• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
It doesn't need BOTW climbing, but being able to climb short heights and over short fences and the like would be nice. Was horribly obnoxious when you got caught without being able to go further just because there was a tiny section that was just slightly too much of an incline.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
I would love climbing, but not free climbing. I also love gliding but I don't want that in TES.

Games should not strive to be homogeneous.

Let Zelda be Zelda and TES be TES.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Thread: "Elder Scrolls used to have features like free climbing, levitation, and open cities not gated by loading, and had to cut all of those Elder Scrolls features due to tech limitations. Given that other games can do this now and are well received and next gen tech, should we bring these old Elder Scrolls features back?"

80% of replies: "why would they copy another game and put a bunch of brand new features into elder scrolls 3, the sequel to elder scrolls 2: skyrim"
b47.jpg

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
Loading times should be gone outside of quick travel, definitely.

And yeah, they need to handle inclines better. Running at a hill until you just stop moving up, trying to find the sweet spot angles, jumping awkwardly etc. is just complete bullshit. The answer to that can be climbing anything, but it can also be more mindful level design.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I'd rather it just not be a broken mess full of bugs with even a rudimentary focus on polish. I'd be in if the just did that, at a bare minimum.
After Skyrim (PS3) and Fallout 4, I'm not really interested in anything the studio is doing. Fallout 76 (at launch) kind of cemented that for me (I didn't buy it, but the backlash was enough).

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
No. Can't agree. Leave that shit for assassin's creed and zelda. Open cities I can get behind, maybe even a return of levitation as it was fun in morrowind. The climbing doesn't seem necessary though.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Loading times should be gone outside of quick travel, definitely.

And yeah, they need to handle inclines better. Running at a hill until you just stop moving up, trying to find the sweet spot angles, jumping awkwardly etc. is just complete bullshit. The answer to that can be climbing anything, but it can also be more mindful level design.

I long for the day that even fast travel isn't a loading transition but rather the camera zooming out from your from current location and instantaneously zooming in real time to the new location you traveled to with adjusted time lapse for accurate day / night cycle with absolutely no loading transition.

Kind of like how you switch characters in GTA5 in which the map zooms out from one character and zooms into the new character. Except all in real time in appropriate timescale for an Elder Scrolls game. This should be theoretically possible with new faster i/o and storage options in the consoles.

Nesther

Oct 27, 2017
Switzerland
Oblivion and Skyrim always felt like massive downgrades compared to Morrowind, and the instanced cities were a big part of that. Hope TES6 is completely open.

Deleted member 1698

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What is the point of adding exploration mechanics when there is absolutely nothing interesting to find?

Until they sort out basic things like having something rewarding in a chest, they should just set the entire game in a small room, saw style.

Bugalugs214

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
Nah climbing is the easy route, it's much more fun and leads into different adventures when the path to where U want to get to isn't clear.

I really hope they don't get rpg lite shit into the game like most other current AAA games.

Trike

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Climbing would be weird for elder scrolls. It's not a very realistic mechanic. You use Zelda/Genshin as examples but you don't take into account the type of a game they are. Zelda/Genshin lean a lot more heavily into action than the RPG elements, with Genshin having more RPG elements. Elder Scrolls is the reverse. The games have never been about fast combat and maneuverability. Additionally it would be pretty stupid to have these realistic characters climb every surface like they're Spider-Man.

But levitation being missing since morrowind is a crime

Edit: Forgot about gliding. Everyone would look stupid gliding. Everyone.

naff

Unshakeable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
i'd be down for a limited return of levitation, but also realise re-introducing a method of traversal like this can void how the game is designed to work. morrowind is all about that janky freedom, but i think it might be weird in modern es. i can understand wanting traversal to be a little less janky and exciting generally though, making the environments more treacherous and interesting to traverse. re climbing/skills; could see duel use items working, like in skyrim you could dual wield pickaxes but maybe they could also assist in scaling small cliff faces and clinging onto giant enemies backs.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Climbing is something I could take or leave. Levitate, however, would be awesome.

