• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
1DfTBcg.jpeg

The Hitman trilogy, all contained in Hitman 3 (the first two games can be bought as DLC to be played inside 3), is a masterpiece. The mechanics, systems and UI have been polished to a sheen. I recently loaded up both Hitman 2016 and 2, and you can see the evolution of everything through Hitman 3: a more elegant and informative UI; more fluid and responsive camera control and aiming; and even better "feel" of gameplay thanks to some added weighty sound effects tied to various actions (for example, when headshotting someone, there is now a heavy sound effect that makes your kill so much more impactful and satisfying). It's also really nice to be able to play the previous games' levels with much better lighting and image quality.

The game offers 20 levels (or "destinations"), plus two tutorial levels, that serve as giant sandboxes for the player to explore and to spy and hunt in. Each level is built for nigh unlimited replayability, which is enticed to the player through challenges of various kinds, as well as persistant unlocks, such as new equipment and costumes. Not only that, but several levels have remixes that offer new missions as well as varying degrees of redesigns. And on top of that, the game has what it calls "escalation missions", which are missions that add new objectives and parameters as you complete them, further adding replayability. Lastly, the game allows players to create their own targets/missions and upload them to the internet so other players can play them!

And the cherry on top of all this? The Hitman trilogy has managed to tell a story that not only was intriguing to follow, but got me emotionally invested as well. This was the surprising part to me. I went into this game expecting a video-game-ass video game (well, which I got as well!) that has a story that only exists to pull the player from level to level, only to be blindsided by a story that got me invested in a completely unexpected way. It even got me invested in Agent 47 as a character; a stoic bald white dude with a fucking bar code on the back of his head, who, in any other game, would be ridiculed as a cliché of western character design. And yet, I cared about this dude.

And fuck me, that's not even all about the story. I don't want to overhype it too much, but there is a fact about this game that needs to be indited, and it is something that I haven't seen brought up since its release two months ago: we can now add Hitman 3 to the exclusive list of games such as Nier Automata that use, at times, its mechanics and systems to enhance, and add weight to, its narrative. Like, I could not fucking believe this when it happened. I was already in love and lust with this game, only for it to sneak up behind me and whisper me gently: "boi, check this shit out. You ready?"

The Hitman trilogy, as a trio of games, is the cream of the crop. It is what every video game should strive to be: give players tools to accomplish objectives, then let them free to plan and tinker their way to victory. It does so splendidly, gives players tons of fun, all the while telling a compelling story.

The absolute only "negative" thing I can say about the games is that the music is nothing worthy of mention. It's not bad, mind you! You don't notice it, which is proof that it's not bad. It gets the job done. But the issue is that the previous games were composed by none other than Jesper Kyd, a master composer in the industry. I can only dream of a scenario where IOI decides to rerelease the Hitman World of Assassination trilogy some time in the future, and hires Kyd again to replace the existing score with his own signature style. I know that's never happening, but one can dream.

I raise my hat to IOI. I know some of them are reading this forum, so if you are reading this: to you I say thank you. You can be proud of what you have all accomplished.

CarefreeFlamboyantJackal-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
I love how much 3 plays with the established formula.

The whole trilogy as a package is incredible, and 3 subverting things felt so interested and well-earned.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Yeah, I just played through all three games for the first time and cannot believe how well this new series turned out. And having just completed the campaign I've just scratched the surface.

Remember that Hitman 1 and 2 still need to be purchased to import into 3 but I got 1 and 2 cheaply and it was all totally worth it.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
I played through the whole thing when Hitman 3 came out, having never really got into the other two and... I was hooked.

They demand to be replayed until you hone everything.

I didn't think the story was, really, up to much though.

Edit: Owned Hitman previously, must have been on PS Plus, and got a month of PS Now to get 2, which was the easiest/cheapest way to get the entitlement.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its a pretty stunning return to form for Hitman. And really I feel like has been Hitman's real breakout into the mainstream. Its always secretly been the best stealth game but it feels like finally everyone else is cluing into how fucking cool this franchise is and I'm pretty psyched about that. I've been playing since Hitman 2 Silent Assassin on the gamecube and its been a ride seeing where this franchise has gone. Thank God IOI didn't let Square Enix ruin the franchise (i.e. replacing David Bateson as 47)

VirtuaModel

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Does the story and all the cutscenes for the first two games carry over to the third game, or just the levels? Is there any reason to play the first two games as their original releases instead of importing them into 3?

