• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jul 24, 2020
I mean I get MGSV, but barely any cut-scenes in Death Stranding? Really?

I mean there are low quality ones in-game when you talk to various civilians. My probable biggest critique (I like the game still mind you) is that the story is simply stretched too thin with DS.

So less so a narrative issue perhaps, like I said its too long if anything, but you could indeed say it is one of a general structural issue of density/substance to why (and why you should care all that much).

Like I get the game wants you do fetch quests constantly, even small things bring people happiness and a sense of unity and community. I understand much of what the games themes are shooting for. I just wish the games NPCs and whatnot were more tied together to the missions a little bit more though narratively. They're throwaways too often.

I would have happily cut half of the missions for more charactersation or more intrigue or drama with the ones you do happen to go on, with less missions overall if it had to be.

mnemonicj

Oct 27, 2017
Honduras
All 3rd person games could have the exact same gameplay in the future and I would love it.
Gameplay should be an Industry standard bar none. Story is terrible though.

Deleted member 54073

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 22, 2019
MGS5 is the worst MGS. Loved all of the others apart from that one and the series ended on a sour note for me.

Bish_Bosch

Apr 30, 2018
I mean MGS5 is very much a incomplete work so maybe should be compared to other fragmentary works but what is there is very interesting. A villain that is essentially genocidal Derrida is possibly the most interesting thing Kojima has come up with at least philosophically. So yeah maybe flawed in the same way something like On the Silver Globe is flawed but still pretty good.

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
I mean there are low quality ones in-game when you talk to various civilians. My probable biggest critique (I like the game still mind you) is that the story is simply stretched too thin with DS.

So less so a narrative issue perhaps, like I said its too long if anything, but you could indeed say it is one of a general structural issue of density/substance to why (and why you should care all that much).

Like I get the game wants you do fetch quests constantly, even small things bring people happiness and a sense of unity and community. I understand much of what the games themes are shooting for. I just wish the games NPCs and whatnot were more tied together to the missions a little bit more though narratively. They're throwaways too often.

I would have happily cut half of the missions for more charactersation or more intrigue or drama with the ones you do happen to go on, with less missions overall if it had to be.

Yeah both DS and MGSV struggle with tying story to the gameplay. I don't know if they could've done a better job though, considering the game design... And it doesn't have to do with the games being open-world, it has to do with them not limiting player agency during gameplay.

If you consider games like Ghost of Tsushima or RDR2, both of those are open-world games that tell a very tight story. But the flipside of that is the game having to constantly tell you what to do and where to go, or else it gives you a game over. Like half of those games is just following around NPCs while they talk at you.

MGSV on the other hand never has those arbitrary fail states. There's even a tailing mission where you can shoot the guy you're supposed to follow, and the game just keeps going. And since there's a thousand different ways to do every mission, the linear story has to be kind of detached from the gameplay for it to work.

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
It's a game that crushed my soul and broke my heart. It was the greatest disappointment of all time for me.

Jun 17, 2018
MGS V would have been a better game if it was named something entirely different and used different characters. It had none of the things that makes a great MGS game.

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
I feel Death Stranding is like 15 hours too long. I'm not sure how Kojima has gone from super tight linear games with long ass cut-scenes to long ass open world games with barely any cut-scenes. Very odd.
I suspect it had to do with the departure of Tomokazu Fukushima, who was co-writer through MGS3, but left for undisclosed reasons.

DustyVonErich

Oct 31, 2017
So true, OP.

I think MGS3 is the best game.
Maybe 1 has the best story?
My favorite is 4 for the bat-shit zaniest with great gameplay.

MGS5 probably has the best gameplay, but it skimped on story and character elements that made the previous games fun and Metal Gear.

whatsarobot

Nov 17, 2017
Used to play 1-3 almost annually. Haven't wanted to touch V since it released. Wish they could release a 10 hour DLC with all it's gameplay but some real STAKES to the story.

BossLackey

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Kansas City, MO
It's your favorite series, but you didn't play 2?! Uuuuuh

V was my most anticipated game of all time. I came away very disappointed.

