• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
Weird right. Since Bloodstained:CotM is like a spiritual successor to the NES games, but for some reason i'm loving this game. Did a regular play through on Normal mode recruiting all the allies, and now I'm on the second run with no allies + powers. The second run is pretty difficult with less health, and restarting from the beginning of the stages when dying was making me rage quit, but I kept on going back to the game haha. Ended up just lowering the difficulty (mostly for the unlimited lives) for the second run to save myself from the headache from keeping to restarting it over and over again. Having a lot more fun on the second play though even though it's more difficult, playing as Zangetsu with all the hidden arts feels like I'm playing as Zero from MMZ games. I'm probably going to try to 100% all the achievements for it.

Game is great, everyone needs to go try it out. It's only $10.

Last edited:

CrazyAznKT

Nov 8, 2017
I feel the same way. I think it's because it feels much more responsive than the old Castlevania games did.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Got it from Games w Gold and beat it in one setting and loved it. I think these neo retro games benefit from implementing better game design from the present to the past while maintaining everything else people love about retro gaming like Shovel Knight.

Oct 27, 2017
Yes—game is absolutely fantastic and has lots of replayability. The music was great as well from what I can remember.

Noogy

Soloist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Colorado
Curse of the Moon was my GOTY last year. Just the perfect length, fantastic replayability, and absolutely nailed the gameplay, visuals and audio. Such a great surprise.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
The movement options are just way better. if the old games /felt/ like Bloodstained they'd be better (level design is a bit too traditional on CoTM) but they don't, and such Bloodstained is the funnest game and that's all.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Was easily one of my most played games last year, and I love me some Classicvania. A real classic in my book.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Not weird. :) It captures the essence/feel of why those old games are memorable, but refines the formula to make it feel fresh in modern terms.

Ifrit

Oct 27, 2017
It's an excelent game, finished in one sitting, but highly replayable and worthy of diferent replays

OP
OP

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, it's a short game 90-120 minutes but has high replayability. Ultimate mode, nightmare mode, boss rush mode, and different paths in levels.

Deleted member 15125

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed my time with CotM, but the level design is not as strong or memorable as the best Classicvanias. Levels have this weirdly cobbled together feel to them without too many specific, memorable enemy encounters. It doesn't help that many of the enemies are just reskinned Castlevania foes.

Last edited: