• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BowieZ

Nov 7, 2017
I personally am obsessed with trading cards, and Pokémon designs too, but I really just don't like the existing Trading Card Game card designs. In my opinion, they're kinda garish, and cluttered. And there's obviously too many to really consider collecting.

So I set out to design my own set, for my two nephews (and also myself of course), with the intent on creating just one card per Pokémon (regional variants separate), while maintaining a clean, simple, consistent but still colorful and detailed set. They each use the official art and 'dex icon, but everything else including the logo is original. (The logo is "Pokémon ULTIMATE Pokédex Trading Card Series".)

This also means we are assured of collecting a full set without spending thousands =p

It's taken about a month so far, with some finishing touches to go, and I need to wait until the rest of Gen VIII is announced before I hit print. I am also going to design rare "shiny" versions that use print with special foil. Thoughts? :)

Comparison of Greninja and Solgaleo cards. (Mine in the middle.)

S6qTtG6.png

Preview of the full pokédeck:

signal

Oct 28, 2017
The card layout is cool, though I think on those examples I like the art in the original more.

Saturday

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The fuck, dude? This is amazing effort. I know you said you're not printing these out yet but do you have a online album of these to pour over?

James3D

Oct 25, 2017
Respect. I heard about a guy that did this in prison for himself and his fellow inmates to play.

WaveBird

Oct 29, 2017
I've spent a lot of time and money on making my own cards feel like proper TCG cards. I've worked on making a present for my brother for a few years now but never got the feel right. I'm interested in what you've gone with because hell, it took me a chunk of change just to get the proper circular edges correct.

Papertoonz

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I personally am obsessed with trading cards, and Pokémon designs too, but I really just don't like the existing Trading Card Game card designs. In my opinion, they're kinda garish, and cluttered. And there's obviously too many to really consider collecting.

So I set out to design my own set, for my two nephews (and also myself of course), with the intent on creating just one card per Pokémon (regional variants separate), while maintaining a clean, simple, consistent but still colorful and detailed set. They each use the official art and 'dex icon, but everything else including the logo is original. (The logo is "Pokémon ULTIMATE Pokédex Trading Card Series".)

and that's why you won't even make money from this business, listen this is a neat project and all but i can tell you have some things wrong, like i can see you have an icon for Pseudo-legendary pokemon but not all the pseudos have it

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit

Sidenote: I remember you from the comments section of GoNintendo like a lifetime ago lol

THube

Oct 27, 2017
and that's why you won't even make money from this business, listen this is a neat project and all but i can tell you have some things wrong, like i can see you have an icon for Pseudo-legendary pokemon but not all the pseudos have it

Did OP say they wanted to make money off of this?? Weirdly condescending comment.

Deleted member 34873

User-requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
A little too sterile for my tastes but I can absolutely appreciate the dedication and am sure your nephews will love them.

milkyway

One Winged Slayer
May 17, 2018
Wow these look like they could be amiibo cards or something, like the Animal Crossing ones. Sell them to Nintendo lol.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

Nice effort OP reminds me of the old trading cards from Topps

THube

Oct 27, 2017
These look awesome, OP! I've never considered the idea of these cards getting a redesign-- it's such a classic design --but you've done an amazing job. I love how the evolutionary line is included : )

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
That's neat! But aren't you missing the text that explains how the moves and abilities work, or did I miss where that's listed on the card? Or is this intended to be just a set of trading cards, i.e. you can't use these cards to play? If so, then never mind.

I enjoy the retro baseball card look to some of the elements like the banners in the top left!

Nov 17, 2017
I think the graphic design elements are better in some ways. It's less cluttered but I think it loses all its appeal when you just put the stock character art there. Interesting illustrations are what make trading cards worth collecting in my opinion. Without them, the cards feel lifeless and sterile.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, your nephews are lucky to have such a dedicated uncle!

Are the cards meant for just collecting or is there a game attached as well? The text at the bottom is too small for me to read, but it seems like it's a small blurb about the Pokemon?

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The layout is really nice, definitely an improvement. The only thing I don't like is the background. I would rather have unique illustrations for each card (which is obviously not possible for a regular person to do)

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Dude, you should be getting paid for this!

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
They're definitely well made and I like all of the extra details you've included about the Pokemon.

The main reason I like trading cards is FOR the unique art, though. I'll deal with the cluttered layout for that.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I like the layout, but unless I'm missing something did you just completely get rid of the actual game part of the cards? I'm not seeing the abilities on them. I also don't really like the font used for the names. Obviously the art itself is better on the originals, but as placeholders yours aren't bad.

