• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
He made that up. The next Bayformers movie hasn't been made yet (and I hope it never will be made, despite the fact that they're apparently "working on it"). But you probably believed it was real, didn't you? Because it fits.
I did not make it up. I'm talking about The Last Knight, the fifth film, and this character, Wahlberg's sidekick (for Plot A before the movie forgets it and starts a completely separate Plot B).

oHqJ9LL.jpg

Last edited:

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I did not make it up. I'm talking about The Last Knight, the fifth film, and this character, Wahlberg's sidekick (for Plot A before the movie forgets it and starts a completely separate Plot B).

oHqJ9LL.jpg
Ah, I saved myself some torment and skipped that movie. I thought by "next movie" you meant the "return to Bayformers" one that was just kinda-announced (despite the fact that Bumblebee succeeded in semi-rebooting the franchise, Hasbro can't help but screw things up). I thought you made up something completely ridiculous, but believable. I thought that you made a really good joke. Huh. Turns out it's actually real. Why am I not surprised?

RetroDLC

Oct 27, 2017
Knowing this joke exists in Transformers 4 made me decide to never watch the film, any future Bay films, and any future Transformers films ever again.

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't the recent Bumblebee movie actually kinda fine? I'm always down to watch a movie if it's getting decent word of mouth like that. I haven't seen it.

spidye

Oct 28, 2017
I've never seen this movie, and I wouldn't have believed that scene existed if I hadn't seen footage of it in a Lindsay Ellis video.

Found a version of the scene on Youtube (I guess ignore the random photoshopped wahlberg heads at the end?):

Like the movie literally stops to put the card right up in the middle of the screen, presumably so that you can pause the movie at home and read it.

Also. this dude had that shit on a laminated card, what kind of creepy bullshit

Holy fucking shit
I am dying here
How is michael bay on the fbi list after this? You can't get more obvious in your agenda

Arkaign

Nov 25, 2017
Man, I forgot about that lol.

I seem to eventually see these movies, but they're unique in that I get worn out DURING the films and forget the contents entirely by the time the credits roll. They're aggressively forgettable, which is kind of astonishing when you consider the budget and kaboomy flash. It's like wax paper and a lighter. Flash! Gone.

Oct 25, 2017
Like, they could of just made the girl 18 and nothing would of fucking changed plot wise, but Bay just needed to include this fucking thing in there for some reason. It's such a weird inclusion. Like I still can't believe that was an actual scene that made it into this movie.

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
Wasn't the recent Bumblebee movie actually kinda fine? I'm always down to watch a movie if it's getting decent word of mouth like that. I haven't seen it.
I mean. It's better on a character level because it makes an honest effort.
But since it underperformed, I believe the studio's takeaway is it didn't have enough Bayhem for international audiences.

I thought it had a good angle about the main character's despondency slowly moving into acceptance with Bumblebee as the metaphor of letting something go.

... the movie is oddly standoffish towards the big epic segment of the plot though. The villains are proper menacing but it takes a bunch of conveniences to get the encounter to happen, making the climax feel like another requisite third act CGI fest. The girl's goal's and the big robot's goals don't mesh.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I actually stopped watching the series after getting dragged to the theater by friends for the 2nd one.

Until I was bored over winter break and they popped up on Netflix.

My jaw also dropped at this scene and I remember pausing to check the release date in the UI. Crazy how a scene like this could be slipped in just 5 years ago. Though I guess it might be naive to believe they couldn't get away with the same thing today.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
That is a common-ish feeling amongst people but it is one I've never understood.

To me the first is the absolute worst Bayformers flick because it is operating under the delusion that it is a real movie with real characters and real drama and thus it is held back from the insanity that will grip the rest of the series and reach its glorious apex with The Last Knight. Which is easily the best film in the series for its unrelenting disregard for everything: the previous movies, the story being told, the characters, the audience.

An excellent craftsman by the name of Michael Bay, backed by an army of talented people and with limitless funds, crafted a one-of-a-kind masterpiece in which you can feel both his love for the art form and his complete disdain for the property he is working on in equal measure in almost every scene.

I'll miss you, Cade Yeager, you All-American Texan, inventor, father, hero, everyman, inventor, Knight of the Round table, inventor, you.

lk28eprl.gif
Normally that would be super implausible, but to be fair that IS Marky Mark.

Deleted member 19767

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That is a common-ish feeling amongst people but it is one I've never understood.

To me the first is the absolute worst Bayformers flick because it is operating under the delusion that it is a real movie with real characters and real drama and thus it is held back from the insanity that will grip the rest of the series and reach its glorious apex with The Last Knight. Which is easily the best film in the series for its unrelenting disregard for everything: the previous movies, the story being told, the characters, the audience.

