• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Any AAA game is revealed
veggie.jpg

In all seriousness though, they're good VAs so I understand why they get so much work

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
I see everyone on the first 5 pages forgot that Laura Bailey was nominated for performance of the year at the Game Awards as the lead for Gears 5. Whatevs lol :p

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I think diversity of different VA's in AAA games is definitely a good thing. That being said, can't say I've ever had an issue with any of the stated VA's voice work. I've always enjoyed Laura Bailey's voice acting in whatever game she's been in.

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love Laura's work so I'm fine with her being on a lot stuff. I can't fucking stand the other 2 guys tho.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I have this but with Troy Baker, Travis Willingham and Laura Bailey.

And it's not just because it's them, it's their voice performances that irritate me. I do like Troy as Joker's replacement in Arkham Origins and especially as Joel. I do like Travis as Knuckles in most recent Sonics. I don't really like Laura's performance and I struggle to think of a role that really felt good.

I had a moment before I realized it was Laura in Dragon Age Inquisition with this dwarf character that I just felt was overly touchy feely in her delivery despite the scene not calling for it, and it agitated me actually. It just irritated me so much that this character was flooding over the shores with her clobbering emotional range, for a character that wasn't even that familiar with the rest in the story, and I already knew there's this IRL thing where Travis is married to Laura and Troy tags along and they constnatly land gigs together playing the main duo or trio together (for example: Infamous Second Son).

And it got to a point where I just didn't like these actors anymore, because of the IRL connotation and because I think their performances are too performative and not immersed enough.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Video Games might be making the most bank and I suppose its diversity problem has yet to be talked about compared to the film industry.

Especially when you have minority video game characters being voiced by white people, people of color can't catch a break.

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly people complaining about Troy and Nolan need to understand why they have "same voice" in their games.

Nolan has voiced his opinion that he wishes he could do more varied performances, but directors just say "we want your Drake voice/normal voice". He talks about this constantly in regards to Prince of Persia 08.

Troy has range.The year he got really big 2013 he had 3 incredibly varied performances being Joel, Booker and Joker.

He does like when people just ask for his normal voice because he views it as confidence in the script and they aren't asking him to "dress it up or put a hat on it"

Directors want them.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't blame them, blame the directors that ask them what to sound like. This thread is incredibly disrespectful and misinformed. You might as well stop watching movies.

Phil me in

Nov 22, 2018
Can't stand Troy unfortunately. Great as Joel but since then I feel he's shoe horned in every game. Very annoying as snow in ff23 trilogy as well.

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
I will not tolerate slander against Laura Bailey! >:(

j/k, it's all subjective, but as much as I love her, I do agree there should be greater diversity in voice acting. That is never a loss.

BTW, listen to Laura's character from the first campaign of Critical Role (Vex'ahlia) and compare it to her character in campaign 2 (Jester) - they're COMPLETELY different in tone, accent, personality and overall demeanor. It's fucking great.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
I still don't mind Laura Bailey - though I think she peaked with Saints Row and a lot of her more recent voicework sounds like a less brash version of her badass Saints work.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Bailey voiced Kaine in Nier, which became my favorite PS3 game, and that character was so amazing, carried quite a bit by her performance, which I didn't even recognize as her. So in my book, she could be in everything and I'd be OK with that.

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
They're great at their jobs. Besides, in videogames, they can't voice everyone in a game they are in so it's not like they are taking away everything.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I don't mind Troy Baker being hired so much because he has such great range that I often don't even recognise it's him. Nolan and Laura still have good range but most of the time they do speak in their normal voice which is annoying. Especially whenever I hear Laura because I can't help but think Kaine from Nier is talking.

Polaris

Oct 29, 2017
Twin Cities, Minnesota
Like others have said, I have no problem with the three actors getting work, my issue is with casting directors and the direction they are given when on a project. They have range and versatility, if you cast them, let them use it.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They're fantastic at their craft, and no doubt directors and writers love to work with them due to their range, skill, work ethic, understanding of the work and adaptability.

I find threads like this somewhat disrespectful and obtuse. It's like some people can't see past face value audible similarities.

Do you share the same opinions for movies that have popular actors re-appearing in numerous roles where they sound alike? Because if this kind of thing bothers you, you might as well stop watching movies and TV shows as well, especially any you're interested that happened to feature popular actors.

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
I loved Troy Baker's appearance in Death Stranding because it was Troy fucking Baker, for once embodying his own skin which was a perfect fit for the game's aggressively meta stylings.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
You're sick of them.... about 7 years after they stopped being featured in every major game release? You might as well say you are sick of slow PSN downloads and lack of cross game chat... on PS3.

Or complain about Jennifer Lawrence's abundance of movie roles.... like 7 years ago too. You see what I'm saying? Too much time has passed for it to still be a real complaint and its almost like this a Slowpoke joke thread that is revealed at the end of the text or something.

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
I don't mind them except for TB in Death Stranding...that role was so overdone. Nolan is pretty versatile though.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
Is Laura Bailey also the person that voices the emissary from the Reckoning in Destiny 2? Idk who that VA is but that is another voice that I hear everywhere in games as well.

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
As others have said, Baker, Bailey, and North have incredible ranges, they just don't always get to show it, because that isn't what directors want from them. I mean, Nolan North nearly became the replacement/back-up voice of Mickey Mouse after Wayne Allwine passed - North's Mickey is scary good. (I definitely prefer North's Mickey to Mickey's current new voice actor, who can still be really stilted at times.)

