• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 48205

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 30, 2018
I've been playing quite a bit of Spelunky over the last few years. Playing it on mute while putting on a podcast became one of my favorite things to do to relax. I think more than anything I enjoy how used I am to the controls and the mechanics, I almost don't need to pay attention to it at all. But I feel like I have to move on. I currently have 334 hours logged on Steam, and that's just way, way too much.
I really like having a go to game that I can just play from time to time and spend an hour or so on, but I really want it to be a different game

So, please recommend me a roguelike game that's as good as Spelunky so I could move on with my life
Thank you!

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
I feel the same with Isaac.. but I switch between Enter The Gungeon, Moonlighter, Deadcells & Flinthook. I want Necromancer.. never grabbed it on Vita.

Last edited:

Roy

Oct 27, 2017
I feel the same about Crypt of the Necrodancer but it's harder to listen to podcasts while playing because it's a rhythm game.
I thought I was getting over it then the Amplified DLC appeared out of nowhere and now I'm even more addicted!

cbrotherson

Freelance Games & Comic Book Writer
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Birmingham
I've been playing quite a bit of Spelunky over the last few years. Playing it on mute while putting on a podcast became one of my favorite things to do to relax. I think more than anything I enjoy how used I am to the controls and the mechanics, I almost don't need to pay attention to it at all. But I feel like I have to move on. I currently have 334 hours logged on Steam, and that's just way, way too much.
I really like having a go to game that I can just play from time to time and spend an hour or so on, but I really want it to be a different game

So, please recommend me a roguelike game that's as good as Spelunky so I could move on with my life
Thank you!

Spelunky is the game of dreams. Spelunky 2 will be godlike.

Caveblazers is probably the closest thing I've found to it in terms of mechanics and style - it's not quite the same (it's far more forgiving and it's more combat combo based - kinda like a cross between Spelunky and Risk of Rain), but for my money it scratches the same itch in the best possible way:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/452060/Caveblazers/

Kaiser Swayze

Oct 30, 2017
I feel the same way. I'm barely 2 hours into Sekiro and I keep going back to Spelunky because I've been worn out at work and just need something I don't need to think about. At least it isn't a time sink. I'll have a few runs, curse myself and/or the game for something stupid and get on with life.

Also, after years of playing this game on PS4, I just now found out that pressing square at the intro takes you straight into the game, skipping the menus etc.

BreakingARC

Oct 30, 2017
I sold my Vita a year ago when buying a Switch because I don't need two handhelds.

I forgot there's no Spelunky on Switch.

I really want to play Spelunky again. :(

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
After I got the true ending or whatever I was done with the game. After that many hours I have to assume you've beaten it. Time to let go.

Meia

Oct 26, 2017
Spelunky was pretty great, but beat that and didn't feel a need to keep playing it. Isaac has been that for me, over 500 hours at this point, can sleepwalk through most of it. It's basically my "zen" game, just play to relax.

Though thanks to the Nintendo direct I recently tried Necrodancer and can't put it down, even if it seems unlikely I'll ever beat it. :p

keidash

Jan 31, 2018
I've spent around the same time with Nuclear Throne and they launch it on Switch now... I'm thinking about selling the console before I end up buying it...

Fishsnot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Japan
You know that 334 hours is not a particularly large amount of time for a "few years" worth of play.
Plus why give up something as simple as playing Splunky, if you get joy from it.

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
Rogue Legacy, Enter the Gungeon and Nuclear Throne gave me more than 100h of game each. Come back from work, pop a vinyl and play one of them for an hour is the chillest experience. I don't touch Spelunky anymore because I know I'll become addict again if I do.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
In terms of games just as good as Spelunky, there's not a lot of roguelikes that I'd put on the same level. Maybe Into the Breach.

OP
OP

Deleted member 48205

Banned
Sep 30, 2018
After I got the true ending or whatever I was done with the game. After that many hours I have to assume you've beaten it. Time to let go.
It's kind of embarrassing to admit but after all the time I spent playing it I only beat Hell about 8 times.
You know that 334 hours is not a particularly large amount of time for a "few years" worth of play.
Plus why give up something as simple as playing Splunky, if you get joy from it.
For a game where an average run is about 20 minutes, I'd say that it as large amount of time overall. I do get joy from it I just know that there are other games like it that I could be playing.

