• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Genuinely great scene. Family Guy shines when they do scenes like this. People like Seth MacFarlane, Trey Stone, Matt Parker can churn out some funny stuff but they just resolve to make cheap transphobic, homophobic, or racist jokes.

Even though Seth doesn't work on the show anymore, the show Iirc in one of the more recent seasons did acknowledge (Peter actually saying it) that they were trying to make strives to not do that humor. No idea if it ended up being true or not.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe people should watch the scene and take a moment to examine it with a critical lens before going,"That's me in *so and so piece of popular media" thread. Peter is just being a contrarian with no actual point other than the never elaborated upon criticism of "it insists upon itself". Sure you can point out he gets dogpiled pretty fast by the rest of the family and his reaction might be kneejerk but there is no merit to his argument, what little of it there is, and he just seems to be stirring the pot. So unless you're the person who goes into threads and blurts out,"I don't like this" and when confronted can't even come up with a half assed excuse why then maybe don't agree that you're Peter in this context.

I love how this could actually be a bit

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
I've 100% screamed "Robert Duvall" at people who haven't seen or didn't enjoy The Godfather. And I didn't see it myself until my damn near my mid 20s. Went in ultra cynical too because of just that, people shitting themselves over it, and yeah, no, they're right. 1 & 2 are flawless films.

Also this is me with any Mario game outside of maybe 2 and 64.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've 100% screamed "Robert Duvall" at people who haven't seen or didn't enjoy The Godfather. And I didn't see it myself until my damn near my mid 20s. Went in ultra cynical too because of just that, people shitting themselves over it, and yeah, no, they're right. 1 & 2 are flawles films.

Also this is me with any Mario game outside of maybe 2 and 64.
3? MARIO FUCKING 3? SUPER MARIO 3? PAPER MARIO?

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe people should watch the scene and take a moment to examine it with a critical lens before going,"That's me in *so and so piece of popular media" thread. Peter is just being a contrarian with no actual point other than the never elaborated upon criticism of "it insists upon itself". Sure you can point out he gets dogpiled pretty fast by the rest of the family and his reaction might be kneejerk but there is no merit to his argument, what little of it there is, and he just seems to be stirring the pot. So unless you're the person who goes into threads and blurts out,"I don't like this" and when confronted can't even come up with a half assed excuse why then maybe don't agree that you're Peter in this context.

See I don't entirely agree with this, I don't think he is being contrarian for the sake of being contrarian because of the context.

Obviously it's a gag in an animated series but it's a "final moments" scene. He's knows the reaction he's going to get for his genuine feelings towards the movie. This wasn't just said in a normal situation to solicit that reaction or show off, it's a revelation that he hasn't said before precisely because he knows people will disagree with him.

He can't launch a genuine criticism on it because his feelings come from a place of subjectivity and not objectivity, which is a wider conversation in itself. He even acknowledges the talent involved with the film but he personally cannot derive enjoyment or enlightenment from it.

The people saying "Lol that's me in ____" threads are also having a light hearted joke about the scene and their own subjective opinions of item a, b or c. We're all thinking a bit too hard about this.

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
One of my favorite FG scenes. The whole 'insisting' argument back and forth is amazing, plus Chris' escalation of, "Robert DeNiro, Al Pacino... I mean, you never see -- ROBERT DUVALL!"

(I can't watch movies with Robert Duvall without hearing Chris scream his name in my head, lol.)

lemonhat

Dec 6, 2018
Totally agree. Never even bothered to watch the second film. Thanks to noticing all the bits the Simpsons parodied I wasn't able to take it very seriously though. Laughed through a lot of it.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
a278eba9-7db4-4e07-bf94-76a42bdd8c93.jpg

Era Uma Vez

Feb 5, 2020
Ahahah, I'm rolling with the replies here.
Only in this forum can a thread about a random clip in some TV Show turn into a beacon for people to come in and brag (one more time) about how they dislike a game that is loved by the general public.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I 100% get that, but I nevertheless am perpetually mildly disappointed how few people seem to want to substantiate their opinions with arguments. Especially since people seem to also think simply saying they don't like something and throwing out maybe one arbitrary reason is enough to be a discussion point. All I can say is that imagine how different this board would be if there was a mandate to atleast have a paragraph explaining why they think whatever they're opinion is in detail.

Also it's surprising to me how this seems to apply to literature more than movies or TV shows. You'd think it'd be the reverse, but I see more poorly substantiated takes on books than I do with other mediums.

It's because you're forced to read certain acclaimed literature in school. You aren't ever really forced to watch acclaimed movies or TV shows. Thus, you get more "The Grapes of Wrath sucked" or "The Great Gatsby is overrated" than "I did not care for The Godfather" or "Lawrence of Arabia is long and boring."

CarpeDeezNutz

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I like The Godfather and I also thought the family guy bit was funny. I think the best part about The Godfather trilogy was part two when we see a young fat Tony raising through the ranks.