• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
A new contender enters the arena. For freddie mercury alone.

Yeah I really should'ved used something with Freddie in it.

639.gif

Oct 25, 2017
The Utena movie would like a word with you.
Yes, don't forget End of Evangelion though. It was an inspiration for Adolescence Apocalypse for one thing, but also an essential piece of that series as well.

(The funny thing is that even though they both seem to overwrite some things, they both fit into a singular canon near perfectly if you think about them closely haha. Oh and just to be clear I mean EoE+NGE's TV ending fit perfectly together, and Adolescence Apocalypse+Utena's TV ending fit together. Not that Utena and Eva somehow exist in the same universe haha.)

Oct 25, 2017
If this were just some power fantasy, it wouldn't be nearly as beloved. I have many friends who aren't anime fans, some of whom even actively dislike media that is steeped in male power fantasy, and they love this show.

Can't speak for everyone, of course, but imo you're on the money here.

An interesting note to add here is I recently showed a friend of mine the first 7 or 8 episodes of Bebop and although she liked the first episode every subsequent one lost more of her interest. I think it was possibly the combination of Faye's provocative clothing and that at least early on the Bebop crew is basically constantly complaining about each other and Spike and Jet often have this "women, you can't live with him, you can't live without them" attitude that turned her off from the characters.

Basically, the crew is a lot more angry, self isolating and ticked at each other early on at least than I remembered and that attitude from them ultimately is what made her drop the show. She liked the group dynamic in Samurai Champloo a lot better, although so far she's only seen 1 episode of it.

To be fair, Faye, while a great character in my opinion, does end up in a lot of typical damsel in distress situations. Not that she ever comes off as helpless, she's just the bait more often than I remembered, and combined with how she flaunts her body all the time, I can see why someone would lose interest before seeing the depths of her true character.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
I had never read so much Spike slander before this thread yeeeesh. He's "cool" to me in the same way that Japanese wrestler Tetsuya Naito is - they just seem so unbothered and over everything but "well we still have to participate in all this madness so might as well be one of the best at it."

Oct 25, 2017
LOL. Imagine thinking Cowboy Bebop is cooler than Megalobox. The fuck?
Maybe they haven't seen it? I still need to get around to it.

Nah Utena herself, not even counting the rest of the cast, is way cooler than Spike.
Yeah, she's at least on par, though in a totally different way. Touga (because of his redemption throughout the series but particularly the movie) gets perhaps too little credit as well.

It's kind of funny actually I haven't seen anyone say Akira. Not that I'd necessarily put it up there though. The manga's better, but one key issue is that Kaneda's still mostly just a punk in over his head. Kei and Chiyoko are cool though. Tetsuo's just a whiny damaged baby.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Morlas

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
I've seen Megalo Box, and its neither half as good nor half as cool as Bebop

never

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think the anime Jormungand as a whole is cooler, but Koko Hekmatyar is an arms dealer and is pretty fucking cool.

8ebbbb755d153ce410a880d2464321ca.jpg

skies_

Feb 28, 2018
Ah yes. Air Gear. The series where Obama traded bodies with a teenage girl and then masturbated. The series where Obama's tragic backstory was Michelle & his kids dying in a terrorist attack in his home village in Africa (huts included)

So cool

haha TF, glad I stopped with the anime I guess

Saturday

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Out of the answers in this thread, there are two which I consider to be a straight-up mood; Lupin the 3rd although the quality of his slickness depends on which of his series/movies you're watching, and FLCL, which only hits real nice if you're feelin' the indie rock sensibilities.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Bebop is the coolest show ever made. That fucking soundtrack transcends time and space.

Friggz

Oct 27, 2017
The Real Folks Blues is now playing in all of your heads. That how cool this anime is.
That is also the only anime whose movie is neither cheap filler trash, a recap nor a glorified additional episode.
just pulled up real folk blues on spotify and i got sucked into a time machine back when life seemed simpler.

Im not sure if Cowboy bebop is the coolest or not, but a lot of my childhood memories are tied into cowboy bebop somehow. Thats pretty cool to me!

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
Of anything I've seen, Black Lagoon and Samurai Champloo are on the same level.

Their action sequences and characters are cool. as. hell.

Mattersnotnow

Jan 15, 2018
I think CB takes the cake but posting some honorable mentions that either had very cool parts or were cool as a whole that I didn't see mentioned before

Darker Than Black was cool af (ignore 2nd season, it never happened) - fight clip, spoilers: https://youtu.be/OH7VTC_szRw

Bonus points for Spike look alike: Speed Grapher

Had promising concept, cool opening and setting as well as some good scenes (liked it but it was aimless and a little boring at parts): Joker Game

Yuasa, crazy animation, GOAT Op: Kemonodzume

Creepy cool? Cool girl on bike? Boogiepop Phantom

Trippy techy cool, not because of chars or situations but because of the visual representations: Paprika (no more embedding: https://youtu.be/yn7U1KIGeuQ

What if Any Lee was cool and anime? Ergo Proxy (no more embedding: https://youtu.be/oAXrRWLKzko)

Also Durarara

Last edited:

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
You might name "better" anime but none will be cooler.
Exactly.

And the OP still remains victorious.

Some funny answers so far I see

...I really hope the people saying things like SAO, MHA and Fairy Tail are just joking but it's always hard to tell. I wanted to call out someone claiming that Terror in Resonance is cooler than Cowboy Bebop but I haven't watched it, I'm only aware of it's reputation as being "the first bad Watanabe anime".

Such a damn fine show. Samurai Champloo comes pretty close, but that may just be nostalgia clouding my judgement.
Nah, Champloo still holds up beautifully. Fear not.

So does the soundtrack btw.

Last edited:

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
CB is definitely very cool overall. And I don't even particularly think of Spike as a cool character to have that opinion. It's the overall aesthetic, mood, music - the interactions between the characters, the word itself which is slightly falling apart. I don't get the male power fantasy view of Spike - in fact Spike always turned me off because I know he was based on Bruce Lee and I would have rather had Bruce Lee as Spike. Jubei from Ninja Scroll or countless "reluctant" heroes from the 80's and 90's action anime are better than spike in that male power fantasy regard.

However, you can't go wrong with Vampire Hunter D : Bloodlust - Yoshitaka Amano artwork that animates. It just doesn't get better than that.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
I don't know if it adds to the "cool" factor but to end that entire show with a black screen and "you're gonna carry that weight". Fam... that hits