• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
It was really easy. The only hard part was trying to remember my old password. A couple clicks, and then Facebook "schedules your account for deletion in 14 days".

I previously just deactivated my account but I think it's clearly time. Maybe I'll ask my relatives to just email me their conspiracy theories and birthday wishes directly.

Anyone else decide to do this?

--

Here's how you can do it:

https://www.facebook.com/help/delete_account

Can't do it. Even if I found another option for my personal account, to many blogs/non profits/businesses still use it (including those that I'm affiliated with)

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Deactivated mine back in October as it wasn't something I cared for. One day I'll have to go in and retrieve the pictures I want to save so I can delete it for good.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I still use facebook messenger as my primary means of communicating with my family and closest friends... I'm trying to organize an alternative for everyone... but it's hard when a lot of people just don't care what facebook is doing.

Deleted member 9486

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I have push notifications for email but I have like 500+ unread emails because I know most are like newsletters and other bs

If something's important it's not in an email

Definitely not true in academia. 99% of my work-related communication is via e-mail. Everything from quick questions from colleagues/students, to article publication decisions, to e-mailing documents back and forth when co-authoring things, to grant application decision letters etc.

Though I will say I don't use much e-mail for personal correspondence anymore. That's mostly texts, FB Messenger or Signal. I hate talking on the phone so I hardly every call anyone.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
Nope, not really possible for me.

I'm in several groups who conduct business and ask for convention advice on FB. If it weren't for being on Facebook, I wouldn't be able to talk to some of these people more than once or twice a year. Discord/Slack is too complicated for many, so FB is it.

Kelsdesu

Oct 25, 2017
Been off all that for years now(era notwithstanding ). IG,Snap and FB are straight up poison imo.

Go live,; do awesome shit. The world doesnt have to know.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Not gonna do it. I'm just using it as contact space, to make myself available for friends, to organize things with family and close friends, and to keep in touch with more distant friends. If anything I might delete the Smart Phone app, but I'm not gonna jump on this train.

Some seem to think that the purpose of FB is to document everything you do, but it's not, doesn't have to be. You don't have to be 110% in or completely out. There's a nice middle ground where Facebook serves a good purpose, if you want it.

Deleted member 9486

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Been off all that for years now(era notwithstanding ). IG,Snap and FB are straight up poison imo.

Go live,; do awesome shit. The world doesnt have to know.

In some senses I think forums are worse. They've definitely been bad for my mood/mental health in the past. So much cynicism and negativity, everyone having to have strong opinions about everything. I just took a 3+ month break from here and most forums and was better for it. Decided to venture back and see if I can enjoy them by just being much more selective about which threads I click on, posting less, not posting at all if it's something that annoys me etc.

Where as at least with social media you can just limit your list to your close friends and family and delete the people that post stupid shit. All those echo chamber issues really only apply if you're following news sources etc. on there instead of using it solely for true friends and family and as a tool to keep up with them. It gets to be "poison" when people have friends lists full of people they don't even know, media sources etc. IMO. But to each their own.

Taki

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
backed up my photos and a list of friends and deleted it

Deleted member 15632

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Deleted and waiting the 14 days to confirm.

Completely forgot that WhatsApp is also owned by Facebook so guess that has to go as well :(

What's a good alternative?

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would like If some friends used other sites or app so i could talk with them. But Its WhatsApp or its Facebook, all of them. Sigh...

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
In some senses I think forums are worse. They've definitely been bad for my mood/mental health in the past. So much cynicism and negativity, everyone having to have strong opinions about everything. I just took a 3+ month break from here and most forums and was better for it. Decided to venture back and see if I can enjoy them by just being much more selective about which threads I click on, posting less, not posting at all if it's something that annoys me etc.

Where as at least with social media you can just limit your list to your close friends and family and delete the people that post stupid shit. All those echo chamber issues really only apply if you're following news sources etc. on there instead of using it solely for true friends and family and as a tool to keep up with them. It gets to be "poison" when people have friends lists full of people they don't even know, media sources etc. IMO. But to each their own.
I do not lie when I say that I enjoyed videogames a lot more before knowing GAF/ERA. I actually dislike them a bit now because of all the stuff I read here, tbh. Even made a thread about not having gaming friends, but with all due respect, communities in here are way too competitive, angry and goddamn serious for me.

Only reason I'm still here is because of the news, because I can't stand Kotaku and sites like that.

Arkanius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deleted and waiting the 14 days to confirm.

Completely forgot that WhatsApp is also owned by Facebook so guess that has to go as well :(

What's a good alternative?

In Europe at least, the new Data Protection Regulation forbids Facebook and WhatsApp of sharing data without user consent.

