Especially at my job. Jeez.

Sir Blaming

Oct 26, 2017
Okay so

Literally no projection of climate change I've seen has suggested that life for future Americans (and I focus on America because that's most of the people on the site) will be worse than in 1800s America.

I love the crux of your argument where you compare America in the 1800's and its future.
Where let's the current population of the US is 340 million compared to 5 million in 1800.
And "We have a massive amount of food, water, and land in the United States." like it's not going to change due to climate change. Yeah sure, enjoy your land, and your food lol

Buzzman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Okay so

Might want to check your models there chief.

Also what is this fucking argument? "People had it worse before so you can't ever complain."
Somehow I don't think people are comforted by this dumb idea that suddenly losing a couple hundred years of progress is no big deal. We lived through the Middle ages with serfdom, crushing poverty, starvation and rampant disease, are you that shocked if someone isn't interested in reliving that?

Oct 26, 2017
Might want to check your models there chief.

Also what is this fucking argument? "People had it worse before so you can't ever complain."
Somehow I don't think people are comforted by this dumb idea that suddenly losing a couple hundred years of progress is no big deal. We lived through the Middle ages with serfdom, crushing poverty, starvation and rampant disease, are you that shocked if someone isn't interested in reliving that?

The conditions in which people in the past had children in is incredibly relevant to "will the future be so bad that we shouldn't have children????!?"

Please link to your models that suggest life in the United States will be worse than in the 1890s or something.

pixelation

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Okay so

Yeah I call shit on that, you're out of the loop. Also stop with the alt account bullshit, why are you back seat modding?

KomandaHeck

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not sure how that reasoning is more unbelievable to you than the weirdos who don't want kids because they claim to flat out dislike children universally. Regardless of whether you agree with the rationale, at least it's a fear based on strong evidence for how the world may look in a few decades rather than wherever the hell the other thing is coming from.

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I call shit on that, you're out of the loop. Also stop with the alt account bullshit, why are you back seat modding?

I have worked in freshwater research.

Like 70-80% of the freshwater used (in Utah at least) is used by farms who waste a huge amount of it and they could easily reduce water consumption a huge amount. If the government gave farms subsidies to install more water efficient delivery systems, we probably won't have many freshwater issues.

Buzzman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The conditions in which people in the past had children in is incredibly relevant to "will the future be so bad that we shouldn't have children????!?"
We also had children when we lived in caves and didn't know about fucking fire. We could literally have a nuclear holocaust tomorrow and people could still technically live better than we did back then. But you'll be wandering the irradiated wasteland going " WHAT ARE YOU GUYS EVEN WORRIED ABOUT, WE'VE HAD WORSE, SUCK IT UP."

Please link to your models that suggest life in the United States will be worse than in the 1890s or something.
Sorry, I don't actually give a shit about what life in the United States is going to be like. I live in a place called "The rest of the world".

Oct 26, 2017
We also had children when we lived in caves and didn't know about fucking fire. We could literally have a nuclear holocaust tomorrow and people could still technically live better than we did back then. But you'll be wandering the irradiated wasteland going " WHAT ARE YOU GUYS EVEN WORRIED ABOUT, WE'VE HAD WORSE, SUCK IT UP."

Sorry, I don't actually give a shit about what life in the United States is going to be like. I live in a place called "The rest of the world".

What are you talking about?

Me: "People were willing to have kids in times much worse than the future will be. Arguing it's unethical to have kids now is really weird Kind of have to argue it was dumb for people in Africa to have kids at any point going by this hyper nihilistic argument."

You: "Oh, so you're saying we shouldn't care about climate change???"

Could you show a model where life in your country will be much worse than 120 years ago then.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am 100% on board with not having children and don't plan to have any myself. If you told me you didn't want to have children because they're expensive, because you're not prepared, because you don't like them, because you're selfish etc. I can 100% empathize. What I find harder to wrap my head around is not having children because of "The planet dying" or some such.

I guess I just find it weird that people are so confident that we're done for in X amount of years and nothing can be done at this point, that they think they are doing their hypothetical child a service by not having them. Anyone else in this boat?

100% agree. Using climate change as an argument is generally people trying to put a holier-than-thou justification on what is actually them doing it for selfish reasons.

I've seen people here say things like "it's bad for the environment" and then "I enjoy travelling" in the same post lol.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
What is hard to understand? The science shows how bad things are getting. I fully expect that the 2020s will be the last "normal" decade before things really completely fall apart.

if you've 'read the science' as you proclaimed, then no, the 2020s will not be the last 'normal' decade. It will get 'worse', yes. But it ain't gonna be 'Fallout' by the 2030s (unless Kim Jung Un launched a nuke or something).

Engell

Oct 28, 2017
always held the belief that having more than 2 children in the modern world is a pretty shitty thing to do, selfish and totally unnecessary...

Kanann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How future with flying car and shits is bad?

My child self will be super jelly with internet age, non stop books, movies, games, and such.

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017
Where I live the water is already becoming scarcer by the day, climate change isn't something that's gonna happen in the far future it's something that's happening now. If you can't see it I don't know what to tell you, I'd hate to bring children to this planet knowing that food and water are gonna be harder to come by and also this world is going haywire, killings left and right, racism, bigotry, hatred just keeps on growing and I don't see how it all could be turned back or reversed. This world is going down the shitter and I don't wanna bring a child that I'll love because I know that I'll eventually die and won't be able to protect them from it (the world and it's inhabitants).

You're supposed to teach them to take care of themselves when you eventually die. That's called parenting, it's kind of a big thing. I won't lie, it's tough to realize how soon they won't be in your arms and you won't be able to protect them from the world, and it's hard to accept, but every parent in the history of the world has gone through it, and most of them didn't lose their minds. You probably won't either.

jipewithin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If someone is saying things like they are not having children because of climate change they most likely wouldn't in the first place.

Cokie Bear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I honestly believe that anyone who says this wasn't planning on having kids anyway and this is the reasoning they give to get brownie points on the internet.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
It's weird as fuck. It's in line with some of the other performative nonsense that crops up here and elsewhere online. People want to make themselves out to be a martyr, or as if they are making this grand noble gesture for humanity. No real life person is sitting at home with their partner going "gee we both really want kids, but let's not because the world could be bad shape in the next 30+ years." You don't want kids because you don't want them, and it's primarily for selfish reasons. There's nothing wrong with that, just own it.

Status
Not open for further replies.