• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
I'll start praising once we get Spyro 4.

But yeah... some good funding decisions were made regarding these projects.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
If this thread were about Sony or Nintendo's publishing lineup being great I daresay the reaction wouldn't be anywhere near as hostile. I don't think that just because OP wants to give props for a great lineup that they're disregarding the talent or hard work of the actual developers (or denying them props, or ignoring that they're the primary people responsible) or lining up to lick Bobby Kotick's boots.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
If this thread were about Sony or Nintendo's publishing lineup being great I daresay the reaction wouldn't be anywhere near as hostile. I don't think that just because OP wants to give props for a great lineup that they're disregarding the talent of the actual developers or lining up to lick Bobby Kotick's boots.

Exactly. This is what basic reading comprehension gets you, at least.

The devs pitched the projects, right

Well, not always.
Take it from someone who worked in R&D with marketing for a large company that owns hundreds of brands: Development sometimes pitches to management and marketing, but sometimes marketing and management pitch to development as well.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
They didn't ruin Sekiro with microtransactions like a lot of people were fearing would happen, so ... yay?

convo

Oct 25, 2017
People praised EA for Shadows of the Damned but behind the scenes it was a shit show and Suda51 was really not liking the demands, so who knows?
I can't tell or know how Activision handled Sekiro behind the scenes, it all seemed one and done till the last patch to make a GOTY edition happen.
One can be glad that they didn't shove some pre-order nonsense in there though, i would jokingly say that they showed some restraint or maybe Fromsoft simply refused harder than Activision could demand.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Weird comments, why can't you still praise Activision even if you don't like them?

"Devs pitched the product" yeah and Activision greenlit it, just praise both parties, be happy that we got some killer games and move on. I'm not being dismissive of what problem you may have with the company but c'mon

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I feel ripped off for buying Crash Team Racing. Given how much praise it got, I thought it would be fun, but it's a masochistic nightmare.
The new Guitar Hero was literally an FMV game that was dead on arrival.

And their biggest hits are just remakes of old titles. On top of that, everything by Blizzard has been struggling. Warcraft III's abomination came out in 2020, don't forget.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Yeah all the credit goes to the developers. Activision as a corporation is still complete poison for the industry.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really get that stance other than maybe having any pre-order stuff at all in those games? Dark Souls at least got post-launch support in any capacity. Sekiro didn't need anything but it was weird that there was absolutely no talk of dlc or even the idea of a sequel discussed by them.

trashbandit

Dec 19, 2019
It's weird to give Activision "credit" for basically not fucking up when it came to 4 games, 2 of which(Sekiro and Overwatch) they had little direct control over. Remember when they eliminated like 10% of their total staff just so that they could report a profit? The only thing they deserve credit for is that they let people who care about Tony Hawk take control of the IP, but that's like the bare minimum.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
With all that revenue and so few new IP's. All they really done is thrown money at games that have made money in the past.

Big Yoshi

Nov 25, 2018
Activision released a guitar hero game last gen that is not only the worst guitar hero ever, had a class action law suit directed at it because of its early discontinuation, but rushed it out to compete with rockband 4 killing the plastic instrument sub-genre probably forever.
no props.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Folks saying give props to the developers instead, I get what you're saying, but it's Activision greenlighting projects like Spyro Remastered, Tony Hawks, and Crash. Those wouldn't happen without execs pushing for those revivals, and I think they gave the developers the room to do a great job on them, so that's worth some praise. That doesn't mean you have to say you like Activision as a company, but in certain areas they made some good decisions.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, the publishers could have continued to stick them all on COD like EA does with Star Wars.
At least with Star Wars there's diversity of genres and gameplay. And as far as I can tell the studios that have worked on Star Wars have also worked on other IPs at the same time as well.

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
At least with Star Wars there's diversity of genres and gameplay. And as far as I can tell the studios that have worked on Star Wars have also worked on other IPs at the same time as well.
Yup.

Meanwhile, they closed studios, like Neversoft, and merged them into Infinity Ward, I think, to just make multiplayer levels for Call of Duty games.

Going from Tony Hawk and Guitar Hero franchises to "We make map packs" is a major fucking downgrade.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
I will say it again. Crash 4 is the most Nintendo-like game not made by Nintendo.

And these guys published Sekiro too?

Nov 1, 2017
People hate Activision too much to look at it clearly, I think they did a pretty solid job despite my issues with their predatory practices.

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel ripped off for buying Crash Team Racing. Given how much praise it got, I thought it would be fun, but it's a masochistic nightmare.
The new Guitar Hero was literally an FMV game that was dead on arrival.

And their biggest hits are just remakes of old titles. On top of that, everything by Blizzard has been struggling. Warcraft III's abomination came out in 2020, don't forget.
Aside War 3 Reforged, pretty sure Blizzard's IPs are doing great right now.

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
Let's give them props for killing Blizzard, a studio that used to be one of the best game developers for decades.

Last edited:

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
I'm actually enjoying the older CoD games as well. I got MW1 Remastered for free with PS+ and then purchased MW2 Remastered and both are awesome so far. After this I'm going to play through the Infinite Warfare campaign and then the BO3 campaign and then Cold War finally. My only issue with Activision is how little they put their games on sale. Modern Warfare reboot and Advanced Warfare are still $60 everywhere even though they are old as hell now.

RadioJoNES

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I will give them props for helping the games become funded and released

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Great decisions were made regarding titles like the remastered remakes (Crash, Spyro and Tony Hawk) and Sekiro, so even though Activision in general sucks, I'm very thankful those titles were able to see the light of day, thankful to whoever was in charge of those decisions and the development.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
They make billions and don't give enough back to devs. They also fire thousands every year and then hire hundreds a few months after

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The only props I can really give them is for relinquishing their hold on some of the licences they've held onto for far too long.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
(For the record, I think the Blizzard side of things deserves no accolades. Overwatch feels like a missed opportunity that doubled down on eSports instead of making an enjoyable experience for all players. The Blitzchung situation was despicable. The Warcraft remaster was a disaster. Diablo 4 is years away at this point.)

Blizz is doing fine in the games department: Overwatch is great, WoW just got the best expansion since the Lich King, Diablo Immortal seems to be really good and, yes, we'll wait for Diablo 4 a lot, but we've always had to wait years for Blizzard games.

SkoomaBlade

Chicken Chaser
Oct 30, 2017
It's weird to give Activision "credit" for basically not fucking up when it came to 4 games, 2 of which(Sekiro and Overwatch) they had little direct control over. Remember when they eliminated like 10% of their total staff just so that they could report a profit? The only thing they deserve credit for is that they let people who care about Tony Hawk take control of the IP, but that's like the bare minimum.
Let's give them props for killing Blizzard, a stuiod that used to be one of the best game developers for deacdes.
Can we please drop this narrative. I know its cool to shit on Activision but people need to understand that Activison and Blizzard are one and the same. Blizzard is just a brand under the Activision-Blizzard holding company. The execs are the same. Whatever shade you have for Activision "ruining" Blizzard is on Blizzard itself.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
You really don't have to. Despite all the good games the company releases, their business practices and models have been very insidious.

Nekyrrev

Oct 28, 2017
I mean come on guys, it's perfectly reasonable to hate the company while admitting that these games were treated with more respect than the usual rose tinted cash grabs.
Could you stop making reasonable statements please ?
FUCK ACTIVISION is what you meant right ?

No but seriously props to all the Activision development studios, they did some great job here. And I was surprised too at the time and budget Activision gave them for the Crash and Spyro games, I hope this trend will continue because Crash 4 was incredible.