• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Comrade Grogu

Banned
Jun 20, 2020
Yeah, yeah, I'm sure we're all here because we are all "gamers" or something on this forum but honestly... It's not that important for me anymore. I got other stuff to do. I can literally study Marxism for fun (and old religious text, among other things such as psychology and philosophy). I'm starting my career soon enough and I'm wrapping up university and having fun with it. On top of that, I got tabletop RPGs that I'm doing and I'm re-learning Turkish. Movies, TV shows, social media... They'll be there. I write on the side, mostly technical writing, but also fictional writing. And hey, it's nice to do exercise every now and then.

^ Now, if you went through all that, you probably may think I'm a bit of an asshole to gloat about all this and lord it over all the gamers or what not... But I'm honestly not gloating. I'm sort of looking back at the fact that video games... are the best they've ever been (unpopular opinion, I know)... but they're also kinda not the center of attention that they used to be for me.

And since I know that video games put the workers that make them through misery, at least in certain projects where it's very egregious, it seems like my extreme OCD talking to me since I was a child saying "You must play this game or else you'll miss out" or some shit. But honestly, what's stopping me from refusing to buy games now that I've pretty much mastered my OCD and have all these other things going for me?

Yeah, I get it, I'm sure that some thing out there will be laced with "blood money" whether it's metaphorical or not, but I can at least minimize what I consume or negate it entirely.

I'm not saying that it's every video game, but the question of this thread is: what's stopping us from just sort of not buying a certain game or games? We literally have more options than ever before and we have more things to do than ever before.

It's funny because I was on a gaming hiatus for years until 2020 and then I started playing again. But hey, I hit an equilibrium with this thing and I doubt that I really need some game that was made through horrible business practices or overwork or suicides or prison labor or whatever shit hasn't been revealed yet.

So yeah, awkward feeling, but that's where I'm at right now.

Anyone else feel the same way? What made you get to this point? Did you ever think you'd get to this point? Discuss!

Last edited:

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
So, here's the thing. A boycott isn't a boycott if you don't buy something you weren't already going to buy.

Boycotting is a deliberate choice not to buy something you otherwise would have wanted or needed in order to make a statement. So you're not exactly boycotting things by just not buying every game that comes out.

OP
OP
Comrade Grogu

Comrade Grogu

Banned
Jun 20, 2020
I mean are you really boycotting when you weren't planning on buying those games in the first place
Things is: a lot of those games I was already boycotting due to wanting to play them. But since I don't need to at this point since I have other options, I kinda don't see why it was hard for me 5 years ago to not buy a game that was highly praised?

OP
OP
Comrade Grogu

Comrade Grogu

Banned
Jun 20, 2020
So, here's the thing. A boycott isn't a boycott if you don't buy something you weren't already going to buy.

Boycotting is a deliberate choice not to buy something you otherwise would have wanted or needed in order to make a statement. So you're not exactly boycotting things by just not buying every game that comes out.
Oh okay.

This thread was mostly about me kinda growing out of needing to play a game despite where it came from.

Jamesac68

Oct 27, 2017
You can't boycott a game you don't want to play. You're already not playing it. What more can you do, not play it harder?

Ravenwraith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Framing your disinterest in games as activism against crunch only goes about as far as making you feel good about yourself for something you've already been doing. Like, fine I guess? But it doesn't help.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Things is: a lot of those games I was already boycotting due to wanting to play them. But since I don't need to at this point since I have other options, I kinda don't see why it was hard for me 5 years ago to not buy a game that was highly praised?
Because you were still interested in games back then.

Sounds to me like you just don't like games anymore and you're trying to rationalize it into a righteous thing instead of admitting you're just bored of the hobby.

JaggiBaggi

Nov 4, 2017
This kind of thread is why the word "boycott" is completely ruined nowadays.

We're working on "anticonsumer" right now.

OP
OP
Comrade Grogu

Comrade Grogu

Banned
Jun 20, 2020
Oct 26, 2017
Just play what you want to and don't play what you don't want to.
If you feel strongly enough about an issue the game will naturally fall into the latter category.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Why not play what you like and be critical of everything worth being critical of?

Boycotting a game you don't want to support is a respectable stance but some people seem to act like that's the best/only thing people can do

Boycotting a game or publisher alone is unlikely to push the industry towards any positive change

By all means ignore games you don't want to support, but talking about these games and the issues around them does more good than a ban or boycott will

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I didn't realise it was so easy to protest!

In that case i'm going to boycot everything with the Harry Potter name attached to it*

*Doesn't like Harry Potter anyway.

Wow, I feel like I'm doing so much good in the world!