So what's the consensus, Nuclear Throne, Gungeon, Isaac, which one do I get first?
21 entire awake days of your life playing one game! That's crazy.
It's insane. I feel really bad about it lol

toythatkills

Oct 26, 2017
London, UK
Spelunky is essentially perfect, and trying to replace it with another roguelike won't do you any good because when you're constantly comparing every aspect to the way Spelunky would do it, everything else tends to pale. I've tried Gungeon and Isaac and in both cases ended up going back to Spelunky. Gungeon doesn't quite have the same feeling that you can just zone out when you're good at it because it's just too busy. I didn't find Isaac to be good at all and again, it's not a game you can play while you're concentrating on something else like a podcast because it demands more of your attention by virtue of how complex it's combinations of items can be.

The thing that pulled me away from Spelunky (for now) is the new Trials game. Basically everything in that game ultimately comes down to muscle memory, and so it's perfect for when I want to listen to podcasts. Plus, it's nothing like Spelunky at all, so I never find myself thinking "why am I playing this when I could be playing Spelunky?"

dotpatrick

Oct 28, 2017
I've been playing Spelunky more or less since the Xbox release in 2012. I don't think there I've gone more than a few weeks without hoping back in to do a Daily Challenge run. I don't even want to know how many hours I've put into it. I don't want to stop though, but I do sometime look at my library of unplayed games and feel a little guilty that I'm not cracking away at those instead.

OP
OP

Deleted member 48205

Banned
Sep 30, 2018
I was like this with The Binding of Isaac, but now I'm free!
How did you stop?

I've been playing Spelunky more or less since the Xbox release in 2012. I don't think there I've gone more than a few weeks without hoping back in to do a Daily Challenge run. I don't even want to know how many hours I've put into it. I don't want to stop though, but I do sometime look at my library of unplayed games and feel a little guilty that I'm not cracking away at those instead.
Yeah the amount of games I could've beaten in 330 hours is kind of insane.. Oh well
FTL: Faster Than Light

If you're in the mood for a card game, try Slay The Spire
Not really my thing, but thanks!

Spelunky is essentially perfect, and trying to replace it with another roguelike won't do you any good because when you're constantly comparing every aspect to the way Spelunky would do it, everything else tends to pale. I've tried Gungeon and Isaac and in both cases ended up going back to Spelunky. Gungeon doesn't quite have the same feeling that you can just zone out when you're good at it because it's just too busy. I didn't find Isaac to be good at all and again, it's not a game you can play while you're concentrating on something else like a podcast because it demands more of your attention by virtue of how complex it's combinations of items can be.
This is why I never tried them up to this point, that's the impression I get from looking at gameplay from both of them
I need a game where after a few hours your'e
I have well over 100 hours and I haven't ever reached Hell (best I managed was City of Gold). Beating hell eight times is the opposite of embarrassing to me.
Considering the fact that a successful playthrough takes about 40 minutes, the amount of playthrough you could do in 330 hours is... better not look that up

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Considering the fact that a successful playthrough takes about 40 minutes, the amount of playthrough you could do in 330 hours is... better not look that up

That'd be about 500 runs (probably a bit higher as early runs when you're learning will be much shorter), which still feels super impressive for eight Hell victories, to me at least. You should be proud of yourself. :)

And frankly, 300 hours playing a game that demands and hones your reflexes and skills is a far better use of one's time than watching TV or even playing a treadmill MMO (many of which can easily eat thousands of your hours). I say every minute spent playing Spelunky is a minute well spent. :)

OP
OP

Deleted member 48205

Banned
Sep 30, 2018
That'd be about 500 runs (probably a bit higher as early runs when you're learning will be much shorter), which still feels super impressive for eight Hell victories, to me at least. You should be proud of yourself. :)

And frankly, 300 hours playing a game that demands and hones your reflexes and skills is a far better use of one's time than watching TV or even playing a treadmill MMO (many of which can easily eat thousands of your hours). I say every minute spent playing Spelunky is a minute well spent. :)
Probably a lot more, I still die from dumb shit all the time, sometimes I even won't get past 1-4 :P But thanks, I kinda feel better. Keep trying, the first time you make it through something clicks and it gets easier each time after that. I'll never get to the level of speed-running it though, I don't know how these people do it

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know that feeling, OP. I played the shit out of that game and had a blast doing it.

Other than a Trove trophy, the Spelunky trophies are my rarest ones (the speed run trophy was crazy hard).

Oct 25, 2017
I have a friend like you, OP. Whenever I see him playing a game on PSN it almost always inevitably becomes Spelunky again, it's his zone out game too. For me, that game is Enter the Gungeon, I can just play it endlessly and it never feels old, especially since they keep adding content with updates.