Would be interesting if one of the playable races had wings. Maybe not capable of flight, but able to reach taller sections of map more easily.

Also wouldn't mind if they expanded on Vampirism. Like allowing the player to turn into mist. That could open up all kinds of cool exploration.

GavinGT

Sep 28, 2020
What is the point of adding exploration mechanics when there is absolutely nothing interesting to find?

Until they sort out basic things like having something rewarding in a chest, they should just set the entire game in a small room, saw style.

Exactly. They need to go back to the Morrowind days of hand-placed loot everywhere. When you scale most of the loot in the world to match the player's level, there's far less incentive to explore.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
some of the replies in this thread are driving me actually insane. TES has had variations on most of these features in some form or another throughout the series

Zachary_Games

Jul 31, 2020
More TW3 and Morrowind influence, less BoTW please. Bring back levitation, athletics and acrobatics stats as well.

Burly

Oct 25, 2017
How I want it to go: I climb the highest mountain and glide across an amazing vista.

How it would actually go: I've been looking for this quest npc for 45 minutes, turns out they tried to climb over a watermelon and fell under the map.

Deleted member 47076

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 25, 2018
The only influence I really want from BotW is the way quests work (meaning no objective markers for every step), but even then it's kind of just going back to how things were for Morrowind and before.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
some of the replies in this thread are driving me actually insane. TES has had variations on most of these features in some form or another throughout the series

It's the people acting like experts on what does and doesn't work in TES not realizing all of this stuff was in TES2 that's actually kinda hilarious.

And nobody is actually responding when called out on that.

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
no thanks, they should focus on more important things, if they can make it work i'd like levitation to return though

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
Elder Scrolls games have removed skills from every previous entry starting with Morrowind. I don't see that trend reversing now.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Because if athletics and acrobatics are back in the game, I can simply jump over mountains instead. Or levitate because I typically run mage builds in the my ES.
This sounds like some mod/TES Construction Set stuff in regard to Athletics/Acrobatics. As far as levitation goes, good. Invest and see results.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
I really don't see how Free Climbing and Gliding is relevant to Elder Scrolls, it might be welcome if they put it in but I don't see it being sorely missed if not.

Moving towards less instanced areas, namely the big cities, fits really well with the sandbox design so I really hope that is a thing. That being said it's not like it's a design choice to not have them, it's simply technical limitations and since they cater to the slowest member of the Hardware group we might just see it again

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
Climbing or gliding in some form, sure, but I really don't want navigating ES to feel like BotW or Genshin.

That is to say, I do not want the game to enable navigating by finding peaks, looking for points of interest, and gliding towards them. I love BotW, it's perhaps my favorite game of all time, but I appreciate how moving through that world was entirely distinct from Skyrim* and I want to keep it that way.

There's something cozy and grounded about the experience of navigating the world in Skyrim and I don't want to lose that. Perhaps it's because it's in First Person, but I want them to give me a world that asks me to follow the roads, use bridges, take the stairs, etc. I want to discover caves, dungeons, and small encampments just as I round the bend. I'd hate for them to throw all that out the window in favor of "climb-up, look-out, glide-down". If they give me Levitation, let it be short lived enough that it's a clever way to cross a narrow crevasse where the bridge is out, but not a way for me jump off a monstrous cliff and land somewhere several kilometres away.

* Also apologies as I've only played Skyrim. Perhaps the franchise used to be something entirely different. Maybe what I've said is not what others want from the franchise, but that's where I am.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
My first thought when seeing this thread was Genshin Impact. Reading the first few replies with some not wanting climbing and gliding, at least it should have some sort of climbing, and not everything involving climbing is stealing from Shadow of the Colossus! Assassin's Creed is open world like TES and it has climbing too.

In TES no matter what you might have tried to climb mountains in weird ways because of the limitations of the character to actually climb. I remember doing it a ton, why not add the mechanic?

Hardcore method of climbing in Skyrim, the most modern of open world sandbox games. "Mountain climbing in it's truest sense."