• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Flevance

Oct 28, 2017
I'm on the same boat, but I'm gonna get one at some point anyway. There's something I've learned through picking up consoles on day1 and that's you'll end up wasting money on average games just to play something on them, lol; I'm not planning on doing that this time, I might platinum Astro Bot and Demon's Souls, then pick up Assassin's Creed and that's it for now which doesn't seem worth it, so I'm not sure yet about picking it up on launch

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
No reason to buy next gen console until there are a number of exclusive titles you want to play. And if you have a gaming PC with a 2000/3000 Nvidia card or upcoming 6000 series AMD card, there is literally 0 reason to ever own a Xbox Series X and even a PS5 is questionable aside from a few exclusive franchises that will never be ported. Since you already have a PS4, you can play Spider-man Miles Morales and Horizon Forbidden West and some day HFW will be ported to PC (could take 3 years lol). God of War is the first exclusive I am willing to consider a PS5 for and that title will likely be end of 2022 (Sony already announced HFW is second half 2021, that means GoW is definitely a 2022 title).

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
This new gen for me based on what's been shown feels like a refinement of last gen which felt like a refinement of the prior. 3D games reached a base level of competence ( graphics, controls, camera) in the 6th gen and it just feels mostly like every gen since has been adding a shinier coat of paint. Not to undermine things like SSDs, ray tracing and 4k60 being standardized, but I don't know...... the last paradigm shift for mainstream gaming occurred when 2D Sprite games shifted to 3D. You could probably argue 6th gen going to 7th as well ( HD, normalized online gaming, virtual marketplace, achievements/trophies, party chat). We're definitely in diminishing returns territory but it should be noted that 9th gen won't really hit its stride for another 3-4 years.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
I can't wait for the SSDs… I feel like it's going to be similar to using cartridges again.

I've felt like this for the past three generations.
After the transition to 3D, games started to become increasingly iterative.

Gaming has become stale. But, most people don't mind, since we're creatures of habit.

There's always VR - but I can't be bothered to care much about it for many reasons, so that one's totally on me.

Hell, I'm starting to feel gaming isn't for me anymore, let alone next gen.

I'm right there with you.

Just curious - what are your reasons for feeling this way? Are they similar to mine above?

I can't wait for the SSDs… I feel like it's going to be similar to using cartridges again.

It only took us 26 years to get back to where we started from.

I'd be more impressed if I didn't feel like this is how gaming should've been the whole time.

Last edited:

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
Since PS1 which was my first console... RE2 was the first game to play on it as a kid lol.
Well there you have it, you've done this 5 times, of course it doesn't feel the same. It might change, I wasn't so much into next gen in 2013, and this time I'm excited but not as excited as I was with the 360 gen.

You also know more. Like, every time there's bad news or Jim Ryan says something lame, you hear about it. That didn't happen as much in the past.

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
Nope pretty much just you OP. Praying to Jim Ryan Wal-Mart doesn't fuck up my PS5 preorder.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
It only took us 26 years to get back to where we started from.

I'd be more impressed if I didn't feel like this is how gaming should've been the whole time.
Discs opened a lot of doors and benefits that weren't possible on cartridges– most notably imo is soundtracks and audio. Was a huge boost to the epic-ness of games.

Oct 26, 2017
The last five years or so I've realised how little cutting edge graphics means to me. Even those few times I've played those types of games the initial wow wears off after an hour at most and I'm no longer noticing detail. I've gravitated much more towards indie games, more abstract art styles, that kind of stuff.

So yeah, I'm in the same boat OP. Two new consoles are releasing and my interest is absolutely zero.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
I'm right there with you.

Just curious - what are your reasons for feeling this way? Are they similar to mine above?
As for my reasons, its a combination of the direction towards digital becoming more prominent, my two favorite gaming franchises ever latest entries being big let downs back to back and the types of games or genres that I really enjoyed not getting made much anymore compared to prior generations.

I do feel certain aspects of gaming have become stale, but I wouldn't say is the exact or main reason for my decrease of enthusiasm for this hobby. The most fun I've ever had in a gaming generation (the 6th) was after the transition to 3D so I feel we differ in that front.

Discs opened a lot of doors and benefits that weren't possible on cartridges– most notably imo is soundtracks and audio. Was a huge boost to the epic-ness of games.

I guess I never felt that games were not epic to begin with - also, I generally like chip tunes equally as much as non-chiptune CD audio.

I definitely get what you mean, though - It's true that CDs allowed for a LOT more data storage that obviously resulted in some advancements in video games as a whole.

Looking back, though, I don't necessarily enjoy larger, disc-based games more than I enjoy cartridge based games. If anything, cartridges also led to innovation within the limitations of the medium.

As for my reasons, its a combination of the direction towards digital becoming more prominent, my two favorite gaming franchises ever latest entries being big let downs back to back and the types of games or genres that I really enjoyed not getting made much anymore compared to prior generations.

