• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mezati99

Banned
Feb 6, 2019
Planet Earth
maybe because i have been a PC gamer my entire life, but i simply cannot play any shooter with a controller , i am fucking terrible at it, i can manage just fine with hack and slash games but shooters? i play like a fucking 5 yo kid

people said practice bit i've been trying for few months now with no results, i am just too used to the keyboard and mouse

i need some tips lads

Nov 8, 2017
It took me a year of playing quite a few shooters on the 360 to get good after being PC focused. I mean I'd played a few on console (some bond games and Resi 4) but most of my time had been on PC. I don't think there's any specific tips anyone can give you. These days I can switch back and forth easily but it did not come easy.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
It's just practice. Adjusting the sensitivity in the options until you are comfortable may help?

Nov 8, 2017
Oh something did come to mind - it's often just as easy or easier to aim at the right height then strafe to hit your target, versus just moving your aim. On M&KB just aiming is the fastest way to hit someone and strafing is more a defensive thing.

Have you tried inverting Y axis?

Absolutely haram.jpg

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Tip: keep on playing with KB&M then. I'm currently playing outer worlds with KB&m because of the first person shooting. I'll play jedi fallen order with a controller though.

That's the beauty of pc gaming, it's customizable and you are deciding.

Personally it took me years to get used to playing a console exclusive shooter with a controller. Still don't like it though and I'm not good at it.

品川駅

Banned
Aug 15, 2019
Tokyo, Japan
Learn how to use motion controls and that will change the game.

I feel you, I used to play high level quake 3 in my youth on PC and analog sticks feel like a huge step back in every area.

furfoot

Dec 12, 2017
Only game I can play decently online with a controller is Splatoon 2 mainly due to addition of motion controls. Beasting on mouse/keyboard though as I grew up with Quakeworld/Quake 3.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I remember when I first tried to play games dual analog, it was so hard.
I forget about it now, but I see it when I give my controller to people that don't play games how the 2 sticks is a knack you need to have.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I had a hard time the first few months, but then I learned to also move and sidestep (with the right stick) while nudging the crosshair where I want it with the "aim" stick. It's usually faster than just moving the cursor across the screen and it works okay.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
It really depends on the game how controllers feel, Titanfall felt flawless with a controller. Responsive and snappy and accurate. Destiny feels fine, its accurate, feels right but it's also slow and it falls apart when you have to move quickly or do PVP. Battlefield V felt like playing underwater in slowmotion.

effin

Jan 20, 2019
Oh something did come to mind - it's often just as easy or easier to aim at the right height then strafe to hit your target, versus just moving your aim. On M&KB just aiming is the fastest way to hit someone and strafing is more a defensive thing.

Absolutely haram.jpg
This was the biggest thing that helped me. I almost always play TPS/FPS games on a PC, but if I'm playing it on a console I found that I'd use the right analog/aim stick to almost act as my macro movement, and then use strafing to act as my micro movement to help me stay on target.

Using the left analog stick to help me aim was what made those games serviceable for me on a controller.

Jan 20, 2019
m o t i o n c o n t r o l s

Seriously, such a game changer for moving/aiming with twin sticks. I hope we see it as an option more and more often!

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
Can't believe I beat Uncharted 4. I really felt like a stormtrooper most of the time. I don't know why motion controls or aim adjust can't be implemented

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
I've been playing consoles for so many years, that returning to PC gaming has been a headache, so my issue is the inverse of yours OP lol. It's just practice basically. I'm playing smaller indie FPS games with little combat, and oldschool RPGs, to get used to looking around with the mouse and WASD to move around. Feels so weird and uncomfortable.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
M&KB is so much more enabling in shooters and it's not even just about the aiming. If you're playing on PC then fuck it, just keep sticking to M&KB. Even if you get good at playing shooters with a controller, it'll never be quite the same.
These days I'll pretty much go out of my way to play any game with mouse and keyboard, if camera control is a major component of gameplay, or if simultaneous access to aiming and core functions (like those typically mapped to face buttons) will enable a higher level of play. Only time I use a controller these days is if I'm playing a racing game/fighting game, mp console games, or games that just can't be played well with a mouse/keyboard (like RDR2 on consoles).
What's got you wanting to use a controller more? If it's a comfort thing then I definitely echo the sentiment that using and getting used to motion controls helps. If you've got a motion control-enabled controller like the DS4 or Switch Pro controller, then you should learn how to set that functionality up on Steam and give it a shot.

