• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Berserker976

Oct 27, 2017
This is more likely the case. She said she was socially liberal but fiscally conservative, whatever that means. She really couldn't even give a reason why she voted for Trump the first time other than he was running on the GOP ticket (which she also acknowledged he really wasn't a Republican anyways). We live in MA so it's true she was probably embarrassed to admit she actually voted for him.

She highly educated, has a lot more schooling/degrees than I do, so I really didn't get any of it.
"Social liberal but fiscally conservative" is code for libertarian. My advice is to run the other way.

Also, fancy degrees do not imply intelligence, in my experience.

Gyro Zeppeli

Oct 27, 2017
What I wouldn't give for the majority of the country to go under a psychological transformation to the acceptance of a social democracy. Imagine how much more prosperous Americans would be mentally and financially. :|

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
In my experience most doctors are due hard Republicans. I am not sure if that extends to the rest of health care workers though.

Yoshimitsu126

The Fallen
Nov 11, 2017
United States
This is more likely the case. She said she was socially liberal but fiscally conservative, whatever that means. She really couldn't even give a reason why she voted for Trump the first time other than he was running on the GOP ticket (which she also acknowledged he really wasn't a Republican anyways). We live in MA so it's true she was probably embarrassed to admit she actually voted for him.

She highly educated, has a lot more schooling/degrees than I do, so I really didn't get any of it.

How much money does she make or what is her profession?

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
"Social liberal but fiscally conservative" is code for libertarian. My advice is to run the other way.

Also, fancy degrees do not imply intelligence, in my experience.

In my experience it is code for 'Allows me to safely vote Republican without having to address racism, homophobia, etc.'

Wait what does that even mean?

It is like saying you're vegetarian but you still eat bacon once in a while?

No, it is theoretically a real position. Libertarians for example are supposedly that.

It is just a super myopic position since it does its darnedest to ignore the intersection between the social and the fiscal.

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
The most successful thing the Republican party has done is convince their base there's nothing worse on this entire planet, than a liberal.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
Yeah I think my uncle is the same way. His own mother was trying to dissuade him for liking Trump so much saying, "But.... he LIES." and he just happily chirps, "Well, I'll give you that one."

giphy.gif

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
If you guys are having honest, non-heated political discussions, ask her how she feels/felt about his pussy grabbing comment.

Especially since she's a woman...he's basically saying that he would walk right up to her and grab her that way

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

School teaches you about specific subjects you end up specializing in. Just because you have a lot of degrees doesn't mean you're going to be smart in all subjects.

For example, when you go into medicine as a doctor you end up specializing in surgery or psychiatry or whatever. You end up becoming really good at what you do, but not necessarily anything else. Many doctors forget about certain things they learned in school just because it doesn't apply to them anymore.

For her, it seems like "socially liberal fiscally conservative" is comfortable because it means she doesn't have to think critically and pick a side. People who say this I've found really have no idea what they're talking about.

Oct 25, 2017
She acknowledges what a shitty person Trump is in general, but just can't see herself voting Democrat, no matter what.

I don't get it.
I read an article... what, maybe 8-10 months ago or so... in the long ago before time... that explained this phenomenon in that while these people recognize Trump as the awful dumpster fire that he is, they are against one or more relatively unanimous planks in the Democratic candidates' platforms (whether that be abortion, immigration, LGBT rights, foreign policy, police abuse/powers, student loan forgiveness, UBI etc...) enough that of course they wouldn't vote for the D. They'll hold their noses and vote for Trump or just sit out altogether.

For examle, if I'm pro-life, single -issue voter (to be clear, I'm ardently pro-choice, this is just a hypothetical,) then there's no way in hell I'd vote for Biden or any other D nominee.

ClockworkOwl

Banned
Feb 1, 2020
You guys are being far too harsh on this woman. Some people want to vote for someone they believe in and they don't treat voting like they're trying to solve a math problem. She obviously understands that not voting for Biden will, by an incredibly minuscule amount, make it more likely that Trump will win. She's not stupid.

