• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
I am 100% on board with not having children and don't plan to have any myself. If you told me you didn't want to have children because they're expensive, because you're not prepared, because you don't like them, because you're selfish etc. I can 100% empathize. What I find harder to wrap my head around is not having children because of "The planet dying" or some such.

I guess I just find it weird that people are so confident that we're done for in X amount of years and nothing can be done at this point, that they think they are doing their hypothetical child a service by not having them. Anyone else in this boat?

Zoph

Oct 25, 2017
If you live in a developed nation, the biggest way to cut your emissions footprint is by having one fewer child, full stop.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
I agree for the most part. Who knows, your child could one day be the person who unites the world against climate change or discovers a way to undo it. That's what hope is.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
the consensus seems to be that the planet is going to be at apocalyptic levels within the 50 years and people dont want their kids to suffer that.

NESpowerhouse

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
For me, it's less about lessening the effects of Climate Change, but instead more about the uncertainty of how much they would be suffering through.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
its more than just climate change

any fool can see this ship is sinking

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
From their pov, your unwillingness to accept the reality of a society-altering climate disaster is weird.

The data is overwhelming, we can already see it happening, and no one in power is moving fast enough to stop it.

Deleted member 18360

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's literally just a modification or addendum of the argument of 'why make another kid when there are already so many in need of homes".

OP
OP

Deleted member 52442

Banned
Jan 24, 2019
If you live in a developed nation, the biggest way to cut your emissions footprint is by having one fewer child, full stop.

See even here I just find it hard to wrap my head around opting out of having a baby because of "emissions footprint".

May its a lack of caring about the environment for me? I recycle, don't use gas when I can help it, don't litter, anything I can do to be green within reason I do. Maybe other people are more aware/caring about it than I am

Allforce

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I don't get it either OP, I've only ever seen that sentiment around this forum though.

If a couple told me in person THAT was the reason they weren't having kids I'd have a hard time containing my laughter. To each their own though.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I used to work with a Catholic woman who was VERY offended at the idea of not having kids because of climate change.

ohlawd

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Phantagrande
lol maybe we and the previous generations shouldn't have stacked the deck so hard against future kids

i think not having kids cuz of climate change is misguided but I won't begrudge anyone who thinks that way

Chemo

Oct 28, 2017
User Warned: Inflammatory generalizations
This thread is an incredibly useful tool to spot the hidden climate change deniers.

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
I dont get the whole end of the world stuff. If some hypothetical thing asked me before I was born "You can choose between never living or 50 years and face the apocalypse" Im picking to live those 50 years.

The other side about it is hurting society by putting more of a load on climate change, couldn't an argument be made for society killing off certain people that are the biggest contributors to climate change?

OP
OP

Deleted member 52442

Banned
Jan 24, 2019
the consensus seems to be that the planet is going to be at apocalyptic levels within the 50 years and people dont want their kids to suffer that.

I mean the writing's on the wall. Idk what to tell you

Yeah I've seen some of those, but how are people so resolved to it already? I mean its science (which is constantly changing) predicting something FIFTY YEARS in the future. Also fifty years of life is not too shabby

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
I dunno what to tell you. Unless you're rich, children born this decade aren't going to live full comfortable lives at the rate we are going.

Yeah I've seen some of those, but how are people so resolved to it already? I mean its science (which is constantly changing) predicting something FIFTY YEARS in the future.

The prediction isn't "we're going to destroy our planet or we are not going to destroy our planet"

The prediction is "we're going to destroy our planet in 40 years or in 60"

Caveat, "destroying our planet" is not realistic. In reality, we will be destroying our ability (or our children's ability) to live comfortably and safely.

UltimusXI

Oct 27, 2017
Whatever we think of to fix climate change and other issues in this world, it will always remain a fact that more people means more waste, less space for others, less resources left, less space for nature, etc.

Imo we need to find a balance where world population no longer grows and there's no more effective way currently than to have less kids.

