• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
No. Both systems were gettable in stores as opposed to you have to order online. Sony wasn't doing their own store and having to set stock aside for it. Both consoles had several pre-order waves at GameStop and shipped even more than preorders day one. (This I know firsthand, as I ran a GS at the time.) They were still selling out, but shipping in faster.
However, 360, PS3, and of course Wii were much much harder than this.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
No, I could walk into any store around here during launch week and get a PS4. I bought a PS4 Pro with zero issues too.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Preordered a ps4 with no issues on Amazon when preorders went up, didn't even rush hard to preorder.

Ps5 the only window I had to try and preorder was like a 10 second window right when the 2nd wave of peorders on Amazon in my country went up where I managed to get it into the cart but then got fucked by site errors. This time around shit feels so limited that it doesn't even feel like the console properly launched yet more like a early access soft launch for some

Last edited:

Vidpixel

Oct 27, 2017
Eh I preordered a PS4 online, same with my PS5 this year so it's hard for me to gauge. But with the whole pandemic thing going on, I'm sure the shortages this year are tenfold.

Venatio

Oct 25, 2017
You could literally preorder both for 2 months after they went live on Amazon.

This time it took like 5 min to run out of stock on Amazon.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
PS1 - Walked in to Babbages during midnight launch. No problems. Shortage of controllers and memory cards meant no 2-player or game saving for about a week until stock landed.

PS2 - Can't recall where I got it, but it was launch. Friends had tremendous difficulty getting one for months though.

PS3 - meh...I waited until they announced 60gb was being discontinued months after launch before forcing myself to buy for BC. Hard to believe they went from removing rumble to Dualsense btw...

Pre-ordered a PS4 without any issue after E3 showing off Amazon. Arrived launch day many months later.

Pre-Ordered a PS4 Pro without issue on Amazon when announced. Got lost during shipping and was refunded. Immediately ran to GameStop whom had plenty on day 1 for a walk-in purchase.

PS5 - Pre-ordered on Walmart in Sep. Shipping was delayed until Monday, but I got it.

Tonypark

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
Nope. For PS4 I walked in a store on day 1 or 2 in a big city (montreal) and got one. No line up nothing. Now for PS5 it's like it didn't even launch yet.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
It was easier for me to get preorders last time, but I was still able to get preorders this time around

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
No. To be fair the hype for these consoles wasn't this high and add the fact that everyone is buying them online because of COVID and how easily websites break and supply is also very short due to COVID and we have this mess.

Pat_DC

Oct 27, 2017
in Sydney, Australia getting a PS4 without preordering one was impossible for a while.
I had some down time in between jobs so decided to try my luck over a few days. I remember calling up stores and being laughed at by some... then calling one of the JB-HiFis in the middle of the city and they were just getting a shipment in, dude couldn't hold it or anything so I made a mad run there. Was pretty exciting finally tracking one down.

PlatypusDude

Oct 25, 2017
After it launched the PS4 was hard to find until March or April of 2014 if I remember correctly. Around the time Infamous: Second Son they seemed to become more widely available.

For the lead up though, I remember for the PS4 my family was able to pre-order me one for Christmas a few week, I think, after they opened instore at Gamestop. So the pre-order circus definately wasn't as much a thing.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
I remember if you weren't able to secure a PS4 right around launch day, you were going to be waiting a couple months before supply caught up, in the U.S. at least. Xbox One was really easy to find in my experience.

Norris1020

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't preorder so my can't attest to that, but I didn't see either console available in store until around late February of 2014, which was the Xbox One. Probably another month before I saw any PS4's.

Dec 11, 2017
This thread got me to check eBay prices. Sorting by "Ending Soonest" both the PS5 and Series X are actually consistently selling for ~$850 right now. Even the Series S is selling for over $400.

xendless

Teyvat Traveler
Jan 23, 2019
I had no interest at launch, however my mum surprised me by going down to a shop and pre-ordered a PS4 for me casually.
I was very grateful but I gave the order to my cousin who wanted it more in the months towards launch.
I don't think she or I would have been able to do that this time. And I live in a covid free country.

Koppai

Oct 25, 2017
I did not have trouble getting my PS4, ordered it on Amazon whenever preorders went up and had zero issues.

PS5 I was able to preorder on Walmart.com but it did take a few minutes to get through checkout.