Mar 18, 2020
I had an interesting video chat with a woman I've been interacting with over OKCupid for the last couple of weeks. She told me she's not going to vote for Trump in 2020 because of the way he's handling the virus, and the lack of any national policy (I didn't even get into discussing everything else shitty he's done). She said she wasn't going to vote for Biden either, she's going to write someone in (but doesn't know who it is).

I tried to explain that not voting for Biden is really a vote for Trump- she should vote for him, forgetting everything else, just so there's some sort of national policy for dealing with the virus. The exact reason why she said she's not voting for Trump. She's not going to do it.

She acknowledges what a shitty person Trump is in general, but just can't see herself voting Democrat, no matter what.

I don't get it.

That tactic isn't very effective in the best of times, and definitely not if you're trying to start something romantic.

Sometimes you just have to cut your losses

OP
OP
Wag

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
You guys are being far too harsh on this woman. Some people want to vote for someone they believe in and they don't treat voting like they're trying to solve a math problem. She obviously understands that not voting for Biden will, by an incredibly minuscule amount, make it more likely that Trump will win. She's not stupid.
Admittedly I don't know her very well, but she definitely didn't seem stupid to me, not by half. She's not particularly religious, or have any extreme views that I could tell. That's what makes it so confusing. I spoke with her a good while, probably close to an hour.

Shig

Oct 30, 2017
She's definitely still voting for Trump
All you've done is convince her writing in is useless, and voting D is off the table, which leaves just Trump
Exactly this. Unless you're a particularly skilled orator that can make a rousing case for your side, attempting to browbeat people into voting for someone they don't want to probably won't endear them to your candidate, it'll just push them further away.

Should have left well enough alone, or tried to take a more scenic route into the logic of voting D instead of just launching headlong into OH SO YOU'RE THROWING YOUR VOTE AWAY?

She works in the medical field; Ask her if she feels healthcare should be accessible to whoever is in need, or if it should be a profit-driven and highly exclusionary industry. Ask her if she wants people in office that will yield to the expertise of medical professionals, or one that undermines and second-guesses them. I'll take a wild guess that she probably picks the former in both cases. Then lay out the case that there's one party that consistently advocates for those things and one that does not.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's not just religion that makes people behave like this. Politics, sports, religion, etc. all these are fundamentally about identity, intelligence or accreditation doesn't factor into it at all.

Nov 1, 2017
People like this are some of the most annoying around. If she's from a state he won, she directly contributed to the shitshow going on. When i get legitimately pissed at something I try ton actually change it. She's lying to you and most likely going to vote for him again. Just trying to save face.

Also, socially liberal and fiscally conservative is code for I'll say I'm for equality but I'll be damned if it's important enough to pay to establish it nonsense.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver

It means she's not openly a bigoted asshole, but she's happy to throw marginalized groups under the bus if it benefits her taxes.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
I had an interesting video chat with a woman I've been interacting with over OKCupid for the last couple of weeks. She told me she's not going to vote for Trump in 2020 because of the way he's handling the virus, and the lack of any national policy (I didn't even get into discussing everything else shitty he's done). She said she wasn't going to vote for Biden either, she's going to write someone in (but doesn't know who it is).

I tried to explain that not voting for Biden is really a vote for Trump- she should vote for him, forgetting everything else, just so there's some sort of national policy for dealing with the virus. The exact reason why she said she's not voting for Trump. She's not going to do it.

I don't get it.

On the good news, since she leans Republican/is so anti democrat, i would say her no vote harms trump. Vs people who say they lean progressive (and wouldn't vote trump anyways) saying they won't vote. Those help trump. So in her case I think it's still a loss for trump.

Because it is obvious if she voted, it would be Republican. So her not voting is them getting one less vote. The reason people are frustrated at those not voting and saying they are helping trump is those people would be voting democrat/progressive that the democrats lost.