An excellent craftsman by the name of Michael Bay, backed by an army of talented people and with limitless funds, crafted a one-of-a-kind masterpiece in which you can feel both his love for the art form and his complete disdain for the property he is working on in equal measure in almost every scene.

I'll miss you, Cade Yeager, you All-American Texan, inventor, father, hero, everyman, inventor, Knight of the Round table, inventor, you.

lk28eprl.gif

Wat.

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've never seen this movie, and I wouldn't have believed that scene existed if I hadn't seen footage of it in a Lindsay Ellis video.

Found a version of the scene on Youtube (I guess ignore the random photoshopped wahlberg heads at the end?):

Like the movie literally stops to put the card right up in the middle of the screen, presumably so that you can pause the movie at home and read it.

Yea thats actually weird af. Like, why even bring this shit up... in a movie about transformers.... michael bay is a creep

SmokingBun

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
You know, I always thought that Transformers being a kids franchise would be adapted in a PIXAR/Dreamworks style... why did they make it so dirty?

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Worse than Batman vs. Superman?
Without hesitation, yes.

BvS at worst is a woefully misguided take by a someone who has a shallow skewed grasp on the material, with the result being a dour convoluted mess.

They've made 5 of these fucking movies, filled with the most crass, racist, sexist, grotesque shit. And this crap doesn't even look great as every single shot is so unnecessarily overdone that nothing projects any kind of meaning or punctuation within a scene. Like the fundamentals of filmmaking are utterly lost on Bay.

Last edited:

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But since it underperformed, I believe the studio's takeaway is it didn't have enough Bayhem for international audiences.
https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=transformers06.htm
https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=transformers2.htm
https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=transformers3.htm
https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=transformers4.htm
https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=transformers5.htm
https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=transformers6.htm

Bayformers 1 earned $319 million domestic, $390 million foreign.

Bayformers 2 (despite being universally acknowledged as a crime against humanity) earned $402 million domestic, and $434 million foreign. An improvement in both markets.

Bayformers 3 earned $352 million domestic, and $771 million foreign. Slight drop in American money, huge jump in Chinese money. Time to start blatantly gearing the franchise towards China.

Bayformers 4 earned $245 million domestic, and $858 million foreign. Another drop in America, but China almost made up for it.

Bayformers 5 earned $130 million domestic, and $475 million foreign. Both markets cratering massively. Sure, Chinese money is still money, but this is the lowest performing Bayformers to date. Hasbro called it a bomb and a failure.

Bumblebee earned $127 million domestic, and $340 million foreign.

Now on first glance, that Bumblebee number seems even worse than Bayformers 5. But look at the budget of each film. $150 million. $200 million. $195 million. $210 million. $217 million. $135 million. It's because Michael Bay decided that Bayformers needs to be a $200 million blockbuster, and Bumblebee was supposed to be a "spinoff". It was never intended to compete at that scale. After Bayformers 5 bombed, Travis Knight asked for permission to cut ties with Bayformers and turn Bumblebee (which was already well into production) into a quasi-reboot, and Hasbro said "Yes", which inflated Bumblebee's production budget. And with a still-much-smaller budget, Bumblebee almost managed to match Bayformers 5's numbers. And now, imagine what Bumblebee could've done with an actual marketing budget (Bumblebee was barely marketed compared to a Bayformers).

Hasbro called Bumblebee a moderate success, IIRC, and said that there might be something in this crazy new idea of lowering costs by having actors spend more time speaking to each other in front of a camera, and less paying for Baysplosions.

Deleted member 41502

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 28, 2018
I have seen every Transformers movie, agree with basically everything in this thread, and I regret none of it.

iamaustrian

Nov 27, 2017
I really do not understand how Mark Wahlberg is an actor or why they even hire him for BIG $. why?
He is soooo bad in like every movie.

ProfessorLobo

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I'm going to take a giant leap of faith and say that Michael Bay has been in this exact situation with someone's parent but didn't have the laminated card to bust out.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really do not understand how Mark Wahlberg is an actor or why they even hire him for BIG $. why?
He is soooo bad in like every movie.
You'll be shocked to hear about his past, he was a straight up racist and bashed the head of a minority in for no reason other then being of east-asian origin. I feel uncomfortable seeing this tough guy persona he portrays as I feel is did hurt alot of victims with his racist beliefs.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Is that the one before Last Knight? I really love that movie, one of the best for its time. I dont really remember the story but i cried at the credit scene

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
I thought it was going to be the robots that were horrible caricatures of black people that was going to be mentioned. It's been a long time since I saw the movie but I remember thinking this is what a white teenager who's never met a black person before and watched a bunch of blaxplotation flicks from the 70s would make.

