• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
It happened again. I thought it was behind me, but the dreams came back. I was up all night.

I can't eat. I can't sleep.

What's wrong? It haunts me.

"Oh, Steven not this again," my wife says at breakfast, as she sees me looking into the distance. I forgot about it for months.

But then I remembered that AI: the Somnium Files, the critically acclaimed Japanese visual novel, used the comic sans font for its inner monologue.

Image24.png

He just highlighted the dialogue, he clicked the drop down menu, and then he randomly selected comic sans. Like a thoughtless child wandering by a garden yanking leaves along the way.

He just got away with it. This man, this professional graphic designer. Was it laziness? Was it cruelty?

"You showed me this before," my best friend says as I show him the game. "I don't think this is literally comic sans. Maybe that was the starting point but they clearly modified this."

"But whatever they did," I answer, "it wasn't enough! And now here i am doing what I vowed to never do again, sitting outside his house, hoping to catch a glimpse of him to see him doing his little things, live his insane little life. I think about it every time I see comic sans."

"Okay. Where else do you even see this font?"

"Middle school power point presentations, doge memes, dorm room pamphlets..."

And then…

I know what you did. I know what you did!

Oct 27, 2017
If you like the Papyrus sketch check out Los Espookys on HBO or Julio Torres' stand up. I believe he wrote that sketch and his work today is pretty funny

Era Uma Vez

Feb 5, 2020
That's not comic-sans, that's actually a pretty aesthetic font.

Also, Ryan Gosling, from the way he's built, to the way he can carry a movie without barely speaking, has no right to be that funny. His sense of humor and delivery are incredible.

modestb

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
I mean maybe it was a starting point but they clearly modified it!!

One of my favorite SNL sketches ever

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That's clearly not comic sans, and even if it was, that's not necessarily a bad thing since it's arguably the most legible typeface ever made

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
The internet would explode if someone posted a photo of a pizza with pineapple in the shape of comic sans as a topping.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Close enough to Comic Sans for me to hate it. Thanks for highlighting this, OP. I will have to weigh this when considering buying this game in the future.

Runner

Nov 1, 2017
All that said, it's completely within Aiba's character to change the thought logging UI to be comic sans just to annoy date

OP
OP
Squid Bunny

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
That's not comic sans
Doesn't seem to be Comic sans despite being similar
Gu9O4KS.png
that's not comic sans
That actually... isn't Comic Sans. The hook on the Y is the dead giveaway.
That is not comic-sans at all.
Whatever they did to change it... IT WASN'T ENOUGH,
That font seems designed for readability. Comic? Sans the funny, maybe.

(As an SNL guest host, Ryan Gosling delivers for sure)
The alien abduction skit where he can't hold his laughter because of Kate McKinnon is an all-timer.
Close enough to Comic Sans for me to hate it. Thanks for highlighting this, OP. I will have to weigh this when considering to buy this game in the future.
Game is actually pretty good. I liked the characters, VA and multiple paths.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
It was pretty weird to see the review-bomb happen just as I started playing. Pretty great game, it was my first foray into VNs (not counting Ace Attorney) and I enjoyed it very much.

Review bomb has been excised by MC.Turns out one shitty Era member got obsessed with a character and decided to fuck with the reviews.

And yea, Ai was incredible.

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Ah Papyrus, no wonder the OP sounded familiar.

Great job all the same.