• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 26, 2017
Because the thought of subjecting a child to a world with dwindling resources, raging droughts, storms and floods, and its consequent effects on economy, rise of populism and potential civil unrests, is soooooooooo hilarious.

Pretty sure the economy will be infinitely better for all people in the late 2000s than it was at any point prior to 1950 in the absolute worst case scenarios.

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's a distinction to be made between someone not having children because they're concerned that the quality of living for them will be worse than their own versus someone not having children because of the emissions footprint.

I can understand both, but I can probably relate more to the former. And I can understand deciding to have children.

Deleted member 18360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I honestly don't see how the rate of social change we've witnessed recently wouldn't make someone apprehensive about the responsibility entailed by creating life, granted I'm gay so it's not like I'm having a kid by accident or anything but only as a product of perhaps overwrought consideration.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
This is a really good piece from CBC on the role of population control and has some surprising opinions in it from authority figures on it.

In particular:

Darrell Bricker, a fellow at the University of Toronto's Munk School of Global Affairs and Public Policy, who co-wrote Empty Planet: The Shock of Global Population Decline, says he's not surprised by the UN dropping its numbers
He's particularly irked by recent stories about youth pledging not to have children; while many talk of fears over what the world will look like in the generations to come, still others point to population concerns.

The birth rate in Canada is 1.5, he notes, below the replacement rate.

"So why are you taking this pledge? If you decide you want to have a kid, great. If you decide you want to have two kids, great," he said.

"There are a lot of reasons why we should be concerned about global warming and climate change. And, yes, we need to do whatever we need to do to control it. But if you think you need to enforce some sort of Draconian pledge on people to say that they shouldn't have a family or whatever, you're just missing the point."

Personally I think we do need to actively think about population control and that that responsibility is everyone's. But... the focus should probably be on people not having children at a rate above replacement levels (ie. 3+) rather than denying yourself one of the quintessential human experiences on the basis of what works out to be fairly dubious mathematics when considered in the global context.

UltimusXI

Oct 27, 2017
Your child could help reduce emissions overall by being a climate change scientist or advocate.
Chance is much bigger that any child won't be any of those though. I mean, how many out of the 7 billion people on Earth currently fit in those categories? Most others all consume more than they need, produce waste or travel the world.

Oct 26, 2017
I am surprised at the amount of people who think the displacement of millions of people from global warming won't affect their lives.

Madison

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lima, Peru
The world is getting worse, I dont want for another human being to struggle with the destruction caused by corporations and the rich

Is that "cringy"?

killdatninja

Oct 26, 2017
So basically, the backstory to First Reformed movie.

I get the idea behind it, but right now the way things are is foolish since technically we still have time to save the planet. Once things start looking dire, like run out of natural resources, then yes a little caution may be needed, not sure if I would see it in my lifetime.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
It's a combination of nihilist ("everything is doomed! The end is nigh!" Yeah, that mindset is so helpful) and the continual focus on people's individual habits which is just wrong - the problem is not the individual choices you make, it's mostly coming from companies, and if we stopped blaming individual power who's choices make absolutely no difference in the grand scheme of things we could actually focus on real solutions like regulations curtailing companies emissions.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
The biggest migrant crisis in history is coming and it will be handled awfuly and the chaos may lead to more wars.

Yeah, I can understand people not wanting to bring children into that.

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Basically, they're pretending that they're trying to spare their theoretical child from enduring hardships in the future when in actuality, they probably wouldn't have the opportunity to ever have a child in the first place anyway.

Don't worry about it OP, the uhhh... interesting individuals on this forum "abstaining" from reproducing won't result in the end of the human race.

Might Be the worst hot take I've ever encountered.

Oct 25, 2017
Word. I don't understand why people make decisions based on facts and data. They should just leap into important shit with no consideration for anyone or anything else.

Oct 26, 2017
I am surprised at the amount of people who think the displacement of millions of people from global warming won't affect their lives.

Do you wish you were never born because tens of millions of people are fleeing Syria right now.

What is the number of refugees that would actually make the lives of non-refugees worse to the point of not wanting to exist.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
It's never really about climate change and more about DINKs or SINKs getting to enjoy their lifestyle and adding an ethical superiority to it.

If it's only about climate change then more people should be talking about adopting but they don't.

Failburger

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
There's part of the world that's running out of water.

Narions are bussing immigrants to the middle of a desert and leaving them.

Medical care is becoming more and more a luxury.