Last edited:

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Play Splatoon and at least you'll be able to play one. The skills won't transfer to the other games but at least it's way easier to learn

Maeros

Dec 21, 2017
My main tip what i see beginners do wrong is forget that they are sensitive sticks. So dont always push all the way to the left or right. Push the stick half-way or sometimes just 10%.. its very fine tuned. This way you can aim more precise when neccesary. Ofcourse sometimes you have to push the sitcks in all the way.

And play around with sensitivity settings in the options menu.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
The common issue is that some folks turn their sensitivity all the way up thinking it will match the same aiming as PC or at least close to it, but it usually only makes things worse because the highest sensitivity doesn't always match with the game's dead zone setting thus giving terrible feedback to the aiming.

Faster isn't always better.
This is coming from someone who never, ever use aim assist on consoles and can still do very decent in multiplayers games against people who have aim assist on.

Find the right setting and practice with it, you will be able to move your sights as if you're moving it with your hands.

EDIT:
There're exceptions though, some games came with shitty aiming and terrible dead zones and there's nothing you can do about it. i.e. RDR2

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
Gyro aim if you play on the PC using something other than an Xbox controller (which don't have gyro).

Otherwise strafing sideways is for fine aiming and the aiming stick is for trying to get it somewhere in the right direction.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
maybe because i have been a PC gamer my entire life, but i simply cannot play any shooter with a controller , i am fucking terrible at it, i can manage just fine with hack and slash games but shooters? i play like a fucking 5 yo kid

people said practice bit i've been trying for few months now with no results, i am just too used to the keyboard and mouse

i need some tips lads
Yeah that would be a huge step back. No matter what people think, dual analog controllers are really far from intuitive and i don't think i will ever really get used to them. Compared to the super-easy point and click of a mouse it must be a hell for people coming of PC.
The wiimote was much more intuitive but Bro-s don't want to play with them "kiddy" things. So dual analog is it for consoles. It's sad since they're ony really good for games like Stardust HD.

ShaDowDaNca

Nov 1, 2017
I feel the same way about keyboard and mouse and avoid any type of game that doesn't have controller support.

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
We all know that a mouse is way more accurate than a stick. But I wonder, why is that? Is it because the sticks are still shitty and imprecise with huge dead zones? Or is it because our thumbs are just inherently less dexterous than our wrists?

rodrigolfp

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The common issue is that some folks turn their sensitivity all the way up thinking it will match the same aiming as PC or at least close to it, but it usually only makes things worse because the highest sensitivity doesn't always match with the game's dead zone setting thus giving terrible feedback to the aiming.

Faster isn't always better.
This is coming from someone who never, ever use aim assist on consoles and can still do very decent in multiplayers games against people who have aim assist on.

Find the right setting and practice with it, you will be able to move your sights as if you're moving it with your hands.

EDIT:
There're exceptions though, some games came with shitty aiming and terrible dead zones and there's nothing you can do about it. i.e. RDR2

And how do you turn aim assists off in games that you can't turn off like Halo, Destiny, CoD, BF, Gears, Uncharted, etc?

We all know that a mouse is way more accurate than a stick. But I wonder, why is that? Is it because the sticks are still shitty and imprecise with huge dead zones? Or is it because our thumbs are just inherently less dexterous than our wrists?
Both.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
And how do you turn aim assists off in games that you can't turn off like Halo, Destiny, CoD, BF, Gears, Uncharted, etc?

1. Never played any Halo or Gears game cause I'm mostly a PC/PlayStation guy.
2. I only ever played Destiny's beta and the moment I realized that I can't turn off aim assist I deleted it and didn't bother with the full release at all.
3. You can turn off aim assist in COD
4. You can totally turn off aim assist in Battlefield games, it's how I play BF4 & BF1 all these years.
5. You can turn off aim assist in Uncharted.

