• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Can you tell 120 from 60?

• Yes. OP is just an old man who needs to retire from gaming.

Votes: 933 68.9%
  • No. I don't know what I should be seeing. Also I am old like the OP and bad at gaming now. :p

Votes: 190 14.0%
  • Yes. But just barely. My coolness and oldness are fluid.

Votes: 232 17.1%

• Total voters

Deleted member 84505

user requested account closure
Banned
Nov 2, 2020
I'm the same. 41 years old. Just bought an LG CX for my PS5 and Series X. My Series X says i'm all set up for 120fps and i can select that mode in Ori.

I tried Ori and MAYBE could see a slight difference in motion between 60 and 120fps, but i REALLY had to look. I noticed the downscaled 6K resolution in the 60fps mode far more than i could see any motion difference in the 120fps mode.

I tired the Halo update last night. Is it 120fps in Halo CE single player mode? Because I could not tell any difference over 60fps at all. The only thing i noticed was the cut scenes seemed to have jitters etc and not be even a solid 60fps.

I can easily see the difference between 30fps and 60fps, but over 60fps my eyes just can't tell.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
Not much seeing, but feeling.
That said, there is a TREMENDOUS drop-off of improvement after 90 FPS to a point where I don't think it's worth it.

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
Its subtle for me compared to 30 to 60
Obviously the higher you go the less difference it makes. going from 30 to 60 you reduce the time a frame is on the screen a lot more than going from 60 to 120. Going from 1fps to 2fps is also an infinitely larger difference than going from 2fps to a googolplex fps for obvious reasons.

liquidmetal14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I came in here to say that you should just play nothing but 120 for a week and then go back to 60. Or even with gsync, watch the frame rate as it dips into even the 80s and lower which, while smooth, will be felt. It may feel subtle but your eyes don't lie despite your mental perception.

But I wanted to add that the motion, even if you think it's placebo, ABSOLUTELY does impact how high end it feels.

I don't this it's even arguable to say that 60/120fps options on new consoles are next gen features unto themselves. When I played RE3 at 4k120 on my 3080, settings maxed, I had not felt such an impact since probably the PS2 days and harkening back to the first 3d stuff on mainstream successful consoles like Saturn and PS1.

I want to agree with you more but thinking about it more and it's not feasible to downplay 2x fps in your display/panel.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
Sorry but there's really no "not seeing 120hz". If you are unable to tell 8.3 ms differences in motion it is definitely not safe for you to operate a vehicle.

Spiritreaver

Oct 26, 2017
Lol, saw this thread and tabbed into WoW capped at 144 fps. Smooth as fuck. Dropped the cap to 60 and it's a pretty jarring difference. Nametags are harder to follow as you move, and you can see the drop in framerate in animations and movement. I dropped to 30 and it's an even bigger difference.

So yea, I can tell and I don't wanna go back to being content with 60.

Oct 25, 2017
I have gotten the impression that 120fps/144fps is nothing but revolutionary up until these new consoles have come out where the response is pretty muddled.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if it makes any difference (tv's vs pc monitors), but on pc, it's super easy to tell - 30 vs 60 vs 120/144. Maybe on tv's, it's harder to tell? My tv can only do 60, so I can't offer any insight there, but on pc monitors, the difference is night/day for me. And I don't think age matters. I'm probably older than the vast majority of the people here, and I'm able to easily discern the difference on pc monitors.

dd492941

Oct 28, 2017
I never thought I cared about high frame rates until demons souls. Then going from performance mode to quality mode was like night and day. Quality mode pales in comparison to the performance mode.

Gwarm

Nov 13, 2017
I played Apex on a friends 120hz monitor and I really couldn't tell the difference between 60hz and 120hz. Maybe if I had more time with it I would notice. The jump from 30 fps to 60 fps is huge and important too, so I was surprised that I couldn't notice.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
*for me*... on a desktop monitor hell yes it makes a difference. and my eyesight is terrible

5+ ft away from a 50-65" tv i can't really notice shit. i think bloodborne is the only game that really chafed me here... i'm kind of perplexed when people scream bloody murder about 30 fps on console but then again everybody is not me, some play console on monitor, ect

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like the responsiveness is more felt on a control scheme like mouse. When you flick and the frames are still smooth and super responsive because of the speed of each frame, it's more noticeable. When using an analog stick, it's still going to accelerate only at a certain max speed which won't be really as noticed between 60 and 120. But that's IMO and others might disagree. It also might be more noticed in a genre that has fast-moving images like a racing game.

