• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
It runs perfectly; fixed 60 fps and it never dips. You can purchase the levels of Hitman 2016 and 2 as DLC on PSN.

Hitman 2016. Though for the reasons that I have mentioned, you should really buy the levels of 2016 as DLC for Hitman 3, so you can enjoy all the benefits of Hitman 3's better UI, controls and graphics.

Hitman 2016 DLC for Hitman 3: https://store.playstation.com/fr-ca/product/UP4572-PPSA01768_00-S1GOTYH30000DIGI
Hitman 2 DLC for Hitman 3: https://store.playstation.com/fr-ca/product/UP4572-PPSA01768_00-S2GOLD000000DIGI

Damn. That seems like the best way to jump in but it's over £100. I feel like they should release a Hitman 3 bundle which includes the prior two games, rather than making folks buy the game and then the DLC. It makes the decision harder. I'd probably jump in if the whole thing was £99.99 or something.

Maybe I'll wait for a sale.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
3 is a much smaller download than both 1 and 2. That's the biggest advantage, at least for me, other than convenience in switching levels.
You get to play the levels of 1 and 2 with the better mechanics of 3 (better UI, more responsive controls, etc.) and better graphics of 3. Moreover, equipment that you unlock in a level can be used in other levels. So, if you play the levels of 1 in Hitman 3, you can use any equipment or costume obtained in a hitman 1 level in a hitman 3 level, and vice versa. You can't do this if you play Hitman 1's levels in Hitman 1.

ninja edit: also, like GonzoCR said: Hitman 3, when containing the levels of its two predecessors, is smaller in file size than the previous two games. It's incredible.
It's an option to combine them. You can play them separately given the choice, but the choice is also there to play them all in one package rather than individually.

That's...interesting 🤔

Thanks!

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
I love these games but sadly fell off Hitman 3 pretty quickly, as fantastic as they are I got burned out on the formula. I spent a ton of time with Hitman 2016 though, maps like Sapienza will go down as some of the best level design ever for this type of game.

Really looking forward to IOI's Bond game though, I'm assuming they'll mix up the formula quite a bit for that but retain some of the core Hitman DNA.

OP
OP
AuthenticM

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Damn. That seems like the best way to jump in but it's over £100. I feel like they should release a Hitman 3 bundle which includes the prior two games, rather than making folks buy the game and then the DLC. It makes the decision harder. I'd probably jump in if the whole thing was £99.99 or something.

Maybe I'll wait for a sale.
Put the DLC packs, and the game, in your wishlist. They will definitely go on sale. I bought Hitman 1 on sale for like 70% a year after it released. I'm sure Hitman 3 and its DLC will get a good sale by next Christmas.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Put the DLC packs, and the game, in your wishlist. They will definitely go on sale. I bought Hitman 1 on sale for like 70% a year after it released. I'm sure Hitman 3 and its DLC will get a good sale by next Christmas.

Can't wishlist DLC, but I've just put hitman 3 in and hopefully when it goes on sale the DLC does too. I could use ps prices to remind me but I always miss their notifications since I never check my email. Good idea though.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
Sure, when it doesn't take up so much space on my PS5

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
I have Hitman 1 and Hitman 2 both on Steam, tempted to buy Hitman 3 but it's on Epic store and cannot be linked as far as I know?

Merc

Jun 10, 2018
Nice post OP. Tempted to play the Hitmans now. How much of a difference does it make if part 1 and 2 are imported into 3? Should I beat 1 and 2 first to import or just start with 3? Thanks

jerf

Nov 1, 2017
played Hitman absolution, liked it but never got into the other hitman games
bought Hitman, didn't click
bought Hitman 2, didn't click
bought Hitman 3, it finally clicked.
Then after 20 hours it clicked again.

I still need to finish the last two mission of 3 and all the bonus missions. This is going to be a game I come back to every other month and get hooked all again.

OP
OP
AuthenticM

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I have Hitman 1 and Hitman 2 both on Steam, tempted to buy Hitman 3 but it's on Epic store and cannot be linked as far as I know?
IOI has said that they are working on a solution to allow owners of Hitman 1 and 2 on Steam to redeem the DLC legacy packs for Hitman 3 on EGS. I don't know if those plans have succeeded yet.

Nice post OP. Tempted to play the Hitmans now. How much of a difference does it make if part 1 and 2 are imported into 3? Should I beat 1 and 2 first to import or just start with 3? Thanks
Hitman 3 has improved mechanics and UI. I very much recommend that you play the Hitman 1 and 2 levels inside Hitman 3. If you do not own any of the three games, don't bother with buying 1 or 2; you can simply buy Hitman 3 and they the DLC legacy packs.

Since the trilogy is telling a singular story, it is very much recommended to start with Hitman 2016. Starting with either 2 or 3 would be like starting a movie midway.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
IOI has said that they are working on a solution to allow owners of Hitman 1 and 2 on Steam to redeem the DLC legacy packs for Hitman 3 on EGS. I don't know if those plans have succeeded yet.

Hitman 3 has improved mechanics and UI. I very much recommend that you play the Hitman 1 and 2 levels inside Hitman 3. If you do not own any of the three games, don't bother with buying 1 or 2; you can simply buy Hitman 3 and they the DLC legacy packs.

Since the trilogy is telling a singular story, it is very much recommended to start with Hitman 2016. Starting with either 2 or 3 would be like starting a movie midway.
I just checked, looks like they found a solution. I just bought Hitman 3 on Epic and it's on sale. You've convinced me, thank you.

OP
OP
AuthenticM

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I just checked, looks like they found a solution. I just bought Hitman 3 on Epic and it's on sale. You've convinced me, thank you.
Sweet! I'm looking forward to reading your impressions on the game.

Never played any of them. Can I just start with the newest? Looking for a new game for my PS5.
You can, though the story will have many holes for you. I'd recommend that you get the DLC legacy packs as well, though that'll prove expensive right now. If you're not in a rush, I'd suggest putting the game in your wishlist and waiting for a sale. I'm sure the game will be on sale this summer; PSN often has sales.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
It even got me invested in Agent 47 as a character; a stoic bald white dude with a fucking bar code on the back of his head, who, in any other game, would be ridiculed as a cliché of western character design. And yet, I cared about this dude.

Yeah, that was surprising, they crafted a much better and much more fitting tale than what was done with Absolution, and they really didn't have to.

kikuchiyo

Nov 9, 2017
I'm waiting for a pretty big sale on 3 to jump into the series (currently too busy with Rise and FF14). Do I buy 3 and the DLC or the entire trilogy? Probably will be playing on Xbox.

Kasai

Jan 24, 2018
It'll be the first thing I play when I get a PS5.

I loved one and two, but that dual-sense...

Okii

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
IOI are world class level designers, the new Hitman trilogy is one of the most polished, well tuned, and smartly made games ever. It's fascinating how everything fits together and works together.

UCBooties

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Pennsylvania, USA
I absolutely love it. I played the whole trilogy as a complete package when 3 came out and I treat it as a single massive and wonderful game. I just wish they hadn't changed the cutscenes in 2, they just aren't as good as the ones from 1.

OP
OP
AuthenticM

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Money was tight, I guess. Fully animated cutscenes are expensive. Are they improved in Hitman 3?
The cutscenes in 3 are pre-rendered using the game's assets, so they look fine, but a little stilted and nowhere near as good as 1's. I liked the stills of H2, and I kind of wish 3 had stuck with that.

Tetsujin

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Someday I might jump into this franchise, looks fun. Importing everything into Hitman 3 sounds dope although I'd still buy 1 and 2 separately on disc and import after (that's how it works, right?). Hitman 2 is €20 vs the digital/Hitman 3 DLC for the full price of €70.