Sep 7, 2020
IO knocked it out of the park with this game. The first two in the trilogy were very good as well but this game just is a step above those two and I loved it.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
Does the story and all the cutscenes for the first two games carry over to the third game, or just the levels? Is there any reason to play the first two games as their original releases instead of importing them into 3?
The hitman trilogy is the 'world of assassination' storyline from start to finish. If you play only the maps from the third game you'll miss a ton of context. You don't miss anything by importing the first two games' worth of maps and playing within the hitman 3 SKU. The custcenes and story come along with them.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
Now if only they'd patch in full offline support so you are not left with a shell of a game when the servers go down.
So fascinating that crash got an uproar over online only requirement in a single player game but with Hitman nobody seems to care.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Is it that different from the 2016 game? I was excited to play that after hearing a ton of praise but found it extremely boring. The game felt like it played itself with hints turned on, and with hints turned off the levels were just too big and too detailed to figure out where everything was. It's been years since I played but I remember playing a level that started in a town with the hints off and not being able to make heads or tails of what I should be doing, then with hints on the game was like "Enter this random building and go this unassuming apartment on the third floor and you'll find a chef whose uniform you can use to infiltrate the target's mansion!" How in god's name would anyone find that without spending hours combing over every inch of the level?

The levels in Blood Money were the perfect size and scope to encourage exploration while making finding every possibility a reasonable goal. They're just too big with too much going on now. In the 2016 game anyway, maybe that's changed.

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yea IOI is just an incredible developer. I'm holding off and waiting for the Steam version, but I've been very close to buying it on the Series X on more than one occasion.

I can't imagine what IOI would do behind a publisher like Microsoft, it'd make a very nice acquisition. An Arkane/IOI colab would be astonishing.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Hitman 3 is Post Malone approved! (I checked the video in question and it is the actual post malone account)

OP
OP
AuthenticM

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Except for that last mission.
I think the last mission is perfect. It exists purely for narrative purposes, to funnel the player rapidly towards the ending. I think having a standard level as the last level of the game would have been a big mistake. The story demanded a shorter level with a much faster tempo to fit with where the story was.

Is it that different from the 2016 game? I was excited to play that after hearing a ton of praise but found it extremely boring. The game felt like it played itself with hints turned on, and with hints turned off the levels were just too big and too detailed to figure out where everything was. It's been years since I played but I remember playing a level that started in a town with the hints off and not being able to make heads or tails of what I should be doing, then with hints on the game was like "Enter this random building and go this unassuming apartment on the third floor and you'll find a chef whose uniform you can use to infiltrate the target's mansion!" How in god's name would anyone find that without spending hours combing over every inch of the level?

The levels in Blood Money were the perfect size and scope to encourage exploration while making finding every possibility a reasonable goal. They're just too big with too much going on now. In the 2016 game anyway, maybe that's changed.
If you did not like Hitman 2016, Hitman 3 will not change your mind about this. However, the UI is much better at communicating information. If you liked Blood Money, I have to believe that your dislike of H2016 was the result of the game not "clicking" with you yet. I would recommend you to give the game another shot. I would tell you to put Hitman 3 in your wishlist, as well as the pack of legacy levels, and get them when they are eventually on sale later this year. I assure you that it is just a matter of time before the game clicks with you. I just cannot imagine that someone who liked Blood Money could never like the new games, when the new games are the evolution of Blood Money. Going from Blood Money to the new trilogy is like going from Super Mario Bros. 1 to 3.

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
IOI just did an absolutely sublime job across all 3 of the new Hitman games. There's just an absurd amount of content for what you pay and more on the way. It's easily secured a place in my top 10 this year.

The James Bond IP is in excellent hands.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
If you did not like Hitman 2016, Hitman 3 will not change your mind about this. However, the UI is much better at communicating information. If you liked Blood Money, I have to believe that your dislike of H2016 was the result of the game not "clicking" with you yet. I would recommend you to give the game another shot. I would tell you to put Hitman 3 in your wishlist, as well as the pack of legacy levels, and get them when they are eventually on sale later this year. I assure you that it is just a matter of time before the game clicks with you. I just cannot imagine that someone who liked Blood Money could never like the new games, when the new games are the evolution of Blood Money. Going from Blood Money to the new trilogy is like going from Super Mario Bros. 1 to 3.

Disagree hard. The design between Blood Money and 2016 is very different. Like I said, the scope of the levels alone isn't even really comparable.