I only play shooters that allows you to turn off aim assist. It has nothing to do with ''hardcore'', it's just that I personally believe aim assist takes away the fun and defeats the point of shooters. The very reason why hitting target feels good is because you can miss, that's why getting a headshot feels more satisfying than a leg shot.

rodrigolfp

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
1. Never played any Halo or Gears game cause I'm mostly a PC/PlayStation guy.
2. I only ever played Destiny's beta and the moment I realized that I can't turn off the aim assist I deleted it and didn't bother with the full release at all.
3. You can turn off aim assist in COD
4. You can totally turn off aim assist in Battlefield games, it's how I play BF4 & BF1 all these years.
5. You can turn off the aim assist in Uncharted.
Hmm. Turn assists 100% off in COD, BF and UC is news to me :)

Deleted member 49535

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2018
I'm the complete opposite, I can't play them with KB&M, even though I do play other genres on PC with those controls.

Emmz

Oct 28, 2017

It's that stick-based aiming has to implement an acceleration scheme (i.e. the further you push it the faster your look speed). This behavior is necessary because the stick can only move ~1 inch in real space, while I have literally 30+ inches of space on my massive mousepad. I get speed from moving my arm fast, not by an arcane acceleration curve that goes from 0 to 60 way too fast. You can either have slow and precise or fast and imprecise on a controller, not both.

Z6E1Z9O

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
i have been a pc gamer for about 5 years now and i still cant play anything with keyboard and mouse

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Hmm. Turn assists 100% off in COD, BF and UC is news to me :)

Didn't really play COD and Uncharted at all but I do know you can turn them off, judging from your response I guess it's not actually off?
If so then the devs need to fix them, aim assist totally ruins the aim, at least for people like me.

For the record, I mostly play BF4 and Rainbow Six Siege and didn't really notice any aim assist at all. When I turned it off, that is.

Last edited:

Haribokart

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ok? I can't play anything except strategy games with a keyboard and mouse, must make a thread about it!

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Usually to make it comfortable to me I have to turn up the sensitivity. Default is usually far too low for me and turning left and right feels like an eternity.

staedtler

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
maybe videogames aren't for you and you should get into a different hobby like stamp collecting

Oct 28, 2017
The Dead Space games are the worst because controller aim is terrible as usual and the mouse aim has negative acceleration you can not turn off.

rodrigolfp

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I only play shooters that allows you to turn off aim assist. It has nothing to do with ''hardcore'', it's just that I personally believe aim assist takes away the fun and defeats the point of shooters. The very reason why hitting target feels good is because you can miss, that's why getting a headshot feels more satisfying than a leg shot.
Oh I 100% agree. Aim assist = no fun and defeats the point of shooters.
Didn't really play COD and Uncharted at all but I do know you can turn them off, judging from your response I guess it's not actually off?
If so then the devs need to fix them, aim assist totally ruins the aim, at least for people like me.

For the record, I mostly play BF4 and Rainbow Six Siege and didn't really notice any aim assist at all.
For CoD and BF on consoles/controller I really don`t know for sure because I only play with mouse on PC. For UC apparently there is an option to turn assist from 0 to 10.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
For me it was the opposite - I could never learn KB+Mouse and luckily it seems like I no longer need to.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Oh I 100% agree. Aim assist = no fun and defeats the point of shooters.

*Highfive*

I am probably the only console gamer on earth who hates aim assist with a burning passion.
Maybe it's because I grew up gaming on PC and mostly play shooters like Half-life 2 and F.E.A.R.

Part of me still loves PC gaming but I just don't have the time for it anymore, hell I barely have time to deal with PS4's updates and shit.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
Console shooters have relatively aggressive autoaim usually. Keep that in mind. You aren't going for pixel-perfect inputs on your end.

rodrigolfp

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
*Highfive*

I am probably the only console gamer on earth who hates aim assist with a burning passion.
Maybe it's because I grew up gaming on PC and mostly play shooters like Half-life 2 and F.E.A.R.

Part of me still loves PC gaming but I just don't have the time for it anymore, hell I barely have time to deal with PS4's updates and shit.

Is time a bigger problem on PC? Changing settings and updating video drivers takes little time, but much less than insane long loading screens on consoles and slow download speeds.

ShinNL

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
When I got Dragon's Dogma for the Switch and tried to aim with the bow, I realized I have zero right-analog aiming motor skills build up from playing on my Switch all the time. Literally can't aim, literally stopped using the bow.

I've gotten way too used to the Switch standard: use analog to put your POV in the general direction you want and micro adjust with motion controls. Without this I'm just as garbage as any beginner.