I do feel certain aspects of gaming have become stale, but I wouldn't say is the exact or main reason for my decrease of enthusiasm for this hobby. The most fun I've ever had in a gaming generation (the 6th) was after the transition to 3D so I feel we differ in that front.

I think my reasons also include your reasoning as well - I'm not a big proponent of digital games - or DLC for that matter, and I really miss a lot of genres that either barely exist or just aren't producing as innovative games as previous gens. Shmups are a good example of the latter.

About disc based games - I very much enjoyed the 6th gen, and it was probably the last gen I completely enjoyed.
This may be hyperbole, but I truly do feel like we're on Gen 7, part 3 now.

We've had very similar experiences to that gen for the past 13 years, and I don't really see that changing any time soon.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Xbox is basically selling on day one backward compatibility, and Sony has Demon's Souls and a new controller to try out.

"Next-gen" hasn't even started yet, I can understand not being over the moon at this point.

Smoshow

Oct 25, 2017
Last gen was the first time I was a day 1. Currently I only have a 1080p TV and my back log is so large right now that I can wait while clearing this out. I will probably look to get a PS5 in the spring.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Thinking this next gen is happening too early? What? If anything it's way overdue.

The reason you don't feel "apart of it" is because you're not getting them, which is fine. You say you don't plan to get RE8 and FF16 but that's only cause they aren't launching with the system. Once they start getting closer to release with more hype that itch will start to grow and you'll most likely get excited to pick up a PS5 and play them.

Jun 14, 2019
No big deal, participate if and when you feel like it. I don't know the first damn thing about PS5 or the next Xbox, but I figure I'll eventually find reason to buy one. I assume Gears 6 will eventually be released, for example, and that ought to motivate me some day.

Oct 25, 2017
I'll wait 5-6 years or however long this next gen is to maybe buy a console for cheap
Idk what FOMO feels like and I dont think I ever will

Good4Squat

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I would have bought one if it was available to be to pre-ordered. But it is mainly because of Demon's Souls, and Astro Bot to a lesser degree.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I'm definitely more hyped for ps5 than I was for the ps4. Even if I can't afford one right now just knowing that there are already great games out for it and even more fantastic exclusives on the way next year have me really excited to get my hands on one.

Not to mention all the praise for the dualsense.

AfterCoffee

Feb 18, 2019
im hoping that psvr 2 comes along and is a small, light and cablefree device. then next generation can start for real=)

Oct 25, 2017
i haven't bought a next-gen console on launch since the original wii, and the exclusives for the console have to be extremely compelling for me to purchase it (ie nintendo switch).

pc gaming baby

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
I only have a base PS4, no Pro, so I get an upgrade no matter what. By the time I finish up my enhanced PS4 games and the launch games, there will be plenty more to play from Sony.

Not worried about the price since I don't expect any big discounts any time soon -- PS4 took YEARS to drop in price.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
It isn't just you, I'm in the same boat. I have a solid PC and the launch games are looking too weak and too few. I'll wait until sometime next year. The hype just isn't there for me currently.

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I snagged a 3070 and I'm suddenly not feeling a new console anymore. Or at least not right away. Need more than just Demon's Souls to push me over the edge. Playing PS4 games on a PS5 that I haven't finished might get me furiously F5'ing at midnight on Wednesday though

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
Fortunately these consoles are here for years, which means the best of the library is yet to come. No reason to get these consoles or make a final judgment on them based on what's at launch when 99% of the library has yet to be released or announced. Unless you just don't care for video games anymore...in which case that's a personal problem.

Also current gen consoles are like 7 years old now. It's not early.

VegiHam

Oct 25, 2017
All this 4K and ray tracing stuff just doesn't interest me at all; and with Horizon 2 on PS4 as well I don't see much point in upgrading any time soon. I'll wait until there are lots of next gen only games.

Honestly though I resent the fact that games are becoming more expensive for me because they're spending millions of dollars to trace the rays. I didn't ask for it! Why should I have to pay? Why not just make more games at the same scale games are now instead of constantly pushing for better puddles and bankrupting everyone?

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Quite frankly I am not that hyped. I am getting a Series X mainly because I can transfer everything from my xbox one and continue seamlessly. I don't even have a 4K tv. I guess my games will load faster, that's a plus

Hokey

Oct 29, 2017
I only care about games and I don't see anything on the new consoles (except for Astrobot) that hasn't already been done. I'll jump on the Ps5 as soon as I see something interesting though.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
I havent participated in any next gen since PS2. I pretty much skipped the PS3 gen and only got a PS4 last year. So Im gonna be behind for quite a while. I think Ill probably get a PS5 when they refresh for their mid cycle.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
The only thing that really puzzles me around here in regard to next gen is that while there are of course those of us miserable old gits saying it's the least initially exciting transition yet, there's seemingly a ton of people who are like "I've never been more HYPED"
Which'd be fine in a different strokes way until I'm seeing threads proclaiming this as "is the PS5 more hype than the PS2?!" and OTs for a controller like I missed wii remote levels of hysteria or something, it's at this point then that I REALLY feel like I'm not part of whatever crazy next gen hype trains are pulling out of the station*.
Actually if anything the main thing that put the brakes on this train for me was seeing those new next gen game prices, good grief!

