• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 46958

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I have put in 20 hours into DQ IX in one week and I actually love it.

I was going to give it a quick run through after having almost given up on acquiring the DLC content locked away in the card. I was tenacious enough to find a way over that wall, and I'm glad.

But even without it's DLC, DQ IX is possibly the most addictive entry in the series (for me personally) after XI.

And ten years later, IX doesn't even feel like it's aged much. Like the Krak Pot, IX feels like the direct amalgamation of III, VII, and VIII.

I really like it's vignettes so far too. The game feels like an improved VII. For me anyway.

This is even without touching the grottoes or Post-Game DLC. The sidequests are also very good.

The graphics, while aged, still have their charms, and it looks like a retro contemporary ps1 game if that even makes sense.

IDK, I love it. And I was only expecting to like it. I'm pretty sure it's going to be XI > IX > V > VIII when I'm done.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
It's still one of my favorite entries in the series. I was hopelessly addicted to it on my commute back when it came out. If they ever remake it with online play I'm so finished lol

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Don't worry OP, I got you. Break the charger. The DS (3DS?) will eventually die and then you'll have to stop.

I haven't played Dragon Quest IX yet, but I've seen the praise. Hopefully I can manage to get around to it one day.

Oct 28, 2017
Really like IX, but I had the opportunity to play it both solo and with a group of people and it is a vastly different game when played in couch co-op, which truly makes it one of the best games in the series. It is such a shame they left it to die with the DS.

Gwynbleidd

Oct 27, 2017
So many memories of playing this with my friends till 3 in the morning. My favorite entry in the series by far. DS was a hell of a machine

Tygerjaw

Oct 25, 2017
It's easily one of the best DQ games. At least for me, it hits the sweet spot in terms of length, vignettes and overall charm. The only other DQ games that liked more were VIII and XI.

chairhome

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando
Playing it when streetpass was active was so good. I remember getting special dungeons through streetpass and spotpass.

DHR54

Oh well.
Oct 26, 2017
Canada
When this game gets an eventual remake/port/updates, it is imperative they preserve the multiplayer. Me and my roommates easily put 300hour into the game and eagerly await some form of second coming.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Playing it back when it was still newish is one of my fondest memories on the DS. 20 hours will turn into 200 if you're not careful. LOL

lucablight

Oct 27, 2017
It's the worst post SNES mainline Dragon Quest title. What's the point of having multiple vocations if they barely share any skills? It means you're putting in all this effort to acquire skills and you barely get any progression because you lose them once you change jobs. The characters have no personality since they're blank slates. It's just another example of how Level 5 couldn't even make Dragon Quest not be one of their beautiful looking but mediocre games.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
It's probably the only DQ I didn't care for, if not outright hate. Now that I think about it, I can't even remember anything about it.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I have put in 20 hours into DQ IX in one week and I actually love it.

I was going to give it a quick run through after having almost given up on acquiring the DLC content locked away in the card. I was tenacious enough to find a way over that wall, and I'm glad.

But even without it's DLC, DQ IX is possibly the most addictive entry in the series (for me personally) after XI.

And ten years later, IX doesn't even feel like it's aged much. Like the Krak Pot, IX feels like the direct amalgamation of III, VII, and VIII.

I really like it's vignettes so far too. The game feels like an improved VII. For me anyway.

This is even without touching the grottoes or Post-Game DLC. The sidequests are also very good.

The graphics, while aged, still have their charms, and it looks like a retro contemporary ps1 game if that even makes sense.

IDK, I love it. And I was only expecting to like it. I'm pretty sure it's going to be XI > IX > V > VIII when I'm done.
I'm pretty sure people found a way to add the free downloadable content back into the game with a DNS

Faiyaz

Nov 30, 2017
Bangladesh
It's such a great game. Not my favourite DQ, but pretty awesome and unique in its own way. Man, I wish it had a remaster/port similar to DQ VIII for the 3DS.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
Yeah it's a fun DQ for sure. I mean a lot of the story is a blur but damn if Stella isn't one of my favorite non playable DQ characters ever!

