• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ThingsRscary

Banned
Mar 10, 2019
I know the store is more than that but I wanted to highlight this part.

I grow up in the environment since I was young you are poor you can't have what rich kids have.
That I was told.
I really hated going out because of the differences. My cousins were the rich ones I and my brother were the ones who didn't have any fancy things.
Going to their fancy houses and meeting their fancy friends. Made a huge hole in my soul. I grow up and took care of myself. In some parts, I forgot that by years goes by.

I never played FF7 the original. Like I played but didn't like it because of the graphics back then since I played my dear FF9 first.

spoilers warning.

When the gang goes to the Shinra building. Seeing those fancy things and you are from the slum. I felt like an old forgotten feeling you don't belong here that what I felt. That where it hits me. I can relate to that I can see the differences you are from those people who are working their ass off because of the reactor explosion/plate in sector 7.

going back and forth between sectors 5 and 7 and then going up to see the buildings "high class".

Never thought of this game would hit me so hard. I was them once. now I am not. life changed me to become those people on the train who called the gangs the tarriest.
Simple things became nothing to me. I become arrogant not looking at the inside as I was a long time ago. I used to say life will get better and everything going to be a happy ending. Now that day came and everything is better except I forgot what "I have enough" feeling was.
I used to help people even though I was busy more than now and now I am not.

FF7 remake made me realize that people do change and the game was a mirror reflecting what I was and I have become I am glad that I have played this game.

Nov 23, 2017
I'm so thrilled that you enjoyed this game. These themes were prevalent in the original game and shine here in this Remake. I have similar feelings to yours and I'm happy to hear your story.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
For any of its other flaws, FFVII does a fantastic job illustrating class divide and the corruption of corporatism.

I also recommend Final Fantasy Tactics for a more medieval, but no less relevant, take on the idea.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The setting is quite beautifully realized. The way the plates tower over the sky of the slums is awe inducing

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
this is one of my favourite aspects of this game as well

square could have chickened out on showing these themes in the remake, but instead they leaned all the way in on fleshing out the political themes that were present in the original. it's great. i'm happy to hear how much it resonated with you OP!

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I'm really glad they leaned hard into this stuff in the remake. I love the cyberpunk feel of Midgar and an important part of cyberpunk is class stratification and the power rich corporations have over everything. Good to hear you enjoyed the game!

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
The juxtoposition between the upper and lower class is probably one of the most prevalant themes in FF7. I can think of at least 3 major locations that lean on it.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think the game depicted the disparity as well as it could have (other than the Shinra building) - I was really disappointed at how little time you spent topside. Some of the areas you go through in chapter 2 I would have loved to explore in more detail.

I think with the game's padded runtime it's a shame we didn't see more of the people living on the plate.
It would have been amazing to spend more time in sector 7 before the plate falls, as the game doesn't do a particularly good job reminding you that Jessie's mother lives in sector 7. It would have been amazing to feel the animosity between the undercity and those living above beforehand only to see them both wiped out by Shinra.

OP
OP
ThingsRscary

ThingsRscary

Banned
Mar 10, 2019
For any of its other flaws, FFVII does a fantastic job illustrating class divide and the corruption of corporatism.

I also recommend Final Fantasy Tactics for a more medieval, but no less relevant, take on the idea.
I actually love the artistic theme that Tactics have. Similar to FF9 and 12 which are the only ones I actually completed from the FF series + FF7 remake. some guys from Twitter recommended me FF6. do you any feedback regarding FF6?

The setting is quite beautifully realized. The way the plates tower over the sky of the slums is awe inducing
Yeah, I have many screenshots for the night time when The plates lights on top. They really nailed it on terms of how to make the use of the old workaround method by using static pictures for far distance instead of creating 3D plate parts.

I agree, the game really drove home the class differences in the city.

I mean it is a simple idea like poor vs rich but FF7 really captured that tune really well. Maybe because of the brilliant writing?

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
I actually love the artistic theme that Tactics have. Similar to FF9 and 12 which are the only ones I actually completed from the FF series + FF7 remake. some guys from Twitter recommended me FF6. do you any feedback regarding FF6?

You mean in regards to this specific topic or in general? I can speak generally that FF6 is a good game that never clicked with me, maybe I need a Remake of it for it to work for me lol

Something about that game always felt off to me, I never could put my finger on what it is - but something in it prevented me from getting too invested in anything happening in the game. In that sense its similiar to FF1, 2 and 3 to me. But keep in mind I am not sharing the opinion on it most people do, there is a pretty good chance you could love it based on your preferences you present here. Though I also like similiar things as you do in the franchise so I thought my perspective might be worthwhile.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Boy, if you thought Midgar was fucking brilliant (and it is) wait until the story gets to the Gold Saucer and Barret's backstory.

Play the original FFVII, by the way, because it's an incredible game even today.

Mimosa

Community & Social Media Manager
Verified
Oct 23, 2019
I don't think the game depicted the disparity as well as it could have (other than the Shinra building) - I was really disappointed at how little time you spent topside. Some of the areas you go through in chapter 2 I would have loved to explore in more detail.

