• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

EndlessNever

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of stuff comes into play with this type of thing, what the general age is, have they kids and/or other responsibilities that take up their time, etc. In my own job at least, barely anyone actually plays console/PC games. It's fine though, I make an effort to show an interest in something they like and hope they do the same with me.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Even with jobs I had in the '90s, video games weren't an uncommon topic.

What makes me feel out of place sometimes are boards like this where it's very hard to get any conversation traction on pre-1990s games, especially stuff before the NES. I figured a massive enthusiast board would have more people willing to play games before their time.

Last edited:

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017
I don't bring it up unless someone else does, and the vast majority of my friends aren't gamers. It really do be like that.

Barely Able

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I work at a job where the next closest person in age to me is 50, with most being in their 60s. This means most don't know much about video games outside of Mario on the NES it Pac-Man. I did work for a Japanese company pre-graduate school (during the height of the Wii and DS era), so gaming at lunch and Wii Sports/Mario Kart/ Rock band we're basically at every work party. Really depends on the demographics I would say.

MrT-Tar

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
I work in London for a major accountancy firm, within a young-ish team of circa 45 people and I was surprised how "niche" gaming is in general. I'm the only current gamer that I'm aware of, but somebody mentioned playing Sonic the Hedgehog and Ecco the Dolphin as a child, and somebody else previously had a Wii.

You should have seen the looks and heard the remarks when my gaming purchases are delivered to the office, especially when my imported Shin Megami Tensei and Tactics Ogre art books arrived!

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Video games aren't particularly niche in general but unfortunately, most of the ones I like are. Like video games are incredibly popular sure but bring up Danganronpa to the guy in the office who plays Fortnite and he's probably not gonna have a clue what you're talking about. Which is sad, cause Danganronpa is fucking awesome.

dark_prinny

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Only 1 person in my entire office plays video games. And just shooters.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
Some people are still shy about discussing gaming at work. To get a feel for where your co-workers land, maybe have an after hours meetup at a barcade and see who actually plays the games.

Nov 8, 2017
I remember telling someone at work about The Last of Us without mentioning it was a videogame. They were very interested. Then when I mentioned it was a videogame they lost all interest. Fuckers aren't worth talking to.

Also I'm in a tech company and there's still only a small minority of people into games.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
Owning a console is pretty rare in my office - I'm the only one out of almost twenty people. My boss does have a Steam account for playing SpaceChem.

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
Just mentioning that I own a Switch feels like I'm speaking in some weird alien language, so I don't even bother bringing up anything gaming related.

SigArthor7

Feb 11, 2018
OP: I completely get where you're coming from. I work in law enforcement.
A lot of my friends play video games (we work in the same organization, but different offices). In my office, only myself and another guy I know play video games. But he plays CoD/Fortnite types mostly.

But yeah, most people watch netflix/movies/sports (I do too). I've found the older I get, the less time I have to play video games since after work I'm at the gym for a while.

Deleted member 17210

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just mentioning that I own a Switch feels like I'm speaking in some weird alien language, so I don't even bother bringing up anything gaming related.
It's kind of amazing to me how well the Switch is selling considering I have only seen one being used in public once in over two years. It's not talked about anywhere near as much as the Wii was, in my experience.

Deleted member 56752

Banned
May 15, 2019
As I've gotten older with a more time consuming, real person job, I can see why. It sucks to be in your room after being in your office for 40-50 hours every week (minimum). I have actually really enjoyed going outside, trying new foods, beer, etc.

My passion for gaming is becoming increasingly satiated through a couple YouTube videos and going on reddit a few times a day. Call me a loser, idk. I still buy and play games where I can. It's just becoming harder and harder to sit down and waste 5 of my free 6 hours a day on games inside.

hanshen

Jun 24, 2018
Chicago, IL
Architect here.
Most of my coworkers play video games. Actually most of themhave both PS4 and Switch. We sometimes play Smash or Mario Kart on the 70" tv in the meeting room.

Drakhyrr

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
I know how you feel. I work at a very large engineering company, with hundreds of engineers. I don't really know most of them, of course, but from people that I know, there's a dozen at most who have consoles, and besides me, only one who knows, for example, what E3 is. It's also a very conservative environment overall.