Jamaro

Oct 27, 2017
I've heard good things of the series over the years, but you've made me really want to check this out. Signed up for discount alerts on PS Prices as I don't even see how you can wishlist stuff through the PS App. How is this not possible, unless I'm missing something.

So to play the trilogy I'll want to get the Hitman 3 game, and access passes for Hitman 2 standard DLC ($59.99 right now) and Hitman 1 GOTY Edition ($29.99 right now)? Do I not need to worry about the Hitman 2 Expansion?

And pardon my ignorance but this has an actual PS5 version that provides enhancements over the PS4 version?

OP
OP
AuthenticM

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've heard good things of the series over the years, but you've made me really want to check this out. Signed up for discount alerts on PS Prices as I don't even see how you can wishlist stuff through the PS App. How is this not possible, unless I'm missing something.

So to play the trilogy I'll want to get the Hitman 3 game, and access passes for Hitman 2 standard DLC ($59.99 right now) and Hitman 1 GOTY Edition ($29.99 right now)? Do I not need to worry about the Hitman 2 Expansion?

And pardon my ignorance but this has an actual PS5 version that provides enhancements over the PS4 version?
The Hitman 2 Expansion is needed, as it contains two story levels. I would suggest getting the Hitman 2 Gold Access Pass, as it comes with the DLC maps as well as the other DLCs (weapons and costumes).

Yes, Hitman 3 has a native PS5 release, which looks and runs better than the PS4 one.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that it exists is basically a miracle.

+ Absolution sold well but had a tepid reception from fans. IOI then had to get the OK from Square to reboot it again.

+ Hitman 1 is... an episodic game? That's always online? This immediately turned off a lot of players. As the game grows and people start to see the appeal, it garners a lot of acclaim from fans and the press. However, it seemingly underperforms and Square severs ties with IOI.

+ Hitman 2 is actually made thanks to WB. Unlike the first title, it is a one time release. You can also import Hitman 1 levels into the game, essentially making it two games in one. Sales didn't seem so hot and WB didn't continue with the franchise.

+ IO self publishes Hitman 3 and even lets you import levels from two previous games. So an entire trilogy in one game.

Three games, three publishers, one masterpiece.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
It takes time for the full breadth of interactions this game has to offer to unfold. Few games are this rewarding for just dicking around randomly.

DeadlyVenom

Apr 3, 2018
Except that almost all the post launch support has been exclusive to those that got the $30 more expensive Deluxe edition.

Now, they are doing another DLC roadmap that is on top of, and NOT included in the Deluxe edition.

I love IO. Their monetization fuckin sucks.

OP
OP
AuthenticM

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It takes time for the full breadth of interactions this game has to offer to unfold. Few games are this rewarding for just dicking around randomly.

omg I'm dying. I had no idea you could even right this guy's doorbell, much less have him say personalized lines for your costume.

the editing on that video is also on point lol. I was laughing out loud.

Jamaro

Oct 27, 2017
The fact that it exists is basically a miracle.

+ Absolution sold well but had a tepid reception from fans. IOI then had to get the OK from Square to reboot it again.

+ Hitman 1 is... an episodic game? That's always online? This immediately turned off a lot of players. As the game grows and people start to see the appeal, it garners a lot of acclaim from fans and the press. However, it seemingly underperforms and Square severs ties with IOI.

+ Hitman 2 is actually made thanks to WB. Unlike the first title, it is a one time release. You can also import Hitman 1 levels into the game, essentially making it two games in one. Sales didn't seem so hot and WB didn't continue with the franchise.

+ IO self publishes Hitman 3 and even lets you import levels from two previous games. So an entire trilogy in one game.

Three games, three publishers, one masterpiece.
Yeah that makes the existence of the trilogy all the more impressive then. Sad that it didn't sell well and had to go that route.
The Hitman 2 Expansion is needed, as it contains two story levels. I would suggest getting the Hitman 2 Gold Access Pass, as it comes with the DLC maps as well as the other DLCs (weapons and costumes).

