• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ulbrick

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Nottingham, England
I'm in the midst of watching it (Up to episode 15 now) and I've enjoyed every episode of it, it does have a 'cool' factor to it, I'm pretty new to anime so I can't really say something is cooler, the OST enhances that imho.

Striferser

Oct 28, 2017
Devilman Crybaby is super cool and depressing.

The lack of Baccano in this thread hurts my soul.

The actual answer is Samurai Champloo. They're equal in terms of "oh shit, this is cool" imo.

Hell yeah. Baccano is oozing with styles and the way they weave multiple stories at the same times is damn cool.

Samurai Champloo is super cool tol

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of Baccano!, Durarara!! is up there too. Everyone in that show is super cool, whether they're a science nerd or a schoolgirl possessed by a murderous sword. 🤔

oldboss

Nov 9, 2017
Wow, most people have such shitty tastes anime-wise. Crazy. Of course Cowboy Bebop is the superlative among cool animes. It will never be topped.

Lydecker

Aug 13, 2020
Anime Era, how would you rate these three:

- Cowboy Bebop
- Samurai Champloo
- Space Dandy

I've only seen the first one and it was God-tier material.

OP
OP
Morlas

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017

- Cowboy Bebop
- Samurai Champloo
- Space Dandy

Space dandy and Champloo don't quite match Bebop imo, but both are excellent top tier anime

Turin

Oct 27, 2017

- Cowboy Bebop
- Samurai Champloo
- Space Dandy

Champloo's more fun in some ways than Bebop but it doesn't leave as much of a lasting impression. The music is worth watching Champloo for alone.

Never watched Space Dandy.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
haven't done a full rewatch in over a decade. have the blu ray set so i'm due. did rewatch the last 2-3 episodes though and i'm having a hard time deciding between which episode has a better ending: hard luck woman, jupiter jazz part 2, or the real folk blues part 2.

Septy

Prophet of Truth
Nov 29, 2017
United States
haven't done a full rewatch in over a decade. have the blu ray set so i'm due. did rewatch the last 2-3 episodes though and i'm having a hard time deciding between which episode has a better ending: hard luck woman, jupiter jazz part 2, or the real folk blues part 2.
I think it's a tie between Jupiter Jazz Part 2 and Real Folk Blues Part 1. Both endings are so good.

OP
OP
Morlas

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
The ending of Speak Like a Child is also incredible

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017

- Cowboy Bebop
- Samurai Champloo
- Space Dandy

haven't seen space dandy. if cowboy bebop is 10/10 best anime, then samurai champloo is 9/10. it's a spiritual successor that doesn't quite hit the mark the same way. if you enjoyed bebop, then give it a shot though just keep in mind it's all about the journey. you get less of the backstory stuff like you had with bebop and it's seemingly more filler. but, like bebop, the filler is there to show characters in different situations and give us better insight into who they are.

and if you like champloo, check out katanagatari. it's further down the anime rabbit hole, but each episode is like 48 minutes of character development and two minutes of fighting, and each fight is fucking thrilling as a result.

Last edited:

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's a tie between Jupiter Jazz Part 2 and Real Folk Blues Part 1. Both endings are so good.

space lion might be my favorite song from the show. it's somehow both hopeful and melancholic at the same time.

jupiter jazz part 2 is also where i feel like the entire team finally comes together. it makes sense given it's the end of the first half of the show, before everything starts to fall apart. the delivery on these lines in the dub is so good. the actors/director really nailed what made these characters so likeable and relatable.

'so sad... so... beautiful.'
'hurry up and get inside. we're taking off.'
'oh ed, anything but blue...'

considering the era in which it was made, the english dub is like hidden treasure. it has no reason to be this good, and it elevates the entire show.

Lydecker

Aug 13, 2020
haven't seen space dandy. if cowboy bebop is 10/10 best anime, then samurai champloo is 9/10. it's a spiritual successor that doesn't quite hit the mark the same way. if you enjoyed bebop, then give it a shot though just keep in mind it's all about the journey. you get less of the backstory stuff like you had with bebop and it's seemingly more filler. but, like bebop, the filler is there to show characters in different situations and give us better insight into who they are.

and if you like champloo, check out katanagatari. it's further down the anime rabbit hole, but each episode is like 48 minutes of character development and two minutes of fighting, and each fight is fucking thrilling as a result.

Thanks a lot, I will check it out!

