• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
With the new systems out and me unable to get a PS5 at the moment (which is kind of funny in an ironic way since I have a game coming out for PS5 soon), I thought I'd pull out some of my old systems and enjoy them. After all, I have plenty of older games that I haven't finished or enjoyed and would probably enjoy replaying. Unfortunately, I've run into snags.

Wanted to replay Siren: Blood Curse on the PS3, but it turns out my only PS3 controller is seriously messed up (randomly acts like buttons are being held down). Turns out that PS4 controllers do work on the PS3, but the waggle doesn't work and Siren: Blood Curse uses that for a few things. Luckily, the waggle stuff is non-essential (it just makes the game easier since it's stuff like freeing yourself from enemies), but it's still been a pain.

Wanted to replay Lost Odyssey on the Xbox 360 and out of my 2 controllers, one doesn't turn on at all and the other one randomly shuts off every few minutes. Lost Odyssey is turn-based so this is still playable, but it's a pain and I'm worried that the controller might die entirely mid-playthrough. Unlike the PS3, what I see online says that the 360 isn't compatible in any way with later controllers and I've heard mixed reports about the reliability of 3rd party controllers.

Love my Vita, but I have an original model and the charger cable doesn't work so I can't use the system. I bought a 3rd party replacement charger & that worked for only a few weeks before it died as well.

With the Vita, I could buy a new Vita-2000 since those use standardized cords to charge them, but it looks like new Vita-2000 systems go for around $350-$400 these days since they're discontinued. You can find used ones for cheaper, but then you have the worry that the system isn't in good condition and will breaker sooner than later.

With the 360, I could replace it with a newer model since there's backwards compatibility, but I've got a good gaming PC and prefer gaming on the PC to consoles anyway, so I'd really just be using it for original Xbox & 360 exclusives, along with Rare Replay. I'm in Mexico which has heavy taxes on electronics so for example, Amazon Mexico is currently running a sale on Xbox One S for about $250-$300 USD and that looks like it's as good as it gets unless you risk used. An Xbox Series S here costs over $400 USD (and I would have to rebuy physical games digitally and some of my old stuff isn't available digitally) and if I ever see a PS5 in the wild, even the Digital-only Edition would cost over $500 USD.

Sorry, I just felt like ranting a bit since it's really frustrating to be in the mood to play a game you already own and then find out you can't. Anyone else run into these problems and found a good solution? Or do you just bite the bullet and spend a bunch of money?

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
you could try opening the ps3 controller and cleaning the button contacts and replacing the rubber that presses on the pcb contacts. they wear out overtime or get sticky

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
In Monterrey there are physical stores with used stuff. you can try the controllers and accessories before paying for them. If something breaks you can at least try to return it or change it.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have a 3rd party Vita cable and, while it is not as reliable as the original, does get the job done. And the controller issue seems easily fixable, although I suppose you ought to regularly give them a go in order to avoid damage from being left unattended.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'd take apart the 360 and DS3 and give them a clean. You'd be surprised how that can usually solve the majority of problems.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
This is my big worry with the Wii U in particular. That Gamepad is going to be impossible to replace one day. More than any other standard controller.

I guess the good news is that there's barely anything left on the system worth playing, that can't be played elsewhere.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is my big worry with the Wii U in particular. That Gamepad is going to be impossible to replace one day. More than any other standard controller.

I guess the good news is that there's barely anything left on the system worth playing, that can't be played elsewhere.
This is a worry for me on all the internal battery based controllers/consoles. I've stocked up on a few replacement batteries for my Wii U. I regret not doing the same for my 3DS

OP
OP
werezompire

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017

Yeah, I have a WiiU and everything still works, but that worries me as well. Hopefully Nintendo ports the remaining notable releases to the Switch (Xenoblade X and the Zelda remasters being the big ones IMO).

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
one way to solve the controller issue is to buy an adapter like this one and use any compatible controller with it. i play PS3 and PS4 both using this adapter and a 8BitDo SN30Pro+ since this controller holds charge longer than either console's original controllers and i want to have fewer things laying around.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I know exactly how you feel. I bought a used Wii u, and it came with a bunch of accessories, but most of it is already busted in some way. The Wii more had the Wii motion plus inside it, but it simply didn't worked, keep being calibrating forever. Never could play Zelda as because of it. The Wii gamepad had problems in both triggers, so i replaced. The Wii u pro controller died on me and no repair shop was able to fix it. It's really frustrating.

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
I'm lucky that most of my stuff is in good enough condition for that to not be an issue. But I encountered a similar problem a few months ago when I realised my PSP's battery blew, and unfortunately the only reliable option left for a new one is to mod the console by removing the UMD tray and inserting a large battery pack in there. I mean I have a Vita so I probably wouldn't use my PSP for anything anyway, but it's a shame that the console's basically useless in its original form now. Hasn't happened to any of my other rechargeable handhelds, but it's quite worrying tbh. A Wii U pro controller I got when I bought a Wii U last year also had a blown battery and I had to get a dodgy replacement (luckily it came with a second Pro Controller). At least they're easily removable, unlike PlayStation controllers.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm always a little suspect when people say their stuff breaks/doesn't work, but only because I've been lucky enough to have nothing break

I still play and have working PS3 controllers, I played Blood Dragon on my PS3 with a controller I must have put well over 1000 hours into, back in September this year. My Vita still works and was being used daily at work on my lunch breaks until lockdown

My Gamecube and Wii stuff still works, my N64 stuff even still works. I replayed Mario 64 on my 1997 N64 on a controller from 1997 in 2015 I think

I do always treat my controllers, games and systems with care, and always have. All my N64 games are still in pristine condition boxes

I've seen friends and others throw stuff around, leave controllers resting on the sticks, leave things out to get dusty etc, and they're always the same people who seem to tear though consoles and controllers

It might be that I've just got really lucky though, I'm sure something will break on me at some point, but part of me always thinks, if someone is on their 4th or 5th controller and 3rd system, maybe they're a part of the problem

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I hear you OP. I'd still like to hope it'll last longer than digital though - like if my N64 still mostly works outside of needing to replace some control sticks, that seems longer lasting than I expect digital to be.