Yes, Hitman 3 has a native PS5 release, which looks and runs better than the PS4 one.
Noted, thanks.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
Wait.....it can't be played offline? Even on console?
The offline mode is severely limited. The only thing you can do is play the story missions. You can't earn xp, unlock new gadgets, weapons, starting positions, costumes and stuff or do any of the new elusive target missions, you don't even get a score when you finish a mission and regardless how you finish a mission it does not count any special way you do it.

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
The only thing hindering it is if they fix how limited the offline mode is. Eventually those servers will be done with and it will be a shame if such a good game becomes worse as time goes on.

Oct 25, 2017
It's an amazing trilogy for sure. And I like how they keep adding free elusive targets every now and then. The Sean Bean one was great for example (Hitman 2). However the story didn't quite feel that interesting to me, but I don't even think about it in these games as it's all about the awesome sandbox gameplay.

Project 007 is one of my most anticipated games. Shame that we have to probably wait a few years for it but I hope they make that time count and make it great.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Hitman 3 DLC for the first two games is kinda pricey compared to how much you could get those games for on their own

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I look forward to playing it eventually! Still need to wrap up the DLC for 2.

Deleted member 51848

Jan 10, 2019
One of the best trilogies in gaming? Definitely. Makes Square Enix's decision to cut them loose look even more questionable than it did at the time. But then I remember we also won't get any more Sleeping Dogs either because it didn't make ALL OF THE MONEY IN THE ENTIRE WORLD.

Master Chuuster

GamingBolt.com
Verified
Dec 14, 2017
Great writeup OP. Hitman 3 is easily one of the best stealth games I've played in the last decade. Ridiculously full-featured, extremely replayable, ingeniously designed. Absolutely love it to bits.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
As I have done for every thread for this series ever, I will scream to the heavens "thank you".

It's a miracle such wonderful games exist, that they have fought and endured every bump in the road they could find, and that still IOI has been critically and commercially successful.

Hitman is perfect and Hitman is love. IOI deserves all the praise, and I can't wait to see 007 and whatever else they're working on.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Hoping they will in the next few years update the game to make it completely accessible offline and just give everybody the ability to play all the elusive targets how many times they want. Maybe make a physical release that actually includes everything. Then it'll be the perfect game.

One of the best trilogies in gaming? Definitely. Makes Square Enix's decision to cut them loose look even more questionable than it did at the time. But then I remember we also won't get any more Sleeping Dogs either because it didn't make ALL OF THE MONEY IN THE ENTIRE WORLD.
I wonder what would have happened if SE kept them on. Would Hitman 3 have even happened or would IOI just be working on Avengers DLC right now?

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I used to be a huge fan of the franchise, but I can't find a way to enjoy the new trilogy (or at least H1 and 2 that I played).
I think the pulp tone with a lot of silliness was more suited to the series than the modern po-faced attempts at serious story.

Is there any chance I would enjoy H3 if I find 1 and 2 charmless and tedious?

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
I used to be a huge fan of the franchise, but I can't find a way to enjoy the new trilogy (or at least H1 and 2 that I played).
I think the pulp tone with a lot of silliness was more suited to the series than the modern po-faced attempts at serious story.

Is there any chance I would enjoy H3 if I find 1 and 2 charmless and tedious?
I honestly think these are, by faaaaaar, the jokiest Hitman IOI has ever made. Don't get confused with the story, which has always been dark and gritty in all Hitmans.

Like, all of this video is so dumb lol:

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I just find destinations of the 3 too easy, but nothing they could improve with an optional mode. Maps are great so it's not the problem here. But disguises are too permisives, either against NPCs and places were they aren't suspicious. In the end it feels far harder to sneak into the swedish embassy than in the ICA building lol