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
Jupiter Jazz Part 2 stuck with me forever. It's incredible.

Only thing I'd actually complain about with Bebop is the whole Julia element really didn't work for me. It's just underwhelming all around.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017

- Cowboy Bebop
- Samurai Champloo
- Space Dandy

Champloo's more fun in some ways than Bebop but it doesn't leave as much of a lasting impression. The music is worth watching Champloo for alone.
Never watched Space Dandy.
haven't seen space dandy. if cowboy bebop is 10/10 best anime, then samurai champloo is 9/10.

Cowboy Bebop - 10/10
Samurai Champloo - 9/10
Carole & Tuesday - 8/10
Space Dandy - 9/10

I haven't seen the "bad" Watanabe anime, Terror in Resonance, nor have I seen his adaptation of Kids on the Slope. I hear Kids is solid and I hear almost exclusively negative things about Terror. Apparently Terror is written very poorly and the characters are brainless and unlikable. Every time I look it up, I see people talking about how awful it is...so I think I'm going to prioritize watching Kids.

Space Dandy is incredible. It's a very episodic series with some very sharp, satirical writing and lots of meta commentary on genre anime. There are a couple dud episodes in there, the first couple aren't great but then you get 10/10s like Zombie Documentary, the high-school musical, QT's love story, Dandy and the little girl, the multiverse of Dandies, the Redline episode and that awesome mindfuck of an ending.

It benefits greatly from using multiple animation styles, an awesome soundtrack featuring Yokko Kano doing her Bebop thing and one of the most enjoyable English dubs in anime.

Watch Space Dandy. It's a great companion anime to Bebop and Champloo, heavier on satire but big on style.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Cowboy bebop is overrated and I say this as someone who grew up with it and love the show and saw the movie. Stop worshipping it like it's untouchable.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
<insert anime where the protagonist sent into another world and attend a magical academy where he have incest relationship with his 1000yo loli dragon sister and get his own harem>

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
jHB8hCc.gif

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo are almost oppressively cool, which always made me wonder what happened with Wolf's Rain.

Like did the director finally just miss the mark in terms of "something I think is cool and almost everyone else will agree with"?

refusi0n1

Oct 27, 2017
The only thing that gets close in my mind is the second renaissance from animatrix and the detective one

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW

youtu.be

Noir Opening 1

Japonés: ノワールTema: "Coppelia no Hitsugi (「コッペリアの柩」 Coppelia's Casket)" by ALI Project© PONYCANYON• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • ...

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo are almost oppressively cool, which always made me wonder what happened with Wolf's Rain.

Like did the director finally just miss the mark in terms of "something I think is cool and almost everyone else will agree with"?
Watanabe didn't direct Wolf's Rain. Also, Wolf's Rain is good!

Oct 25, 2017

Not the same director. Same lead writer, but Shinichiro Watanabe was not involved in any way. Besides that, yeah, I see that show as an attempt to carry on with many of the team of CB trying to do what they did the first time, but ended up making an interestingly stark case study for the impact Watanabe had on CB. Wolf's Rain lacks any drive, sadly, despite the interesting premise.

Ah, I see people already pointed out the director thing. Ah well my other points still stand.

Also the answer is Tatami Galaxy. 😎😎😎
(not really, but check it out, it's great)

VAD

Oct 28, 2017

youtu.be

Noir Opening 1

Japonés: ノワールTema: "Coppelia no Hitsugi (「コッペリアの柩」 Coppelia's Casket)" by ALI Project© PONYCANYON• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • ...

Imo the only thing in this anime that could put it in the same conversation than Cowboy Bebop was Yuki Kajiura's soundtrack.
Baccano. What do I win?
Damn, you right.

Last edited:

Kikujiro

Oct 27, 2017
Cowboy bebop is overrated and I say this as someone who grew up with it and love the show and saw the movie. Stop worshipping it like it's untouchable.

Something is not overrated just because you say it. A lot of people (from artists to critics to fans) consider it the pinnacle of anime for a good reason and you throwing around the word "overrated" won't change that.

Deleted member 82064

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 29, 2020

- Cowboy Bebop
- Samurai Champloo
- Space Dandy

That's a good order. Bebop and Champloo are equal to me but I just prefer the setting of Bebop more so I would rank it first.
Space Dandy is great. It's just more episodical and lacks the deeper story line. But it's visually very creative show and has some great episodes.