I just had that PS3 controller issue crop up and apparently it's common and fixable seems like a pretty serious design flaw due to some foam wearing down no one ever mentions. I still have to give it a go myself, but maintenance is kind of an unavoidable chore and also something you have to budget for, I think. I recently fixed my DS Lite's shoulder buttons by disassembling it and scraping oxidation from some tiny discs and it was kind of satisfying accomplishing that surgery, makes you feel like a wizard. Repairing newer consoles with disc drives and hard drives and batteries is daunting though.

This is a worry for me on all the internal battery based controllers/consoles. I've stocked up on a few replacement batteries for my Wii U. I regret not doing the same for my 3DS

Don't batteries go bad if you don't use them? Is stockpiling like this workable?

Yeah, I have a WiiU and everything still works, but that worries me as well. Hopefully Nintendo ports the remaining notable releases to the Switch (Xenoblade X and the Zelda remasters being the big ones IMO).

Seems super optimistic to hope for ports to make an older console obsolete, only boring mainstream gamers would say that and pretend unlikely-to-be-ported gems like Nintendo Land or Star Fox Guard could be forgotten :P

OP
OP
werezompire

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I'm always a little suspect when people say their stuff breaks/doesn't work, but only because I've been lucky enough to have nothing break

I still play and have working PS3 controllers, I played Blood Dragon on my PS3 with a controller I must have put well over 1000 hours into, back in September this year. My Vita still works and was being used daily at work on my lunch breaks until lockdown

My Gamecube and Wii stuff still works, my N64 stuff even still works. I replayed Mario 64 on my 1997 N64 on a controller from 1997 in 2015 I think

I do always treat my controllers, games and systems with care, and always have. All my N64 games are still in pristine condition boxes

I've seen friends and others throw stuff around, leave controllers resting on the sticks, leave things out to get dusty etc, and they're always the same people who seem to tear though consoles and controllers

It might be that I've just got really lucky though, I'm sure something will break on me at some point, but part of me always thinks, if someone is on their 4th or 5th controller and 3rd system, maybe they're a part of the problem

If this was new stuff, you might have a point, but equipment breaking after around a decade doesn't indicate that the person was mistreating their stuff.

Oh and my near-launch (bought it in the first year) Vita itself that I've used extensively still works, it's the charger cable that's the issue. Guess I'll just order some more 3rd party cords and hope for the best.

Also, what kind of environment do you live in? For the past several years, I've lived in cities with high humidity and that's not great for electronics.

Last edited:

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
If this was new stuff, you might have a point, but equipment breaking after around a decade doesn't indicate that the person was mistreating their stuff.

Also, what kind of environment do you live in? For the past several years, I've lived in cities with high humidity and that's not great for electronics.

Yeah just thinking about it I didn't mean to imply you have mistreated your stuff, and I live in the UK so we have pretty low humidity and that could be a factor too

I've probably jinxed myself with that post anyway and within a year I bet something does break on me

Just for example though, I've borrowed GameCube games from friends recently that just don't work, the discs are scratched up whereas mine are all fine, and my girlfriends brother (he's 16) is literally on his 3rd PS4 and 5th DS4 because his keep breaking, whereas my Pro and single DS4 still work as if they were new. I've also seen friends literally throw disc games in cases around and that stuff blows my mind

Also whenever I do look for any games second hand, the boxes are always scratched to shit, covered in coffee stains, bent out of shape and covered in grime, and it just makes me think what the hell are most people doing with their games? A game box is literally there to be opened and closed, and then left somewhere safe. Same with controllers. When I use someone else's controller it just feels awful most of the time, as if they've been pinging the sticks and mashing the buttons. Everything feels loose and mushy.

I'm probably just overly careful with my stuff though

Oct 26, 2017
I usually take good care of my stuff. Aside from controller malfunctions which I had on almost every single console I owned with the exception of the SNES and Wii. My WiiU Gamepad charging cable just disintegrated the cable sleeve just started clumping and flaking off. Basically exposed the naked wires. Rubbish stuff.

Other than that I have been very lucky with the longevity of my console hardware and accessories.

GreenMonkey

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
I thought this thread was gonna be about OLD game accessories, ha. Not like 360/PS3 era.

Finding good SNES/Genesis controllers is really hard now. Harder than NES IMO. Had to take apart a couple of SNES controllers and swap parts to get one good one, when I bought by Super NT.

OEM PS3 controllers, I have to admit, though, have been hard to find for a while. Assume a lot of them got thrown out when their batteries died...only reason there could be such a shortage IMO.

My fairly rare Xbox 360 controller with the fancy raise-able dpad still works fine, but I have had a lot of attrition on Xbox controllers (I have two Xbone controllers with broken shoulder issues, and can't swap parts because of the continual tweaks they made to the controller).
Most games work on the Xbone via BC better now anyway, don't they