I believe it has the best 3rd person shooter and stealth mechanics of all time, but it is a piss poor Metal Gear game. Clearly it was unfinished, but I don't think Kojima should have completely changed the formula for the very last game. That's a massive gamble and it really didn't pay off.

No David Hayter
Very few cutscenes
Very few bosses (and the ones here aren't even close to as interesting as any others in the series)
Completely empty open world
Very thin story, especially when compared to the HOURS of cutscenes in the previous games.

Game is a ton of fun, but the series went from a very handcrafted feel to way too open. To think this is how Metal Gear died is legit depressing.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's right up there with 2&3 for me, I love them for different reasons but truly love them all.

Gameplay is sublime and I enjoyed the story for the most part. I don't feel like there was less story it was just attached to a lot more game, and sure it was silly but it's not exactly a franchise known for its seriousness or grounding in reality.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not the biggest fan of the series, but damn... I loved MGS2 (my favorite in the series is Twin Snakes).

I never played though MGS4 completely though, and I honestly didn't like MGS3 that much. More on topic, I didn't get that far into 5 until dropping it either (I wanna say it was Mission # somewhere in the early 20s). I liked Ground Zeroes a lot more than MGS5 "proper."

Hiraeth

Mar 16, 2018
London, UK
I absolutely love MGS, but 5 really does feel like an unfinished game (which it is). However, the gameplay alone was engaging enough to sink over 100 hours into it imo.

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
I'm a longtime MGS fan. It's easily a top 5 video game franchise for me. But as much as I love MGS1-4, sandbox MGS is the best MGS and V is not only my favorite in the franchise, but probably a top 5 game for me period. V is just so much fun to play and I love the loop of doing a main op, then lingering in the world to tackle various side ops, all the while fultoning better and better soldiers, doing R&D for better and better toys, expanding motherbase, etc. I love your different companions and developing playstyles around them (D-dog is the best). I also found the premise of the story fairly compelling (love the vocal chord parasite stuff) and appreciated the big story twist/reveal. Shame it was never completed and has so many unfortunate loose ends left in the narrative.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Agreed. MGS5 is still the only game in the franchise I never finished, and I got a platinum trophy in Ground Zeroes!

I wish the game was more focused like GZ.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Kojima needs to stop listening to fans because they don't know what they want.

MGSV is a result of the MGS4 complaints of being a movie game and having barely any gameplay.

Oct 30, 2017
MGS5 = Fantastic gameplay

but as a MGS game, it sucks so badly... like it can't be any worse.

The franchise should have ended with MGS4 and MGS5 being a new IP.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine saying mgs is your favorite series and not even playing the best one? Let 2 wash the shit out of your mouth that is V.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's such a disappointment, particularly after Ground Zeroes. Controls like a dream, but that's about it.

And play MGS2, it's the GOAT.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Worst thing is it goes on for like forty fuckin hours. I don't think I even finished it. Absolutely could not care in the slightest about anything that was happening, which for metal gear solid, that's a huge failure.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
In retrospect, I really wish they went with a Hitman style open "area" that you could remix and revisit. GZ was way more replayable and interesting than MGSV, imo.
Yep. The most boring open world out there. And you spent too many times on the chopper or at the base, which is useless.
What a waste of gameplay.

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
It would ruin the (already bad imo) narrative that there is but if I had to play MGS V again I would mainline it and stop after Sahelanthropus.

I put like 100+ hours into that mess and I think I enjoyed ~20 of it at most.

Molto

Oct 27, 2017
In terms of gameplay it's by far my favorite MGS in the series. And in comparison to the excessively long cutscenes of MGS 4, I actually appreciated the increased focus on gameplay over story. I can understand why some people didn't like it, but for me MGS V is an absolute masterpiece of a game that I put around 75 hrs into. I just wish the final chapter was actually completed and Kojima had time to finish the project, I feel like a lot of the issues the game has are due to how early he was forced off the project.

ByWatterson

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yep.

Ground Zeroes had me totally hooked, and then the instant I got on the ground at the base, I felt all sense of momentum and narrative totally arrested. It came across as obviously unfinished and uninspired (the story, at least). To make matters worse, the open world itself, during missions, is bland, monotonous, and has no sense of cohesion.