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017
This console launch was a shit show. But I easily snagged a PS5 when it hit GS systems right after the press conference. Wii has been the hardest to get and PS2 would have been if I had the ability to snag a pre order at the Funcoland I worked at.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
I did the same thing both times: Followed people that would tweet or whatever the second stuff goes live and placed an order the second that happened.

PAX tickets sell out in seconds and have an undisclosed on sale time so I've had practice. That probably helped.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Right now the consoles are comparable to the Wii imo.

Isnt this a bit premature? The Wii was effectively sold out in stores for the first 6 months and still casually hard to find in stock at a store for a year after that. These consoles are hot right now but I can't imagine even the ps5 staying that way for as long.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Getting a PS4 at launch was easy for me. I did not even preorder.

I decided the day before, (November 14, 2013) to get one at GameStop. went there before 5:00pm I waited in line, got the 2nd or 3rd last one. Went home, came back before midnight on the 15th to pick it up.

I did not even try with PS5 or Xbox Series X. I'm fine with waiting until February or March (or soon after, hopefully).

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
At least Amazon had the decency to just delay my pre-order shipping then instead of outright declaring it "undeliverable" out of nowhere in the middle of the night a few hours after shipping it this time around.

I've seen a lot of people having their Amazon pre-orders declared "undeliverable" for some reason.

Last edited:

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
PS4 was probably the easiest mainline PlayStation to get at launch, but even then it was sold out everywhere for the first few months.

PS2 and PS3 were way harder though, even despite PS3's price and bad press.

Oct 25, 2017
PS2 seemed crazy hard at the time. The internet wasn't what it was so locating stock was really difficult, if there even was any. I remember going on ebay for the first time but they were selling for like $700 around launch.

There was plenty of opportunity to pre-order it, though. I pre-ordered one with a local shop but they went out of business and kept my deposit.

Radline

Oct 28, 2017
As someone who never had alerts like Wario64, coming across a PS4 online felt easier, especially when bundles were given.

The fact that this is online only due to COVID and people needing something to do while staying inside is making getting either extremely difficult. I only got a PS5 because of looking out for one in September. It didn't feel like bots were this aggressive that month.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
I think I got both my PS4 and PS4 Pro from Newegg, and got them both on release day.

But I have noticed that recollections of time seem to blend together once a few years have gone by. You may "remember" that you got it "right after launch", but it may very well have been weeks or even months later. Close enough to still be "launch window", but nowhere near a short a time as we're talking about right now. It's been what.. a week? Give it some time.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
PS4 I waited in line at Best Buy with like 40 other people for a midnight launch and got one, no preorder. PS5 I opened the target website around the time the xbox for instore pickup had gone live 2 days prior. Kept an eye on it and saw an add to cart button eventually, snagged one pretty easily. I didn't even decide I was gonna get one until I was at work that day, last weds.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Getting a PS4 was kind of difficult. Xbox Ones were easy to come by. Pretty sure COVID has affected manufacturing this go around.

Zolbrod

Oct 27, 2017
Osaka, Japan
I can only speak for Japan, but the PS2, PS3, and PS5 are/were all insanely hard to get. Same goes for any Nintendo hardware.
PS4 was super easy. I managed to get a pre-order a couple of days after they started just by walking into a store, and even on launch day it wasn't too hard to find units.

I'm sure COVID plays a part in it this time, but it's almost always been an issue.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Was hard but not as hard I don't think. I pretty comfortably was able to pre-order on amazon the PS4 and had it shipped same day with no issues.

Wasn't an insane overly frantic mad refreshing war or worrying about low stock. Bots and Covid problems a double whammy bad recipe

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
I preordered both systems as soon as they were available to do so and received both on launch day with XOne and PS4.

I was unable to obtain either of the new consoles...

thefit

Oct 25, 2017
PS4 was Xbox was plentiful. Got both the PS4 and PS5 preordered and arrived on their launch dates but I have to say I was really lucky on the ps5 by notleaving the announcement thread as others decided to nap and then Walmart breaking the internet by immediately having preorders up.

Kensation

Enlightened
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
PS4 was easy, it was available on Amazon right after the reveal. Series X I got lucky and managed to get in line at my Gamestop on pre-order day.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
I remember that night E3 all preorders going up and having zero issues with websites.

This time......everything fucking dies when someone gets stock

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Didn't have a problem getting either and both were in stores in the states outside of launch week regularly.

pixeldreams

Oct 27, 2017
There was definitely way more opportunities to preorder, but after launch it's about the same, took me a month of heavy searching before I was able to grab a PS4.