From what I've seen in forums, most gamers seem to end up in IT or related areas. Maybe aerospace was not such a good choice after all.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually the exact opposite. People at my job who I would have never expected to play games, or at least anything beyond CoD, Madden, etc., have come up to me and talked about games like Death Stranding.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
After 20, I have never met anyone who likes video games, at all. They don't care or look down on them, which is why I keep my gaming experiences as an activity that I pretty much hide from people. The whole "PLAY WITH FRIENDS YAY" mantra I see every MP game around sounds like a fairy tale for me.

Still, it's weird that binging a Netflix series for ten hours straight is okay and playing videogames isn't, lol.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Playing Madden or war shit is acceptable. Telling a stranger about Undertale is still fuckin nerdy.

This is what it was like regarding console RPGs until Sony came along and said that it was "OK" for everyone to now play or some shit back in '97. That was just within the realm of those that already played video games in general too.

Compared to other forms of entertainment it is pretty expensive.

In isolation maybe, but it's cheaper than going to see a movie if you're averaging cost per hour. It's cheaper than most event like time wasters, and it's better than blowing it at a local bar. I guess it's more expensive than bug collecting though.
/shrug

Last edited:

Xena

Oct 25, 2017
I work in a genetics lab and a lot of us play games. Marketing even made our lab-week shirt game-themed.

DeathPeak

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't say playing video games is a continuously expensive hobby. It's expensive to get into though. Once you have a system, it all depends on the games you want to play and how often you want to buy. It can be expensive to buy games at launch, but most games become relatively cheap after a few months. Not to mention there are plenty of games you can play for free (albeit in a limited form if you don't want to buy bonus perks and such). A good chunk of games are cheaper than concert or sporting event tickets. Most of my coworkers just aren't interested. It bums me out, but it is what it is.

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't call games niche, honestly. Kinda depends on your job. I worked at Starbucks for a few years and there was one guy there wgo played games. At my current restaurant there are a good 6 people who play games and talk about them. I struggle finding people to talk about sports with.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think you can call an industry that makes more than music and Hollywood combined every year niche. It just seems like your place of work doesn't have many people who talk about video games.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I'm the only one who plays video games in my family, at least to the degree of keeping up to date on gaming news and posting about them online. I don't think I've ever worked with anyone in the last 10+ years who is into them either. I also caught up with an old friend recently who used to be majorly into them and they told me how they doesn't really have time for them anymore. Some of my other friends were never that into them.

Only place I talk about games these days are with online friends.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I don't / can't bring up videogames at all with people outside maybe 1 or 2 friends I know

My boss loves Football any causal conversation with him will have to be about football, politics, customer, or the gym

And if there is somebody that games they're usually the typical NBA2k, or Fifa guy :/

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
The worst part is when you realize than the stigma is /more or less justified/.

Video Games, out of all the entertainment forms, is the one that brings you almost no benefits. Music? It's almost always an expression of feelings and stuff so you get to realize how other people feel and what they relate to. TV? It's almost trash ter entertainment, but in the end you're, somehow, knowing things about the outside world. Movies? They're short, and most of them have some kind of narrative value.

Videogames? They are super expensive, they take hours of almost complete isolation, they're narratively vapid, they require physical inactivity, they're centered about violence and mindless repeating of tasks, they seldom have something to say AND they teach you nothing while robbing you of valuable time to do, well, something, anything else.

"BUT MY ONLINE FRIENDS!" you say, dude, literally homeless people make friends too, it's not hard to make friends when you're with other people.

I love videogames, but it's the same way I love Doritos and weed. I know they're bad. I know. I just don't care. At least sometimes. Sometimes I look at my videogame collection and think of the nose job I could have had with the money I spent on it, or the loves and friends I could have made, or the new things I could have learned and I cry a little bit.

But you'll take my console from my dead cold hands, too.
Other than helping me to learn English (which you can tell from my posts it didn't do a stellar job), I can agree with this comment. Videogames are not a positive activity in my life and I am aware of how badly I'm wasting my time when I'm indulging to some late night playing when I get back from work.

Since I come home around 11PM, I don't have the energy to workout, read or whatever, I just want to play some stupid shit before going to bed. It's a completely useless hobby that I like, but won't say it's actually helpful whatsoever in my life. Not sure if you were writing a joke post, but as time goes by, I try to play videogames less and reading old GAF / ResetERA decreased my liking towards them a lot and have started to dislike it severely. Sometimes I truly loathe to think how much time I spent playing fucking Gears of War 3 online, haha.

