• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Can you tell 120 from 60?

• Yes. OP is just an old man who needs to retire from gaming.

Votes: 933 68.8%
  • No. I don't know what I should be seeing. Also I am old like the OP and bad at gaming now. :p

Votes: 191 14.1%
  • Yes. But just barely. My coolness and oldness are fluid.

Votes: 232 17.1%

• Total voters
Nov 11, 2017
80's kid here. I played so many games at less than 1fps growing up that I just cannot bring myself to care about 30+FPS.

TraderPoe

Oct 31, 2017
Pacific Northwest
The thing about 120Hz+ is that you have to live with it for a while. Like have a 120Hz display where everything is 120Hz, even just browsing, moving the mouse around, browsing the internet.

Then go back to 60Hz and you'll immediately see the difference.

This was if for me. It's definitely more subtle than 30 to 60 jump but the general responsiveness makes it feel like there's no delay between what my hand is doing vs my fingers. It's a bit easier to notice with mouse movements as well. But playing halo at 120 FPS is quite incredible

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I have a 144hz monitor and play some stuff at high Framerate. While I notice the difference it is pretty marginal to me. As someone who mostly plays SP games 60 fps is enough.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Even just unlocking the framerate in stuff like FFXIV (and getting way above 120) feels way better than going with 60.

So I cant imagine 120HZ being worse than that, the opposite in fact.

LordHuffnPuff

Doctor Videogames at Allfather Productions
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
webernet
I can't even tell 30 from 60. Or 20 from 30 sometimes. It's gotta be really choppy before I notice.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know what to tell you. I've had so many people try and show me comparisons. They look identical.
They don't look identical at all to me, 20 is not even that playable for any game that's fast paced! I played Crysis 1 at like 20fps in 2009 and I couldn't even play it properly. Had to wait until 2011 to get 30fps and above which felt so much better(though 30fps still wasn't perfectly ideal, glad I can do better with the game now).

LordHuffnPuff

Doctor Videogames at Allfather Productions
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
webernet
They don't look identical at all to me, 20 is not even that playable for any game that's fast paced! I played Crysis 1 at like 20fps in 2009 and I couldn't even play it properly. Had to wait until 2011 to get 30fps and above which felt so much better(though 30fps still wasn't perfectly ideal, glad I can do better with the game now).
I mean yes, judging from what I've read they don't look identical for most people. I just can't tell the difference when it comes to 30 vs 60. And unless it's dipping into the teens, when 30 dips into the 20s, I don't notice. The Zelda Musou thread had all these complaints about performance and I was baffled. Looked smooth to me.

Jan 21, 2019
I wish 60 would feel fluid. But the only thing that feels fluid is my TVs motion interpolation plus black screen insertion. I checked and it is slightly more fluid than 120hz with bsi. 60 compared to these feels like a powerpoint presentation (exaggaration).

Too bad modern games are barely playable at high framerates and high resolutions. I want a 4K120hz future.

But I also wish I wouldn't see the difference. Ignorance is bliss.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
I mean yes, judging from what I've read they don't look identical for most people. I just can't tell the difference when it comes to 30 vs 60. And unless it's dipping into the teens, when 30 dips into the 20s, I don't notice. The Zelda Musou thread had all these complaints about performance and I was baffled. Looked smooth to me.
I can accept 30fps, as long as it's locked. If it dips too far and often then it's a problem.

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
90-100hz is the limit for me. Above that and it looks the same to me

For me variable refresh rate is more important. Not having to "lock" a game to a certain frame rate on PC has been so liberating.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I can tell, but the difference isn't nearly as big or impressive as going from 30fps to 60fps.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
This was if for me. It's definitely more subtle than 30 to 60 jump but the general responsiveness makes it feel like there's no delay between what my hand is doing vs my fingers. It's a bit easier to notice with mouse movements as well. But playing halo at 120 FPS is quite incredible
Scrolling though ResetEra posts at 240Hz, let me tell you. I can't go back.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
I have an lg cx and a xsx and ps5 to pair with them. Is there a way to get a readout on what fps the game is running at and the refresh rate? If not can anybody post a list of games capable of 120 fps please. Any help appreciated

Dalto11

Oct 27, 2017
Picked up a 144hz IPS panel earlier this year (works with Gsync). I cannot go back, at least for games that require twitch aiming and fast reactions. I can game at anything 30 or above, obviously - especially if the gameplay is fine with that level of sluggishness. Drops below 30 though are very, very jarring. So are inconsistent frame times at lower frame rates. I have trouble telling a whole lot of a difference beyond 120 hz, but I can still tell a difference in terms of precieved fluidity (no tearing thanks to Gsync) if my game is swinging between say 90-120 fps. 120-144 I can't really notice. 60-90 is extremely noticable though. But for any FPS I aim to experience it at 100 fps or above anymore.

Mass One

Oct 28, 2017
Went back to 60fps w/ Ray tracing in cold War because of this thread. It might be me but it looked choppy af now.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
To the OP,
It will be less noticable on some games when using a controller, especially if you use slower aim speeds. Try Gears 5 with a Keyboard and Mouse, the difference can feel amazing if you notice it.