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017
our emissions are meaningless, its all the fault of unregulated corporations

It's pretty much this!

People who say they don't want to have kids because of climate change are not, in my view, particularly likely to be having kids absent climate change. Which is fine.

Nov 23, 2017
I dunno what to tell you. Unless you're rich, children born this decade aren't going to live full comfortable lives at the rate we are going.

The prediction isn't "we're going to destroy our planet or we are not"

The prediction is "we're going to destroy our planet in 40 years or in 60"
Most indicators for society are trending positive, things are more safe than ever, poverty is decreasing, much needed political movements have sprung up around increasing workers rights, civil rights and increasing purchasing power etc. This is just wrong.

Subpar Scrub

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Attacking/generalising the community
Basically, they're pretending that they're trying to spare their theoretical child from enduring hardships in the future when in actuality, they probably wouldn't have the opportunity to ever have a child in the first place anyway.

Don't worry about it OP, the uhhh... interesting individuals on this forum "abstaining" from reproducing won't result in the end of the human race.

Oct 26, 2017
It's a super insane idea that makes no sense and is part of rhetorical one-upsmanship to get likes and hits online.

If you live outside of Africa and South Asia, you won't be affected very much by climate change. Your child could help reduce emissions overall by being a climate change scientist or advocate. And it really doesn't matter that much because it's a collective action problem.

Hogger

Nov 18, 2017
On this forum, in this thread, there are people that think their children won't be able to live in a world not ruined by climate change. It's a horribly negative way to go through life and they likely didn't want kids in the first place.

Joco

Oct 29, 2017
What is hard to understand? The science shows how bad things are getting. I fully expect that the 2020s will be the last "normal" decade before things really completely fall apart.

Having children at this point is in my not so humble opinion here, selfish.

Gpsych

May 20, 2019
Era, as much as I love this place/all of you people, trends towards the people with depression spectrum. I believe there was a poll not too far back where well over half the responders here said they were very unhappy. It's likely that this lens colors a lot of people's viewpoints here.

That being said, climate change is a real issue (the biggest issue IMO) and having a child does increase one's carbon imprint (for the present anyways).

Oct 26, 2017
What is hard to understand? The science shows how bad things are getting. I fully expect that the 2020s will be the last "normal" decade before things really completely fall apart.

Having children at this point is in my not so humble opinion here, selfish.

How will people in Michigan or Colorado be affected by climate change.

To what extent.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
OK, so there's two separate arguments against having kids that I think are being conflated:
1. That it would be cruel to bring a child into this world knowing how shitty things are going to get in the next few decades because of climate change
2. That as a person living in the west, the biggest individual impact you can have on your carbon footprint

#2 is objectively, undeniably true. I think #1 relies on so many assumptions about both the future and the nature of living that it's not even worth seriously considering at this point in time.

Oct 26, 2017
Basically, they're pretending that they're trying to spare their theoretical child from enduring hardships in the future when in actuality, they probably wouldn't have the opportunity to ever have a child in the first place anyway.

Don't worry about it OP, the uhhh... interesting individuals on this forum "abstaining" from reproducing won't result in the end of the human race.

giphy.gif

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Yeah I don't get it either OP, I've only ever seen that sentiment around this forum though.

If a couple told me in person THAT was the reason they weren't having kids I'd have a hard time containing my laughter. To each their own though.

Because the thought of subjecting a child to a world with dwindling resources, raging droughts, storms and floods, and its consequent effects on economy, rise of populism and potential civil unrests, is soooooooooo hilarious.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
It's not hard to understand. In 20 or 30 years the world is going to be a much more unpleasant place to live. You'll be on your way out, but your kids will be stuck living it. I don't necessarily subscribe to this line of thinking, but it makes a certain sense. Pretty similar to people who decide whether or not to have kids based on how the economy (or just their career) is doing, but with climate change there's less chance of things improving in the near-to-middle term.

Status
Not open for further replies.