Yours seem less Trading Card Game and more Trading Cards/more in line with the old Topps series.

91Cn8v0qYHL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

OP
OP
BowieZ

BowieZ

Nov 7, 2017
It's presumably illegal to sell them lol.

I do intend to make the finished version 100% accurate though. As I said this is just a preview and finishing touches are to come.

Which pseudos should have the icon? I was going by as strict a definition as I could find but it seems some are contested or fan-designated.

I like the layout, but unless I'm missing something did you just completely get rid of the actual game part of the cards? I'm not seeing the abilities on them. I also don't really like the font used for the names. Obviously the art itself is better on the originals, but as placeholders yours aren't bad.

Yours seem less Trading Card Game and more Trading Cards and more in line with the old Topps series.
Damn, your nephews are lucky to have such a dedicated uncle!

Are the cards meant for just collecting or is there a game attached as well? The text at the bottom is too small for me to read, but it seems like it's a small blurb about the Pokemon?
Yeah it's not intended to be a game. Just trading cards. :)

The text is currently there to explain the evolution chain with some notes about how special items would work to change forms etc. It's all about economizing space. I am not 100% on what text to include if any. But I like the idea of promoting reading to my nephews.

Sep 14, 2019

This also means we are assured of collecting a full set without spending thousands =p

It's taken about a month so far, with some finishing touches to go, and I need to wait until the rest of Gen VIII is announced before I hit print. I am also going to design rare "shiny" versions that use print with special foil. Thoughts? :)

Comparison of Greninja and Solgaleo cards. (Mine in the middle.)

S6qTtG6.png

Preview of the full pokédeck:

OP, I'm curious...

Would you ever be interested in designing trading cards for an expandable card game?

Asking for a friend 😅

Papertoonz

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
It's presumably illegal to sell them lol.

I do intend to make the finished version 100% accurate though. As I said this is just a preview and finishing touches are to come.

Which pseudos should have the icon? I was going by as strict a definition as I could find but it seems some are contested or fan-designated.

i was just joking and all, TCGs need to make money and to make money they have to make more cards no matter what so giving a hard limit would go against that

anyway the pseudos lines are Dragonite, Tyranitar, Salamance, Metagross, Garchomp, Hydreigon, Goodra, Komm-o and Dragapult

and those aren't from fan terms cause TPC put out a merch line awhile back with them all in it called Late Bloomers

Gen_VII_Pseudo_Legendary_Artwork.png

Sword and Shield weren't out yet so Dragapult wasn't included in it

OP
OP
BowieZ

BowieZ

Nov 7, 2017
the pseudos lines are Dragonite, Tyranitar, Salamance, Metagross, Garchomp, Hydreigon, Goodra, Komm-o and Dragapult

and those aren't from fan terms cause TPC put out a merch line awhile back with them all in it called Late Bloomers

Gen_VII_Pseudo_Legendary_Artwork.png

Sword and Shield weren't out yet so Dragapult wasn't included in it
Yeah, I did see that. And it was a tough call, but the best compromise I could make is just calling it "Dragon" and excluding the Tyranitar and Metagross lines, giving company to other late-dex three-tier lines like Flygon and Haxorus.

dkZrpXL.png

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
The cards look great but...

They have the same problem as the full art Magic cards have where their looks superseeded the act of being actual usable cards. Pokemon CG tends to have more than 1 version of each pokemon with different attacks, and abilities. Even then, it would be impossible to ask any pro player (or even worse, new players) to remember all 700+ of each.

They would be great as collectable Pokedex cards tho.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
This is incredible! Nice job, OP! I can't imagine how many hours you put into this.

Another

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Portugal
Honest question... why not just design a new card game from scratch instead?

Edit: nevermind, didn't realize you meant design in a strictly cosmetic sense.

Last edited:

Lynd

Oct 29, 2017
I think the graphic design elements are better in some ways. It's less cluttered but I think it loses all its appeal when you just put the stock character art there. Interesting illustrations are what make trading cards worth collecting in my opinion. Without them, the cards feel lifeless and sterile.

Absolutely. Im sorry, but the normal cards look more interesting and nicer overall.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Wow this is dedication and awesome work! :D I really like the overall look and design-language but I agree with the others saying the only thing that isn't as great are the simplistic backgrounds. But I suppose that's a matter of taste and of course also workload and doesn't diminish your work at all! :)

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't realise how awful the official cards were from an aesthetic design position.
They are a cluttered mess.