Changing gears, bumblebee the movie is much better. Hailee steinfield is light years far more talented than Marky mark in a movie series that never should have focused on humans in the first place. Plus there's a scene on cybertron that is great.

Fuck that Chinese dragon bullshit. OP you said not your Optimus? Not my grimlock. I was willing to overlook the sexualization of minors, the creepy grooming vibes, the casual racism and cultural appropriation, the rewriting of major historical events to include robots, the disjointed cobbled together scripts, the lens flares and gratuitous use of slo mo, and the horrible build quality of the toys but Grimlock is where I draw the line. He's a T-Rex and the king of the dinobots not some flying snake that you threw in to appease the Chinese market. I thought you loved America Michael Bay.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Remember how in The Last Knight it's implied that Sam was also a descendant of the knights and also that he was killed off screen

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They show Sam's old eBay photo in the museum when Anthony Hopkins' character is talking about the Witwiccan line, and they point out that the leading female of the movie was the last living member of that line. Also, it's implied that Harriet Tubman, Alfred Einstein and Stephen Hawking are distant relatives who are a part of the line. There are a myriad of plotholes with that explanation, especially if you compare it to stuff from the first couple of movies, but since I highly doubt Michael Bay and his writers do anything but make this shit up as they go along, retcons be damned, the movie basically implies that Sam was related to a bunch of historical figures who also interacted with/protected the Transformers, and that he kicked the bucket between movies.

Last edited:

Thatonedice1

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Working on that also.
The Last Knight broke me. I got dragged to the theater to see it by my sister and the level of how stupid it was just made me give up on the movie all together. I was on my phone for the last hour of it so I've got no clue what happened. I'm never seeing a Bayformer's again. Saw Bumblebee and that was actually really good but it didn't make money so oh well.

Oct 27, 2017
I knew what scene OP was talking about before evening opening the thread.

That scene was awful, even by Bayformers standards.

OP
OP
Uzumaki Goku

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
They show Sam's old eBay photo in the museum when Anthony Hopkins' character is talking about the Witwiccan line, and they point out that the leading female of the movie was the last living member of that line. Also, it's implied that Harriet Tubman, Alfred Einstein and Stephen Hawking are distant relatives who are a part of the line. There are a myriad of plotholes with that explanation, especially if you compare it to stuff from the first couple of movies, but since I highly doubt Michael Bay and his writers do anything but make this shit up as they go along, retcons be damned, the movie basically implies that Sam was related to a bunch of historical figures who also interacted with/protected the Transformers, and that he kicked the bucket between movies.

Huh.

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
Just wait til you see the next (and last) Bay movie where they have an even younger 13/14 year old girl as the sidekick, have a scene affirming she's that age, then immediately put her in skimpy shorts and have the camera leer at her like she was Megan Fox anyway. Or alternatively, just wait. Forever.
What

the

fuck

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania

tenor.gif

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
I'm surprised no one has mentioned how Bumblebee can fall apart and put himself back together like the Iron Giant.

Is his name really Cade Yaeger?

Not gonna lie that techno sword thing is kinda neat.

Yes. He actually barely does anything in The Last Knight, it's mostly the supermodel scientist woman that carries the story. The little girl does fuck all either.

What about the racist auto bots?

They progressed onto mocking the French this film.

teague

Dec 17, 2018
i thought this would be the robot pissing scene or the jive robots scene

I really thought things couldn't get worse than Transformers 2 but this thread has convinced me otherwise

fun fact: Transformers 2 was the first time I, sitting in a theater, went "wow America is still pretty racist huh" (I was like 12 or something)

As I open this thread I think to myself

Hm, what scene could OP be referring to?

Any of the scenes with the hacker guys in the first movie?
Any of the scenes with Sam's parents in the first movie?
Bumblebee "lubricating" on a guy?
Skids and Mudflap?
Creepy lecture teacher making a pass on coeds?
Devastator's literal wrecking balls?
Transformers heaven?
The Grey's Anatomy dude in Dark of the Moon?
"GiVe Me YoUr FaCe"?
"Deep Wang"?
Optimus killing Sentinel Prime executioner style?
Optimus in general being in pissed off "fuck humanity" mode for at least two and a half movies?
Bumblebee fought against the nazis?
Marky Mark is a knight?

... pretty sure I missed one or two but yeah I think the OP takes it

wow I'm glad I stopped watching before I got to the Marky Mark ones