• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
Nottingham, UK
God forbid people question your media literacy and you bounce yourself out of a forum

In general media literacy is pretty poor (myself included) and there should be no shame regarding that not should people tie their personality to a false sense of it. The appropriate response to someone clearly more literate than yourself in a subject is to listen and ask questions

This has become very clear to me given a number of music threads recently

I still need to give BR2049 another watch, I think I'll get to that soon.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, nothing I said makes sense to people that don't understand what made the original movie good. I get that.

Nah, what you said is garbage. I'm the biggest OG Blade Runner stan I know but your post sounds like it's by someone who watched BR2049 as background noise at best. "Vangelis wannabe"? People who like 2049 also back GitS? Fuck outta here with that nonsense.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
wasn't it in a different city from the first? explaining the scenery change and different architecture. plus it was after a major technological disaster and during an ongoing ecological one?

so at this point rogue android clones were the least of society's worries.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, banned OP, if you're still reading the thread, I agree with you and was also shit on back when the movie came out for saying it. You can't let a dogpile on the Internet get to you.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
Because it just simply is, RO is just dumpster fire with zero character work. ROTS is a goddamn treat. I still enjoy it over TFA too. Again, TFA is the better made film, I won't deny that. But, ROTS I can actually enjoy due to its attempts at originality and telling an acutal grand SPACE OPERA. Whereas TFA is aiming to do nothing more than please the popcorn crowd in as safe a manner as possible. It does its job, but I prefer a film to aim for the stars, even if it misses, than to simply tread water.

Still the most iconically bad take* on this forum, but I've got to admire your chutzpah BossAttack.

I think something most of us are guilty of is swinging between the extremes of understatement and hyperbole to alternately prop up and denigrate the things we like and dislike respectively. You do not in fact regard Rogue One to be a dumpster fire (in your infamous thread I believe you've previously described it as bland), but we often employ exaggeration - sometimes with a layer of comic nonchalance - to make our opinions stand out. Equally, where you used to moderate your appreciation of the divisive Revenge of the Sith in public, you now embrace it as a "goddamn treat" to put your flag in the ground. We all do it. For example, I'm really not a fan of Doctor Who, which in UK nerd circles seems to be a mildly sacrilegious, so sometimes I unconsciously double down on my dislike of it and say silly things like it's absolute garbage or the worst mainstream show the UK has ever produced. When it's not really, is it? I don't think anyone would have remembered your "Revenge of the Sith is OK and Rogue One is OK thread" otherwise.

OP made the classic error of planting his contrarian flag in the ground and made a statement even he didn't really believe was true in an appeal to boldness. Rather than setting the tone of thread with a title like "Blade Runner 2049 does not look as good as the original", he outright said the film does not look good at all and was forced to backtrack and clarify his stance when met with mass resistance. We need to be more nuanced and considered when putting our opinions out there, rather than falling back on lazy shorthand.

*Wink wink

Subpar Scrub

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious how someone that thin skinned even made it to 6k posts.

To be fair, it looks like people delved into his history and other posts to discredit him, which is a shitty and pathetic thing to do when you're debating a topic with someone. Oh well. Come back soon OP, dw about it.

Arkanius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When you post such a bad opinion that you self ban just to try to forget
Jesus christ OP, this thread keeps on giving

JayC3

bork bork
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
This thread seems to have run its course and gone off topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.