I beat every level in 2016 except the last one. That's more than enough of a chance for it to click IMO.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Now if only they'd patch in full offline support so you are not left with a shell of a game when the servers go down.
So fascinating that crash got an uproar over online only requirement in a single player game but with Hitman nobody seems to care.
Wait.....it can't be played offline? Even on console?

Mar 23, 2018
I'm not trying to disagree... however the "package" you're talking about is essentially a trilogy of games. So I wouldn't call it just "Hitman 3". 20 levels is from 3 games. It's super nice that you're able to play the first two games inside of 3 though. IO deserves all the praise. Can't wait for their Bond game.

SunshinePuppies

One Winged Slayer
Nov 14, 2020
You've convinced me OP. Was gonna skip this, but now I'll definitely pick it up next year when it comes out on Steam.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
I'm a little disappointed in the level selection in the new game, but yeah overall it is fantastic.

cake

Oct 25, 2017
It really is a fantastic package, having everything together in one client is super impressive. I've been working through all the Hitman 1-3 content since 3 launched (level 20'ing/doing all feats/etc on each map before moving to the next) and there's just so much it's kinda ridiculous. Only 2 maps left so nearly done, but it's been a blast exploring and learning the details of it all.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
I played 2 for like a hundred hours I think? I was very excited for 3.

I'm still excited to play it in... What like 9 months? I guess it saves me money too. I would have bought the 100 dollar one but now it'll be like 20 or something.

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
I liked 2 more myself. H3 came and went very quickly imo and the post release stuff hasn't been interesting so far.

They really flubbed the story in 3, and a few of the missions are very weak.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
If you buy Hitman 3, you can import 1 and 2 into it. It'll still launch as Hitman 3, but it'll have all three games and the ongoing storyline within it. It's how I played through it all.

What is the purpose of that? If you have 1 and 2 to import into 3, wouldn't you just play them separately?

OP
OP
AuthenticM

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What is the purpose of that? If you have 1 and 2 to import into 3, wouldn't you just play them separately?
You get to play the levels of 1 and 2 with the better mechanics of 3 (better UI, more responsive controls, etc.) and better graphics of 3. Moreover, equipment that you unlock in a level can be used in other levels. So, if you play the levels of 1 in Hitman 3, you can use any equipment or costume obtained in a hitman 1 level in a hitman 3 level, and vice versa. You can't do this if you play Hitman 1's levels in Hitman 1.

ninja edit: also, like GonzoCR said: Hitman 3, when containing the levels of its two predecessors, is smaller in file size than the previous two games. It's incredible.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
It really is a remarkable achievement.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How does it run on Playstation 5? Is there a package purchase that will just get me all the maps from all 3 games?

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Hitman 2016 and Hitman 2 are some of the best games I have played, with many hours spent trying to find a way to assassinate the targets and complete the challenges, so I'm not surprised 3 is still awesome. As soon as this game is released in Steam I'm buying it.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Defintiely start with Hitman 2016. But you can import the story levels from 2016 and Hitman 2 into Hitman 3, so if you are reasonably confident you'll enjoy it, might be better to go straight to 3 and pay for the level import.

So like, you buy all of them and then play them all within 3?

OP
OP
AuthenticM

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
How does it run on Playstation 5? Is there a package purchase that will just get me all the maps from all 3 games?
It runs perfectly; fixed 60 fps and it never dips. You can purchase the levels of Hitman 2016 and 2 as DLC on PSN.

What's the best starting point for the series?
Hitman 2016. Though for the reasons that I have mentioned, you should really buy the levels of 2016 as DLC for Hitman 3, so you can enjoy all the benefits of Hitman 3's better UI, controls and graphics.

So like, you buy all of them and then play them all within 3?
Hitman 2016 DLC for Hitman 3: https://store.playstation.com/fr-ca/product/UP4572-PPSA01768_00-S1GOTYH30000DIGI
Hitman 2 DLC for Hitman 3: https://store.playstation.com/fr-ca/product/UP4572-PPSA01768_00-S2GOLD000000DIGI

GSR

Oct 25, 2017
I had 2016 through GWG, 2 as a gift, never played them, and I finally went out and bought 3 and started the trilogy after watching streams of it.

What a great experience playing them back to back. It's a lot, but it also helped me appreciate the ways 3 played with the formula. Berlin might be my favorite level in the series.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
So much effort went into making the entire trilogy in VR, then they locked it to not only PSVR but only people who bought the PS4 version.

I don't think I've read a single impression of anyone playing the game in VR.