I don't understand all the GOTY love it got. It was bland, boring, and uninteresting. Just a giant sandbox. Which is fine, I guess, but it's not a complete game.

Haint

Banned
Oct 14, 2018
From MGS on, the story and industry leading production values have been the star of Kojima games and that works best in linear cinematic experiences. V was an empty open world with no story (compared to previous entries) and mediocre production values by contemporaneous AAA standards. It sucked ass, and so does Death Stranding. Meanwhile PT was as linear as linear gets and was brilliant...it's almost as if Kojima excels at linear experiences...

Last edited:

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
The perfected the controls and had a decent general concept then pissed it away with the most boring open world possible and a story that reeks of no one editing kojima. He sacrificed that games story and boring protagonist to serve a twist people guessed from the first proper trailers.

Making your character basically be a mute and never cutting from him so you don't have to show more than you need to hurt everything. The main villain had a fucking 10 minute jeep ride monologue and died in cutscenes FFS.

Thinking about the potential this game had makes me upset. I desperately wanted acts 1/2 of MGS4 expanded into a full game. Not peace walker but worse

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
MGSV is a soulless game. The gameplay is amazing. But you don't want to play it. Imagining what they could've done with a more fleshed out game is torture.

I Ioved Death Stranding though. Kojima should stick to more linear games. Take the ND wide-linear approach if necessary, because that's his strength.

City 17

Oct 25, 2017
It's the best Non-MGS MGS title if that makes sense.

Don't play it as another MGS, and it's a great game.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
It's not that bad. The gameplay was meticulous. I think it was just the culmination of a story that didn't need to be told. But my opinion is true of every post-MGS2 game.

I had fun with it. At least it didn't waste the character of Solid Snake like MGS4 did.

Acquiesc3

Oct 30, 2017
I think MGS5 made a lot of ppl realize that they were in love with the series for the story and characters and not really so much for its gameplay (which 5 really excelled in)

Reizzz

Jun 19, 2019
If Mgs5 wasn't mission based the story might have been awesome...but then a lot if the game's gameplay loops would have been lost.

Oct 27, 2017
MGSV was a great game mechanically, I had a lot of fun with it once I accepted I wouldn't get the classical MGS experience.

But, I think they should have taken this a step further. You what would've been awesome ? An expansion pack/DLC/whole new game, MGS V : VR MISSIONS. Just strip down the whole useless gameplay elements such as base-building, make a dozen mini maps Ă  la Camp Omega (Ground Zeroes) or OKB Zero, and put missions like MGS VR and the VR mode of MGS2's Substance. BOOM SUCCESS.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
V has the best gameplay but I couldn't give two fucks about the story. MGS 1 was novel in its storytelling and cinematic, the gameplay hasn't aged great but its still playable. 3 Subsistence feels like a medium between the two. If I had to replay one right now I'd probably take V just because the gameplay was that good, but honestly those 3 are all probably tied for first for me.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
MGS2: Substance is still the best game in the series. (I'm specifying Substance so you can get as much out of the gameplay of 2 as possible)

MGSV: TPP is a good video game engine and a good set of controls wrapped around a really mediocre game. The plot and sense of progression feels like the employees in the rest of Kojima Productions simply had to work off a bunch of bullet point notes and early drafts in a Google Doc that Kojima smuggled through a Konami firewall.

Oct 27, 2017
I get that game reviews are always subjective but how in the hell did this game get 10/10s when it was clearly unfinished?

Like, chapter 2 is mostly chapter 1 missions repeated with increased difficulty und the story has no ending. It is so obvious.

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
Totally agree, OP. I've played MGS2 and 3 more times than I can count. I wouldn't be surprised if I've played each one more than a dozen times. But once MGS went open world, that was it for me. The gameplay and stealth is great and I did enjoy it for a bit, but once I got to the Africa region I just couldn't keep going with it. The open regions just aren't that interesting compared to the more varied and detailed levels of the previous games.

I also had practically zero interest in the story, whereas the the previous games kept me hooked the entire time. This series ended with MGS4, and anything after that is a spin-off imo.

I'll also never understand the decision to dump David Hayter as the voice of Snake. It didn't really feel like I was playing as Snake as a result.