Dude, your way of ff life will soon be considered a golden age.

Oct 26, 2017
Word. I don't understand why people make decisions based on facts and data. They should just leap into important shit with no consideration for anyone or anything else.

Love to try to act like I am the very smart and reasonable one while endorsing an idea that makes zero sense as climate change is a collective action problem.

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017
The "I don't want to bring a child into a world that is ending" is a very weird take to me tbh. People had kids during the Black Death. If most of the human beings in the world are going to die that seems like a pretty good argument to have a few more humans around to increase the odds that enough survive to repopulate the race!

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Sometimes I feel like people use climate change as an excuse to deflect from the real reasons they don't want kids.

For whatever reason someone wants or doesn't want kids - that's fine, just don't act like you're doing the world a big favor by not having a kid.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
If people throughout history had a similar mindset the human race would have gone extinct thousands of years ago. Having said that, if you don't want kids by all means don't have them.

ohlawd

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Phantagrande
legit. we're gonna lose a bunch of states and places that are on coastlines cuz of rising water levels. can't wait for people who aren't concerned about this turn their head the other way when misplaced people start moving inland

Oct 26, 2017
legit. we're gonna lose a bunch of states and places that are on coastlines cuz of rising water levels. can't wait for people who aren't concerned about this turn their head the other way when misplaced people start moving inland

Wow, people from Miami are going to have to move inland where... There's a massive amount of available land.

America has enough land to easily support 1 to 1.5 billion people right now, we'll be OK supporting 400-500 million people with slightly less land.

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah lol

I dont think that the black plague should be our example for anything ever

???

The point is that "we shouldn't have children because we are in a potentially world-ending crisis" is total nonsense and we can literally tell that by looking back at previous world-ending crises. Actually, humans are good and life is worth living, children are wonderful, and all that remains true even when life is otherwise tough.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I believe someone in the last thread we had about having kids/not having kids said they were more concerned about not being able to afford a shiny new car if they had a child. Then it turned into what the majority of these threads turn into: people finding ways to call parents selfish, or that we don't care about the environment, etc, etc. Have kids if you want to have kids and have the means to support them. If you don't want them, then don't.

UltimusXI

Oct 27, 2017
What is the number of refugees that would actually make the lives of non-refugees worse to the point of not wanting to exist.
Errrr have you seen the response from most European countries when 'only' tens of thousands of refugees started moving in from Syria? Fences are built in countries like Hungary, no ships are allowed to enter anymore in Italy, etc. Far right parties gained lots of votes. A deal with Turkey was needed to keep people calm over here. Turkey received billions of euros to keep people out of Europe.

People already felt they were flooded with refugees a couple of years ago here in Netherlands.

Not wanting to exist may be extreme, but things would not have become friendly either.

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
Here's a visual aid to help
unnamed.png

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017
Errrr have you seen the response from most European countries when 'only' tens of thousands of refugees started moving in from Syria? Fences are built in countries like Hungary, no ships are allowed to enter anymore in Italy, etc. Far right parties gained lots of votes. A deal with Turkey of all regimes was needed to keep people calm over here. Turkey received billions of money to keep people out of Europe.

People already felt they were flooded with refugees a couple of years ago here in Netherlands.

It's true that lots of people are crazy racists but that doesn't actually mean refugees were affecting their quality of life.

Oct 26, 2017
Errrr have you seen the response from most European countries when 'only' tens of thousands of refugees started moving in from Syria? Fences are built in countries like Hungary, no ships are allowed to enter anymore in Italy, etc. Far right parties gained lots of votes. A deal with Turkey of all regimes was needed to keep people calm over here. Turkey received billions of money to keep people out of Europe.

Seriously. Look at how reactionary countries from all across the world have been in regards to immigrants and refugees. I can't even imagine the shitstorm when 190 million people are displaced from their homes.

Hell, we just had this thread recently: New elevation data triple estimates of global vulnerability to sea-level rise and coastal flooding

It's too bad it isn't simply a matter of dealing with land and shoving people somewhere else. It's a matter of losing farm land, of losing fresh water, of losing food in general as climate change continues. I'm confident we'll survive, but god damn, it ain't going to be pretty.

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
We just going to ignore that the United States already has a lower than average birth rate and a higher than average death rate?

While I can somewhat understand the sentiment, we shouldn't get to the point where we shame people for wanting to have kids because they are suddenly climate change deniers.

Status
Not open for further replies.