I have an lg cx and a xsx and ps5 to pair with them. Is there a way to get a readout on what fps the game is running at and the refresh rate? If not can anybody post a list of games capable of 120 fps please. Any help appreciated

There's no way I know of to get an fps readout from gakes on PS5/XSX without special external equipment.

As for games that support 120fps, off the top of my head

Xbox Series X
- Ori and the Will of the Wisps
- Gears 5
- Halo Master Chief Collection
- Dirt 5
- Borderlands 3
- Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War
- Call of Duty Warzone
- Call of Duty Modern Warfare?
- Devil May Cry V Special Edition
- Ranbow Six Seige (patch coming soon)
- The Falconeer
- The Touryst
- Cross code
- Star Wars Squadrons
- WRC 9
- Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom
- Destiny 2 (on incoming patch?)

PS5
- Dirt 5
- WRC 9
- Borderlands 3
- Ni-Oh Collection (coming soon?)

Last edited:

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
It's really hard to go back to 60hz after being on 144hz for a while, it's something you get used to & then 60hz feels shitty.

Freshmaker

Oct 28, 2017
I find it so hilarious and kind of sad that so many gamers are all "EWW 30 FPS BARF". I mean what a way to limit your experience.

Today I went from playing Miles Morales on PS5 to my current replay of Ocarina of Time (playing my original N64 cart). You know how much my enjoyment differs between the two despite one having 60fps or 4K/RT etc and one being sub-30fps and dips super low often?

It doesn't. If anything I find the slow down in Ocarina charming and nostalgic.
Go play AVP on the Atari Jaguar. Bask in that 9fps.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
I think for me personally the "I don't really see a difference" point is beyond 90fps in games. But I definitely notice that extra 30fps.

Burger Time

Oct 26, 2017
I'm on PC but anything over 90Hz is a nice increase in framerate. 60 to 144Hz was a bigger jump than 144Hz to 240Hz for me but the biggest difference was 240Hz running with motion blur reduction. Biggest drawback to using it is the need for a high, consistent framerate. I think 480Hz might be good enough for a while but it's already hard to hit 120 fps on AAA games even at 1080p.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
There's no way I know of to get an fps readout from gakes on PS5/XSX without special external equipment.

As for games that support 120fps, off the top of my head

Xbox Series X
- Ori and the Will of the Wisps
- Gears 5
- Halo Master Chief Collection
- Dirt 5
- Borderlands 3
- Call of Duty Warzone
- Call of Duty Modern Warfare?
- The Falconeer
- The Touryst
- Cross code
- Star Wars Squadrons
- WRC 9

PS5
- Dirt 5
- WRC 9
- Borderlands 3
- Ni-Oh Collection (coming soon?)

Oh this is perfect thanks so much!

Surface

Nov 6, 2017
Well I was until yesterday in the camp that I cant tell difference between 30 and 60

Now I have a 34" monitor running 1440p and my HDMI port cant handle 60fps so its stuck at 30. First time I see my mouse cursor is lagging, the faster I move there more cursors I see

Def. Need to get my monitor up to 60 fps xD

One day I shall witness 120/144

Satori

Nov 13, 2017
Man, I never thought I would be in the camp of ever needing anything more than 60 fps. But ever since I got my 144hz monitor, I simply can not go back. I just can not explain it but it just feels nice not only in gaming but just using the PC it self

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
Well I was until yesterday in the camp that I cant tell difference between 30 and 60

Now I have a 34" monitor running 1440p and my HDMI port cant handle 60fps so its stuck at 30. First time I see my mouse cursor is lagging, the faster I move there more cursors I see

Def. Need to get my monitor up to 60 fps xD

One day I shall witness 120/144
It will be glorious, I been there since last month and will never get a 60hz monitor for gaming ever again.

Dec 11, 2017
I've noticed games like Gears 5 still need 120fps turned on via an in-game menu. Just allowing 120hz from the console dashboard isn't enough. So you may think you're playing in 120fps when you're actually still at 60fps.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Going back from 120 to 60 feels to me like going from 60 to 30, it's so stuttery.
But the amount of impact depends on the genre, for example FPS benefit hugely from 120, while in strategy or disbloesque games it's very minor.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
If I look at aide to side comparisons I notice a difference.
But if I'm not going back and forth the difference between 60 and 120 is almost non existent to me. Hell 30fps seems fine to me. As long as the frame rate is at least 30 and is consistent, it works for me.

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
The biggest difference I can notice is the increased motion resolution, however that is more of an artifact of sample and hold display technology without black frame insertion than it is an inherent advantage of rendering 120fps. Enabling black frame insertion with 60hz content on my OLED gives me the same motion resolution and negates a lot of the benefits of 120fps rendering without the extreme cost in GPU and CPU resources (and the inevitably increased variability in frame rate).