Deleted member 11069

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wish I could quit some of the social garbage but its part of being a freelancer.
Most jobs I get come through Social stuff / people seeing my work there.
Who visits personal websites anymore? Sadly no one.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
I would like If some friends used other sites or app so i could talk with them. But Its WhatsApp or its Facebook, all of them. Sigh...
Telegram is a nice alternative. I suggested it to a friend who broke up with his girlfriend and didn't want her to see him online in that app or Facebook and we use that to communicate all the time now. Never tried LINE, but I suppose another app is going to take advantage of this whole thing and come up as a different solution.

We couldn't imagine life without MSN Messenger or AIM, back then. I suppose that's gonna happen with this as well.

I wish I could quit some of the social garbage but its part of being a freelancer.
Most jobs I get come through Social stuff / people seeing my work there.
Who visits personal websites anymore? Sadly no one.
Too true, said friend is a photographer and he hasn't kept his Facebook updated, so he's kinda lucky to get hired even without that tool, because he keeps getting told "we couldn't find your Facebook profile" when clients are trying to reach him. He printed some cards and had a Wix site, but people still looked for his FB profile.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Couldn't do it. It's very useful for keeping up with music or game companies I like. It's also useful for work related things.

Oh, and also reading everyone else's drama. I rarely ever post myself, unless I go somewhere or do something impressive, then I share that so everyone can see how amazing and perfect my life is. ;)

Deleted member 1852

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I actually use Facebook for it's intended purpose of looking at pictures of my family and friends. So no actually I'm not going to delete my Facebook.

Cris

Oct 27, 2017
You can look up FB events without an account. Not to mention people often use many, many other forms of communication to create plans or events. Every bit of efficiency and convenience stemming from Facebook is not for the benefit of the user.
I create a birthday party and scroll through my friends clicking invite. The event is private with some info like address on it. (You need to be logged in) I then post on the event page discussion wall some details.

Giving out all that information for everyone to see and an interface to invite everyone is something that can't be done well any other way

Nov 2, 2017
I love when people with nothing to lose, socially, announce deleting their Facebook accounts like they're making some incredible sacrifice for the greater good.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I create a birthday party and scroll through my friends clicking invite. The event is private with some info like address on it. (You need to be logged in) I then post on the event page discussion wall some details.

Giving out all that information for everyone to see and an interface to invite everyone is something that can't be done well any other way

I promise you can still go to events and be informed of them without requiring a website that has barely existed a decade. You can send a mass text informing your friends whom you would normally invite, scrolling through and selecting them just like Facebook. You don't need an interface where everyone can gleefully post "Can't wait!!!" in anticipation to said event.

Again, no website requires you, and you should never require a website to live normally.

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017
Email, phone, forums, discord, snail mail, face to face

Communication existed for a very long time before Facebook. Even over long distances. Unless it's part of your job, there's nothing essential about what Facebook offers at all

People lived fine with out houses and no electricity, do you want to give those up? If not, then you do what you want to do and let other people do what they want to do. I like Facebook, have no reason to get rid of it and so I am keeping it.

Charismagik

Oct 27, 2017
No intention to delete since I couldn't care less what they do with my data. It's an easy way to keep in touch with old friends, even if most of them post stupid crap lol

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Deleted mine years ago because I thought it was making me less social

Turns out, I'm just asocial

rckvla

Oct 25, 2017
Facebook is annoying, it's where you would lose your faith in humanity. A lot of fake news and doxxing. I don't post that much anymore or scroll through the feed, I still have it just for communication purposes.

Staying away from it is definitely healthy.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
what's the difference between deactivating and deleting? I thought I deleted it like five years ago but I might have just deactivated it?

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
what's the difference between deactivating and deleting? I thought I deleted it like five years ago but I might have just deactivated it?
Deactivating means your account is still there exactly as it was, it just isn't visible to the public or you. If you can log in, then it's just deactivated.

Deleting completely removes the account.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not seeing some of the reasons to keep it here convincing. There's LOTS of smaller, better apps with wide usage to continue keeping in touch and sharing photos (I know FB owns them too), but placing FB as a dependency to those features is bizzare.

WhatsApp for photos/contact, Google Gallery for photoshoots (so easy), and you've got your phone for everything else.

You can get on just fine and still stay in touch.

People lived fine with out houses and no electricity, do you want to give those up? If not, then you do what you want to do and let other people do what they want to do. I like Facebook, have no reason to get rid of it and so I am keeping it.

Uh, the previous methods were just as good as what FB provides, no housing or electricity are not alternatives, lol.

Last edited: