• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jon God

Oct 28, 2017
I was giving Red Dead Online a chance, having picked it up when it was on sale for $5, and among other things, I tried the PVP, and it reminded me of how much I dislike stepping late into a multiplayer game in this day and age. Everyone else has already unlocked everything, and have all the best perks, meanwhile, I have nothing unlocked, am still learning the game, and unfairly having my ass handed to me.

It also got me thinking about the multiplayer games I really got into back in the day, a lot of Bungie's back catalog (Myth I, Myth II, Halo 1, 2, 3...) and I know I am old and all that, but do people just not care about this sort of thing anymore? If I go to play one of those games in this day and age, everyone is still standing on the same floor, people haven't unlocked so much that I am at a disadvantage before I even start.

I know there are genres that bend around this, like fighting games and some party games, but I was surprised to think that most of the new online games I've played in the last 2 generations all were riddled with this stuff. In a time where I am playing more games online than I have in a while, due to need to be social, it's a shame that games that indulge in this really turn me off.

I guess I have no real point in this topic, other than wanting to know if there is anyone else out there that shares the feelings I do. There have to at least be dozens of us.... right?!

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I still play Overwatch for this reason. The only unlocks are skins, emotes and the like. (Almost) nothing related to the game mechanics themselves.

I say almost because some emotes do let you see around corners/hide in truck beds, but that's super situational, and barely useful once they're known.

jediyoshi

Oct 25, 2017
I guess I have no real point in this topic, other than wanting to know if there is anyone else out there that shares the feelings I do. There have to at least be dozens of us.... right?!
There's one last bastion

WoZb6Mx.png

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
There's so many shooters even that don't unlock abilities. I can't remember the last game I had where stats or weapons were unlockables. Maybe Battlefront 2? Apex, Overwatch, CS:GO, PUBG and Fortnite just don't have levelling outside of cosmetics.

Phokal

Oct 25, 2017
WI
Submerging undead units for a surprise attack in myth never got old. Fantastic game. And you are right about gameplay unlocks. Prestige should come from skins, and while unlocks can help shepherd players into the skills they need that's rarely how they are used. I wonder if that's part of why overwatch took off like it did.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
That's why OW is the only multiplayer game I ever bothered with.

Accessible. Easy to learn, hard to master. Iconic designs. Super heroes with worldwide appeal.

One click in the main menu and you are in a game.*

*DPS queue times may vary.

Nov 8, 2017
The exact moment I realized what direction the industry was moving was when I fired up Rainbow Six: Vegas 2 and all of the weapons / items that I was accustomed to using in the first game were now all gated behind the progression systems. I felt really pissed because all I really wanted to do was terrorist hunt with my friends and now I couldn't use 85% of the shit.

It was particularly egregious in that case because Vegas 2 was a rapid sequel (12-14 months later? Something like that) that made heavy use of the exact same assets as the previous game. It was only a few short years after CoD4 before the majority of the industry had shifted gears.

Coxy

Oct 28, 2017
Call of Duty 2 and Rainbow Six (can't remember the sub title) around 2005 / 2006 was the highlight for me.

People actually talked on Xbox live too - those were the days

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I've been playing more CS:GO again recently and rediscovering the joy of just... Playing a good multiplayer game for its own sake. I like carrots on sticks and grinding and unlocking stuff as much as anyone, but it can definitely be detrimental to actually enjoying the game. After a certain point you're not playing to have fun, you're playing to unlock stuff.

Bummed that it's mostly the round-based games (and BRs) that are still alive, though. Wish proper arena shooters were still a big thing. I know there's MCC (and I've put a fair amount of hours into it, but the games could have aged a bit better), but I think that's pretty much it right now? I'm really, really hoping Halo Infinity MP will be good.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
This is why I typically don't enjoy multiplayer games these days.

I prefer games where everyone starts with the same gear. Weapons etc are located on the maps and you have mad dashes for specific weapons and big conflicts.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That's why OW is the only multiplayer game I ever bothered with.

Accessible. Easy to learn, hard to master. Iconic designs. Super heroes with worldwide appeal.

One click in the main menu and you are in a game.*

*DPS queue times may vary.
Mystery Heroes is the way to play DPS, sadly.

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017
I still play Overwatch for this reason. The only unlocks are skins, emotes and the like. (Almost) nothing related to the game mechanics themselves.

I say almost because some emotes do let you see around corners/hide in truck beds, but that's super situational, and barely useful once they're known.

And those emotes are purchasable for a few credits. Easily attainable by even newbs.

ChrisJSY

Oct 29, 2017
I still play Overwatch for this reason.

Same, although I haven't played for some time (I come and go to stop complete burn out heh).
I can't get into mp/competitive games that require obscene amounts of free time to be able to compete in the first place.

I just want to jump in, have the same chance as the next person and have fun knowing I'm not getting stomped by someone who's got too much time to play with awesome gear just stomping me because of that fact. I like overwatch for the fact it's only relying on my aim and tactics.

Fiksi

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I'd agree, I like when everyone starts fresh every time in online games. OW has been mentioned and it's definitely one of the reasons it was a favorite for so long.

It's one of the main reasons I like Sea of Thieves so much too. You can always get much better given the complexity, but every session starts from the beginning and the game world is designed around it.

Sep 14, 2018
Dota 2 is completely immune to this, other mobas require that you unlock either characters or perks/masteries or both. It's actually why it's popular in some places, it's completely free and money can't buy an advantage in any way. There is no progression other than your skill and game knowledge, which amounts to basically endless progression, in a way.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
There is a difference between exhausting battle pass grindings and greatly balanced, timeless unlocks.

I miss the old systems like in Halo 3, MW2, yes, but no unlocks at all? Nah, I don't see a reason for that.

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
Been dipping in and out of overwatch and CS go for years because of this. Both still great and no end in sight

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
This is why I loved Halo 5 this generation. Just pure skill. It's also why I didn't spend time on the other mode.

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
I miss the more "arcade" experience as well in games like Halo 1-3, Unreal Tournament, BF1942 etc.

I think it's why Overwatch is basically the only modern shooter I keep going back to. Been thinking about Halo MCC lately, but I wish there were more new games willing to take this approach. I'm tired of all the exp-bars, lootboxes, battle-passes and other lizard-brain quick satisfaction bullshit.

dstarMDA

Dec 22, 2017
There's so many shooters even that don't unlock abilities. I can't remember the last game I had where stats or weapons were unlockables. Maybe Battlefront 2? Apex, Overwatch, CS:GO, PUBG and Fortnite just don't have levelling outside of cosmetics.
This. Rogue Company too.

And outside of shooters, I'd guess Rocket League is the next big thing and it obviously hasn't any of this.

GoodGamerGuy

Nov 15, 2017
Yep!
Hopped on with some friends to Halo 2(Original not remaster), thanks to the excellent MCC and crossplay. Haven't had that much fun in a very long time.
I remember when I realised things are getting too much when CoD WW2 came out. I was quite excited about the prospect of an old school style CoD like 1 or 2.
What we got was a bloated mess of menus, airdrops, some weird Home style area to walk around in. Just too much stuff going on all the time. Menus are filled with pointless shit, makes everything look more confusing than it needs to be.

Jun 17, 2018
Agreed, games like CSGO, Overwatch and Halo are always preferred to me since they are purely skill based and there are no unlocks outside of cosmetics.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
You mention the golden days of Halo 1, 2, 3. Have you tried Halo 5 multiplayer OP? Sounds like exactly what you're looking for?

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Sounds like you're only looking at AAA juggernauts like CoD.

There are already some great recommendations in this thread. I love MOBAs like Dota2 for this reason. Unlocks there are just cosmetic.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I agree with you OP.

It seems like everything wants you to play just their game and if you want to play casually you are screwed. I had way more fun playing GTA4 and RDR than I did GTA Online and RD Online.

Same with MP FPS compared to Quake.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Halo 5 Arena says hello. Purely about control, skill and comms. There are others, as people have noted here. I dislike the CoD trend also, but there are alternatives still very much alive. I suspect Infinite will be exactly the same in this regard (or will have it and a Warzon-esque mode also).

Apr 30, 2019
Hate the unlock grind. Feels gimmicky and a waste of time. I wish games with tons of weapons and attachments like COD and BF would just have everything available straight away.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
I've been playing Gears5 recently, and it's PVP is sublime.

Gears 5 is absolutely phenomenal, and TC's post-launch balancing has been nothing short of amazing. It's a super fun casual experience, but it's even better in a competitive setting.
I second this. I returned to Gears 5 MP again some weeks ago and I´m absolutely loving it. It`s brilliant.
One thing I always liked about the mulitplayer is that all players choose from a pool of weapons from the get go - there are no guns and no perks you have to unlock, so the experience feels quite fair.

Paroni

Dec 17, 2020
Same. I'm even sick of hero shooters take ultras / come back mechanics while we are at it.

Comeback mechanics as whole are big reason of why I grew tired of overwatch. Having dedicated healers in a competitive FPS just serves to make firefights last longer until one team overwhelms the other by having their ults and cooldowns on sync better.