• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BebopCola

Jul 17, 2019
So I'm finally playing Dragon Quest XI on the Switch and I love it a comfort food game since it is such a "classic" style RPG (your enjoyment of its systems may, of course, vary), but it has awakened a long-dormant demon within me: stealing. I don't mean like walking into an NPC's house and looting it for everything I can like in Elder Scrolls/Fallout (which obviously I do). I mean in-combat stealing. Every fight I just go nuts with Erik, stripping my enemies of their dignity and possessions before I end their life under my greatsword. Most of the crap is useless BUT I DO IT ANYWAYS.

AND I LOVE IT

Long have I had the thief's illness. If an RPG game has a Steal/Mug concept, I just cannot help but utilize it until the game screams at me that there is nothing left to steal. It extended my playtimes of Final Fantasy Tactics and IX to ungodly hours as I just had make everyone else's things MY things.

Do I have any other brother/sister steal-bots here? Or am I one of the only dorks that can't help themselves?

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Can't speak for DQ but going on the rob is usually the first thing I do in any Elder Scrolls

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
source.gif

Deleted member 7883

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I do this a lot in bethesda romps but I haven't dug into it yet in JRPGs... even though I've been playing them my whole life. I neglected to steal much on my most JRPG playthru (FF7)

May 18, 2018
Hi hello. Is this a group for people that love stealing in RPG combat? I haven't seen that in some years and I think I need to go ahead and get this game soon. Yeah it will just be a MP potion BUT IT MIGHT BE SOMETHING GOOD

Akelisrain

Oct 30, 2017
Bel Air MD
This is going to sound dumb, but I usually don't do it because I feel really guilty.

Example, my brother always steals items in say Divinity original sin and I refused to take items because I felt wrong. Always been that way for some reason.

Jan 9, 2018
Sweden
I hate when bosses have rare/unique items that are hard to steal. Kind of hard to concentrate on the fight if you have to steal every round until you get it. Sometimes it takes ages too, to the point you feel like you have to abandon the item.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
OP DID YOU JUST DO SOMETHING CRIMINAL!?
Iam calling the authorities be right back..

As for stealing in game items in RPGs.. i used to move each item by picking it up outside where the house owner's eyes couldn't see and put it in my inventory.. mainly in bethesda games.. i love stealing.. fuck karma :P

Holygriever

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Back in 2002/2003 when I was first learning about pen&paper RPG, I hadn't fully grasped the differences it had to JRPGs. My first order of business was making sure I could steal.

BoF3 and FF9 made me like this.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
I rarely replay FF IX but when I do I steal every thing. I won't end a fight if the enemy has anything unstolen.

OP
OP
BebopCola

BebopCola

Jul 17, 2019
Hi hello. Is this a group for people that love stealing in RPG combat? I haven't seen that in some years and I think I need to go ahead and get this game soon. Yeah it will just be a MP potion BUT IT MIGHT BE SOMETHING GOOD

YES. Especially when you know that enemies might have different things. So I rob 15 slimes and get 14 antidotes or whatever but the 15th drops A COPPER ORE? Ohhh snap!

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Stealing in FF12 is the most satisfying shit, you can even POACH them. And it's actually necessary to earn money

Felaipes

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
yep, me too and the chime you get when you successfully steal something with erik is awesome.

Techno

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

I always steal in games.

And if I can I get unlimited inventory slots via mod or cheat.

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
I stole everything not nailed down in Oblivion and then I would vomit drop it in the floor of my home. I completely lost the use my Anvil house because it would crash the game every time I loaded into my mid thigh high dragon's hoard of armor, weapons, plates, bowls, bottles, and forks.

jnWake

Oct 25, 2017
It takes me hours to beat bosses in FFIX because of this. It doesn't help that most of them actually carry really good items.

Yarbskoo

Oct 27, 2017
I did it without even thinking in Baldur's Gate. It did not end well.

The house looting that is.

Last edited:

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I hate how in most FF games stealing is useless but in IX the main character is a thief so YOU HAVE TO

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
Most of the crap is useless BUT I DO IT ANYWAYS.
You cant imagine how wrong you are.

Stealing the main way to get better gear early, as well as the only way to truly max out your party.

For example, stealing is how you get the missing 70ish skillseeds to max everyones talent tree.
Stealing is how you get Metal King(best non special gear in DQ games) stuff without crafting very expensively.
Stealing is how you get the best general use weapons for several classes way before you can buy them.

Here an example being quite vague to avoid spoilers:

In part 3 of the game, you can steal a greatsword that has a chance of giving you the oomph effect at the start of the battle, which is deadly to normal encounters.

Also, stealing is how you get infinite money.
There is a shield a enemy that appears in groups of 4-5 has as a common steal item(meaning a high level ish Erik can steal it with a 50% chance) that can be sold for 30k gold.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
I hate when bosses have rare/unique items that are hard to steal. Kind of hard to concentrate on the fight if you have to steal every round until you get it. Sometimes it takes ages too, to the point you feel like you have to abandon the item.

Yep. I always find the steal mechanic tedious. Knowing bosses always usually give up something worthwhile, it just means one character is removed from combat until they can successfully get thing.

Its tough as the mechanic exists for a decent reason, an alternative way to earn upgrades or bonus items, and our problem is more on us being OCD slaves.

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
I hadn't stolen even once in DQXI and recently tried it out for fun after 80 hours. After a few misses, I ended up stealing a shield which was so overwhelmingly better than everything else I have that I now fear I've been playing the game wrong. Like, it's so much better than anything available in stores or recipes I've found, and I can sell it for like 30,000$. Is stealing legit the best way to gear up and I've been missing out for the entire game?

OP
OP
BebopCola

BebopCola

Jul 17, 2019
You cant imagine how wrong you are.

Stealing the main way to get better gear early, as well as the only way to truly max out your party.

For example, stealing is how you get the missing 70ish skillseeds to max everyones talent tree.
Stealing is how you get Metal King(best non special gear in DQ games) stuff without crafting very expensively.
Stealing is how you get the best general use weapons for several classes way before you can buy them.

Here an example being quite vague to avoid spoilers:

In part 3 of the game, you can steal a greatsword that has a chance of giving you the oomph effect at the start of the battle, which is deadly to normal encounters.

Also, stealing is how you get infinite money.
There is a shield a enemy that appears in groups of 4-5 has as a common steal item(meaning a high level ish Erik can steal it with a 50% chance) that can be sold for 30k gold.

So what you're saying is that my Crimes are actually the correct way to play? Sweet, sweet vindication!

And now that you mention it, I just got to Gondolia last night and did start seeing stuff I could steal that weren't yet available in shops/crafting like the Wizard Rod (I think?)

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019
Steal all the things! In the original FFIV easytype that was released here in the US back in 91, there used to be a fight in the final dungeons where you could steal Artemis arrows, strongest arrow in the game, and they did like double or 4x damage to dragons. Perfect for Rosa in that part of the game where dragons are everywhere. The fight was a Warlock and a Kary. I would Mute/Stop the Warlock and then use Fast on Edge and have him go to town. I wouldn't kill the warlock because then the Kary goes on a timer where her second or third attack is a "Hug" where she basically kills herself, IIRC. So using Stop keeps the battle going on forever while you keep stealing more and more arrows. Once you have a stack of 99 you're pretty much set for the remainder of the game.

In OP's case, Erik is pretty much only good for stealing until he gets his replicating and 100% critical chance abilities. And even then those are for boss or metal farming only.

I am playing Octopath right now and I am yoinking everything I can with Therion.

Literally the only reason I have Therion in my party ever is to steal from the townspeople. I save/restart if I fail a theft.