Cosmo Kramer

Prophet of Regret - Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
México
I tried a couple of matches at 120 on Cold War on my PS5 and it felt the same as i'm used to. I did terribly in both matches btw lol

I want an analisis to see what's the trade off before deciding what to stick with

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
You are not old OP. I am 53, I am old. lol. But yeah, I can tell big time. If you play at 120 for a while then go back and replay the exact same game/area etc. you can feel it big time. For me my first 120 experience was Ori and at first I thought it was no big deal, it was very smooth but no big deal...played a good hour or so then switched to 60fps and it felt sluggish for a pretty long time...eventually the more I played at 60 it subdued but yeah, I can feel it big time.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I can definitely see the difference immediately, but you can clearly feel the difference in motion. Just play any fps at 120 vs 60 and its a world of difference.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
It really depends on the game, it's most noticeable in first person shooters. In racing games I feel like the difference is very minor. Input lag is cut in half though, so it's always a benefit, if gameplay is the most important to you.

Etain

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like it's more of a revelation for moving my mouse cursor than game playing so far, but maybe I need to try again with an FPS or something.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
30, 60, 120, 165. I can notice the difference between all of them. It's not only noticeable during games, but also navigating the UI and is a big reason why I hope Sony supports 1440p120 in the future.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
I can see it 100% perfectly once I got my 1440p 165hz monitor and would rather play shooters at 120fps than 60fps nowadays.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
It's a massive difference. I can definitely see it, which is why I use a CRT to play games at HFR.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
I can tell, though the difference from 30 to 60 is 1,000x more impactful to me. 60 fps is more essential for me where 120 fps is a "nice to have".

liquidmetal14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
It really is a out that feeling the lower response time enables. It's science, irrefutable.

I'm not saying that to be pompous but it's just a fact.

I don't disagree that preferring lower res in favor of performance is wrong either.

I stand by my points. It's just not something your mind ever does not notice when dwelling in a 120hz+ world for extended periods of time. If you can't notice then there may be something wrong.

Frankly this is new to probably the majority of people even on here since high refresh rates are just becoming a thing while on PC we have had these luxuries for YEARS.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
I finally recently got the chance to demo 120 FPS on a monitor that can display it, and...I was largely unimpressed. I could see a marginal difference from 60, but IMO it's nowhere near worth the performance hit required for it.

60 is already just about perfect. I don't need any more than that, and hopefully it's what most devs shoot for this gen.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
It's not as distinct when playing on a controller. Using a mouse and keyboard on a shooter makes it a night and day difference.

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
It's very noticeable on PC with a M+KB. If you're playing something at ~120 and it suddenly drops to 60 it feels a little stuttery. Not like 30 fps stuttery, but slightly. I'm 37.

FancyPants

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Same here, ish. LG OLED CX and the jump from 30 to 60 is gigantic, while the jump to 120 is subtle. I'd rather have the full bells and whistle 4k60 than 120 fps tbh.

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Maybe this is the right thread to ask. Because I have a TV that claim to support 1080p 120hz but can't notice any difference (unlike going from game mode to the ISF). I do have a 144hz monitor and that feels completely different. It's almost as if the TV is just 90hz or something, which is too little of a difference for me to be noticeably better (my phone is 90hz). What the fuck? It's a Philips 55PUS7304/12

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
It's a huge difference and makes me wonder if something is not configured correctly if you don't see it.
  1. I would check that your TV is set to game mode with motion smoothing disabled. Motion smoothing tries to recreate the look of 120 FPS for 30/60 FPS sources, but adds a lot of input lag and visual artifacts.
  2. The C9/CX also have a bug causing stuttering when VRR is enabled right now. I don't know the extent that it affects those games in particular, but you might want to try disabling it until the firmware fix is out. Things may not be as smooth as they ought to be.
Is it really THAT hard for you to play games at lower fidelity?
Yes, I get severely motion sick from most 30 FPS games.

delete

Jul 4, 2019
I can definitely tell the difference between 60hz and 90hz on my phone even. Looking forward to trying it out eventually on the PS5 once it has VRR enabled and a game I am interested in it supports it.

Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely, yes. Running 1440p@120hz Freesync gaming monitor on XsX with the stock controller that has the DLI and my accuracy is insanely better. Clarity on fast turning is greatly improved. COD and Gears5 at 120fps is night and day difference, for me.

Puggles

Sometimes, it's not a fart
Nov 3, 2017
I can see the difference but I don't play games that require higher refresh rates. I'll choose 60 FPS at higher settings over 120hz.

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
On PC 120 hz/fps vs 60 is a huge difference.. maybe your setup is not working right.

Another reason could be that you always used interpolation on your Tv so you always had 60 fps with interpolation and that's pretty close to 120 fps in movement.

aspiring

Oct 25, 2017
Can I change my vote? I couldn't see, but having tried Halo I'm a believer. Massive difference!