Also Grottoes. Nuff said

Antony

Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation Home
An online-enabled remake is my most wanted game in the world.
XI has now surpassed this as my favourite in the series but it still holds a very firm place in my heart.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
This game showcase that characters are what makes an rpg memorable because the story is pretty damn good at times. Yet the lack of characterization on the protagonist really makes it forgettable.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Only 20 hours in a week?

tenor.gif

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
I liked it quite a bit. Loved that you could see the equipment change the appearance of your characters. Didn't like the grotto system too much though. Still one of the better DQ games.

NioA

Dec 16, 2019
Loved it despite the shallow plot and the absence of the party chat (which is almost a dealbreaker for a DQ game). The battle system is possibly the best in the series and dungeons were pretty cool and also, don't forget that this one was the game that got rid of the casual encounters. I also think the map is weirdly detailed, more than you would expect for a ds game, it's also a looker if you ask me.

too bad sometimes it requires to do some really dumb things, like the quest to unlock the armamentalist (which was what, fight three metal slime only attacking with a staff? Terrible)or the fact that the sage job is unlocked only in the final dungeon... Stuff like that. The job system needs a bit of overhaul if they ever decided to remake it. Obviously, should it come to the Switch, it would be a D1 purchase.

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
I got so tired of the slooooooooow combat that I dropped it like fifteen hours in. A remake with a faster option would be swell.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
because of a power surge frying my PC and PS4 i dug my 3DS and a copy of DQIX out of my closet

i remember kinda sorta hating it back in the day but ... eh, this is fun. maybe i was just butthurt over the game being portable/DS exclusive back then i dunno

KaiPow

Oct 25, 2017
I played a ton of it when it was fresh. Don't think I used any weapon except for the fan.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
The only Dragon Quest game I really didn't enjoy. Stella and the train just didn't work for me, and the blank slate characters with no party chat just removed a ton of the fun. I imagine it was better in multiplayer but as someone who mainly played RPGs on the train at the time, it was a massive disappointment to me.

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I love 9! The summer it came out I played most of the game in co-op with my brother. It worked so well and was such a phenomenal experience.

decoyplatypus

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
It's the worst post SNES mainline Dragon Quest title. What's the point of having multiple vocations if they barely share any skills? It means you're putting in all this effort to acquire skills and you barely get any progression because you lose them once you change jobs. The characters have no personality since they're blank slates. It's just another example of how Level 5 couldn't even make Dragon Quest not be one of their beautiful looking but mediocre games.

I hate to defend Level 5, but isn't Armor Project is responsible for the game design (including the odd decision that characters would mostly not retain skills when changing jobs)? And the characters are blank slates because it was a throwback to Dragon Quest III, still one of the most beloved games in the series. Doesn't mean you have to like it, of course, but I don't think you can lay that at the feet of Level 5.

NeoBob688

Oct 27, 2017
I initially tried playing this on PC, gave up after a while, then replayed on Switch and loved it til the end. Just too many improvements. Great game.

Oct 29, 2017
I didn't enjoy my time with it, but I can see how/why people did. It always just felt a bit off for me as you don't really have a party and I didn't find much of the NPCs memorable. I didn't find the helper fairy that fun to interact with, either...

Glad you're enjoying it, though! I remember when people were doing the Treasure Map trading with the SpotPass feature and it was neat to follow what people were doing to get levels, gold, and gear!

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Loved it despite the shallow plot and the absence of the party chat (which is almost a dealbreaker for a DQ game). The battle system is possibly the best in the series and dungeons were pretty cool and also, don't forget that this one was the game that got rid of the casual encounters.

They first got rid of random encounters (I think that's what you meant) in DQM:J a few years prior.

I enjoyed the idea of a roguelike post-game, fully visible equipment and the class system, but the cast being create-a-characters made it forgettable and the story was a little too silly.

Probably the DQ title that needs a remake the most, with a real cast and gameplay fixes.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Never finished it. It's the only DQ that bored me, and it bored me a lot. I hated the loot and having no real party members. It's also at that point that I grew really tired of Sugiyama's style and I couldn't stand the stupid battle theme 😐