Oct 25, 2017
When it comes down to sacrificing things that rob you of your focus, kideo games are usually the first to go. Lots of people game in moderation, but here you're among a lot of people with no control, so the norm is that yeah people still game, but they have their priorities in order and maybe don't even play every day.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
It's your office trust me. There are 30-40 people in my office and I'm the only one that watches sports. Every work place can reveal some weird things.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
gaming is slowly aging up, but if you're 30 or so you're def relatively old for a traditional gamer (console/pc, multiple games per year)

this is slowly changing. streaming will help. olds love to stream

Prine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was common at school and even Uni, but yeah, in the workplace and in social circles its looked down upon. I've had to hide it from girls I've been with, until they fall in love, then it's a beautiful characteristic of mine lol.

DyByHands

Jul 16, 2018
I work in an office setting, and the woman who I sat beside a few months ago, would watch fortnite videos on her phone throughout the day. I was kind of surprised.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
You know what's worse than not knowing people that play video games? Knowing some that only want to play nothing but the same third-person shooters ad nauseam. One of my neighbors knocked on my door one night, asking me if I might want to play some "video games", and I was a little dumbstruck, but agreed. My mistake.

I've tried introducing this person to I've lost count of how many different games and genres, but he never wants to play anything else, and I find Gears, Halo, CoD etc extremely boring after one playthrough. He'll even sometimes just want to play online for hours with other people in the room watching, and it wouldn't be too terrible if he actually knew what he was doing, but he just repeatedly dies and respawns like it's Edge of Tomorrow. Except without learning anything.

On a side note, my soon to be sixty year old aunt has been relatively hardcore with games since around '92.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
A "Niche hobby"...that makes more money than the movie industry. 75% of American households have at least one gamer in them. 65% of American adults play games.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
It is a fairly expensive hobby, obviously it won't be for everyone.

Is it though?

I find the hours of entertainment value I get out of game purchases crushes what my friends do. Golf clubs, sailing clubs, even art (JFC art supplies are expensive), sports leagues, even just film lovers who go see arthouse films with a few drinks each week are plunking down $100 a night after taxes, tips, concessions and tickets. Dinner is a whole nother thing.

Idk. I find the entertainment return on investment really high for gaming.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
I work in a hospital, the staff age demographic skews 40+, so no, no one plays video games here lol.

One time a student nurse that I knew from community college 12 years ago approached me at work and was like, "hey, remember when you were playing Tales of Symphonia?" and I could have strangled him for giving me away as a gamer in front of my 60 y.o work mates.

Another time, I had a young woman and her boyfriend as patients in the ED unit. They were watching Vinesauce and I said I watched that too and they looked at me in awe and wonder like I was a rare ancient gamer woman.

ZiggyPalffyLA

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Los Angeles, California
Put something video game related on a desk. I made a comment on a Jack Frost on someone desk and found we have similar gaming taste.

Hasn't worked for me. I've had Pokémon stuff all over my desk for years and never once had anyone say anything about it lol

The worst part is when you realize than the stigma is /more or less justified/.

This is the only part of your post I agree with. It's true, you go to any gaming convention or wait outside a store for a midnight launch, and you can see why people don't want to be associated with gaming. The majority of gamers are relatively unattractive (mostly due to lack of effort), lacking in hygiene, and just generally incredibly socially awkward.

Deleted member 17210

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One time a student nurse that I knew from community college 12 years ago approached me at work and was like, "hey, remember when you were playing Tales of Symphonia?" and I could have strangled him for giving me away as a gamer in front of my 60 y.o work mates.
It helps to not give a shit about people knowing you play games. I'm middle aged and when people ask me if I still play video games, I say "Yeah, and I still watch movies and read books, too".

Deleted member 13560

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It depends on the job and environment. Where I work everyone either plays videogames, Dungeons and Dragons, and/or Magic: The Gathering.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
I work in a hospital, the staff age demographic skews 40+, so no, no one plays video games here lol.
22% of female baby boomers play video games, and have been playing games for 25+ years. So don't be so sure (I wasn't able to find statistics for male baby boomers).

A LOT of people still saw them as kids things or adults who didn't grew up.
Since 65% of American adults play games, that "lot" of people are the minority. And are clueless considering most gamers are in their 30's.