I think with the game's padded runtime it's a shame we didn't see more of the people living on the plate.
It would have been amazing to spend more time in sector 7 before the plate falls, as the game doesn't do a particularly good job reminding you that Jessie's mother lives in sector 7. It would have been amazing to feel the animosity between the undercity and those living above beforehand only to see them both wiped out by Shinra.

OMG I was wondering if the plate falling included the people ABOVE the slums too - I'm playing the OG and there's a scene that illustrates that indeed it does.

The fact that Jessie's mom lives there too makes it even more tragic...

But something that bothered me in the OG -
An NPC mentions there were no civilian casualties ---WHAT?? how is that possible like, at all? Unless it's meant to be propaganda that's obviously false?

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
One of my favorite minor characters is the Shinra Middle Manager. You see him twice on the train and in multiple locations around the slums. Sometimes he's with his wife and daughter. He's shown being at odds with Barret, but he's not a bad person. He's just ignorant. He wants to work toward a better life for his family and friends, and he wants to be part of a higher cause. But he doesn't realize the true nature of the company he serves. We see this elsewhere in the game, especially Shinra HQ, where an elevator ride is interrupted by well-meaning office workers just trying to do their jobs, or calling their mom on their phone. The Shinra Electric Power Company could've been depicted as some monolithic evil, but the game shows how within it there are many decent folk.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I love 6, but it doesn't have those sorts of themes. There are some nuanced ideas in the story but it does hearken back to a bit more of a traditional evil-for-evil's-sake type of narrative. That said, it has some great gameplay and characters, so worth playing.

(Just not before Final Fantasy Tacticssss)

OP
OP
ThingsRscary

ThingsRscary

Banned
Mar 10, 2019
this is one of my favourite aspects of this game as well

square could have chickened out on showing these themes in the remake, but instead they leaned all the way in on fleshing out the political themes that were present in the original. it's great. i'm happy to hear how much it resonated with you OP!
I'm really glad they leaned hard into this stuff in the remake. I love the cyberpunk feel of Midgar and an important part of cyberpunk is class stratification and the power rich corporations have over everything. Good to hear you enjoyed the game!

That is what good games are about. A message :)

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
OMG I was wondering if the plate falling included the people ABOVE the slums too - I'm playing the OG and there's a scene that illustrates that indeed it does.

The fact that Jessie's mom lives there too makes it even more tragic...

But something that bothered me in the OG -
An NPC mentions there were no civilian casualties ---WHAT?? how is that possible like, at all? Unless it's meant to be propaganda that's obviously false?

I don't remember that NPC but I'm pretty sure it's propaganda. Civilians canonically died.

OP
OP
ThingsRscary

ThingsRscary

Banned
Mar 10, 2019
One of my favorite minor characters is the Shinra Middle Manager. You see him twice on the train and in multiple locations around the slums. Sometimes he's with his wife and daughter. He's shown being at odds with Barret, but he's not a bad person. He's just ignorant. He wants to work toward a better life for his family and friends, and he wants to be part of a higher cause. But he doesn't realize the true nature of the company he serves. We see this elsewhere in the game, especially Shinra HQ, where an elevator ride is interrupted by well-meaning office workers just trying to do their jobs, or calling their mom on their phone. The Shinra Electric Power Company could've been depicted as some monolithic evil, but the game shows how within it there are many decent folk.
There is also that woman who was crying because of her family in one of the sectors. You can see that you have a chance to work with those big companies and serve them although you are one of the lower class that actually knows the differences.

I love 6, but it doesn't have those sorts of themes. There are some nuanced ideas in the story but it does hearken back to a bit more of a traditional evil-for-evil's-sake type of narrative. That said, it has some great gameplay and characters, so worth playing.

(Just not before Final Fantasy Tacticssss)

this one?
51-fc-TAgyL._AC_.jpg

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth

Yeah, I have many screenshots for the night time when The plates lights on top. They really nailed it on terms of how to make the use of the old workaround method by using static pictures for far distance instead of creating 3D plate parts.

I mean it is a simple idea like poor vs rich but FF7 really captured that tune really well. Maybe because of the brilliant writing?

It certainly helped. I think that by simply showing characters other than the main ones really helped flesh out the world and gave perspective that was only touched on or hinted/inferred that was happening.

Oct 8, 2019
This is why I loved the side quest in the remake. When you arrive in the slums of Sector 7 the people have abandoned the factory since its overrun with monsters, the places to get scrap are overrun with monsters, and Shinra refuses to send in any troops to help the people. It really shows how desperate the situation is and how Shinra has created this tiered system where the people on the plate live in comfort, while the slums have nothing.

Even getting music for jukebox is a huge comfort for these people.

I also loved how as the game goes on, as Shinra becomes worse, the people become so desperate that they begin to trust Shinra more, just like how George W Bush's approval rating skyrocketed into the 90's after September 11. They believe that Wutai is behind the reactor bombings, and plate fall with Shinra never even bothering to show proof, they just need some comfort that everything will get better eventually as the idea of the very sky itself falling becomes a massive worry.