I'm also all for other actors getting voice work opportunities, as there are a lot of really talented actors that either predominantly do voice acting, or have a theater background that translates well to motion capture - but Baker, Bailey, and North are fantastic and experienced actors in a field that requires a more unique skill set, so it's not surprising they get as much work as they do.

Honestly people complaining about Troy and Nolan need to understand why they have "same voice" in their games.

Nolan has voiced his opinion that he wishes he could do more varied performances, but directors just say "we want your Drake voice/normal voice". He talks about this constantly in regards to Prince of Persia 08.

Troy has range.The year he got really big 2013 he had 3 incredibly varied performances being Joel, Booker and Joker.

He does like when people just ask for his normal voice because he views it as confidence in the script and they aren't asking him to "dress it up or put a hat on it"

Directors want them.

Yes, this.

Gxgear

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver
I know they're great at their job, but I have never once swayed on my purchase decision because these top VA's were or weren't cast in the game. The only explanation I could think of is that because they're household names, they are more readily accessible, so developers instantly gravitate toward them as safe/easy picks instead of having to hold auditions.

Chirotera

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I know they're great at their job, but I have never once swayed on my purchase decision because these top VA's were or weren't cast in the game. The only explanation I could think of is that because they're household names, they are more readily accessible, so developers instantly gravitate toward them as safe/easy picks instead of having to hold auditions.

You only really notice voice acting when it's bad. You have no reason to notice when it's good. The three names for this topic are all really good.

This entire topic of shitting on them is sad. It's one thing to voice criticism, but another to do whatever the hell this topic is trying to do.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
I have to agree. Just because there are great VA's, doesn't mean that they exactly fit every role.

And Dual Audio is a must, especially within Japanese games.

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
....Do you think these VA's don't audition because they're "famous"? Look we're still talking about Voice Actors here, this isn't hollywood yet.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
people using the "quality" defense must not realize that is the same shitty reasoning people in Hollywood didn't hire black actors.
giphy.gif

I'm not about hating on Troy, Nolan and Laura but it's surprising to see some of these posts on Era when many of the same people are all about diversity casting in live action film and television.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

I'm not about hating on Troy, Nolan and Laura but it's surprising to see some of these posts on Era when many of the same people are all about diversity casting in live action film and television.

Yeah, it's wack. I'm gonna expand my thoughts in a bit when I have time, but the quality argument is bullshit.

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Troy Baker isn't versatile? Have you even seen THIS?!

Joker, Joel, Ocelot, Yuri, Kanji Tatsumi, Sam Drake, Vincent, Pagan Min, Delson Rowe etc. To imply Troy Baker doesn't have range is utterly laughable.

Troy Baker is arguably one of the most talented and accomplished there is in gaming with respect to range and/or differences in performances, characters, accents etc.

Last edited:

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
people using the "quality" defense must not realize that is the same shitty reasoning people in Hollywood didn't hire black actors.

That's not really comparable and is instead somewhat of a strawman argument. Few people complain that Denzel and Samuel L Jackson get cast in so many black acting roles, they're incredible actors and pull off memorable performances, hence their volume of work is respected and appreciated. Instead the argument and point (a different one to what is being argued in the OP) is that there should be far more minority characters in movies and games in general, so that more minority actors can be cast alongside the top talent when possible.

So yes, of course games (and all media) should feature far more women and minority characters, but that has little to do with the most talented actors being more likely to be cast in works or major productions (something prevalent among all races and genders, eg certain actors, whether male, female, black or white, being more likely to be cast for certain roles due to their acting talent and star appeal).

In an ideal world it'd be a case of a healthy amount of both, eg the best actors continue to get the biggest roles, whilst simultaneously there is a greater diversity of minority and women characters for more acting roles, and thus more potential for up and coming talent too.

Last edited:

ConVito

Oct 16, 2018
While I have nothing against them as voice actors (they're good at what they do; that can't be denied), I do hate the casting culture that's been created around them. I've always been angry about how real voice actors are shoved aside in favor of celebrities in every animated film, prioritizing star power over actual actual acting ability. And now this is basically the same thing, except most people don't know them. So these studios are essentially spending extra money for... what exactly? Their names? Most people won't recognize them. Their acting ability? There are literally hundreds if not thousands of voice actors who are just as capable and more that are available for a fraction of the price you're paying. You just want to save time and not audition anybody? What does that say about you as a casting director? Who would want to work with someone who just throws money at everything to cut corners?

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
I don't see the issue here whatsoever. They all perform very well in the numerous roles they get, they're not the ones to throw shade at. Blame the system, it'd be great to have more diversity in the acting of AAA games.

I also don't see an issue if they're not doing accents or different voices. Do y'all get annoyed when a film or TV actor doesn't change their voice when they act? I think now that the actors are also basically stage acting with motion capture while also doing the voice work, it makes more sense to not try and change the voice too much.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I don't blame the actors. Gotta put food on the table.

All of them have pretty good range but sometimes they get hired and all the VA director wants is to have them use their normal voice.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At least I know when they're hired it's a god damned union job and the game devs/studio aren't trying to be cheap as fuck with VAs. Havent heard Laura in a while though with the exception of critical role.

OP
OP
SonovaBeach

SonovaBeach

Dec 14, 2017
I edited the OP to add a good point stated by a lot of people that should have been the first thing I said in this thread.

It looked like I was blaming these actors as if they were the ones making the casting decisions which obviously isn't the case.