Though getting her to vote democrat would be a double kick to the republicans.

stupei

Oct 26, 2017

It means they don't think all gay people are going to hell necessarily but think poor people bring it on themselves by being lazy so if they suffer or die it's their own fault.

madstarr12

Jan 25, 2018
We should be focused on undecided voters instead of those who are pretty set on "I hate them both, voting 3rd party" people. I know, the fact that there's people undecided between Trump and Biden is unfortunate, but they are easier to convince.

ImperatorPat

Oct 25, 2017
USA
You live in Massachusetts, an incredibly Blue state. It went Hillary 60% Trump 32% in 2016.

This person's non-vote or write-in is not going to cause trump to win, it is not "really a vote for Trump". It is a vote for whoever she writes in, and Biden will win your state's electoral college votes regardless.

As a registered republican, I also live in an an incredibly solid blue state and will be voting third party this year too. My vote will be counted as a message that I wasn't satisfied with either major candidate, if enough registered republicans like me voted like this (tbh, they won't, I expect to be in the 1-3% range this year) it would send a clear message to the GOP to stop nominating trump-like candidates and nominate someone worthy of my vote.

Oct 27, 2017
A large percentage of Americans are indoctrinated pretty strongly starting at birth. In many households democrats are evil loving baby killers.

Atheists and Muslims were always the 2 least trusted groups when polling Americans. If you don't parrot their jingoistic bs and cable news talkinAmerica then in their heads you not only aren't to be trusted, but are actually trying to destroy america.

JMeth

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Illinois
User Banned (permanent): trolling, account in junior phase
This is why the democrats needed a better candidate. I voted for Trump last election but just cannot do it again with a clear conscious, unfortunately I also cannot vote for Biden for the same reason so I'll probably not vote for the 1st time in two decades

ClockworkOwl

Banned
Feb 1, 2020
As a registered republican, I also live in an an incredibly solid blue state and will be voting third party this year too.

You're very brave to post here, but I'm certainly glad that you are. This forum needs more voices from the other side.

That's something the posters here are missing. This woman is not a Democrat. She hates Trump and wants a sane Republican to vote for, but that doesn't mean she wants to vote for Biden either. Given that perspective, voting third party or making a protest vote (say Mitt Romney) makes perfect sense.

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
This is why the democrats needed a better candidate. I voted for Trump last election but just cannot do it again with a clear conscious, unfortunately I also cannot vote for Biden for the same reason so I'll probably not vote for the 1st time in two decades

What was it about 2016 Trump that you wanted to vote for that was better than 2020 Biden?

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017

It means she thinks democrats spend way too much money on minorities and poor people and illegal immigrants and ignore white women (and men), but she won't ever talk about race with random people because she will instantly be tarred with the racist accusation. She votes quietly in the voting booth, not super happy about her choice but figuring its "us or them" and Trump is definitely on "her" side.

Its a bit of an interesting con, republicans don't really give two shits about anyone other than corporations and rich donors and are pretty open about it, but democrats are so schizophrenic in their messaging when it comes to just straight up telling white voters "yeah, we'll basically cater to you" (which is essentially true but democratic candidates HATE saying it for a variety of reasons) that a lot of white voters feel that a vote for a democrat is a vote for giving up some level of personal power and "free ride".

Its the barbarians at the gate dilemma, republicans constantly tell you the barbarians are at the gate and they are the only ones that can protect you and democrats are usually bad at pushing back against that message. You rarely convince someone that the threat to their way of life is being kind to strangers.

Oct 27, 2017
Simply put, I couldn't vote for a Clinton and never will and Trump at the time was IMO the lesser of two evils since he didn't have the political baggage that the Clinton's had yet and was a unknown quantity.
You're full of shit. The idea that you are sitting here saying you took a moral stand to not vote for Clinton and decided to vote for Trump because he's lesser than two evils but now you decided to not vote for Trump but magically that same logic doesn't apply to voting for Biden. You wouldn't have ever voted for a Democrat, regardless of the candidate - you're just too much of coward to admit it.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017

I don't get it.
If she's a would-be Trump voter, not voting actually favors Biden (in the same way would-be D voters sitting out is half a vote for Trump).