OP
OP
Comrade Grogu

Comrade Grogu

Banned
Jun 20, 2020
Why not play what you like and be critical of everything worth being critical of?

Boycotting a game you don't want to support is a respectable stance but some people seem to act like that's the best/only thing people can do

Boycotting a game or publisher alone is unlikely to push the industry towards any positive change

By all means ignore games you don't want to support, but talking about these games and the issues around them does more good than a ban or boycott will
Boycotting was not the right word.

That said, I think that my problem is that I feel that I shouldn't patronize some of these games.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
I'm a speck of dust in the universe with maybe 40 years left of life, whether I buy a video game or not the world will move on, me not buying an iPhone won't save anyone, it won't hit Apple in their pockets, it won't make me any better then anyone else.

If I knew I was making an active impact it'd be a different story but a game like Cyberpunk gets to 13 million or whatever the hell it was preorders with or without me so honestly who cares. I'll absolutely donate to causes I believe in, I'll volunteer when I can but stuff as meaningless as games Who cares.

It's video games, it's tech, it's eating meat, it's nothing in the grand scheme. Enjoy yourself until you die as long as you're not hurting others.

Just my 2 cents, don't want to argue with anyone today, I respect that my opinion is one of many and yours is just as valid.

OP
OP
Comrade Grogu

Comrade Grogu

Banned
Jun 20, 2020
I'm a speck of dust in the universe with maybe 40 years left of life, whether I buy a video game or not the world will move on, me not buying an iPhone won't save anyone, it won't hit Apple in their pockets, it won't make me any better then anyone else.

If I knew I was making an active impact it'd be a different story but a game like Cyberpunk gets to 13 million or whatever the hell it was preorders with or without me so honestly who cares. I'll absolutely donate to causes I believe in, I'll volunteer when I can but stuff as meaningless as games Who cares.

It's video games, it's tech, it's eating meat, it's nothing in the grand scheme. Enjoy yourself until you die as long as you're not hurting others.

Just my 2 cents, don't want to argue with anyone today, I respect that my opinion is one of many and yours is just as valid.
Hmmm, I disagree.

Either way, it's not good on my conscience, I suppose.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017

Exactly, it's the same as giving up something you don't like for Lent or something lol

OP
OP
Comrade Grogu

Comrade Grogu

Banned
Jun 20, 2020
Hmmm, I'll take out the word "boycott" until the mods fix the thread title. Thanks everyone for being patient. šŸ˜

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
I guess we should all be maximizing the ethical use of our dollars in every situation? It should be kind of obvious to any moral person that this is how we should behave. But it can be done on an item-per-item basis. There's no real need to contemplate a sweeping lifestyle change unless you find yourself to be consistently wasteful or regularly consuming things that do harm.

I never bought Dragon's Dogma out of protest, for example. I also try not to buy gas as much as possible.

Oct 27, 2017
I would say if there is a game you want to play, but you dislike the developer/publisher's business practices (like CDPR) but want to show the hard working team your support, buy it used. That way they still see you playing online, get metrics and stats from it, and you can provide them feedback and support through social media, etc but you don't line the executive team's pockets.

OP
OP
Comrade Grogu

Comrade Grogu

Banned
Jun 20, 2020
I would say if there is a game you want to play, but you dislike the developer/publisher's business practices (like CDPR) but want to show the hard working team your support, buy it used. That way they still see you playing online, get metrics and stats from it, and you can provide them feedback and support through social media, etc but you don't line the executive team's pockets.
Hmmm, that's an idea, but I do feel that I'm just sort of giving consent to it. And either way, like I said, I don't really need it, imho

Mesoian

ā–² Legend ā–²
Oct 28, 2017
You'd be better off spreading the word about bad practices or shitty behavior than you would boycotting.

A lot of the time, you need to see for yourself what people are talking about when they're discussing these things.

Oct 27, 2017
Hmmm, that's an idea, but I do feel that I'm just sort of giving consent to it. And either way, like I said, I don't really need it, imho
I get it. Do whatever makes you comfortable of course. I do think our industry needs to hold publishers/developers more accountable, but with the way our news cycle goes its easy to forget about the poor practices of most developers unless its a mega-controversy like No Man's Sky in 2016, or CP2077.

OP
OP
Comrade Grogu

Comrade Grogu

Banned
Jun 20, 2020
I'm sorry everyone.

The phrasing in the OP and especially the title was quite bad to put it mildly. Here's hoping the mods change it to "Outgrowing FOMO" since that's pretty much what this is. šŸ˜Š

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Nope.

I dont boycott.

As for FOMO - I dont buy games day 1 anymore. The only time I do is if they are limited releases....