I just want the better loading, which is really just a case of what's old is new again to me.
In any case I'll be there eventually (and maybe even using a series S as a stopgap until PS5) but no real rush as much as the initial bumrush of impressions and those basking in glorious visuals decreased load times might make me sweat a bit as my base PS4 chugs away.

*Then again I'd have said the same last generation with those launch lineups, definitely can see some appeal to PS5's launch and potential launch window compared to what PS4 offered, fortunately we got some cross gen, which I very much appreciate.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
I've had a feeling that gaming is evolving into something which I have zero interest in for the last several years, and next generation which brings about zero new SP IPs with it thus far is just another point on this road. If it will be as much about MP and GAAS as the second half of this gen was then yeah, I doubt that I'll be even buying any of the new consoles.

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
I agree.. I can play Spiderman and Horizon 2 on my Pro and just wait until someday I'll have the need of a PS5 in the future.

I'm not feeling this "next gen" right now. This cross gen period will be long so no hurry to sell my Pro.

PC and my PS4 can do really well for me until 2022.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I'm sorry that I'm not interested in paying half a thousand dollars just to have access to another slate of AAA Western open world checklist games and multiplayer shooters. The hardware is boring, the games are boring, and the onslaught of industry consolidation we're going to see over the next five years is only going to make things worse for everyone.
Who are you even talking to here? This is such tangential overreaction of a response to the person you quoted, and I've seen you make posts similar in other threads. It really reads like you feel personally slighted by there not being games that cater directly to you on Day 1.

Nobody is demanding that you spend $500. It's almost never a good idea to buy consoles at launch. Games that appeal to you will come eventually.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
People need to realize the damage the mid-gen console upgrades have done to the traditional console cycle. Once those were released everything changed, and the manufacturers can't just drop support on new consoles they were selling to people at full price just 1-2 years ago like the Pro and X.

So it's totally unsurprising to me to see people less hyped for these new consoles. There are good, big improvements like SSDs and the haptics but knowing that so many games have to be crossgen because of the upgraded consoles of last gen just makes it more of a continuous generation rather than a whole new thing, at least that's how it feels.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
People need to realize the damage the mid-gen console upgrades have done to the traditional console cycle. Once those were released everything changed, and the manufacturers can't just drop support on new consoles they were selling to people at full price just 1-2 years ago like the Pro and X.

So it's totally unsurprising to me to see people less hyped for these new consoles. There are good, big improvements like SSDs and the haptics but knowing that so many games have to be crossgen because of the upgraded consoles of last gen just makes it more of a continuous generation rather than a whole new thing, at least that's how it feels.
Yeah, this makes sense and I can see why. Never thought of it like that until now.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing since NES and this is the first time I've preordered a console. I'm pretty excited. The excitement has been a nice distraction from everything that's been happening this year.

sorry you're not feeling it, OP

whiteninja

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This upcoming gen is probably the least hyped Ive ever been for consoles and I kinda think the strength of pc gaming might be a big factor in that. The only "exclusive" game for the foreseeable future I can show any interest in is FF16 but even that Im a bit tempered on (and there will probably be pc version later on anyway). Of course on pc the absurd price of videocards is the only thing that might push me back towards a console.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Generations are nice and all but being a primarily PC gamer it doesn't have the same weight for me as it does for console gamers.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
This upcoming gen is probably the least hyped Ive ever been for consoles and I kinda think the strength of pc gaming might be a big factor in that. The only "exclusive" game for the foreseeable future I can show any interest in is FF16 but even that Im a bit tempered on (and there will probably be pc version later on anyway). Of course on pc the absurd price of videocards is the only thing that might push me back towards a console.
Heck even getting a new video card is tougher to do these days.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
I started gaming when I got an NES for Christmas in 1986 and I have never been less excited about a new generation of consoles.
Wii U/PS4/Xbone was the least exciting for me. Wii U was a dud, the other two were boring weak X86 CPUs with the same franchises and just looked and felt like the whole thing was PS360 DLC. First time I ever skipped out a gen, apart from getting a Switch.

This new one is at least a bigger jump in power. May get a PS5 when they release a less ugly revision.

FourSerioux

Nov 1, 2017
I had absolutely no hype for this batch of systems through the summer, but once the marketing cycles heated up I just got pumped up again. I have a XSX pre-ordered and will be trying to snag a PS5 online on the 12th; I suddenly switched out to being all in. Maybe it's just because of how this year has gone, but I'm really looking forward to jumping into these new systems, even if most of the games are cross gen.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
I mean you don't have to. If there are no games of your interest than you don't need a new console unless you want to have a new shiny toy (for no other reason).

And I can absolutely understand if someone's not interested, at least at launch. There are like 7 launch exclusives for the PS5 and I'm only slightly interested in two of them.

Just wait and see how it is in a year or two. As long as you enjoy your games you already have or coming to PS4, you're fine.