BFI doesn't play nicely with HDR though (as it effectively halves peak brightness, which really needs to be maintained on an OLED in HDR) so there is the benefit that you can enjoy that increased motion resolution with HDR content

In SDR content I don't instantly notice a dramatic difference going between 120hz and 60hz + BFI but after an hour + playing at 120hz then 60hz will look more framey when I jump back.

For me, frametime consistency is my primary goal, especially given I'm using an OLED without VRR which also means 120hz is restricted to 1080p for me. There's just too many trade offs and not enough benefit and achieving a true locked 120fps (i.e. 0.1% frametime of 8.3ms) is incredibly demanding no matter what hardware you have, so I'll stick to 60hz. A genuine locked 60hz is still incredibly smooth and gives a great experience on a controller. 120hz that dips down to 100hz on a semi regular occasion is far more jarring on a display without VRR.

Babus

Oct 27, 2017
I easily notice the change from 30 to 60 fps but I didn't notice any difference in the change from 60 to 120 fps. Days ago, I started to see it and it's spectacular. But what difference is that?

Let's go back in time, on the tube televisions. On these TVs the resolution is the same when you see a still or moving image. This gives incredible clarity to all elements of the game.

The technology changed and we went into the LCD era. We had a series of advantages such as higher resolution, smaller TVs but a series of disadvantages in relation to the tube as well and one of them is the so-called motion resolution.

when there is movement in the game, be it enemies or scenery, the resolution drops. I'm not talking about the "motion blur" effect that some games have to "blur" the scene and give that feeling of speed.

This loss of resolution of moving objects is a characteristic of LCD and similar technologies. "Okay, got it. What about 120 fps in this story?" That's it, in games that run at 120 fps the images are clear again, even those in motion, as it was in Tubes TV 15 years ago!

60 fps already improves that, but the image is still a little blurry in motion. But at 120 fps, everything is clear. Well, this is what I realized in the games I played at 120 fps:

Ori: you can change between 60 and 120 fps and as the game is 2D, it is very noticeable on the stage
Gears 5: the campaign is 60 fps and the multi is 120 fps, so you can see the difference well;
Halo (all of them)
The Touryst: very cute indie game!

I'am 43 years too and expect to play many years!

Glimpse_Dog

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It feels night and day with mouse + keyboard.
The different isn't as apparent with gaming with a controller, but it's there.

I think this is a factor that probably gets underplayed. Camera on pc typically moves faster than on consoles (cos of twitch mouse controllers) unless you turn your joystick sensitivity waaaay up. I'd barely notice 120 at all on Gears from 60, but maybe I would on pc?

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
Clarity on fast turning is greatly improved.

You don't need to render twice as many frames to increase motion resolution though. What you're describing here is increased motion resolution which can be achieved while rendering at 60hz. Enabling black frame insertion or using a Plasma or CRT will give you the increased motion resolution that you're describing here.

I think it's important that we separate the limitations of bog standard sample and hold and the real benefits of rendering at 120fps. Reduced input latency and increased animation frames are inherent benefits of 120fps. Reducing the blur when spinning a camera produced from 60hz sample and hold is not, and it's something that can be remedied display side without increasing the rendering load of the console/PC.

Ravager777

Jan 1, 2018
I have a 60 Hz monitor and a 120 Hz TV. I also have a RTX 3070 so I am able to play most older games at 120+ FPS even at 4K. Games feel much smoother on the TV although I percieve the difference between 60 Hz and 120 Hz to be smaller than the difference between 30 Hz and 60 Hz. I am 30 years old btw.

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
So there are some elite people here saying 60 fps looks awful and it makes them nauseous lmao.
I wouldn't say it's awful, but you notice it and it feels choppy. It's like experiencing 30fps, then going back to sub 20. Experiencing 60fps, then going back to 30. If you are used to double the FPS, going back will feel choppy.
Fifteen years ago, this post would read "So there are some elite people here saying 720p looks awful lmao." and complaining about 720p at that time would have certainly been lmao-worthy. But it's 2020 now, and everyone is used to 1080p, soon 4k. 720p feels very subpar now, even though we were fine with it not too long ago.
There's less people used to 120fps, but especially once VRR hits on PS5 people will get used to higher framerates and yes, become as jaded about 60fps as people are about 30fps.
That feeling of buttery smoothness with 120fps? You take it for granted easily and everything that was fine before becomes stuttery.

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
I can both feel it and see it. I have a 1440p gsync 144hz monitor and a 1080p 60hz on my desk and it pains me to use the second monitor honestly. Just moving the mouse around feels awful.

I console game on a LG B9 (occasionally plug my PC in too) and yea can notice it there - admittedly less so than with a mouse but it's still there

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
The input lag difference alone between 120/144 vs everything else is very, very noticeable. That's why it 'feels' better.

Torian

Aug 16, 2019
I personally notice the difference between 60 and 144hz way more on PC in conjecture with a mouse. If I play with a controller it's still noticeable but not as much.

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
The sweet spot for me is 90-100 FPS with G-Sync, above that it becomes much harder to discern extra frames, at least on my 165hz G-Sync monitor.