• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RoboitoAM

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I can, but the experience is such a downgrade. Ever since using my Gsync monitor, I've become spoiled.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I still manage to.

But I can't even play 30 fps games for shit anymore without them feeling awful coming from 100+

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
I just wish more stuff I played took advantage of it.

Probably my fault for mostly playing single player console ports and 2D indie games šŸ˜…

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
Yep.

Second most noticeable and worthwhile upgrade to your setup, with the first being a SSD.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
VRR monitors are a game-changer. Then again, all things involving FPS are game-changers. Image quality takes on a whole new meaning when you exit photo mode.

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
They're awesome and I enjoy playing on them at friends' houses, but I haven't taken the plunge because I only really play SP games, for which 60 fps is more than adequate, and afaik they're not compatible with an AVR setup. As much as I'd enjoy the lower latency, I'm disinclined to sacrifice audio quality. Tips for VRR + decent audio setup for a small study welcome.. I'm on the precipice; just need a push!

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Same. When people said it was a game-changer, it for once wasn't hyperbole.

m29a

Oct 25, 2017
I genuinely haven't noticed any major screen tearing since having a 144hz monitor for the last couple years. Obviously it exists, but in my experience it's nowhere near as noticeable as it was on my old 60hz monitor.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Playing games at 1440p/144hz FreeSync is the top-tier gaming experience. I played through Inside like that on my IPS monitor a few days ago, and it was pretty amazing.

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I have a 27" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync sitting next to my 43" 60Hz HDR 4K. I play games fine equally on both... sometimes even moving my PC games to the 4K when I want the bigger display/resolution. I don't see it as a downgrade or distraction. Kinda feel bad for those this has such a detrimental effect on.

ZSJ

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 21, 2019
I can't relate. Having a 1440p 27 inch 144hz Freesync and an LG OLED, I never choose Freesync unless I'm playing CSGO.

Picture quality makes a world of difference. Fucking done with these LCDs and their trash colors and contrast. Except when I need to play CS :p

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Not that I can't live without it, but I will go for high frame rate and g-sync over 4K whenever there's a choice.

I hope the next generation of consoles has some games with 100+ FPS modes so people with compatible VRR TVs can get in on this. I could see it being a next gen selling point for stuff like Rocket League, Fortnite, and Minecraft.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
I wish there was a place to play around with high refresh monitors. Every Fry's I've ever been to has 144hz monitors on display but there always hooked up to PCs without any games. See the mouse move around the desktop smoothly is neat, but you'd think they'd have it running a game to show it off.

Same at Best Buy, they always have gaming PCs on display that don't have any games installed, so you can mess around the desktop with a machine they're claiming is a beast gaming rig. I wonder how much more popular PC gaming would be if you could easily visit a retail store and see games like Star Citizen running on high settings, or console ports running at high FPS at 1440p+, or a shooter running at 144hz.

I've really only ever gamed on consoles (I played the Sims and Civ on my parent's old desktop but that's the extent of my PC gaming) but I strongly prefer playing games at 60fps. I assume I'd love gaming on a 1440p, 144hz screen (ultra-wide monitors seem very cool as well) but it's worrying to spend $1,000+ on a PC before I know whether or not I think it's worth it.

DeaDPooL_jlp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I was just playing Sea of Thieves for the first time on my new gaming PC while my wife played beside me on her X1X and the difference in how smooth the camera pans and water flow were was pretty drastic. Its nuts that I used to assume that was the best gaming could be, and I agree I dont think I could go back.

Mr.Beep

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
So if do you just let a game go over 60fps and as long as you have a high monitor refresh rate, gsync will work it out for you?

Or do I need to have the hardware to run AAA games at like 100fps.